TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #5791
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Depends on the friend's hardware. My Pentium II took 20 hours to do a backup|restore (recently upgraded to a Pentium III....I know, I'm a cheapskate).
Yikes PIII?
There's some interesting budget builds at tom's hardware;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html
Warning tho, building new rigs is as addictive as upgrading tivos.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #5792
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Yikes PIII?
There's some interesting budget builds at tom's hardware;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html
Warning tho, building new rigs is as addictive as upgrading tivos.
...but costs way more...as in an overclocked E8400/P5Q Pro for my wife!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #5793
jppowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hi Joe and welcome to the forum. Which image are you looking for?
Hi Rich

I was trying to obtain the Mr. Broflovski's image for drives greater than 1G. I am supposed to PM him, but can not as I have not posted 5x yet.( but here is 2 I guess )

Joe P
jppowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #5794
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppowers View Post
Hi Rich

I was trying to obtain the Mr. Broflovski's image for drives greater than 1G. I am supposed to PM him, but can not as I have not posted 5x yet.( but here is 2 I guess )

Joe P
Yes, that's one of the rules to thwart spammers...used to be 10 IIRC. Anyway, find a couple of more things to discuss and you should be good to go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #5795
jppowers

Quote:
Yes, that's one of the rules to thwart spammers...used to be 10 IIRC. Anyway, find a couple of more things to discuss and you should be good to go.
OK. Thanks

Joe P
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #5796
jppowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Quick question along these lines. I installed one of these EVDS drives with TiVo software, and allowed it to update before discovering this problem.

I've just run "wdidle3.exe /d" on it and it reported the feature is disabled, so I think I'm good there.

I just want to confirm that there's no need to reinstall the TiVo software. If I boot it up it should work fine now, right?

(More accurately, if I ship it out to my brother without confirming the install in my own series 3, will it work in his unit again only better now that this "feature" is gond?)
Did you buy the drive preloaded w/ software then??

Joe P
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #5797
jppowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Broflovski View Post
I have created an image that is useable with WinMFS and is not subject to these limitations, and will work with hard drives up to 2.0TB in size. Any interested parties with a TivoHD and hard drive > 1TB are welcome to PM me.
Any 2 GB drive suggestions from anyone?

Joe Powers
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #5798
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Any 2 GB drive suggestions from anyone?
They don't make them that small anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #5799
shrike4242

Quote:
Limit 5 per customer though.

Nice find!
The reviews of it on Newegg.com aren't that encouraging:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490

Also, as I see above, I have to boot the drive off of a bootable CD to deal with the idle issue.

Since it looks like my DVR Expander seems to have killed off my internal drive in one of the Tivo HDs I have and now I'm stuck with looking for a plan B solution. I'm trying to find drive options that would work as a 1TB replacement for the internal drive.

Any reason why I should pick the GP-AV right here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136496 (WD10EVDS)

Over this drive here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490 (WD10EARS)

The WD10EVCS is showing as discontinued, so I'm assuming the EVDS replaced it and the FAQ hasn't been updated yet.

Last edited by shrike4242 : 05-10-2010 at 09:50 PM.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #5800
cr33p

Any ideas if anyone is working on a 648250 image that can expand to a >1tb drive?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #5801
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
The reviews of it on Newegg.com aren't that encouraging:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136490
It looks like the reviewers that were disapointed with the drive's performance were using them in a "normal" computer environment. Although variable, these are basically 5400RPM drives which are perfectly fine in TiVo. There are probably hundreds of them being used by TCF members with very positive feedback so I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Quote:
Also, as I see above, I have to boot the drive off of a bootable CD to deal with the idle issue.
True, although IIRC someone created a useable image on a USB thumb drive.

Quote:
Since it looks like my DVR Expander seems to have killed off my internal drive in one of the Tivo HDs I have and now I'm stuck with looking for a plan B solution. I'm trying to find drive options that would work as a 1TB replacement for the internal drive.

Any reason why I should pick the GP-AV right here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136496 (WD10EVDS)
The WD10EVDS is a dedicated A/V drive so there would be no need to adjust the AAM (it's already very quiet). There are a number of folks using them here...it would be just fine.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #5802
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
It's unlikely that a bad expander could somehow cause physical damage to your internal drive. Most likely it just needs to be imaged with working software.

But I think you're much better off going with a larger capacity internal replacement, so it's perhaps a moot point.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #5803
shrike4242

Quote:
The WD10EVDS is a dedicated A/V drive so there would be no need to adjust the AAM (it's already very quiet). There are a number of folks using them here...it would be just fine.
I think I'll run with that option as the drive for the replacement, since I'm wary of the internal drive at the moment, even though it passed the KS 54 overnight SMART tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
It's unlikely that a bad expander could somehow cause physical damage to your internal drive. Most likely it just needs to be imaged with working software.

But I think you're much better off going with a larger capacity internal replacement, so it's perhaps a moot point.
I haven't reconnected the DVR Expander, since I want to test it with Lifeguard Tools before I decide on what to do with it, though I wouldn't expect the entire Now Playing List to disappear when I divorced the DVR Expander from the Tivo.

The odd thing is that it kept trying to install the system update for 11.0g every time I rebooted, and I guess it finally finished the job, since the Tivo HD appears to be working OK at the moment. It started recording last night, so I'm surprised it's in that state at the moment, though I still don't trust the drive, which is why I'm working towards the replacement. I'll still test the drive again with KS 57 or KS 58 to make sure it's valid, and if so, I'll use that to expand out to the new drive. If not, then I'll just get an InstantCake ISO image from DVRUpgrade.com.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #5804
SoFlaGuy

Just got an email from CompUSA that they have the WD20EARS for $109 after rebate, has anyone used this with the Brovfloski image on a Series 3? (TCD648250b)

Last edited by SoFlaGuy : 05-11-2010 at 12:30 PM.
SoFlaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #5805
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaGuy View Post
Just got an email from CompUSA that they have the WD20EARS for $109 after rebate, has anyone used this with the Brovfloski image on a Series 3? (TCD648250b)
That image is only for a 652160, not a 648250, there was never a 1tb version of that model, so I think we wont see a hybrid image like that?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #5806
SoFlaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
That image is only for a 652160, not a 648250, there was never a 1tb version of that model, so I think we wont see a hybrid image like that?
I thought that too, but in post 5477, another poster stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan View Post
Special thanks to Mr. Broflovski for his >1TB TiVo HD image. Last night I used it to upgrade a used THD with a 2TB Hitachi Deskstar (HD32000IDK7/7K / HDS722020ALA330). The box now reports 318/2777 hours
The post clearly states he upgraded a used THD, which can only be a TCD648250B.

Last edited by SoFlaGuy : 05-11-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #5807
cr33p

Quote:

Yeah, and a THD is a tcd652160 unit, not a series 3 tcd648250 unit. You want to try to use it in a older series 3 unit right? If so I dont believe it will work, I have the image myself and have tested it on my TivoHD 652160 unit and it works perfectly
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #5808
SoFlaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Yeah, and a THD is a tcd652160 unit, not a series 3 tcd648250 unit. You want to try to use it in a older series 3 unit right? If so I dont believe it will work, I have the image myself and have tested it on my TivoHD 652160 unit and it works perfectly
Yep, I want to upgrade the THX (TCD648250) and not my HD, which was upgraded to a 1TB already.

I sent a PM to the other poster to clarify which unit he meant.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #5809
cr33p

Well you could always try
Old 05-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #5810
T1V0

Quote:

nope

648 = original S3
652 = tivohd
658 = tivohdxl
T1V0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #5811
cr33p

From my understanding this new image is a mix between a 652 image and a 658 image, the 658 had a 1tb from the factory this is why it can be upgraded to a 2tb, the older s3 only had a 250, so it can only be upgraded to a 1.25 tb, you could still use a 1.5 drive but cant use all the space
Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #5812
jppowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
They don't make them that small anymore.
Oh Oh, that should read 2TB

JP
Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #5813
richsadams

Quote:
...though I wouldn't expect the entire Now Playing List to disappear when I divorced the DVR Expander from the Tivo.
Unfortunately anything recorded after you first connected your eSATA drive is lost once it's been divorced. The reason being that whenever an eSATA drive is connected to TiVo (first time or fifth) it's automatically formatted and all of the existing data is wiped.

Quote:
The odd thing is that it kept trying to install the system update for 11.0g every time I rebooted, and I guess it finally finished the job, since the Tivo HD appears to be working OK at the moment. It started recording last night, so I'm surprised it's in that state at the moment, though I still don't trust the drive, which is why I'm working towards the replacement. I'll still test the drive again with KS 57 or KS 58 to make sure it's valid, and if so, I'll use that to expand out to the new drive. If not, then I'll just get an InstantCake ISO image from DVRUpgrade.com.
That sounds more like an image data corruption problem. It's possible that when v11.0g was downloaded that there was a checksum error. That can be caused by any number of things from their network to your network to bad sectors on your hard drive, it's hard to say. TiVo will continue to download and try to install an update until it's fully and correctly installed. If it's booting up okay now it sounds like it has a stable OS boot partition so you should be safe using it to image a new drive.

KS57 and/or 58 won't actually "tell you" anything. They simply attempt to correct data corruption and if needed isolate bad sectors on the hard drive. Only KS54 is capable of returning some minor go/no go test results and even it isn't infallible.

I'd go with using your existing drive to image a new one and if for some reason that doesn't work out you can always use Instant Cake. The downside is that IC will basically make your TiVo "new" so you'd need to get your cable card paired again and such.

In any case, happy upgrading and let us know how it goes!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #5814
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Did you buy the drive preloaded w/ software then??

Joe P
No, it's a drive I built from my own S3 drive/backup.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #5815
shrike4242

Quote:
Unfortunately anything recorded after you first connected your eSATA drive is lost once it's been divorced. The reason being that whenever an eSATA drive is connected to TiVo (first time or fifth) it's automatically formatted and all of the existing data is wiped.
I always thought that content recorded before the DVR Expander was connected would still remain, though I guess not. Oh well.

Quote:
That sounds more like an image data corruption problem. It's possible that when v11.0g was downloaded that there was a checksum error. That can be caused by any number of things from their network to your network to bad sectors on your hard drive, it's hard to say. TiVo will continue to download and try to install an update until it's fully and correctly installed. If it's booting up okay now it sounds like it has a stable OS boot partition so you should be safe using it to image a new drive.

KS57 and/or 58 won't actually "tell you" anything. They simply attempt to correct data corruption and if needed isolate bad sectors on the hard drive. Only KS54 is capable of returning some minor go/no go test results and even it isn't infallible.

I'd go with using your existing drive to image a new one and if for some reason that doesn't work out you can always use Instant Cake. The downside is that IC will basically make your TiVo "new" so you'd need to get your cable card paired again and such.

In any case, happy upgrading and let us know how it goes!
See, that's what concerns me, that if this was nothing more than a fracked up system update, I'm going to be more than a little irritated with the situation. Especially since I divorced the DVR Expander, thinking it was dead/dying and causing issues with the internal drive as well.

After I ran the KS57 on the drive pairing the first time, it did lose some shows off of the Now Playing List, so I'm thinking that something wasn't right and the KS57 seemed to fix it.

I believe the download did come down OK, since the Tivo didn't seem to do anything about trying to re-download it, though I think that the root partition was screwed up and at some point in the mess when this happened, I did a KS52 to try and force the reinstall to the alternate root partition to try and recover from it.

The update did seem to work, repeatedly, though it kept trying to do the install when it did reboot repeatedly.

I think that if I run another KS57 on the drive, having tested OK with the overnight SMART test from the KS54, I think that you're right and the drive appears to be OK.

I'll stick the DVR expander on my HTPC in the basement, since it has an eSATA port and see what Lifeguard Tools says about the drive. If it reports it as bad, it'll get tossed. If it's good, then I can only wonder about it.

I'm still toying with the drive upgrade idea, mainly to get rid of the DVR Expander, though I'd hate to toss it if it still is working according to WD.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #5816
richsadams

Quote:
I always thought that content recorded before the DVR Expander was connected would still remain, though I guess not. Oh well.
Yes that is correct, anything recorded before the expansion drive was attached will remain intact. That's why I said "...anything recorded after you first connected your eSATA drive is lost..."

Quote:
The update did seem to work, repeatedly, though it kept trying to do the install when it did reboot repeatedly.
Actually if it tried to install the update repeatedly after rebooting (repeatedly) that probably means that it didn't work...until it booted up normally that is.

Quote:
I'll stick the DVR expander on my HTPC in the basement, since it has an eSATA port and see what Lifeguard Tools says about the drive. If it reports it as bad, it'll get tossed. If it's good, then I can only wonder about it.
Note that the drive itself may be fine, it may be the enclosure that's the problem. Others have found that the drive worked with a PC, but would no longer work with TiVo.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #5817
reubanks

Fry's has Hitachi 2TB for $109.25

http://www.frys.com/product/5947254?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #5818
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
Excellent find!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #5819
Boso_zuku

instead?

Looks like Newegg has the same thing with for 119 shipped with promo code (HITACHI2TB):
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822145276
I think the Fry's deal is in-store only.

Hard drive question. Just to be clear here.. the intellipark issue for newer WD drives is no longer an issue if you use the widdle software to disable it, right? Just want to confirm that pretty much any WD drive can now be used?
How about the WD20EARS with the 64mb buffer?

Last edited by Boso_zuku : 05-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Boso_zuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #5820
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso_zuku View Post
Hard drive question. Just to be clear here.. the intellipark issue for newer WD drives is no longer an issue if you use the widdle software to disable it, right? Just want to confirm that pretty much any WD drive can now be used?
How about the WD20EARS with the 64mb buffer?
Probably not all models, but I believe WD20EARS works fine with the widdle fix. I just received a WD20EARS from Newegg. I will find out for myself

I think I will pickup the Hitachi drive as a backup. I can always use the WD20EARS in my NAS if it doesn't work for any reason.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote