TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #6001
reubanks

Status of >1.35TB upgrade for TCD648250B?

I'm curious. Has anyone succeeded in putting a large (1.5-2TB) drive in the original Series3 (using the added capacity over 1.35TB) similar to the Mr. B. upgrade for the THD?

I don't have one, but I was just wondering.

Thanks, Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #6002
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
I'm curious. Has anyone succeeded in putting a large (1.5-2TB) drive in the original Series3 (using the added capacity over 1.35TB) similar to the Mr. B. upgrade for the THD?

Thanks, Randy
I have some lifetimed series 3 units, but no need for such an increase in volume. IN fact, I'd get rid of the Series 3 lifetimed units if I could get the right price.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #6003
richsadams

Quote:

Thanks, Randy
Hi Randy. Unfortunately the hacked image to create 2TB drives is from a TiVo HDXL and won't work in a Series3, only TiVo HD's or HDXL's
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #6004
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It also sounds like the 2TB drives are louder.
Think its about as loud as a freight train.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #6005
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hi Randy. Unfortunately the hacked image to create 2TB drives is from a TiVo HDXL and won't work in a Series3, only TiVo HD's or HDXL's
Rich,

I understand about the HDXL hack to the HD, but thought someone here might have come up with a equivalent hack for the Series3, possibly using a custom partition layout.

I thought I saw a DVR_DUDE offering on eBay a while back... (I could be wrong.)

Randy
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #6006
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

I understand about the HDXL hack to the HD, but thought someone here might have come up with a equivalent hack for the Series3, possibly using a custom partition layout.

Randy
Oh, got it. I've seen the Series3 2TB drives on ebay but I've never seen any kind of hack we could use show up here...a closely guarded secret I suspect. Frankly I was really surprised to see the one for the THD appear. I sold my THD, but still have my S3. I'd take a whack at the 2TB hack if it were available too.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #6007
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Rich,

Thanks for the tip. I checked. You're not wrong. It's a Hitachi.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TiVo-Series-3-TC...#ht_4098wt_913

Just was I was building my maxed-out S3 to be 2 x 1.5TB.

I might blow the money to get one of these and sell my new 1.5TB drive.

Can you still add an (1.5TB?) external when you have a 2TB internal?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 06-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #6008
JimboG

My Experience with a March 3 2010 WD1500EARS

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Huge thanks to richsadams and bkdtv for their help on this invaluable thread. Here is my recent (ultimately successful) experience upgrading my Series 3 to 1.35 TB usable.

I bought a WD1500EARS dated March 3, 2010 from a local Fry's electronics for $110 plus tax last week. I could have gotten the same drive online for about $90-95, but I wanted to be able to return it easily if things didn't work out. Tried to copy my original hard drive to the new 1.5 TB, but I couldn't get past the Welcome! Powering Up screen. Looks like I'll need wdidle3.exe .

Well, there are several versions of wdidle3.exe floating around out there. All of them require a true boot into DOS. Windows 7 64-bit does not like DOS. Much trouble and hilarity ensues trying to create a DOS boot drive on a USB flash drive, trying to burn a DOS boot CD, updating the BIOS for my HP, changing the BIOS boot order and priority, reflashing the BIOS, frying the BIOS, and ultimately dealing with HP tech support in India and sending my main computer back to repair or replace the motherboard.

If you want to save a lot of trouble and frustration, don't re-write your BIOS with the same image more than once. I ended up using fdoem to create a free DOS boot disk and add wdidle.exe into the .ISO. Took longer than it should, but I finally ran wdidle.exe /D and turned off the Intellipark "feature" on my 1.5 TB Western Digital caviar green drive. Once I had the right DOS boot disk, changing the drive park time literally took about 15 seconds.

Now I booted up my new hard drive and found that I had 213 hours of HD and over 1800 hours of SD. Better still, all of the recordings that I copied from my original S3 hard drive were still on the new 1.5 TB drive.

Prices have come way down, storage capacity has gone up. It really isn't too hard to upgrade your Tivo's internal hard drive if you read all of the instructions before starting and then follow them to the letter. Just don't be stupid like me and fry your computer's BIOS in the meantime.
JimboG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #6009
billbillw

Quote:
Rich,

I was unable to adjust AAM on either of my (2) Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2TB drives using Hitachi Feature Tool v2.11, HDDScan, or Hitachi Feature Tool 2.15. The drives have an APR-2010 date on the label.

Randy
Just curious, did you have the drives installed as emulated IDE when you attempted to adjust the AAM settings? From what I've read, AAM cannot be altered when the drive is connected in SATA/AHCI/RAID modes. Not sure if this is with all drives, or just the Hitachis, but it may be worth the effort to go back and try this again in IDE mode, if your system will allow that.

EDIT: I looked into it more, and I guess the issue with adjusting AAM is when you have ACHI enabled which may or may not be automatic when using a RAID controller. Bottom line, I'd go back and look at your MB configuration.

Last edited by billbillw : 06-17-2010 at 01:11 PM.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #6010
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Just curious, did you have the drives installed as emulated IDE when you attempted to adjust the AAM settings? From what I've read, AAM cannot be altered when the drive is connected in SATA/AHCI/RAID modes. Not sure if this is with all drives, or just the Hitachis, but it may be worth the effort to go back and try this again in IDE mode, if your system will allow that.

EDIT: I looked into it more, and I guess the issue with adjusting AAM is when you have ACHI enabled which may or may not be automatic when using a RAID controller. Bottom line, I'd go back and look at your MB configuration.
I just checked everything in BIOS and it looks good. I tried HFT 2.11 again and it said that AAM adjustment is not supported.

I swapped the 2TB out with a different Hitachi drive (80GB) and I can adjust that one, same with a WD 160GB and a Maxtor 160GB.

Randy

Last edited by reubanks : 06-17-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #6011
billbillw

Quote:
I just checked everything in BIOS and it looks good. I tried HFT 2.11 again and it said that AAM adjustment is not supported.

I swapped the 2TB out with a different Hitachi drive (80GB) and I can adjust that one, same with a WD 160GB and a Maxtor 160GB.

Randy
That's a bummer. I received a new HD31000 and was able to turn on AAM and set it to 128 using HDDScan. It was made in Feb 2010. Just baked my Cake and I'm about to install and (cross fingers) run the initial setup.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #6012
billbillw

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
That's a bummer. I received a new HD31000 and was able to turn on AAM and set it to 128 using HDDScan. It was made in Feb 2010. Just baked my Cake and I'm about to install and (cross fingers) run the initial setup.
Success! The new Hitachi drive fixed my ailing Series 3. In addition, I now have 144 hours of HD recording ability! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I find the Hitachi's sound level to be totally acceptable (at least with AAM set to 128).
Old 06-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #6013
wolverine9827

Big Grin Greets to all

LOOOONG time lurker (from WAY back when I upgraded my S2 using the trusty rusty Hinsdale doc - those were the days! )

I have since retired the S2 (ok, it died gracefully) and moved up to a S3 HD during a promo deal that Tivo was running a few years back.... LOVE this box.
And now I'm looking to do the dirty again with this bad boy.

I'm looking to put a 1.5TB drive in to use the max possible internally... and I WAS leaning towards the Hitachi since I only have a laptop to use for the mfstools so I wouldn't be able to run wdidle for the WD's. With all the latest info all the great pioneers here have shared.... I'm not so sure of which way to go anymore.... With Hitachi engineers obviously smoking some form of controlled substance and deciding to disable AAM in the newest drives AND it seems the latest WD's combined with 11.0g makes the intellipark a moot point - I'm not only stuck not knowing which way to lean but don't even know what fence to lean on! Seagates have never cut it, Sammy's seem to give everyone here heartburn.... and that's about it for the main HD choices. WD, Hitachi, Seagate, and Samsung. Fujitsu seems to have given up on the HD market and Toshiba only seems to sell external drives in the 1TB+ size range (and they probably put WD's or Seagates inside!)

For 1.5TB, newegg really ties to promote Seagate and Samsung... and Hitachi's 1.5TB isn't even listed.... weird....

Guess I'll hang on for a little and wait for more info on the latest WD upgrade results. From what I have gathered so far it looks like the latest 15EVDS is the way to go as long as it was born after May '10....

Keep on keepin' on.... been here forever and this is only my 5th post! LOL
wolverine9827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #6014
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Red face

In part 29 of the FAQ there is a link to download a bootable CD image to fix the WD green drives for use as external drives. Just thought I'd tip anyone who might think about downloading it that a particularly nasty browser hijack malware comes with this download and to be very cautious. If anyone has the image and can provide a safe link to download it, I think the FAQ should be changed to point to a safe link. The existing link is not safe to use.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #6015
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
In part 29 of the FAQ there is a link to download a bootable CD image to fix the WD green drives for use as external drives. Just thought I'd tip anyone who might think about downloading it that a particularly nasty browser hijack malware comes with this download and to be very cautious. If anyone has the image and can provide a safe link to download it, I think the FAQ should be changed to point to a safe link. The existing link is not safe to use.
ANy details on this? What OS it works against or doesn't, for instance?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #6016
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

It happened to me downloading with Firefox 3 on XP but it totally affected IE 8 as well. You go to download the file at the link and your system freezes up for a bit then the file downloads. Apparently the site re-writes your security settings and hijacks your browser settings. You get a window you can't close that keeps popping back up and you can't search at google without getting redirected. You can't got to windows update either. The hijack seems to have made a lot of effort to prevent you from removing it.

I'm on an old portable now using Ubuntu now trying to get software and figuring out how to get rid of it. Regular malware and ant-virus scans are ineffective so far. Don't go there with any system using any browser. My system is useless and I still don't know exactly what to do.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #6017
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
It happened to me downloading with Firefox 3 on XP but it totally affected IE 8 as well. You go to download the file at the link and your system freezes up for a bit then the file downloads. Apparently the site re-writes your security settings and hijacks your browser settings. You get a window you can't close that keeps popping back up and you can't search at google without getting redirected. You can't got to windows update either. The hijack seems to have made a lot of effort to prevent you from removing it.

I'm on an old portable now using Ubuntu now trying to get software and figuring out how to get rid of it. Regular malware and ant-virus scans are ineffective so far. Don't go there with any system using any browser. My system is useless and I still don't know exactly what to do.
If I went there (I forget where I got my wd3idle), it was with my Mac. Don't recall anything odd...
Old 06-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #6018
richsadams

Please Notify the OP ASAP

Quote:
I know a number of folks here have been using that file for several months w/o any problems. Is there any chance the Malware or virus came from somewhere else...a coincidence?

If not, can you please PM bkdtv and let him know what happened? If something's wrong he needs to take the link down immediately. TIA!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=newpm&u=39640
Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #6019
hmm52

FWIW I had no problem with the link last week.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #6020
reubanks

I just checked this and it seems SendSpace is hosting a bunch of REALLY annoying popunder/popup adverts. One or more of these may be infected.

I didn't get any viruses or even get an alert. (The machine is pretty locked down for that sort of thing), but I killed the job pretty quick.

Randy
Old 06-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #6021
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I just checked this and it seems SendSpace is hosting a bunch of REALLY annoying popunder/popup adverts. One or more of these may be infected.

I didn't get any viruses or even get an alert. (The machine is pretty locked down for that sort of thing), but I killed the job pretty quick.

Randy
I believe I created that ISO for bkdtv and I can tell you there's nothing fishy with that image. If sendspace does something that's a different story but I can tell you the iso is fine.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #6022
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I have spent yesterday and today fixing my system. I'm of the opinion is was from one of the ads on the site. I thought I was locked up pretty tight too, but it nailed me big time. I could not get rid of it with the usual stuff. The Kapersky online check is down, the Trend Micro online check didn't fix it and Ad Aware didn't fix it either. I went through step by step guides from others who had similar problems where fixes were posted. Nothing worked. I had to restore my system from an image backup I made a month ago after completely wiping my hard drive with Darik's boot and nuke.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to disseminate this through an ad.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #6023
reubanks

Quote:
I have spent yesterday and today fixing my system. I'm of the opinion is was from one of the ads on the site. I thought I was locked up pretty tight too, but it nailed me big time. I could not get rid of it with the usual stuff. The Kapersky online check is down, the Trend Micro online check didn't fix it and Ad Aware didn't fix it either. I went through step by step guides from others who had similar problems where fixes were posted. Nothing worked. I had to restore my system from an image backup I made a month ago after completely wiping my hard drive with Darik's boot and nuke.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to disseminate this through an ad.
Install Avast AND Malwarebytes AntiMalware. (both available from www.download.com)

Update both of them, disable System Restore and the swap file, and run a boot scan using Avast. After that, reboot to Safe Mode and run Malwarebytes. Clean what you find.

After the system is clean, put back the swap file and system restore (if you want to...) You might also run the latest and up-to-date Spybot Search and Destroy. (also from download.com)

Randy
Old 06-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #6024
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
I believe I created that ISO for bkdtv and I can tell you there's nothing fishy with that image. If sendspace does something that's a different story but I can tell you the iso is fine.
Yes, the ISO imaged worked fine when I downloaded & burned the image on a CD a few weeks ago. The only minor issue I ran into with the ISO was the versio of wdidle3 was not the version that supported disabling Intellipark with my WD20EARS drive. You could still set the timer to a really large value though.

I ended up downloading a newer version of wdidle3 (version number ends with 5, like x.5 or x.05) to use with a bootable USB stick.

BTW, I finally got my Tivo HD fully working today with the WD20EARS drive. I was originally considering getting a lifetime sub, but ended up just replacing an existing Tivo.
I don't know if the guru-guide trick to repopulate the SP works in this case.
I will wait till tomorrow to re-enter my SP & wish lists.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #6025
Chew

My computer technical knowledge is limited, so please excuse the dumb question.

I'm trying InstantCake (TiVo S3) on a drive using an older computer. It's the only hard drive attached. The BIOS recognizes the drive and shows it as "SATA-2".

But, no matter the code I select for the drive during IC (a, b, etc), it continues to say "unable to write to drive". I've tried every code.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #6026
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
Depending on how many season passes you have you might find it faster to try using the Find TV Shows search at TiVo.com and 1-Click Season Pass. You still have to go in and reorder the Season Passes (and maybe change options), but at least you can type in the names of the shows rather than using the alphabet grid.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #6027
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
Yes, the ISO imaged worked fine when I downloaded & burned the image on a CD a few weeks ago. The only minor issue I ran into with the ISO was the versio of wdidle3 was not the version that supported disabling Intellipark with my WD20EARS drive. You could still set the timer to a really large value though.

I ended up downloading a newer version of wdidle3 (version number ends with 5, like x.5 or x.05) to use with a bootable USB stick.

BTW, I finally got my Tivo HD fully working today with the WD20EARS drive. I was originally considering getting a lifetime sub, but ended up just replacing an existing Tivo.
I don't know if the guru-guide trick to repopulate the SP works in this case.
I created new ISO with the 1.05 version of wdidle3 and uploaded to my website. If bkdtv wants to grab it and replace the existing version he's welcome to do so.

I have uploaded it with a .txt extension. You can right-click the file - fdoem.txt - in your browser and save it as an ISO.

http://www.bungmunch.com/images/

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime

Last edited by rocko : 06-20-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #6028
reubanks

This doesn't seem to work in either IE or Firefox. I'm getting an OOPS error!

Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
I created new ISO with the 1.05 version of wdidle3 and uploaded to my website. If bkdtv wants to grab it and replace the existing version he's welcome to do so.

You can right-click the file - fdoem.iso - in your browser and save it.

http://www.bungmunch.com/images/

Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #6029
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
This doesn't seem to work in either IE or Firefox. I'm getting an OOPS error!

Randy
I renamed it with a .txt extension - try a "Save As" now ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 06-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #6030
reubanks

That worked. Thanks!