TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #6031
JimboG

Rocko,

As your name suggests, your rock! Thank you very much for posting the bootable ISO with the latest version of wdidle3.exe
JimboG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #6032
richsadams

$49.99 1TB Fantom eSATA Drive

For anyone with a Series3 that would like to add some plug and play recording space, the Fantom 1TB external hard drive is currently available from onsale.com for $49.99 AR...

http://bit.ly/bI5N5j

Rebate offer expires June 30th. This eSATA drive is being used successfully by a number of TCF members. Of course it could be used with PC's, Macs, etc. as well...also has a USB connection.

Note that this drive will ONLY work via P&P with the original TiVo Series3 model (not TiVo HD, HDXL, Premiere). And before you ask, removing the drive from the sealed enclosure will void the hard drive's warranty.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #6033
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
My computer technical knowledge is limited, so please excuse the dumb question.

I'm trying InstantCake (TiVo S3) on a drive using an older computer. It's the only hard drive attached. The BIOS recognizes the drive and shows it as "SATA-2".

But, no matter the code I select for the drive during IC (a, b, etc), it continues to say "unable to write to drive". I've tried every code.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Can anyone help?
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #6034
reubanks

Quote:
Can anyone help?
What computer is this? (brand name and model. maybe even the BIOS version...)

Have you tried changing the SATA port to the lowest number? Have you tried changing the port emulation in BIOS? Is there a "legacy" or IDE/PATA emulation setting?

Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #6035
Chew

It's a Dell 8400.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do any of the rest of what you suggested.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #6036
reubanks

The Dell Dimension 8400 has (4) SATA connectors in a 2x2 block near the front edge of the motherboard. They are SATA-0 through SATA-3. Move the (probably blue if you have original DELL cables) SATA cable from the SATA-2 connector to the SATA-0 connector. Try that.

I'll research the BIOS settings. I don't have a Dimension 8400 here, but I DO have an Optiplex that may have a similar BIOS menu layout.

Randy
Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #6037
Chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
The Dell Dimension 8400 has (4) SATA connectors in a 2x2 block near the front edge of the motherboard. They are SATA-0 through SATA-3. Move the (probably blue if you have original DELL cables) SATA cable from the SATA-2 connector to the SATA-0 connector. Try that.

I'll research the BIOS settings. I don't have a Dimension 8400 here, but I DO have an Optiplex that may have a similar BIOS menu layout.

Randy
Ok, I did that and currently have it on SATA-0. When I select 'a' on the InstantCake menu it now says something to the effect of "not enough room" on the drive. (and I hope it's not reading the empty floppy drive or something!) I also tried 'b' and that still said "unable to write to drive".

This is an original TiVo S3 drive.

In case you're wondering: after properly removing an external drive, my TiVo wouldn't boot up at all and I thought I'd reload the image.

Thank you for your help. I'm going crazy without my TiVo!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #6038
reubanks

It's possible there was a bad sector detected and locked out. If this is the case then the drive is "smaller than the original image" and won't work in an S3.

But, drives are cheap. I have seen 1TB drives go for around $50. (4x the size of the original S3 250GB drive) Even if you have to pay $60-90 for the drive you'll have a much higher capacity than you did before.

Where are you located? Is there a Fry's near you? They have some great deals sometimes. (BestBuy may also be a good place to get one, as is NewEgg.com)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Randy

Last edited by reubanks : 06-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #6039
Chew

My first step to fix the problem a few days ago was to try a new 1TB drive. But, that drive got stuck on "Almost there".

With the original drive, I got the "Green Screen of Death".

They're not the same boot-up problem, so I don't know if it's much worse than being a drive problem? Which is why I was experimenting with InstantCake on the original.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #6040
reubanks

What 1TB drive do you have? Did you use I.C. to image it or did you copy the original drive?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #6041
Chew

InstantCake. Hitachi drive
Old 06-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #6042
reubanks

OK, that's good. Hmm, I don't know of any issues with using a Hitachi drive other than the noise...

Anyone else out there seen this?

Randy
Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #6043
yukit

Quote:
My first step to fix the problem a few days ago was to try a new 1TB drive. But, that drive got stuck on "Almost there".

How long did you wait on the "Almost there" screen?
I would give about 10 mins before giving up.

This has happened to me with a 2TB Hitachi drive in my XL. Usually another hard power cycle would bring it up. Once it is working, I don't seem to have any issues including soft reboots.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #6044
Chew

I gave it nearly 30 minutes.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #6045
richklein

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but is this the latest DD to use? http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html Is this still the command to copy the entire drive from one drive to another? dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdb bs=1024k Thanks - Rich
richklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #6046
drcos
HD where available

WD1501FASS appears to not work. Stuck on "powering up" with all LEDs for >10 min.
Trying to replace a Seagate...
Not the same as too big (no reboot, reboot, reboot).
Any ideas?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #6047
MapleLeaf

MFSSuperSize questions/concerns

I have three third-generation Tivo's (one S3 and two THD's) which had their internal drives upgraded to 1Tb Western Digital drives several years ago. Unfortunately, at that time, I wasn't aware of the MfsSuperSize option, so I never ran them. More precisely, here are my three Tivo units, the drives they were upgraded with, the current reported amount of HD and SD hours, and the approximate date I performed the hard drive upgrade:

THD #1 - WD10EACS, 142 HD hours and 1241 SD hours, Nov/07
S3 - WD10EVCS, 143 HD hours and 1244 SD hours, July/08
THD #2 - WD10EVCS, 142 HD hours and 1241 SD hours, Dec/08

From reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, it seems like if I just run MFSSuperSize on my drives now, I will magically just get about 15Gb more recording space on each drive. However, before trying this out, I've got a couple of minor concerns that I'm hoping someone can address.

1) It seems MFSSuperSize performs its magic by truncating reserved space. I know the FAQ and some other posts in this thread say that it should be fine to run MFSSuperSize any time, but does that really apply when it's been running for two years after upgrading? I can understand where doing it a day or two later won't matter because the reserved space likely never filled up, but since it's been running with its current reserved space for over 2 years, it may have completely filled up. As such, is it really safe to simply truncate the size of that reserved space by 15Gb? What happens to files that may currently be residing in that space? If it only affects the Tivo ads that were recorded/downloaded there, then I could care less. But is there any chance it could potentially lead to systemic instability or some other cascading set of failures, such as widespread corruption of other files and/or directories on the disk?

2) I don't recall the version(s) of WinMFS I used to upgrade my various Tivo's. Is there any risk with simply using the latest version of WinMFS to perform MFSSuperSize on drives that were previously expanded using earlier versions of WinMFS?

Apologies if these questions have already been answered. I tried to find relevant posts in this thread regarding MFSSuperSize, but it's such a large thread that I may have missed the particular posts (if any) that address these issues.
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #6048
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
WD1501FASS appears to not work. Stuck on "powering up" with all LEDs for >10 min.
Trying to replace a Seagate...
Not the same as too big (no reboot, reboot, reboot).
Any ideas?
If your TiVo is stuck on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive. Is the drive plugged in properly? Do you hear it spin up when you plug TiVo in?

Besides being overkill for a TiVo (no need for 7200RPM or 64MB cache) I don't know if anyone has tried to install one of those or if it's incompatible for some reason. If it does end up working it will also run fairly hot and be pretty noisy. Was there a particular reason you chose this drive?

What model TiVo do you have and how did you go about upgrading?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #6049
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
I have three third-generation Tivo's (one S3 and two THD's) which had their internal drives upgraded to 1Tb Western Digital drives several years ago.
MFS Supersize frees up extra space reserved for storing tivoclips; the advertising videos that are downloaded. You can indeed Supersize at any time w/o having an impact on your current settings or recordings.

I cannot answer your question #2 but I don't see any reason that it should affect anything as MFS Supersize has done the same thing throughout all of the winMFS upgrade versions.

You would end up with 157 HD and 1367 SD hours or recording space. If you feel it's worth doing but might be risky you could PM the author of winMFS, Spike, on his website, http://mfslive.org/forums/ and see what he has to say.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #6050
MapleLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
MFS Supersize frees up extra space reserved for storing tivoclips; the advertising videos that are downloaded. You can indeed Supersize at any time w/o having an impact on your current settings or recordings.
Sure, but as I mentioned, my concern was that the reserved space was already fully in use (which I would think might be possible, since I've been running with it at its current size for 2 years). So by shrinking the reserved space by 15Gb, if that space is currently fully occuped by tivoclips and other Tivo ads, then you've essentially got to delete 15Gb worth of files occupying the reserved space. Does MFSSuperSize delete those files gracefully, or does it somehow just "chop off" 15Gb, regardless of whether or not that might entail straddling the boundary of an existing file? If the latter, then is there risk of corrupting more than just the truncated file? If it's just one tivoclip that's corrupt, I could care less. But if the corruption leads to systemic instability or somehow corrupts other files and/or directories, well, that would be an entirely different and far more troubling story...
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #6051
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Sure, but as I mentioned, my concern was that the reserved space was already fully in use (which I would think might be possible, since I've been running with it at its current size for 2 years). <snip>
I think you might be over thinking this but I get what you mean. There have been plenty of people that have Supersized post upgrade, but I don't know if their drives were completely full or not. The time you've had them wouldn't matter, it would be a matter of space, swap files, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to do it but again, if you're worried, get in touch with Spike and see what he recommends.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #6052
drcos
HD where available

I wanted to replace a Seagate ST31500341AS that I suspect is causing video glitches and is kinda noisy.
What 1.5TB would work better as a replacement in a Series 3 for being a little quieter and more reliable?

The WD will probably end up in my video 'server' project.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #6053
richsadams

Quote:
I wanted to replace a Seagate ST31500341AS that I suspect is causing video glitches and is kinda noisy.
What 1.5TB would work better as a replacement in a Series 3 for being a little quieter and more reliable?
Any of the recommended drives listed on the first post of the FAQ should do just fine. Also, understand that you will end up using less than the full 1.5TB of space. More about that in Section V, #17 of the FAQ. FWIW I would stay away from Seagate's 1.5TB drives since they have a very poor track record.

Happy upgrading!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #6054
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Just wanted to add the anecdote of another issue with a Samsung F1 - I upgraded to a 500GB a couple of years ago shortly after I bought my first Tivo HD. It recently showed signs of failing (pixelation on recordings, shortened recordings, the occasional problem with live channel changes). Kickstarted into 54 and Tivo SMART check failed on extended scan. Put it into my Win PC and HDScan SMART check said it had excessive uncorrectable sector errors.

Bought a Hitachi HD31000 1TB from amazon and used winmfs w/supersize to copy the Sammy over and get a nice 157 HD hours of goodness that will hopefully last more than a couple of years. Had no problem setting AAM to 128 w/HDScan, drive was manufactured in Jan 2010.

Will probably Spinrite the Sammy and reuse it until it dies on some machine I don't care about (and have backups for). The drive doesn't make noise and performs fine other than the bad sector count, but it's just a matter of time.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #6055
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Just wanted to add the anecdote of another issue with a Samsung F1 - I upgraded to a 500GB a couple of years ago shortly after I bought my first Tivo HD. It recently showed signs of failing (pixelation on recordings, shortened recordings, the occasional problem with live channel changes). Kickstarted into 54 and Tivo SMART check failed on extended scan. Put it into my Win PC and HDScan SMART check said it had excessive uncorrectable sector errors.

I use 4 of these HD103UJ drives in a NAS with raid5. The NAS has been pretty much continuously powered on for the last 2 years (Power On hour 16343, Power Cycle Count 5)
One astonishing stats is the Hardware ECC Recovered: 18977608. NAS is working great though.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #6056
Chew

Quote:
My computer technical knowledge is limited, so please excuse the dumb question.

I'm trying InstantCake (TiVo S3) on a drive using an older computer. It's the only hard drive attached. The BIOS recognizes the drive and shows it as "SATA-2".

But, no matter the code I select for the drive during IC (a, b, etc), it continues to say "unable to write to drive". I've tried every code.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I gave up on trying to fix it and called TiVo yesterday for an out-of-warranty exchange.

It's still $149.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #6057
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Any of the recommended drives listed on the first post of the FAQ should do just fine. Also, understand that you will end up using less than the full 1.5TB of space. More about that in Section V, #17 of the FAQ. FWIW I would stay away from Seagate's 1.5TB drives since they have a very poor track record.
Thanks, Rich, but there are no 1.5TB drives listed in the FAQ. I'll try a WD EARS here in a couple of days and see how that works. I know about the limit, but as I said, I want to replace a 1.5TB drive already in the S3.

I'll post a follow-up once I try the new drive early next week.

(Edit: You know Rich, if I would've scrolled down two lines in the FAQ I would have seen them. Thanks. Again, if the EARS works, I will post and we can add it to the list for everyone else.)

Last edited by drcos : 06-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.
drcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #6058
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks, Rich, but there are no 1.5TB drives listed in the FAQ. I'll try a WD EARS here in a couple of days and see how that works. I know about the limit, but as I said, I want to replace a 1.5TB drive already in the S3.

I'll post a follow-up once I try the new drive early next week.
Okay, you have me worried...not only did you miss it in my post, but you didn't see it in the FAQ either. As mentioned in my post, the 1.5TB drives are listed in Section V, #17 of the FAQ. Be SURE you read ALL of the upgrade instructions as well. Missing even one step will guarantee failure. Luckily you can start over again, but avoiding the disappointment of having your "new" TiVo not fire up the first time is a nice thing. The WD EARS series should work just fine.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #6059
hmm52

Quote:
If your TiVo is stuck on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive. Is the drive plugged in properly? Do you hear it spin up when you plug TiVo in? ...............
How broad is your definition of "communicate", Rich? If sitting together in stony silence is also a form of communication, I'll agree with you. The WD10EVDS did exactly that when I installed it several weeks ago. With images of both 9.2a and 11.0g software, it wouldn't advance past "Welcome! powering up..." Applying wdidle3.exe resolved this immediately. It's quick and easy for those who haven't used it.

BTW I pulled the plug on my one week + experiment with warranty exchange "certified repaired" Seagate 750GB as external drive. It was a strange one. The drive checked out fine with all diagnostics. I accumulated about 500GB of HD recordings with it in place. No glitches. Then in quick succession I encountered every error I've seen in 2.5 years with the S3 except for pixelation. From one night to the next morning, the errors were:
With full intact recordings, access to them denied with message "No Signal. Recordings not made" (paraphrasing). As in the past, rebooting restored access to all recordings. Irritating, not fatal.
Spontaneous reboot with extended GSOD
Reboot when HDMI connected TV was powered up
Reboot when component connected TV was powered up
Random screen freeze and reboot

Pretty impressive collection of errors in just an 8 hour period, don't you think? So I followed the advice of the most experienced on this thread and simplified things with just the WD10EVDS internal. No glitches since ending the experiment early this week. I did finally upgrade the Sony DHG HDD250s to enable guide acquisition digitally. Out of use for over 2 years. I had forgotten how s l o w any sort of command input with them is. I hope they're never needed as backups.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #6060
jeffw_00

Hi - I put in a 1TB WD (listed) drive back in December. One night 2 weeks ago we turn on the TV and it's pixelating/distorting so bad it lost 5 min of a 1 hour program. I did system restart and after it completed, it spontaneously rebooted about 20 seconds later. So I powercycled, and all was fine with no recurrence.

last night, we noticed intermittent noticeable, but not severe, pixelating/distorting on a program.

so I'm thinking of pulling the drive and running the WD diagnostics. Any harm? Any suggestions?

thanks!
/j
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote