Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #571
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Sorry,
To answer your questions. I meant the Tivo expansion drive that's marketed as such. I have S3s. In terms of capacity; can there be too much space?

Actually, I have a 500mb drive in one S3 already, so 500mb would likely be enough, but a TB drive would be nice.

I guess the point is the drives at BB and Tivo store are backordered and wondered if there are other plug and play options.

Thanks.
As brettatk points out, Apricorn's DVR Xpanders are a good P&P solution...whichever size you like. They are fan-cooled, come with a good eSATA cable and a number of folks here have been using them for a while. Their 1TB model uses Western Digital's new "green" drive which others here are using as well.

Since you have a Series3 you can pick from a variety of expansion drives on the recommended list on the first post of this thread (note the ones that are not recommended as well). Included are some very easy DIY options which only entail buying a drive and an enclosure to put it in. A few mounting screws later and ta-dah...a new drive! See #'s 25 - 28. DIY is considerably less expensive in most cases.

Our Seagate DB35 drive/Antec MX-1 enclosure has worked flawlessly with our S3 for about seven months now.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #572
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Keenan – Thanks, I will look at that. The MX-1 housing has clearly proved itself and $200 for an Hitachi 1 TB drive that will work with the TiVo S3 in that enclosure is tempting. Unfortunately, as of about 5 minutes ago the Hitachi DeskStar 1 TB internal drive is $330 on BB’s Web site. I’ll continue to keep an eye out at BB to see if it goes on sale again, though.
Yes, you'll have to keep watch. It's been on sale twice that I can remember. Also, the sale price has been pulled before the normal Sat at midnight cutoff they use normally so you really have to act quickly.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #573
thilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Since you have a S3 and not a HD Tivo, I've heard that with the new update from Tivo the Apricorn Xpander drive is plug and play. You can get a 1TB drive for like $379 I think. Here is the link:

http://www.apricorn.com/product_deta...e=family&id=37
FWIW, the 1TB Apricorn DVR Xpander is about $20 or so cheaper at Newegg.
thilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #574
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilt View Post
FWIW, the 1TB Apricorn DVR Xpander is about $20 or so cheaper at Newegg.
Good info. Thanks for that.

Apricorn had a $50 rebate on it last week...but that's evaporated.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 PM   #575
leeherman

eSATA not working properly for me

Well, I finally gave up on expanding my new S3 with an eSATA drive.

I posted earlier in this thread about "stuttering" and pixelation I began experiencing as soon as I connected a "non supported" drive to my S3. I was using an external case and cable I'd been using successfully with my SA Explorer 8300HD. The only change was using a new 500 gbyte WD drive instead of the 300 gbyte drive used with the 8300HD.

Based on what I've read in this thread, I bought the recommended SIIG cable. No luck. Same problem. I then bought the recommended Antec MX-1 enclosure, placed my new drive in it and connected it with the SIIG cable. No joy. Finally, I tried the old, successful 300 gbyte drive. Again, stuttering and pixelating.

I've already sunk $200 in enclosures, drive, and cable. At this point I give up. I put the 300 gbyte drive from my old SA DVR in my Tivo server PC and will transfer programming to the Tivo server if the S3's drive fills up.

Naturally, I'll gladly listen to any suggestions anyone might have, but I don't see myself spending another $200 to get the "supported" drive. I'm not confident it'll work any better.

Is it possible to add a second drive INTERNALLY to an S3 like I did to my S2? Anyone here with any experience in doing that?

Thanks!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #576
lrhorer

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspoto View Post
Ok... that makes sense to me.
So once an external drive is preped, is there anything that keeps an image of a clean "preped" drive from being placed onto a new clean drive that hasn't been preped?
I'm not sure what you are asking. If you want to copy the contents of you internal drive to another drive of the same size, the Linux dd command can do it. If you want to make a compressed backup of the data on your internal drive, or copy it to a larger internal drive, WinMFS or MFSLive can do it. If you merely want to expand your TiVo, and 1.25T is enough for you, then just add a 1TB external drive using mfsadd and be done with it.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #577
lrhorer

Not that difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Spielman View Post
To say the least, I'm puzzled by all of this. Someone here has suggested that I might be better off downloading the MFSLive Boot CD image and launching the program in Linux directly from the disk. If I have to resort to that, I'll need additional cabling and another PCI card to attach the SATA drives to the ancient PC.

I'd appreciate comments/guidance here. This process is definitely not (at least for the moment) as straightforward as described. For the moment, the 750GB drive goes back into the TiVo again.
It's really not hat difficult, but yes, IMO, the MFSLive CD is the way to go. I think first, however, you need to put straight in your mind what you want to do and exactly what steps you will be taking to do it.

Now that in itself is not as simple as it sounds, but on the other hand if done carefully it will likely be the most difficult part of the process.

Decision 1: Backup or don't

Common sense says no matter what you should back up, and it is my recommendation to you. I have never attempted a TiVo upgrade without some level of backup, and it has saved my butt on more than one occasion. If you decide not to backup, things get much simpler, and quicker but if you wind up with a bricked TiVo, don't blame anyone but yourself.

Decision 2: Level of backup

Assuming you are going to backup, you need to decide at what level the backup will occur. At the minimum level, you will need a single drive the same size or larger than your current drive. If you are going to a larger drive, you can copy the entire original drive to the new larger drive and increase the partition to fill the new drive. In this case, the original drive is the "backup", and it will be put onto the shelf for the rest of the operations. It's a fairly secure operation and it gets you a larger internal drive as a starting point for further expansion.

Alternately you can have an extra drive the same size as your internal drive and copy everything over to it before continuing. This is the belt-and-suspenders approach, and it will take some extra time, but for the first time TiVo hacker it's not a bad idea. A compromise solution is to just copy the running partitions, rather than the data from all the partitions. This doesn't guarantee you won't wind up losing all the recorded programs, but at least you won't brick the TiVo and it takes much less time.

Decision 3: Level of expansion

Level 1: Add an external drive without changing the internal drive

If you have a stock TiVo, this can result in up to 1.25TB of storage, with a single 1TB external drive. If you bought an expanded TiVo, it can result in up to 2TB. Some users have successfully expanded their TiVos using an eSATA RAID array. The S3 is limited to 2.2TB. The HD TIvo is not, but I do not know what the largest HD TiVo in existence might be. This method is extremely fast. Excluding backups, it only takes a few moments once the drives are mounted in the PC.

Level 2: Increase the size of the internal drive.

This is much more difficult and time consuming unless you don't care about losing the current recordings. The difference between 1.25TB and 2.0TB with single drive solutions is not much, but if you ever intend to upgrade the internal drive I suggest you go ahead and do it at the outset before any other upgrade.

Level 3: Increase the size of the internal drive and add an external drive

This really is not any more of a significant upgrade than Level 2. It just requires an extra drive.

Decision 4: Hardware

If you don't intend to do a backup (remember, you were warned!!!) and only intend to do a Level 1 upgrade, then the only hardware you need is the external drive and how slow the drive subsystem might be is not an issue.

If you only intend to copy the running partitions, then even a USB to SATA adapter is probably OK, but I don't recommend it.

If you intend to copy or backup anything more than the running partitions, I definitely recommend a native PCI x4 or x16 SATA adapter. Anything else is absurd. It may avoid other issues, as well.

Decision 5: Software

To some extent, this also depends on what decisions were made above. If you have a stock drive in your TiVo and you only want to do a Level 1 upgrade, it really doesn't matter much. Otherwise, I do recommend MFSLive. There are fewer pitfalls, and it's faster. If you don't have a stock drive, then my understanding is at the moment it is the only way to go.

Oh, by the way, I would think you might be able to borrow someone else's PC for a few hours to do the upgrade, rather than trying to make the ancient PC do the job.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #578
lrhorer

Too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeherman View Post
Well, I finally gave up on expanding my new S3 with an eSATA drive.
That's too bad. Many of us have done it with no problems.

Quote:
The only change was using a new 500 gbyte WD drive instead of the 300 gbyte drive used with the 8300HD.
OK, but which drive, specifically? Is it one which other users have successfully used? Some drives are definitely problematic with the TiVo. Note the 8300HD has had its share of problems with certain drives, as well.

Quote:
I bought the recommended SIIG cable. No luck. Same problem. I then bought the recommended Antec MX-1 enclosure, placed my new drive in it and connected it with the SIIG cable. No joy. Finally, I tried the old, successful 300 gbyte drive. Again, stuttering and pixelating.
I've used both a Seagate Barracuda 750G married with a stock TiVo 250G and a pair of Hitachi 1TB drives. Both the 750 and one of the 1TB drives are in Antec MX-1 housings. Other than occasional (fairly rare) autonomous reboots apparently caused by using the stock Antec eSATA cable, the setups run flawlessly.

Quote:
Naturally, I'll gladly listen to any suggestions anyone might have, but I don't see myself spending another $200 to get the "supported" drive. I'm not confident it'll work any better.
Well, it wouldn't be my preferred method of handling the situation, but note since the drive is supported officially by TiVo, if it doesn't work they are compelled to get it working, whatever it takes.

Quote:
Is it possible to add a second drive INTERNALLY to an S3 like I did to my S2? Anyone here with any experience in doing that?
It might be hypothetically possible, but I wouldn't recommend trying. First of all, other than geography there really isn't any significant difference between an internal and external drive. They use the same controller and the same SATA port. Secondly, as I recall there really isn't any space inside the case for a second drive, and there certainly isn't an available bracket.

Before attempting anything of this sort, I would recommend upgrading your internal drive, or preferably getting one of the drives known to work. For the former you could go with one of PTV Upgrade's or Weaknees' pre-configured drives. For the latter, a Hitachi 1TB is my favorite. The Seagate Barracuda also works fine, altyhough it is reported to be noisy (I haven't noticed it). The Seagate DB 35 is supposedly a great choice, if a bit pricey. You already have the external housing.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #579
richsadams

lrhorer, your last posts (like many others) were valuable, thoughtful and communicated well. I know the folks you're helping directly on this thread appreciate what you've written, but there are many others that benefit from the assistance as well. Efforts to help others like yours and many other contributors here are too often taken for granted…generally not on purpose, but it happens.

Just thought a "thank you and well done" was in order.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #580
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's really not hat difficult, but yes, IMO, the MFSLive CD is the way to go. I think first, however, you need to put straight in your mind what you want to do and exactly what steps you will be taking to do it.

Now that in itself is not as simple as it sounds, but on the other hand if done carefully it will likely be the most difficult part of the process.

Decision 1: Backup or don't

Common sense says no matter what you should back up, and it is my recommendation to you. I have never attempted a TiVo upgrade without some level of backup, and it has saved my butt on more than one occasion. If you decide not to backup, things get much simpler, and quicker but if you wind up with a bricked TiVo, don't blame anyone but yourself.

Decision 2: Level of backup

Assuming you are going to backup, you need to decide at what level the backup will occur. At the minimum level, you will need a single drive the same size or larger than your current drive. If you are going to a larger drive, you can copy the entire original drive to the new larger drive and increase the partition to fill the new drive. In this case, the original drive is the "backup", and it will be put onto the shelf for the rest of the operations. It's a fairly secure operation and it gets you a larger internal drive as a starting point for further expansion.

Alternately you can have an extra drive the same size as your internal drive and copy everything over to it before continuing. This is the belt-and-suspenders approach, and it will take some extra time, but for the first time TiVo hacker it's not a bad idea. A compromise solution is to just copy the running partitions, rather than the data from all the partitions. This doesn't guarantee you won't wind up losing all the recorded programs, but at least you won't brick the TiVo and it takes much less time.

Decision 3: Level of expansion

Level 1: Add an external drive without changing the internal drive

If you have a stock TiVo, this can result in up to 1.25TB of storage, with a single 1TB external drive. If you bought an expanded TiVo, it can result in up to 2TB. Some users have successfully expanded their TiVos using an eSATA RAID array. The S3 is limited to 2.2TB. The HD TIvo is not, but I do not know what the largest HD TiVo in existence might be. This method is extremely fast. Excluding backups, it only takes a few moments once the drives are mounted in the PC.

Level 2: Increase the size of the internal drive.

This is much more difficult and time consuming unless you don't care about losing the current recordings. The difference between 1.25TB and 2.0TB with single drive solutions is not much, but if you ever intend to upgrade the internal drive I suggest you go ahead and do it at the outset before any other upgrade.

Level 3: Increase the size of the internal drive and add an external drive

This really is not any more of a significant upgrade than Level 2. It just requires an extra drive.

If you don't intend to do a backup (remember, you were warned!!!) and only intend to do a Level 1 upgrade, then the only hardware you need is the external drive and how slow the drive subsystem might be is not an issue.

If you only intend to copy the running partitions, then even a USB to SATA adapter is probably OK, but I don't recommend it.

If you intend to copy or backup anything more than the running partitions, I definitely recommend a native PCI x4 or x16 SATA adapter. Anything else is absurd. It may avoid other issues, as well.

To some extent, this also depends on what decisions were made above. If you have a stock drive in your TiVo and you only want to do a Level 1 upgrade, it really doesn't matter much. Otherwise, I do recommend MFSLive. There are fewer pitfalls, and it's faster. If you don't have a stock drive, then my understanding is at the moment it is the only way to go.

Oh, by the way, I would think you might be able to borrow someone else's PC for a few hours to do the upgrade, rather than trying to make the ancient PC do the job.
Thanks for spelling this out so lucidly.

Let me relate my experience with your points, one by one:

First of all, I've been in touch with Spike, the author of the MFSLive and WinMFS software. He states that the Boot CD will not work to expand an already expanded drive, leaving WinMFS as the only solution.

Decisions 1 and 2: Backup and Level of backup
I've already posted that I performed a WinMFS backup of the WeaKnees upgraded 750GB internal drive. I was able to do this successfully both on a PIII Windows PC and on an Intel iMac running Windows XP Pro SP2 under Parallels Desktop. The backup files reside on the internal hard drives of the respective computers (in the case of the Mac, on the "C" drive created by Parallels Desktop).

Decision 3: Level of Expansion
I've opted for Level 3, in your parlance. My difficulties began with having initially been misled by the expansion FAQ (since corrected), which omitted the crucial mfscopy step after the backup. Stating that the mfscopy is "much more difficult and time consuming" is only partly correct. It isn't difficult at all (albeit with some pitfalls along the way), but, thus far, it has definitely been time consuming.

I've so far attempted the mfscopy on both the PIII PC and on the Mac running Windows. In each case, I've been using the USB-to-SATA adapters specified in the FAQ. And, the transfer has been dreadfully slow, mention of which has only recently been added to the FAQ. I aborted the copies because I needed to replace the original drive in the TiVo to record upcoming programming.

WinMFS repeatedly freezes on-screen during the copy, thus providing no indication of the progress of the copy. When I asked Spike about this, he suggested a relatively easy solution: Use the Windows Task Manager to monitor the hard disk reads and writes. As a non-Windows user, I needed to do a little Internet research to figure out specifically how to do this, but it was actually very simple: Invoke Task Manager with Control-Alt-Delete, click on the Processes tab, then click on View to edit the columns displayed in Task Manager. (New to me as a Mac user, as I don't ordinarily fool around with the fuel injection system in my BMW either.)

Windows Task Manager reported that, after about 14 hours of copying using the Mac's USB 2.0 ports, only 11% of the transfer had occurred. As I mentioned, I aborted the copy and returned the 750GB drive to the TiVo while I await additional hardware.

My experience jibes with your comments. Using USB-to-SATA adapters (as specified in the FAQ) provides acceptable performance for the backup, even with the old PIII PC, and somewhat better in the Mac scenario.

However, these adapters are inadequate for the mfscopy, at least on the hardware I have access to, again a fact not mentioned in the FAQ. Undoubtedly, the transfer would be faster on a PC (or a Mac) with more horsepower. I agree that, even on the latest PC (or Mac; mine is the first of the Intel iMacs, with an Intel Core Duo—not Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme), they might still not provide satisfactory speed.

You recommendation of a PCI SATA controller for the PC is the method I've ultimately decided to adopt on the basis of my experiences so far, even though I already ordered a USB 2.0 controller for the PC. Fortunately, these controllers and cables are available online at very low cost, well below $20.

As I mentioned, Spike says that, for an already expanded internal drive, only WinMFS will work.

And, finally, your comment about borrowing someone else's PC is exactly the route I'm expecting I'll have to pursue. Once it arrives, I'll give the PCI SATA controller a spin in the old PIII PC, though I don't have high hopes for a great speed improvement.

As we agree, a combination of SATA connections and more processing horsepower is the probable solution to my problems.

I do think that bkdtv would do well to spell out some of this stuff in the otherwise excellent FAQ. I'd avoid mentioning USB-to-SATA adapters altogether, for example, and I'd add the Windows Task Manager copy monitoring information.

Thanks again for your post, as it allowed me to elucidate my experiences.

TiVo Series 3 (1TB internal; 1TB external)
SAT-T60 DirecTiVo (retired except to view archived recordings)

Last edited by Burt Spielman : 12-09-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Burt Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #581
stretch35

any diff laying the official dvr on it's side for better cooling..definely seems to vibrate more than the 1terabyte my book wd that costco has (it was useless for expansion)..also no light on led panel..normal..included cable has same length as siig esata. and is labeled sata II fyi
stretch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #582
ashu
User title defunct

Whoa!
Am I glad I didn't give in to the UMF to grab a 1TB My Book Western Digital at Costco this evening!

Confirmed not to work because of a Bridge SATA chipset, eh? Shame! I figured $279.99 was a nice price for a 1TB expansion solution!

Well, the Green 1TB drive is $249.99 ($20 off with an emailed code), shipped free from Newegg.com again, and I plan to order a known-working enclosure with it (excellent FAQ & follow-up discussion folks!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #583
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
I do think that bkdtv would do well to spell out some of this stuff in the otherwise excellent FAQ. I'd avoid mentioning USB-to-SATA adapters altogether, for example...
Your bad experience notwithstanding, others have successfully used the adapters and it is pretty much the only way if one is limited to a laptop PC computer.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #584
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch35 View Post
any diff laying the official dvr on it's side for better cooling..definely seems to vibrate more than the 1terabyte my book wd that costco has (it was useless for expansion)..also no light on led panel..normal..included cable has same length as siig esata. and is labeled sata II fyi
When you say "laying the official dvr on its side for better cooling" I'm assuming you mean the expansion drive (eSATA HDD) and not TiVo (the DVR) itself.

There shouldn't be any performance issues based on how the enclosure is positioned. Generally speaking the more air flow around the unit, the cooler it will run. With regard to vibration/noise you might want to look into insulating it by placing it on a pad of some sort. I've found a thick mouse pad works well.

Of course you should avoid laying the unit on another component (TiVo, amp, etc.). It's best to have the drive clear of any other electronic device, on its own shelf with plenty of ventilation around it if possible.

Last edited by richsadams : 12-10-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #585
gspoto

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are asking. If you want to copy the contents of you internal drive to another drive of the same size, the Linux dd command can do it. If you want to make a compressed backup of the data on your internal drive, or copy it to a larger internal drive, WinMFS or MFSLive can do it. If you merely want to expand your TiVo, and 1.25T is enough for you, then just add a 1TB external drive using mfsadd and be done with it.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to your reply to my post.
Summary: I want to add either 500 GB of storage (or potentially 1TB) and not have to pay a premium price or wait in order to do so.
But I am fearful of tinkering with the insides of my TiVo HD. I am comfortable doing just about anything else.
My thoughts, (perhaps outdated and DOS/Windows based not LINUX), is that hacking a drive to work with the TiVo HD shouldn't be that hard. The understanding I have (based of the generous replies to my first posts) is that for TiVo HD units there is a set group of drives that the TiVo HD will recognize as "approved" for use as an external drive. And then one a drive is determined to be approved, the TiVo will do the prep work needed to make the drive useable.
So my thought on "imaging" a drive is that if a 500GB or 1TB drive were to be already "prepped" but contain no other data(well call this drive 'A'), that it should be a simple matter to take an image of that drive onto a new clean drive(we'll call it drive "B"), and now drive B is essentially ready to go in place of Drive A. In this way no one needs to crack open a TiVo, they can just download a drive image onto a clean drive and your new external storage is ready to go.

I'm hoping I am conveying my idea properly. I suspect that this isn't possible since smarter people then me are working these things. But I am still curious as to why this wouldn't work.

Thanks for the time and I appreciate your feedback.
Spoto
gspoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #586
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Your bad experience notwithstanding, others have successfully used the adapters and it is pretty much the only way if one is limited to a laptop PC computer.
OK, that makes sense. Maybe the FAQ ought to cite some data on expected copy times using different equipment, based on others' reported experiences.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 PM   #587
PSXBatou

I just installed the My DVR on to my TivoHD, its great having more space

I bought mine from Best Buy for $219, a bit steep but considering its the only thing that works I really didn't have a whole lot of choices.

Is the ring of light supposed to be static? On the few My Books that I have the ring spins when activity is happening.
PSXBatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #588
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXBatou View Post
Is the ring of light supposed to be static? On the few My Books that I have the ring spins when activity is happening.
IIRC the only time the indicator light is operable on WD My Book type products like the DVR Expander is with UBS connections.

Enjoy the new space!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #589
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...So my thought on "imaging" a drive is that if a 500GB or 1TB drive were to be already "prepped" but contain no other data(well call this drive 'A'), that it should be a simple matter to take an image of that drive onto a new clean drive(we'll call it drive "B"), and now drive B is essentially ready to go in place of Drive A. In this way no one needs to crack open a TiVo, they can just download a drive image onto a clean drive and your new external storage is ready to go.
It seems like you are thinking too hard about all this. The marrying or "prepping" of an external drive is such a simple operation (even when one needs to use an external program (WinMFS/MFSLive) in the case of unsupported drive/enclosure combinations that it is not clear what your proposed method buys you.

Anyway, each marriage is unique so you can't have a generic married drive that is then copied to other external drives for other systems as you could with a pre-configured internal upgrade drive. At least that is what it sounds like you are proposing. In your case, you have to accept the official TiVo supported external solution or be willing to open the TiVo box.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #590
richsadams

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to your reply to my post.
Summary: I want to add either 500 GB of storage (or potentially 1TB) and not have to pay a premium price or wait in order to do so.
But I am fearful of tinkering with the insides of my TiVo HD. I am comfortable doing just about anything else.
My thoughts, (perhaps outdated and DOS/Windows based not LINUX), is that hacking a drive to work with the TiVo HD shouldn't be that hard. The understanding I have (based of the generous replies to my first posts) is that for TiVo HD units there is a set group of drives that the TiVo HD will recognize as "approved" for use as an external drive. And then one a drive is determined to be approved, the TiVo will do the prep work needed to make the drive useable.
So my thought on "imaging" a drive is that if a 500GB or 1TB drive were to be already "prepped" but contain no other data(well call this drive 'A'), that it should be a simple matter to take an image of that drive onto a new clean drive(we'll call it drive "B"), and now drive B is essentially ready to go in place of Drive A. In this way no one needs to crack open a TiVo, they can just download a drive image onto a clean drive and your new external storage is ready to go.

I'm hoping I am conveying my idea properly. I suspect that this isn't possible since smarter people then me are working these things. But I am still curious as to why this wouldn't work.

Thanks for the time and I appreciate your feedback.
Spoto
Welcome back! In addition to what jlib has offered I'll throw my two cents in to address your post. If I’m reading it correctly, what you’re suggesting is a nice thought, but unfortunately not something that will work.

It appears that you're confused as to how TiVo recognizes an expansion drive. The approved expansion drive is recognized by TiVo via the drive model number. Stock TiVo HD's are restricted by design to use only the approved expansion drive (sold exclusively by TiVo and Best Buy). So there is nothing to "prep" as there isn't an "image".

Every time an external drive is added to a TiVo HD or Series3 the drive is formatted by TiVo; any content is removed.

If you're comfortable "doing just about anything else" you shouldn't be fearful of tinkering with your TiVo. It's as basic a computer as there is. As jlib mentioned, opening it up and upgrading the hard drive is quite simple if you're comfortable connecting the OEM drive and a new drive to your P.C. and running a single program with a few steps and putting the new drive back in. That is the fastest and easiest way to upgrade to as much as 1TB of space. With a few more steps you can have 2+TB of hard drive space by upgrading the internal hard drive and adding an expansion drive.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #591
titsataki

My "official TIVO" DVR expander came yesterday. I installed it with no issues. I now have 89 HD hrs. I will probably look for a decent price for the WD Green drive to do the internal within the next month or two.

Cheers

Nick

Last edited by titsataki : 12-11-2007 at 01:30 PM.
titsataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #592
dirkhh

Brute force to get Seagate FreeAgent to work

I bought a Seagate FreeAgent 750GB at Costco the other day and had a terrible time to get it to work with my TiVoHD. I used MFSlive to link the internal and external drive without a problem, but the TiVo simply wouldn't recognize it. Went through different cables, tried all the suggestions here.

At the end it turns out that the TiVo can't deal with the stupid power saving feature of the FreeAgent. I physically cracked open the case, put the drive in an el-cheapo enclosure and now it works beautifully.

More details on connecting the Free Agent to the TiVoHD.
dirkhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #593
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkhh View Post
I bought a Seagate FreeAgent 750GB at Costco the other day and had a terrible time to get it to work with my TiVoHD. I used MFSlive to link the internal and external drive without a problem, but the TiVo simply wouldn't recognize it. Went through different cables, tried all the suggestions here.

At the end it turns out that the TiVo can't deal with the stupid power saving feature of the FreeAgent. I physically cracked open the case, put the drive in an el-cheapo enclosure and now it works beautifully.

More details on connecting the Free Agent to the TiVoHD.
The FAP has gotten very mixed results and consequently has never been recommended for TiVo.

But glad you were able to get yours working!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #594
lrhorer

Upgrading Drives

Quote:
First of all, I've been in touch with Spike, the author of the MFSLive and WinMFS software. He states that the Boot CD will not work to expand an already expanded drive, leaving WinMFS as the only solution.
Don't tell that to my 1T internal drive TiVo from Weaknees which was married to a 1T Hitachi in an Antec MX-1 housing back in June using the MFSLive CD, or it may decide to quit working.

I think maybe you have it backwards. That, or esle something else is going on here which I do not understand. Below are copied the first two lines of the boot CD which I used to marry the two on my e-machines T5216 PC:

Release Note:
MFSLive Release v1.2 06-01-2007

Quote:
Decisions 1 and 2: Backup and Level of backup
I've already posted that I performed a WinMFS backup of the WeaKnees upgraded 750GB internal drive.
That's fine. I just wanted to make certain you and others who may read this thread have a firm plan in mind before they start.

Quote:
My experience jibes with your comments. Using USB-to-SATA adapters (as specified in the FAQ) provides acceptable performance for the backup, even with the old PIII PC, and somewhat better in the Mac scenario.

However, these adapters are inadequate for the mfscopy
OK, you are differentiating between a "backup" and "mfscopy". That's fine, but in my post I was not making this distinction. If all you arre backing up is the running partitions, then as you say the USB - SATA adapter is a reasonable solution. If you are backing up the entire hard drive, wether to an alternate recovery media, a new hard drive, or both, the USB solution probably isn't going to cut it unless you only have a very small amount of video on the TiVo.

Quote:
I agree that, even on the latest PC (or Mac; mine is the first of the Intel iMacs, with an Intel Core Duo—not Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme), they might still not provide satisfactory speed.
Satisfactory or not is a highly subjective individual assessment which will vary a great deal depending on how much video is present and how soon the user wants the TiVo operational again. Two days may be both required and acceptable for some users. Two hours may be too long or more than is needed for others.

Quote:
As I mentioned, Spike says that, for an already expanded internal drive, only WinMFS will work.
I think someone needs to double-check this. I'm not because I don't have any TiVos to upgrade at the moment and probably won't in the near future - at least not prior to one or two software development cycles. I assure you I married a 1T Hitachi to a 1T Weaknees TiVo. Given the internal drive is 1T, it has to have been expanded, although I did not do it myself.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #595
jlib
Lean Forward

You simply added a 1TB external drive to your 1TB internal drive. He is adding an external drive and at the same time upgrading his non-stock 750GB internal drive to a 1TB drive. I think the issue is the expanding not the marrying.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #596
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Don't tell that to my 1T internal drive TiVo from Weaknees which was married to a 1T Hitachi in an Antec MX-1 housing back in June using the MFSLive CD, or it may decide to quit working.

I think maybe you have it backwards. That, or esle something else is going on here which I do not understand.
Quote:
I think someone needs to double-check this. I'm not because I don't have any TiVos to upgrade at the moment and probably won't in the near future - at least not prior to one or two software development cycles. I assure you I married a 1T Hitachi to a 1T Weaknees TiVo. Given the internal drive is 1T, it has to have been expanded, although I did not do it myself.
All I'm doing is relating what Spike related to me. Here's a link to the applicable thread on the Mfslive forum.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #597
Burt Spielman

Quote:
You simply added a 1TB external drive to your 1TB internal drive. He is adding an external drive and at the same time upgrading his non-stock 750GB internal drive to a 1TB drive. I think the issue is the expanding not the marrying.
I believe you're right. Except, of course, that I'm not doing anything at the moment. I'm waiting for a PCI SATA controller and SATA cables to arrive and I'm identifying a fast(er) PC I can borrow to do the deed.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 AM   #598
lrhorer

Good point

Quote:
Yeah, you may be right.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #599
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

Much to my dismay, my "My DVR Expander" seems to have unmarried itself from my S3 without any prompting.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate input. I started a new thread here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=378076
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:34 AM   #600
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
Much to my dismay, my "My DVR Expander" seems to have unmarried itself from my S3 without any prompting.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate input. I started a new thread here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=378076
Welcome to the Pioneer's Club because AFAIK that's a first. Sorry you had to be the one to experience it.

Your other error, "this program could not record because there was no signal" indicates that there may be a software/data corruption issue. Unfortunately based on your other post I think you've done everything possible to correct the problem.

Keeping the drive attached you could try TiVo's diagnostic's called "Kickstarts" (try KS57 and KS58) to remedy the situation, however I don't hold out much hope for that, but it can't hurt.

You may end up having to divorce the drive and remarry it. Unfortunately like the warning says, you'll likely lose all of the recordings made since the drive was connected.

If you do that, the best bet would be to disconnect the eSATA drive completely, divorce it (following the screen directions) and boot up TiVo without it to ensure it is running properly (the "no signal" error is a red flag). If everything is okay, re-marry the eSATA drive to see if there are any more problems.