TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #5761
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcamille View Post
Can anyone tell me if WinMFS works with a Windows 7 64 Bit operating system? I have upgraded a couple of TiVo HD's in the past using my WinXP computer, but now a buddy of mine wants his TiVoHD upgraded and all of my computers are running Windows 7 64 bit.

Any feedback woudl be appreciated.
It works just fine; that's what I used. Just make sure to run it as Administrator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #5762
Spharticus

I'm a success! Yay!

lol.

Thanks to this informative (albeit freakin long) thread my HDT is now alive again thru the miracle of technology.

I used InstantCake (not without problems, see http://www.dvrupgrade.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676

Now i have 2TB of glorious HD recording space, untainted by suggestions and other mockery. Used the hitachi Deskstar drives and the Antec MX-1 enclosure.

I don't post much but when I get greatness from those geeks that went before me, always like to give a shout and thanks for your experimentation so it's easier for the rest of the little people.

Thanks!
Spharticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #5763
richsadams

Saaaayyyy...who you callin' a "geek" pal?

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #5764
tivoknucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. How old was it? A majority of posts indicate that the 500GB WD My DVR Expanders are lasting about 12 to 18 months. The good news (so far) is that the track record for the 1TB models seems to be much better. TIA.

I got it when they first came out, I guess about 2 years ago. No biggie, the 1 TB is better anyway
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #5765
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Saaaayyyy...who you callin' a "geek" pal?
Wear your Geekiness proudly. It's nerdiness which is to be avoided.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #5766
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Wear your Geekiness proudly. It's nerdiness which is to be avoided.
So you're saying that owning an original pair of Spock ears isn't fashionable any more?

Last edited by richsadams : 05-06-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: tyop…d'oh!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #5767
jjberger2134

Upgrade Success!! Proud owner of a TiVoHD with the Hitachi 1TB drive installed and 157 hours of HD capacity!!

Glad all of my preparation paid off. I was well prepared and encountered no glitches during the upgrade process. I probably spent several hours reading, thinking and preparing to do the upgrade (I know, I tend to over think things) and about 1 1/2 hours to actually do the upgrade (including transferring the recordings).

A huge thanks to bdktv, richsadams, everyone who put together WinMFS and everyone else who answered my preliminary upgrade questions.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #5768
seanmccord

"My DVR Expander" not mounting on TivoHD

Last year, I bought a used TivoHD from the original owner, and now am trying to expand storage with an *official* WD 1TB "My DVR Expander". The TivoHD will recognize that a drive has been attached and offer to configure it for use, I will go through the steps on the screen, but upon reboot the drive is not mounted and my TivoHD will ask me to start all over again. I have tried this many, many times since the weekend, but the results are always the same. I tried replacing the cable with a new eSATA, but that hasn't fixed a thing.

After reading this thread, I believe my problem may be that the previous owner of the TivoHD upgraded the drive, and that the solution is to "marry" the two drives on a PC and run WinMFS. That will be a problem for me since, a) I no longer own a desktop PC; and b) I would have to break open the WD "My DVR Expander" in order to attach it to the PC (thus, I assume, breaking any warranty).

Does anyone here have any other suggestions? Why is it that upgrading the original drive disallows just plugging in an external drive? As I said, the TivoHD recognizes that an external drive has been attached, it runs through the process, but the drive never mounts. Is there anything else I can do that doesn't require borrowing a desktop PC and breaking open the WD?
seanmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #5769
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
Upgrade Success!! Proud owner of a TiVoHD with the Hitachi 1TB drive installed and 157 hours of HD capacity!!
Sah-weet! Congrats and enjoy!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #5770
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccord View Post
Is there anything else I can do that doesn't require borrowing a desktop PC and breaking open the WD?
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Before going down any particular path, please check your TiVo's System Information and post how many hours are listed under Recording Capacity. That will better determine what you're up against. TIA!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #5771
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Wow. I had no idea that A/V drives are sophisticated enough to provide the capability to dynamically change their recovery strategy. Too bad TiVo doesn't take advantage of that.
Considering how many years the standard has been around you'd think they would. I really do not know if the newest TiVo models do. Here's some light reading for anyone interested in the subject: See Section 4.17 Streaming Feature Set of the AT Attachment with Packet Interface - 7 Volume 1 - Register Delivered Command Set, Logical Register Set (ATA/ATAPI-7 V1) document.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 AM   #5772
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Here's some light reading for anyone interested in the subject: See Section 4.17 Streaming Feature Set of the AT Attachment with Packet Interface - 7 Volume 1 - Register Delivered Command Set, Logical Register Set (ATA/ATAPI-7 V1) document.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #5773
seanmccord

Quote:
Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Before going down any particular path, please check your TiVo's System Information and post how many hours are listed under Recording Capacity. That will better determine what you're up against. TIA!
Thanks, Rich. I have heard back from the previous owner and confirmed that he upgraded to a 750GB drive before I purchased it from him. My current recording capacity is listed as "Variable, up to 106 HD hours, or 924 SD hours".
seanmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #5774
Keen

Quote:
Is there anything else I can do that doesn't require borrowing a desktop PC and breaking open the WD?
If you can find a desktop PC that has an eSATA port, I think you can use that to hook up the MyDVR Expander without breaking it open. I wish you luck.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #5775
cr33p

1tb WD10EARS on sale 69.99 shipped at newegg right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0&Tpk=wd10ears

Use promo mom1235
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #5776
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
1tb WD10EARS on sale 69.99 shipped at newegg right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0&Tpk=wd10ears

Use promo mom1235
Limit 5 per customer though.

Nice find!
Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #5777
cr33p

Quote:
Limit 5 per customer though.

Nice find!
Yah, and coupon only covers 1 drive GRRRRRR, that one made me a lil mad, I even talked with suppt to find that out.
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #5778
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
It'll work fine. WD GP drives are very quiet out of the box and the EVDS is an A/V dedicated drive (24 dBA - 25 dBA) so as rxrepli mentioned, you shouldn't need to make any AAM adjustments.
Quick question along these lines. I installed one of these EVDS drives with TiVo software, and allowed it to update before discovering this problem.

I've just run "wdidle3.exe /d" on it and it reported the feature is disabled, so I think I'm good there.

I just want to confirm that there's no need to reinstall the TiVo software. If I boot it up it should work fine now, right?

(More accurately, if I ship it out to my brother without confirming the install in my own series 3, will it work in his unit again only better now that this "feature" is gond?)
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #5779
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Quick question along these lines. I installed one of these EVDS drives with TiVo software, and allowed it to update before discovering this problem.

I've just run "wdidle3.exe /d" on it and it reported the feature is disabled, so I think I'm good there.

I just want to confirm that there's no need to reinstall the TiVo software. If I boot it up it should work fine now, right?

(More accurately, if I ship it out to my brother without confirming the install in my own series 3, will it work in his unit again only better now that this "feature" is gond?)
Interesting that it shows the Intellipark feature being disabled. Are you still able to give us the manufacture date? Just curious if this is just for the EVDS series or if WD is changing its manufacturing process again.

To answer your question, wdidle3.exe doesn't affect anything else on the hard drive.

With regard to the drive, it sounds like you want to ship the drive (only) to your brother and have him install it in his TiVo? First they both have to be the same model (not a Series3 and a TiVo HD for instance)...it sounds like they are both Series3's? If you used your TiVo's hard drive to image the new drive and it's subsequently installed in a different TiVo it will cause a hardware error. IIRC you should be able to install it in your TiVo, go into Settings and run Clear and Delete Everything. I believe that will allow it to be installed in your brother's TiVo.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #5780
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Interesting that it shows the Intellipark feature being disabled. Are you still able to give us the manufacture date? Just curious if this is just for the EVDS series or if WD is changing its manufacturing process again.

[other stuff deleted]

Hope that helps!
It does, thanks.

Sticker says 03 MAR 2010. Anything else useful on it before I send it to him?

Right, I understand about the CADE.

I'm running v. 1.0.3 of wdidle3.

The serial number starts with WD-WCAV5927xxxx, if that helps.

Model WDC WD10EVDS-63U8B0 per the wdidle3.exe utility.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #5781
richsadams

Quote:
It does, thanks.

Sticker says 03 MAR 2010. Anything else useful on it before I send it to him?

Right, I understand about the CADE.

I'm running v. 1.0.3 of wdidle3.

The serial number starts with WD-WCAV5927xxxx, if that helps.

Model WDC WD10EVDS-63U8B0 per the wdidle3.exe utility.
All good info...thanks very much!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #5782
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
With regard to the drive, it sounds like you want to ship the drive (only) to your brother and have him install it in his TiVo? First they both have to be the same model (not a Series3 and a TiVo HD for instance)...it sounds like they are both Series3's? If you used your TiVo's hard drive to image the new drive and it's subsequently installed in a different TiVo it will cause a hardware error. IIRC you should be able to install it in your TiVo, go into Settings and run Clear and Delete Everything. I believe that will allow it to be installed in your brother's TiVo.

Hope that helps!
And for the record, he can install it, get the hardware error, and do the CADE on that end.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #5783
alyssa

Quote:
Thanks, Rich. I have heard back from the previous owner and confirmed that he upgraded to a 750GB drive before I purchased it from him. My current recording capacity is listed as "Variable, up to 106 HD hours, or 924 SD hours".
Are you a mac guy? got any friends with a newer pc?
Can you return the MYDVR and get a 1TD HD & enclosure?
If so and you've got a friend with a pc (with a eSATA port) then you can take the upgraded 750HD & the new 1TB over to their computer & do the upgrade.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #5784
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Last year, I bought a used TivoHD from the original owner, and now am trying to expand storage with an *official* WD 1TB "My DVR Expander". The TivoHD will recognize that a drive has been attached and offer to configure it for use, I will go through the steps on the screen, but upon reboot the drive is not mounted and my TivoHD will ask me to start all over again. I have tried this many, many times since the weekend, but the results are always the same. I tried replacing the cable with a new eSATA, but that hasn't fixed a thing.

After reading this thread, I believe my problem may be that the previous owner of the TivoHD upgraded the drive, and that the solution is to "marry" the two drives on a PC and run WinMFS. That will be a problem for me since, a) I no longer own a desktop PC; and b) I would have to break open the WD "My DVR Expander" in order to attach it to the PC (thus, I assume, breaking any warranty).

Does anyone here have any other suggestions? Why is it that upgrading the original drive disallows just plugging in an external drive? As I said, the TivoHD recognizes that an external drive has been attached, it runs through the process, but the drive never mounts. Is there anything else I can do that doesn't require borrowing a desktop PC and breaking open the WD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Are you a mac guy? got any friends with a newer pc?
Can you return the MYDVR and get a 1TD HD & enclosure?
If so and you've got a friend with a pc (with a eSATA port) then you can take the upgraded 750HD & the new 1TB over to their computer & do the upgrade.
Another option is jut replace the 750G with a larger drive. Not as big an upgrade. Per this faq, you can go to 1.26T, so 66% bigger than what you have.

Still poses the problem of needing a PC with SATA. (See my next post, in case you're in my area.)
Old 05-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #5785
reubanks

Or...

You can "Broflovski".
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #5786
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubanks View Post
You can "Broflovski".
This mean anything to anyone? Sure, the South Park character. But otherwise, a complete non sequitur, no?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #5787
richsadams

Quote:
This mean anything to anyone? Sure, the South Park character. But otherwise, a complete non sequitur, no?
It's a reference to this post by a TCF member going by that name...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...70#post7823170

You'd still require a PC to upgrade, but it's possible to use the hack to get the full space out of a 1.5TB or 2TB hard drive.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #5788
alyssa

Quote:
Another option is jut replace the 750G with a larger drive. Not as big an upgrade. Per this faq, you can go to 1.26T, so 66% bigger than what you have.
I was thinking it'd be quicker at the friends house, to marry the two HD's than transferring all his shows to a new internal. Of course if there's beer & sports involved then time isn't so much the issue.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #5789
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I was thinking it'd be quicker at the friends house, to marry the two HD's than transferring all his shows to a new internal. Of course if there's beer & sports involved then time isn't so much the issue.
Depends on the friend's hardware. My Pentium II took 20 hours to do a backup|restore (recently upgraded to a Pentium III....I know, I'm a cheapskate).
Old 05-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #5790
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Yah, and [NewEgg] coupon only covers 1 drive GRRRRRR...
That is odd. In the past, I have been able to use NewEgg codes for the maximum allowed (although I have gotten "already used" errors if I subsequently try to use it again.) I just got several Samsung 2TB drives last week from them using one code ($120 each!). I hope you can get that resolved.