Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #5731
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugig View Post
Rich,
The original drive was unreliable before, prompting me to try the upgrade. <snip>
Sounds good. BTW, since you're using an image from a different TiVo you may run into a hardware error when booting up the "new" TiVo. Or it may appear to be okay, but may eventually not work properly. If that's the case you will probably have to do a Clear and Delete everything. Unfortunately that will most likely wipe your cable card pairing. Hopefully (if that's the case) your cableco will let you call in your cable card info instead of requiring a truck roll. (Unless you have FIOS in which case it won't make any difference as they don't pair cable cards).

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #5732
tivoknucklehead

my 500gb Western digital DVR expander just died. my tivo kept rebooting and then would not recognize it at all. Bought the new 1tb one and it works great. Only bad thing is I lost all my now playing shows
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #5733
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
my 500gb Western digital DVR expander just died. my tivo kept rebooting and then would not recognize it at all. Bought the new 1tb one and it works great. Only bad thing is I lost all my now playing shows
Sorry to hear about your loss. How old was it? A majority of posts indicate that the 500GB WD My DVR Expanders are lasting about 12 to 18 months. The good news (so far) is that the track record for the 1TB models seems to be much better. TIA.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #5734
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss. How old was it? A majority of posts indicate that the 500GB WD My DVR Expanders are lasting about 12 to 18 months. The good news (so far) is that the track record for the 1TB models seems to be much better. TIA.
Is it possible to disasemle a DVR expander and install a new drive and have the Tivo still pick the ID up properly? IE, a new 1tb drive into the old 500gb enclosure?
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #5735
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Is it possible to disasemle a DVR expander and install a new drive and have the Tivo still pick the ID up properly? IE, a new 1tb drive into the old 500gb enclosure?
Nope. The TivoHD recognizes only the specific drive model in the DVR expander, and not the enclosure itself. Any drive model other than the WD OEM one will not work via Plug and play in the enclosure.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #5736
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
No, the Tivo is recognizing the drive, not the enclosure. (I think I've read some people have had the enclosure go bad, some moving the drive to a new enclosure worked for them)
Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #5737
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity View Post
The second hitch was that setting AAM to 128 with Hitachi Tools would automatically set the mode to 'Enable (recommended value)' rather than 'Enable (user defined)'. The only way I could get around this was to select an AAM of 129 and then it stuck to 'Enable (user defined)'.
I ran into this, but perhaps you're "out thinking" the Hitachi Tools. Maybe it's the Jenglish tripping you up. I think that when the tools read back a value of 128, they display 'Enable (recommended value)'.

The "recommended value" for AAM is 128. So by setting to 'Enable (recommended value)', you're just setting to 128. Which is what you want. A setting of 129 is probably just a little noisier, and is, as you discovered, "user defined".

IIRC if you download the Drive Fitness Test (from the same website as the Hitachi Tools), one of the screens can display the AAM value. Can't set it, can only display. IIRC mine read as 128 after I set as described above by using Hitachi Tools.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 PM   #5738
eaayoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
No, the Tivo is recognizing the drive, not the enclosure. (I think I've read some people have had the enclosure go bad, some moving the drive to a new enclosure worked for them)
Try moving the drive to a new case. My 500 gig MyDVR died and I successfully relocated the drive to another case. This thread has plenty of reccomendations for a new external case. I eventually dropped the external drive from my setup due to problems with the external drive and a tuning adapter.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:25 AM   #5739
serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I ran into this, but perhaps you're "out thinking" the Hitachi Tools. Maybe it's the Jenglish tripping you up. I think that when the tools read back a value of 128, they display 'Enable (recommended value)'.

The "recommended value" for AAM is 128. So by setting to 'Enable (recommended value)', you're just setting to 128. Which is what you want. A setting of 129 is probably just a little noisier, and is, as you discovered, "user defined".

IIRC if you download the Drive Fitness Test (from the same website as the Hitachi Tools), one of the screens can display the AAM value. Can't set it, can only display. IIRC mine read as 128 after I set as described above by using Hitachi Tools.
Good to hear Im not alone
Yes I suspected that 128 might be the recommended value, but just wanted to be on the safe side in case it wasnt or in case the recommended value changed
serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #5740
drewfidelic

My WD 500 GB DVR expander died this week after about 15 months of service with my TiVo HD. After being unable to boot, I replaced the internal disk with a 1TB WD AV-GP, which seems to be working well.

Unfortunately, I could not boot the TiVo to unpair the Expander. WinMFS could see the original 160 GB drive as a TiVo disk, but the PC couldn't access the MyDVR Expander drive at all. So, I reimaged using InstantCake (whose price has gone up from the reasonable $19.99 to the less reasonable $39.99.) Unfortunately, this lost my CableCard info and I can't use cable until TWC sends a service tech out to re-pair the CableCard-- which is frustrating, because all the tech who first setup the CableCards did was call the office and read numbers off the screen. I can read numbers off a screen-- but don't know enough about cable terminology to have TWC tech support do this over the phone. Blergh.

So, kind of a major PITA, but at least I have more capacity with one less device sucking electricity, I suppose. It'd have been nice not to have to deal with the cable company.
drewfidelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #5741
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfidelic View Post
My WD 500 GB DVR expander died this week after about 15 months of service with my TiVo HD. After being unable to boot, I replaced the internal disk with a 1TB WD AV-GP, which seems to be working well.
Sorry to hear about your loss as well...but glad to hear that things are working even better than before. 15 months for a hard drive is pretty sad...WD should be embarrassed. It is frustrating that Cableco's won't let you read them the numbers. Some cableco's are pretty progressive and will let you do that, but others really need to catch up with the times.

Enjoy!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #5742
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfidelic View Post
Unfortunately, I could not boot the TiVo to unpair the Expander.
This was also my experience. When my expander went south it also corrupted the software on my internal drive. My box would no longer boot, with or without an expander attached.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #5743
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
This was also my experience. When my expander went south it also corrupted the software on my internal drive. My box would no longer boot, with or without an expander attached.
...and Rich would not drive over and give you an image?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #5744
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Newegg Rocks! They continue to amaze me with great customer service.

I live in Newburyport, MA and their warehouse (perhaps they have more than 1, dunno) appears to be in NJ.

I ordered my Hitachi 1TB drive and Thermaltake SATA USB doc yesterday at about 2pm. I chose the 3-5 day shipping, which was free on both items.

Well, the package is already "out for delivery" as of 7am from my "local" UPS hub.

HFC!!!!

Looks like I will be doing my first upgrade ever this weekend. Yay!
Looking forward to doing my first upgrade today. Off to soccer first and then I start the process.

Interestingly, I had been experiencing about 1 or maybe 2 freeze/reboots a day/night. But last night, while trying to watch 2 programs, I had 4 reboots/freezes. It's a good thing my drive came from Newegg so fast. I don't think I would have made it to next weekend (of course, I would have just pulled the Expander, but I digress).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #5745
sasmps
Dirtdober

Question on Hitachi Cinemaster HCS721010KLA332

Considering the rating for this drive is a '7' (quiet), is it necessary to run the Hitachi Tools and set the AAM to 128?
sasmps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #5746
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

How Important To Have A-V Drive?

How important is it to use a drive that is designed for A-V use?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #5747
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmps View Post
Considering the rating for this drive is a '7' (quiet), is it necessary to run the Hitachi Tools and set the AAM to 128?
As far as I know, AAM is already enabled on the Cinemastar drives.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #5748
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Upgrade success! 157 Hours!!! Yayy!!!

The Hitachi 31000 drive I used is a Deskstar series and is listed in the top of the FAQ as a good drive to use.

I left the AAM where it was and did not change it. I can hear it, but in my room, maybe only during very quiet moments in a show will I notice it. I can always go back and change it if I want.

My first ever upgrade went smoothly. Many thanks again go to Rich Adams for his help during the decision making process and all.

And yes Rich, I can now say "well that was easy" (thanks for lending the phrase Staples).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #5749
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Upgrade success! 157 Hours!!! Yayy!!!

The Hitachi 31000 drive I used is a Deskstar series and is listed in the top of the FAQ as a good drive to use.

I left the AAM where it was and did not change it. I can hear it, but in my room, maybe only during very quiet moments in a show will I notice it. I can always go back and change it if I want.

My first ever upgrade went smoothly. Many thanks again go to Rich Adams for his help during the decision making process and all.

And yes Rich, I can now say "well that was easy" (thanks for lending the phrase Staples).
Congrats. It's a great feeling isn't it? I've had Hitachi drives in both of my TiVos for over 2 years now. Work like a charm.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #5750
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Yes, it is a great feeling. And me being as anal as I am, I have 5 copies of my image: the original drive, a copy on my pc, a copy on my pc's external drive, and 2 CD copies. Excessive?

I am just glad I know how easy it now is and that if I have any problems down the road, help is just one hard drive away.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #5751
cjgadd3

As long as we're sharing success stories, after a long procrastination, I upgraded the drive in my HD to a 500 GB Seagate. Followed the instructions on page 1 and went smooth as silk. Total time including transferring "my now playing" list was about an hour and a half. Went from 20 hours to 76 hours (HD).
cjgadd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #5752
richsadams

Wowee! All these new members of the TCF "Supersized" Club...kind of brings a tear to my eye.

Congrats guys and enjoy!!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #5753
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
How important is it to use a drive that is designed for A-V use?
It's not. A/V dedicated drives are quiet because as mentioned, they already have the AAM set low. They also have a number of other features that for better or worse TiVo can't take advantage of. For that reason they often command a higher price.

The bottom line is to stick with one of the recommended hard drives in the FAQ and you'll be in good shape.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #5754
Keen

After a mere 7 months, my 1TB MyDVR Expander started having issues. Time to order some new hardware to replace my Tivo HD's internal drive. Am I reading the FAQ correctly, my non-XL Tivo HD can have a 1TB internal drive and a 1TB external drive? I think I'll be going for that.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:46 AM   #5755
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
Am I reading the FAQ correctly, my non-XL Tivo HD can have a 1TB internal drive and a 1TB external drive? I think I'll be going for that.
That's correct. Happy upgrading!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #5756
Keen

Snagged a 1TB WD Green drive at Best Buy today. Followed the steps in the FAQ (except for the wdidle stuff), and I'm up and running. Instead of burning the wdidle files to a disk, I used UNetbootin to make a USB flash drive into a FreeDOS boot disk. I copied over the wdidle.exe file, and rebooted. The wdidle.exe was on the "C:\" drive, and I ran it per the instructions in the FAQ. Now I've got 157 hours of HD recording to fill up again! In a few weeks I'll get an external 1TB drive setup so I won't have to worry about space... for a month or two, hehe.

Got it started up just in time for the new episodes of Treme and Breaking Bad to start recording.

Last edited by Keen : 05-02-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:20 AM   #5757
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
It's not. A/V dedicated drives are quiet because as mentioned, they already have the AAM set low. They also have a number of other features that for better or worse TiVo can't take advantage of.
Drives with firmware meant for RAID applications do something WD calls Time Limited Error Recovery. I believe the same general idea is in A/V drives. Most people would rather the drive give up quickly in trying to read data (even if this means the screen displays garbage for a second or two), rather than retrying for seconds or even minutes.

Having said all that, I still chose to live dangerously by buying a non A/V, non RAID application Hitachi drive.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #5758
jlib
Lean Forward

Yes, the TLER of an enterprise RAID drive is like the lazy error correction mode of an AV drive but TLER, if enabled, is always on. The RAID controller is assumed to be in charge of error recovery. You can use an enterprise RAID drive (assuming you have one quiet enough) in a TiVo but there is not the normal error recovery one might want for important data such as your operating system or your season pass database. I have used one (because it was free) for several years to no ill effect, though. There is also a WD utility that lets you disable it on drives that are capable of TLER so a RAID drive can act as a normal drive. Edit: The link you provided says they no longer make that utility available nor recommend its use on current models (probably due more to marketing stratification rather than technical issues).

An AV drive's error correction is dependent upon commands received from the host before each request. The idea of the AV drive is that error recovery is turned down for the streaming (non-critical information) but turned on for operating system functions. The TiVo doesn't speak that language (at least the Series 3 ones) so the drive behaves normally and the only advantage to using such a drive is its detuned seek performance which means one does not have to manually set the AAM level.

Last edited by jlib : 05-04-2010 at 06:12 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #5759
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
An AV drive's error correction is dependent upon commands received from the host before each request. The idea of the AV drive is that error recovery is turned down for the streaming (non-critical information) but turned on for operating system functions. The TiVo doesn't speak that language (at least the Series 3 ones) so the drive behaves normally and the only advantage to using such a drive is its detuned seek performance which means one does not have to manually set the AAM level.
Wow. I had no idea that A/V drives are sophisticated enough to provide the capability to dynamically change their recovery strategy. Too bad TiVo doesn't take advantage of that.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:17 AM   #5760
rcamille

WinMFS and Windows 7 64 Bit

Can anyone tell me if WinMFS works with a Windows 7 64 Bit operating system? I have upgraded a couple of TiVo HD's in the past using my WinXP computer, but now a buddy of mine wants his TiVoHD upgraded and all of my computers are running Windows 7 64 bit.

Any feedback woudl be appreciated.

Thanks
rcamille is offline   Reply With Quote