Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #6061
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
Hi - I put in a 1TB WD (listed) drive back in December. One night 2 weeks ago we turn on the TV and it's pixelating/distorting so bad it lost 5 min of a 1 hour program. I did system restart and after it completed, it spontaneously rebooted about 20 seconds later. So I powercycled, and all was fine with no recurrence.

last night, we noticed intermittent noticeable, but not severe, pixelating/distorting on a program.

so I'm thinking of pulling the drive and running the WD diagnostics. Any harm? Any suggestions?

thanks!
/j
No harm in just testing. I might wait a bit longer to see if it happens again - I just hate going through the trouble to find nothing.

If you do end up hooking it up to a computer you might take a truncated WinMFS backup to restore in the event of a complete drive bork. I'd also recommend transferring whatever content off to the computer (TiVo to Go, kmttg) prior to the operation so you don't lose anything should that bork occur.

I always do this prior to pulling a drive - just in case.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #6062
richsadams

Quote:
Hi - I put in a 1TB WD (listed) drive back in December. One night 2 weeks ago we turn on the TV and it's pixelating/distorting so bad it lost 5 min of a 1 hour program. I did system restart and after it completed, it spontaneously rebooted about 20 seconds later. So I powercycled, and all was fine with no recurrence.

last night, we noticed intermittent noticeable, but not severe, pixelating/distorting on a program.

so I'm thinking of pulling the drive and running the WD diagnostics. Any harm? Any suggestions?

thanks!
/j
Bummer. Sometimes that can be caused by the incoming signal...something going on on the broadcast end or somewhere in between if you have cable. It could also be as you suspect something on your end.

You might first ensure that all of your connections and components are good...coax (both inside and out), HDMI, etc. Sometimes a loose of failing cable, splitter, amp, what have you, will cause what you're seeing. Try also connecting TiVo's power directly to a wall outlet if you're using a surge protector or a UPS (UPS being highly recommended). Power issues can sometimes cause those symptoms as well.

If everything is in good shape you could run TiVo's built-in SMART hard drive diganostic via Kickstart 54. That might give you an idea if there's a problem. You could also try running Kickstart 57 and/or 58 which will attempt to repair problems. More here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

Otherwise, you could pull the drive and run WD's Lifeguard diagnostics. The "quick test" may or may not reveal some issues but it leaves all of the data intact. The extended read/write/read diagnostic is really the one that will give you what you're looking for. Unfortunately that will wipe everything on the drive and you'd have to re-image it with your original files or TiVo OEM drive again.

Oh, FWIW I recall a couple of folks saying that their cell phones were causing that sort of trouble. Once they turned them off (or maybe removed them from nearby) the problem disappeared. Go figure.

It would probably be worthwhile to read the "Troubleshooting and Repairing Your TiVo" sticky thread there:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416062

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes.

EDIT: And what Rocko said...great minds think alike.

Last edited by richsadams : 06-25-2010 at 03:09 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #6063
jeffw_00

Thanks guys - All good advice (except maybe pulling the 1TB of programs onto my PC as a just-in-case - sounds a bit time-consuming 8-}). I feel good about my power and connections (the coax to the TiVo is of superior quality and wrench-tight, only one splitter between it and the curb), but running the kickstart stuff feels pretty benign and easier than cracking open the case. Maybe I'll start there. I'll review that thread as well.

Thanks!
/j
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #6064
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Has anyone had their WD10EVCS drives die on them? I've had mine in my S3 for more than 2 years now and I think it may be dying, but I'm not certain.
TiVo Mini

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #6065
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
Has anyone had their WD10EVCS drives die on them? I've had mine in my S3 for more than 2 years now and I think it may be dying, but I'm not certain.
I have a WD10EVCS in our Series3 and I'm not sure if it was a recent FiOS outage or if the drive is becoming a problem but I've experienced several odd freezes recently. It's mostly when I turn the TV on, there's a good picture on the screen, but it just sits there like it was paused. I can push "Live TV" on the remote and it will switch to the other tuner and things are fine again on both tuners. Very strange. It started immediately after Verizon FiOS had a three-state outage on June 7th so that may have something to do with it or it may just be a coincidence. Our drive is about two years old so we may be in the same boat. Hard to say. What are the symptoms? If you really think it's heading south you should transfer any recordings you want to keep to your computer if you can. These things rarely get any better. It can happen to the best of drives. FWIW it has a three-year warranty.

You might have a read through my post to jeffw_00 just above to see if any of those things might help.

Best of luck!

Last edited by richsadams : 06-25-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #6066
jeepguy_1980
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I have a WD10EVCS in our Series3 and I'm not sure if it was a recent FiOS outage or if the drive is becoming a problem but I've experienced several odd freezes recently. It's mostly when I turn the TV on, there's a good picture on the screen, but it just sits there like it was paused. I can push "Live TV" on the remote and it will switch to the other tuner and things are fine again on both tuners. Very strange. It started immediately after Verizon FiOS had a three-state outage on June 7th so that may have something to do with it or it may just be a coincidence. Our drive is about two years old so we may be in the same boat. Hard to say. What are the symptoms? If you really think it's heading south you should transfer any recordings you want to keep to your computer if you can. These things rarely get any better. It can happen to the best of drives. FWIW it has a three-year warranty.

You might have a read through my post to jeffw_00 just above to see if any of those things might help.

Best of luck!
I'll run some tests this weekend on the drive.

Yesterday, the TiVo made all of my downloaded VOD shows (i.e. CNET) sound like the people were chipmunks talking through a fan. The voices were high pitched and broken. After a reboot the files played just fine. Then today it did the same thing. I rebooted and they were playing just fine, but then one video froze, pixelated, and let out a really loud high-pitched screech. I watched another video and halfway through the TiVo just rebooted (first time I ever got a random reboot). I watched one more video after the random reboot and it froze, pixelated, and let a high-pitched screech.

Also, the VoD files are taking forever to download (starting today). I have a 25/25 FiOS connection and it was taking the TiVo nearly 30 minutes to download one CNET video.

Even though the VoD video froze while playing back, the TiVo never locked up. So far my problems seem limited to the VoD files, but it seems strange that a reboot will allow me to play them back just fine (without re-downloading).
TiVo Mini

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #6067
jeffw_00

Quote:

...If everything is in good shape you could run TiVo's built-in SMART hard drive diganostic via Kickstart 54. That might give you an idea if there's a problem. You could also try running Kickstart 57 and/or 58 which will attempt to repair problems....
Ok - after reading your suggestions I may, or may not, have anything wrong with my drive - thanks. so..

Is the risk of running the kickstarts low enough that it 'can't hurt' to run them, or should I wait until I really think I have a problem? (i mean, I don't want to -look- for trouble 8-})

thanks!
/J
Old 06-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #6068
richsadams

Quote:
Ok - after reading your suggestions I may, or may not, have anything wrong with my drive - thanks. so..

Is the risk of running the kickstarts low enough that it 'can't hurt' to run them, or should I wait until I really think I have a problem? (i mean, I don't want to -look- for trouble 8-})

thanks!
/J
There's really zero risk running any Kickstarts. The only thing that might happen is that a recording could be lost if KS57 finds and isolates bad sectors on the drive where part of a recording resides. Otherwise, they should have no affect on your TiVo.

Also note that MFS assert (KS57) will generate what's commonly known as the GSOD (or Green Screen of Death...which it really isn't). KS58 however is transparent in the respect that it doesn't generate any screen and will simply reboot TiVo when it's done. If you run KS54 it's very self explanatory, just try and make sure you follow the directions in the KS post.

I'm going to take a little time and run them on my drive this weekend as well.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by richsadams : 06-26-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Add GSOD graphic link
Old 06-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #6069
jeffw_00

Quote:
There's really zero risk running any Kickstarts. The only thing that might happen is that a recording could be lost if KS57 finds and isolates bad sectors on the drive where part of a recording resides. Otherwise, they should have no affect on your TiVo.
gracias - will give it a try
/j
Old 06-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #6070
richsadams

Quote:
gracias - will give it a try
/j
Glad to help. I added a couple of things to my post if you missed them.

Have a great weekend!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #6071
jppowers

2TB Ugrade

Just used WinMFS to image a WD 2TB drive. The Supersize option failed. Has anyone who used the Mr B image previously noted that behaviour?

JP
jppowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #6072
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppowers View Post
Just used WinMFS to image a WD 2TB drive. The Supersize option failed. Has anyone who used the Mr B image previously noted that behaviour?

JP
I don't remember if I actually tried the supersize option, but I don't remember running into any problems as far as prepping a new 2TB drive.
It was quite a while ago though,so I could be mistaken.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #6073
MPSAN

Hello ALL:

Thanks to Verizon (long story ), I need to upgrade our Bedroom THD to 1 TB. We do not need any more than that and (I would think a 1.5 - 2 TB drive would be nosier) wonder if the WD10EARS would still be the quietest drive to get. I believe they are better than the Seagate or Hitachi for the bedroom. I believe that I will need wdidle3, but will I need to set AAM?

Waiting for July 4th sales and do not want to pay more than $60 including shipping, although FRYS has them for $68 now in the store!

Last edited by MPSAN : 06-30-2010 at 02:55 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #6074
rxrepli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppowers View Post

JP
No need to worry about the Supersize option failing. You will still get the appropriate number of recording hours from the Mr. B image. When I did the upgrade Mfsinfo reported the following:

Total SA SD Hours: 2083 Total DTV SD Hours: 1818 100 % Free
Software: 11.0d-01-2-652 Tivo Model: not set in MFS

Enjoy your Supersize TiVo!
rxrepli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #6075
MPSAN

Is this still true? I had thought that enough people here have now used the WD10EARS and said it was great and 4k sectors were OK ...and quiet. I am asking as I am about an hour away from getting 2 of these drives from FRYS.

From the FAQ

Western Digital's WDxxEARS drive features a unique 4KB physical sector that exhibits reduced performance under software (like TiVo's) that expects 512 byte sectors. It is not clear to what degree this affects TiVo responsiveness.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #6076
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Is this still true? I had thought that enough people here have now used the WD10EARS and said it was great and 4k sectors were OK ...and quiet. I am asking as I am about an hour away from getting 2 of these drives from FRYS.

From the FAQ

Western Digital's WDxxEARS drive features a unique 4KB physical sector that exhibits reduced performance under software (like TiVo's) that expects 512 byte sectors. It is not clear to what degree this affects TiVo responsiveness.
I used WD10EADS and WD10EVCS and WD10EVDS and all needed only nothing or (for the EADS) wdidle. Never messed with the physical sector size (if you even can).
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #6077
richsadams

Quote:

From the FAQ

That entry is outdated. As many others have mentioned, the WD10EARS works fine in TiVo. IIRC some have had to address the Intellipark feature while others haven't. Only the EVDS models have the AAM set to 128 so although they're quiet out of the box, I'd plan on adjusting the AAM on your new bedroom drive at least.

Happy upgrading!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #6078
MPSAN

Quote:
That entry is outdated. As many others have mentioned, the WD10EARS works fine in TiVo. IIRC some have had to address the Intellipark feature while others haven't. Only the EVDS models have the AAM set to 128 so although they're quiet out of the box, I'd plan on adjusting the AAM on your new bedroom drive at least.

Happy upgrading!
I am back. I will adjust the AAM on both. The drives have a date of 25 December 2009. Should I try to use them without wdidle3, as I have 11.g, or have we figured out by now that we need it. I guess I wonder if it is worth trying.

If I were not going to Fry's for something else, I would have waited for the July 4th ads, but $68 is not that bad.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #6079
richsadams

Quote:
I am back. I will adjust the AAM on both. The drives have a date of 25 December 2009. Should I try to use them without wdidle3, as I have 11.g, or have we figured out by now that we need it. I guess I wonder if it is worth trying.

If I were not going to Fry's for something else, I would have waited for the July 4th ads, but $68 is not that bad.
$68 is a good deal...need we remember the $259 plus MX-1 enclosure many of us paid for the 500GB eSATA drives we bought when we discovered the Series3 expansion hack?

AFAIK the drives you found at Fry's are older than most have been using here so wdidle3 may be in order. Me? I'd try one w/o doing it and see what happens...if you have time that is.

Have fun!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #6080
yukit

Quote:
The drives have a date of 25 December 2009. Should I try to use them without wdidle3, as I have 11.g, or have we figured out by now that we need it.
Yes, you will likely to require to disable Intellipark.

I believe the build date of the drive must be Mar 2010 or later.

My WD20EARS built on Feb 19 required wdidle3.
XL 658
S2 540
Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #6081
durbin

New WD 1TB : WDG1S10000VN

My 500GB WD drive has failed. I was looking at amazon and found the 1TB for $119 and that seems like an excellent price. But, it says this is an updated drive and requires a firmware upgrade from tivo.

"Firmware updates from Tivo that need to be downloaded to Tivo boxes before they will work with our new DVR Expander" Any ideas on how to know if you have this update?
durbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #6082
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbin View Post
My 500GB WD drive has failed. I was looking at amazon and found the 1TB for $119 and that seems like an excellent price. But, it says this is an updated drive and requires a firmware upgrade from tivo.

"Firmware updates from Tivo that need to be downloaded to Tivo boxes before they will work with our new DVR Expander" Any ideas on how to know if you have this update?
Sorry to hear about your "loss". All firmware updates are automatic...nothing to do on your end. Just follow the installation instructions that come with it or on TiVo's website and you'll be good to go.

Enjoy!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #6083
durbin

Thanks for the info. Yes, lost every recording. Could not download shows with kmttg or desktop. Tivo would reboot during the download.
durbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #6084
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
Yes, you will likely to require to disable Intellipark.

I believe the build date of the drive must be Mar 2010 or later.

My WD20EARS built on Feb 19 required wdidle3.
Well, I did it along with AAM. I had a strange issue with the bootable wdidle3, however, so once I got it going, I did both drives. I did not want to do this again. This may help some and MAY want to be in the FAQ. Section V.14 sort of mentions this, but does not say that you may run into a situation where you can ONLY run 1 command. So don't waste it on anything other than a wdidle3 /D.

I connected the WD10EARS to my MoBo Raid controller. Although it IS configured for RAID and NOT for a legacy OS when I ran wdidle3 /R it showed the WD10EARS as set to 8 seconds. Whatever I did after that just hung everything. I set the BIOS to make the S-ATA/RAID controller as EIDE, but it did not matter.

With everything set as before, I tried commands again. I would do a wdidle3 /R to see what it was set to, but then whidle3 /D and everything else would hang the system.

THE FIX...for me anyway...

I booted the CD again with the WD10EARS OFF. When I was at the DOS prompt, I turned the WD10EARS on and waited for it to spin up and ready. Now, when I did a wdidle3 /D it came back and reported that it was now set to 3720 seconds...62 minutes. At that point, if I tried a wdidle3 /R, it would hang. So, I turned the drive off, rebooted, and turned the drive back on. When I now did a wdidle3 /R it now shows 3720 seconds instead of the 8.0 seconds it showed before, so it DID work.

Bottom line...if you get these hangs at every command, try what I had to do. I see several posts saying that WDIDLE3 did not work for them. Perhaps the issue is that the system will only take 1 command per boot! I do not know why, but this was the only thing that worked for me.

Last edited by MPSAN : 07-01-2010 at 04:28 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #6085
richsadams

Quote:
Well, I did it along with AAM.
Sooooo...are you in 3TB territory (total) happy TiVoland now?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #6086
MPSAN

Quote:
Sooooo...are you in 3TB territory (total) happy TiVoland now?
Not yet. Can you call my wife and tell her to get the heck off of the system I built for her?

I used mine to run wdidle3 and hddscan, but want to use her system for the copy stuff. I want to get at least the system in the Theater Room done as HBO has the Complete John Adams series going on Saturday. I could always record it on the already running 1 TB TIVO upstairs and then just MRV ...OH...never mind!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #6087
richsadams

Quote:
Not yet. Can you call my wife and tell her to get the heck off of the system I built for her?

I used mine to run wdidle3 and hddscan, but want to use her system for the copy stuff. I want to get at least the system in the Theater Room done as HBO has the Complete John Adams series going on Saturday.
No, no matter what anyone says, I really do value my life. So no calls to anyone else's wives!

Thanks for the John Adams Series tip...saw it when it first aired...excellent mini-series. I'll be able to recommend it to some friends that missed it the first time around. Too bad we can't copy it now.

Happy upgrading...when you can anyway.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #6088
MPSAN

Quote:
No, no matter what anyone says, I really do value my life. So no calls to anyone else's wives!

Thanks for the John Adams Series tip...saw it when it first aired...excellent mini-series. I'll be able to recommend it to some friends that missed it the first time around. Too bad we can't copy it now.

Happy upgrading...when you can anyway.
Well, that is why I d/l the HBO/Cinemax Monthly pdf from hbo.com.

Well, she has an appointment at about 4:45, so I will do it then. With hddscan and wdidle3 run already I hope it will go OK.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #6089
MPSAN

One of two upgraded

Well, I upgraded one of them. Not sure I have an issue or not. I am letting it run now. I did wdidle3 and AAM. Then I did a copy. I put the new WD10EARS in and have the 157 hours. I added 7 John Adams shows (the complete series) on HBO this Saturday and it then did a reboot a few minutes later...not good. It came back and said getting channel info...why, who knows. It then did another reboot and has been running ever since. I have seen people say that they went through a few reboots and then all was OK. If it happens again, I will take the new 2nd drive and try it in that TIVO. I would think it is not the drive but who knows.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #6090
yukit

Quote:
Well, I did it along with AAM. I had a strange issue with the bootable wdidle3, however, so once I got it going, I did both drives. I did not want to do this again. This may help some and MAY want to be in the FAQ. Section V.14 sort of mentions this, but does not say that you may run into a situation where you can ONLY run 1 command. So don't waste it on anything other than a wdidle3 /D.

I connected the WD10EARS to my MoBo Raid controller. Although it IS configured for RAID and NOT for a legacy OS when I ran wdidle3 /R it showed the WD10EARS as set to 8 seconds. Whatever I did after that just hung everything. I set the BIOS to make the S-ATA/RAID controller as EIDE, but it did not matter.

With everything set as before, I tried commands again. I would do a wdidle3 /R to see what it was set to, but then whidle3 /D and everything else would hang the system.

THE FIX...for me anyway...

I booted the CD again with the WD10EARS OFF. When I was at the DOS prompt, I turned the WD10EARS on and waited for it to spin up and ready. Now, when I did a wdidle3 /D it came back and reported that it was now set to 3720 seconds...62 minutes. At that point, if I tried a wdidle3 /R, it would hang. So, I turned the drive off, rebooted, and turned the drive back on. When I now did a wdidle3 /R it now shows 3720 seconds instead of the 8.0 seconds it showed before, so it DID work.

Bottom line...if you get these hangs at every command, try what I had to do. I see several posts saying that WDIDLE3 did not work for them. Perhaps the issue is that the system will only take 1 command per boot! I do not know why, but this was the only thing that worked for me.
Glad you managed to get it to work eventually.

As I recall, wdidle3 /D seems to work only with the latest version of wdidle3. I think it is 1.05.

I believe a member here (rocko?) updated a bootable ISO image with the latest version of wdidle3.

In my case, I was not able to make wdidle3 work at all with a laptop with an esata dock. I had to connect a WD20EARS to a desktop with a sata on a MoBo. YMMV.
XL 658
S2 540