TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #541
Kenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspoto View Post
I know that the TiVo HD units have a plug and play compatability with the WD 500 GB TiVo Branded my book external drives and that is the only drive the eSATA will be plug and play. What is it about those drives that make them plug and play?
I believe it's the drive's model number. The TiVo HD unit can query the eSATA drive for its model number, and the only model number on the "approved" list is the model used in the WD My Book.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #542
richsadams

Quote:
Hello,
I'm a first time poster to this forum so please excuse me if I am asking something that has already been answered somewhere else but I have done a bit of searching here and can't find any answers...
I have a TiVo HD and am interested in adding that additional storage using the eSATA. I know that the TiVo HD units have a plug and play compatability with the WD 500 GB TiVo Branded my book external drives and that is the only drive the eSATA will be plug and play.

What is it about those drives that make them plug and play?

I have read the sticky thread about how to use MFSTLive to "marry" an external HD to the TiVos built in drive so that it can be used externaly, but I really don't look forward to breaking open my TiVo to try and attach the 1GB external storage of my dreams. So I am trying to find some data on what makes the branded TiVO xternal HD's so special in hopes of developing some type of workaround that keeps my TiVo (and warrenty) in tact.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

Kenji is correct, that model number is the only one that TiVo HD's can use as it is built into the OS/software. "Experts" with many years of experience hacking TiVo’s (namely Spike at MFSLive.org and others) have been working on this for several months and to date they haven't been able to crack the code. Even if they do, it would almost certainly require a hard drive removal and upgrade anyway.

The only work-around is to perform the internal upgrade work you mention.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM   #543
gspoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
I believe it's the drive's model number. The TiVo HD unit can query the eSATA drive for its model number, and the only model number on the "approved" list is the model used in the WD My Book.
Wow...ok. That is interesting.
Since I am more of a software guy then a hardware guy I am guessing that there model number somehow stored perminantly on a PROM somehow on the HD.

So if that is the case, how does "marrying" a new non approved external; drive work? What is done in this process that makes the TiVo HD ok with this device? If I read the documentatin on how to use MFST marrying a drive doesn't make any changes to the stock TiVo drive.
gspoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #544
bkdtv

Quote:
So if that is the case, how does "marrying" a new non approved external; drive work? What is done in this process that makes the TiVo HD ok with this device? If I read the documentatin on how to use MFST marrying a drive doesn't make any changes to the stock TiVo drive.
Basically, an external drive must be prepared (married to internal drive) before it will work. The TivoHD will only do that preparation for the Western Digital My DVR Expander.

But TiVo does not stop you from using external drives prepared using other means. That's what WinMFS does; it prepares (marries) the external drive just as the TiVo normally would, except it will work with any drive.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #545
stretch35

Got off phone with level2 tech at WD..costco esata my book 1terabyte drive won't work in his words..he mention the official tivo drive..1 terabyte maybe next year..now with some problems with the offical drive starting to show up..and with an on going writer's strike..I'm tempted to just bag the whole idea..got 2 hd capable tivos 3 &hd) what is involved in using antec mx-1 and wd caviar 1terabyte drive..is there a cable inside mx-1that links drive to esata port on the inside??
stretch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #546
gspoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Basically, an external drive must be prepared (married to internal drive) before it will work. The TivoHD will only do that preparation for the Western Digital My DVR Expander.

But TiVo does not stop you from using external drives prepared using other means. That's what WinMFS does; it prepares (marries) the external drive just as the TiVo normally would, except it will work with any drive.
Ok... that makes sense to me.
So once an external drive is preped, is there anything that keeps an image of a clean "preped" drive from being placed onto a new clean drive that hasn't been preped?

BTW... Thank you all (Kenji, Rich, bkdtv)for making a new poster feel welcome.

Greg
Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #547
gspoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch35 View Post
Got off phone with level2 tech at WD..costco esata my book 1terabyte drive won't work in his words..he mention the official tivo drive..1 terabyte maybe next year..now with some problems with the offical drive starting to show up..and with an on going writer's strike..I'm tempted to just bag the whole idea..got 2 hd capable tivos 3 &hd) what is involved in using antec mx-1 and wd caviar 1terabyte drive..is there a cable inside mx-1that links drive to esata port on the inside??
I have used for some time an old pentium 3 PC networked with TiVo Series 2. The PC did nothing but hold some big HDs and run the TiVO desktop. With the recent desktop versions having an auto download feature and the TiVo being able to stream back from the PC I have used this setup for awhile to act as external storage in the series 2 era. I haven't tried it with the HD content yet, but I expect that the HD stream will not keep up playing live because of the file size. But in the short term it is a (almost) adequate solution. Not like having a bunch of HD programming at your fingertips... but it is better then nothing.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #548
kohi
日本語の学生

mx-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch35 View Post

Check out the MX-1 Video Demonstration ---> http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77150

It's pretty thorough.

Hope that helps.

Kohi
kohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #549
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
TiVo or really any computer isn't capable of "creating bad sectors", or really "writing bad data", unless the incoming data is getting corrupted somehow.
I know. Let's start by saying I'm a senior software engineer and I work on low-level driver-like software for a living.

You can absolutely create bad *data* on the drive if something is severely slowing down the OS. Drivers are not quite as susceptible to things like virtual memory thrashing as regular code, but it's pretty well known that there's a memory fragmentation leak somewhere in TiVos that slows down the UI as uptime increases, and it's conceivable that the drivers are missing an interrupt or allowing a write buffer to starve or something.

It's also possible that there's a memory corruption problem which is causing problems with the drive controller's current mode/settings. I've seen the mpeg decoder get into a bad state, so there's no reason to assume the drive controller is any safer from this.

Quote:
Bad sectors can be caused by damaging the actual platters in the hard drive (dropping it, etc.),
Anyone who owned a commodore 64 could tell you that it's also possible to produce deliberate bad sectors through software. As long as you have enough low-level control, or as long as you can mess up whatever does have low-level control of the drive, it doesn't necessarily require a physical problem.

Quote:
however it's much more common to "discover" a manufacturing defect with data just now being written to that area.
Not impossible, but given that all I'm resetting each week is the OS, it seems unlikely. It's also unlikely that I'd get to the pretty much same conditions in pretty much the same span of time three times in a row if it were a random encounter with a bad area of the platter(s). I'd expect to find the bad area after a day or ten or thirty, not exactly a week each time.

On the other hand, a week is pretty much exactly how long a TiVo usually takes to start bogging down.

Quote:
Other issues can do the same such as overheating (not uncommon in eSATA drives w/o a cooling fan and/or good ventilation)
The enclosure doesn't even seem to be as warm as my hand.

Quote:
and electrical variations including surges/spikes and brownouts (all of which can go undetected).
Power is coming from a power conditioner. Also, as pointed out above, power issues should be random and not weekly-periodic.

Quote:
If there is an issue with the hard drive you can try running TiVo's diagnostic program
Yeah, I may just do that.

Quote:
So your post begs a few questions. What do you mean by "hitches"?
Hitches in this case are the mpeg decoder being starved for input. It appears to me that the usual readahead is stalled on a read that is taking far too long, which is usually the symptom of a drive internally retrying the read due to a problem/error. Eventually, something times out and the show picks up a little later where the data is good again. During the stall, no UI input works, though it is queued up and executed after the stall.

Quote:
Are all of your connections (particularly the eSATA cable) snug and not loose?
Yup, not to mention hidden away from the wife's cleaning hands.

Quote:
Also when you're rebooting TiVo are you doing a hard reboot or a menu restart?
It's a soft reboot. Reinit the OS/drivers.

Quote:
Is your TiVo on a surge protector or even better a UPS/line conditioner?
The TiVo and the drive are both powered by a line conditioner.

Last edited by Aiken : 12-05-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #550
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
I know. Let's start by saying I'm a senior software engineer and I work on low-level driver-like software for a living.

You can absolutely create bad *data* on the drive if something is severely slowing down the OS. Drivers are not quite as susceptible to things like virtual memory thrashing as regular code, but it's pretty well known that there's a memory fragmentation/leak somewhere in TiVos that slows down the UI as uptime increases, and it's conceivable that the drivers are missing an interrupt or allowing a write buffer to starve or something.

It's also possible that there's a memory corruption problem which is causing problems with the drive controller's current mode/settings. There's a known issue where the mpeg decoder can get into a bad state, so there's no reason to assume the drive controller is any safer from this.

Anyone who owned a commodore 64 could tell you that it's also possible to produce deliberate bad sectors through software. As long as you have enough low-level control, or as long as you can mess up whatever does have low-level control of the drive, it doesn't necessarily require a physical problem.

Not impossible, but given that all I'm resetting each week is the OS, it seems unlikely. It's also unlikely that I'd get to the pretty much same conditions in pretty much the same span of time three times in a row if it were a random encounter with a bad area of the platter(s). I'd expect to find the bad area after a day or ten or thirty, not exactly a week each time.

On the other hand, a week is pretty much exactly how long a TiVo usually takes to start bogging down.

The enclosure doesn't even seem to be as warm as my hand.

Power is coming from a power conditioner. Also, as pointed out above, power issues should be random and not weekly-periodic.

Yeah, I may just do that.

Hitches in this case are the mpeg decoder being starved for input. It appears to me that the usual readahead is stalled on a read that is taking far too long, which is usually the symptom of a drive internally retrying the read due to a problem/error. Eventually, something times out and the show picks up a little later where the data is good again. During the stall, no UI input works, though it is queued up and executed after the stall.

Yup, not to mention hidden away from the wife's cleaning hands.

It's a soft reboot. Reinit the OS/drivers.

The TiVo and the drive are both powered by a line conditioner.
Um, okay. You're the expert. Let us know what you find out when you figure it out.

Then you'll probably want to work on deleting your double posts...something a little less technical in nature.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #551
Clentz

My bad, I should have said 1 meter

Quote:
It looks like your warning not to use the WD 1TB Home Edition drives available at Costco for Series3 expansion drives should probably be heeded based on posts by you and others. The fact that your posts were caught up in other issues clouded things up on my part.

You are correct, shorter eSATA (and all) cables are better. The recommended SIIG cable is 1m, so just a little longer than 3ft. As long as they're kept away from EMI such as UPS systems, speakers, and not run in parallel with power cords, etc. they are usually okay. The SIIG cable has good shielding, but some of the lower quality eSATA cables don't.

A majority of the troubles over the past six months or so have been with the connectors on the eSATA cables which are either too short, come loose easily or are of poor quality. Antec's MX-1's were shipping with poor quality cables for a time although they seem to be okay now.

Didn't you already have an MX-1 enclosure? Ours runs very cool with a Seagate DB35 drive 24/7.

Thanks for the "heads up". Although all external drives have a bridge of some sort, this WD 1TB Home Edition must have something "special" about it to make it incompatible.

It's possible as stretch35 mentioned that it needs an immediate connection which TiVo may not provide. It's also likely using the WD 1TB GP OEM HDD and some of those installed internally have given Series3's trouble with menu restarts. Those using them in their own external enclosures don't seem to be seeing any problems though so I'm still leaning toward a bridge issue. Time will tell.

I misquoted, I should have said 1 meter instead of three feet. (~3 in error) Perhaps it stems from my inability to adapt. When I was in school, us students were told that the units of measurement would be changing to metric. I have not really seen this and never have gotten used to those measurements in plus 65 years.
Has anyone gotten inside of “Costco’s box” to see what is inside? It could be ….. There is no guarantee that the HDD is even the same drive that WD is marketing as their 1TB green drive.

Carl
Clentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #552
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
Um, okay. You're the expert. Let us know what you find out when you figure it out.

Then you'll probably want to work on deleting your double posts...something a little less technical in nature.
That's odd. I came back to my computer hours after writing the post and it appeared I had never actually submitted the post. I then looked over the thread to make sure I hadn't, and it wasn't there, so I submitted it. I don't know how I managed to miss it, since it would still have been the very last post in the thread.

Anyway, I really appreciate your response. It always brightens my day to see someone get their priorities in order and take care of their own ego. Too many people neglect theirs. Still, no matter how awesome your post was, this is all off-topic and we should probably try to get back on course.

It should be interesting to see if anyone else with a TiVo-blessed expander reports similar symptoms. For everyone's sake, I suppose I hope no one does, but if it really is a software issue, I hope enough of us report it for it to get attention. It has to be people reporting the TiVo-blessed expander, though, since third-party drives like that of the poster I responded to aren't officially supported and so probably won't be a high debugging priority.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #553
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clentz View Post
I misquoted, I should have said 1 meter instead of three feet. (~3 in error) Perhaps it stems from my inability to adapt. When I was in school, us students were told that the units of measurement would be changing to metric. I have not really seen this and never have gotten used to those measurements in plus 65 years.
Has anyone gotten inside of “Costco’s box” to see what is inside? It could be ….. There is no guarantee that the HDD is even the same drive that WD is marketing as their 1TB green drive.

Carl
AFAIK it's the only 1TB drive WD is manufacturing right now; nothing else on their website. It's being used inside the Apricorn Xpander as well.

BTW, don't be so hard on yourself. 1 meter = 3.2808399 feet.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #554
bkdtv

Is anyone successfully using a WD My Book 1TB with their TiVo? I've seen several posts from different members reporting issues with that drive.

Western Digital may be using a bridge chip in that product that is incompatible with the TiVo.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #555
richsadams

Quote:
Is anyone successfully using a WD My Book 1TB with their TiVo? I've seen several posts from different members reporting issues with that drive.

Western Digital may be using a bridge chip in that product that is incompatible with the TiVo.
Based on all of the posts to date, I don't think anyone's had any luck with that drive.

I also speculated that it's the three-way bridge a while back...seems like the only thing that could be causing the problem.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #556
sailomb

Issues with WD 1TB HD

I have been trying to install a 1TD eSata HD from WD also. I am having issues. Here is the history:

1. 6 months ago I installed a 500GB eSATA WD external HD to my series3 using the kickstart method. It worked as normal.

2. The drive was fine after 9.2 update.

3. I found a WD 1TB Essential edition (USB 2.0 only) at Circuit City on Sale on Black Friday. So I bought it.

4. I took it a part and it has a WD 1TB green drive in it.

5. I then backed up my tivo recordings to the PC using TivoToGo. This took more than 24hrs. I had alot to back up.

6. I powered down the TIVO by disconnecting power. I removed the 500GB eSATA drive and took it apart. I put the 1TB green drive in the 500GB eSATA enclosure so now I have a 1TB green drive with eSATA.

7. I plugged it in the TIVO with the same eSATA cable that worked fine.

8. After the power up, TIVO error saying "There is a major issue with TIVO. This can take up to 3 HOURS to repair" Tivo goes on to do a diagnostic and about 15 mins later it booted back up. My new 1TB HD was seen by system info as an installed external device. Buy yet the capacity was only 32 HRS for HD (250GB internal drive).

9. I went into settings to enable the drive but nothing happened. It did not give me the next page that says external drive detected.

10. I reboot 2 more times and same thing... I'm worried.

11. I turn off TIVO. I removed the drive. I rebooted with TIVO only. It now tells me that an external drive was removed. So I hit clear and rebooted anyways.

12. After the reboot, I turn off TIVO again and installed the drive. Everything seems to be working alot better now. I went in and enabled the drive and it TIVO allowed me to do this. TIVO then rebooted and I now have 165 HRS of HD recording.

I think the key here was to have TIVO reboot with no drives attached before attaching another drive. Hope this helps someone. By the way I got the 1TB drive for $200 (after a mail in rebate).
sailomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #557
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailomb View Post
I think the key here was to have TIVO reboot with no drives attached before attaching another drive. Hope this helps someone. By the way I got the 1TB drive for $200 (after a mail in rebate).
Yes, you need to "unmarry" the original drive before you add a new one. This is accomplished by booting the TiVo without the drive you want to replace.

Did you ever try the WD My Book 1Tb with its original enclosure? Were you able to work?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #558
bkdtv

Quote:
Based on all of the posts to date, I don't think anyone's had any luck with that drive.

I also speculated that it's the three-way bridge a while back...seems like the only thing that could be causing the problem.
Thanks, I'll add a "drives confirmed not to work" section to the first post.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #559
sailomb

Quote:
Yes, you need to "unmarry" the original drive before you add a new one. This is accomplished by booting the TiVo without the drive you want to replace.

Did you ever try the WD My Book 1Tb with its original enclosure? Were you able to work?
The WD My Book 1Tb I got was a USB 2.0 version. That is why I had to swap out the drives.
sailomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #560
Burt Spielman

Partial Success Using WinMFS on an Intel Mac with Parallels Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Spielman View Post
I have a USB 2.0 PCI card on order. At about 40 times the transfer rate, the copy will still take several hours, but, at least, it will be manageable. (Yes, I could have ordered a more expensive eSATA card, but I've already got the USB-to-SATA adapters mentioned in bkdtv's FAQ.)

So, for now, the 750GB drive goes back into the TiVo S3 until I can start this process again. Stay tuned!
Well, I'm still waiting for the USB 2.0 PCI card for our old PC. In the meantime, I decided to experiment with WinMFS on my Intel iMac running Windows XP Pro SP2 with Parallels Desktop. The Mac has USB 2.0 ports, so I figured I'd have little to lose by trying.

Sure enough, I was able to run WinMFS, which recognized the 750GB drive removed from the TiVo S3 and the 1TB drive intended to replace it. I was able to use the "backup" command in WinMFS to create a file on the Windows desktop. Just for the record, it took 1:05 to create a 252MB file on a 2GHz Intel Core Duo (not the latest Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Extreme) iMac, using the USB-to-SATA adapters specified in the FAQ.

However, the mfscopy stalled after several hours, acting much the same way it did on the PIII PC. The adapters have LEDs, green and red, that display activity. During my earlier attempts using the USB 1.1 ports on the PC, these blinked, alternately red then green, quite slowly, until I lost patience with WinMFS's inability to display the progress of the copy and aborted the copy.

Using the USB 2.0 ports on the Mac, the blinking on the adapters was much faster, so much so that the red and green LEDs appeared to be on simultaneously on both adapters. But, after a few hours, the adapter on the 750GB drive shows both red and green, steadily on, while the 1TB adapter is green with no blinking.

Meanwhile, Windows reports WinMFS as "not responding," even though, initially, it was working, just as noted in the FAQ. (Ah, Windows! "Not responding" means it's working! Is that anything like clicking on the "Start" button to shut down? Makes perfect sense to me!)

By the way, because of the inadvertent omission of the crucial mfscopy step in the FAQ when I initially started this, I did mfsadd only, as I described in an earlier post. WinMFS displays both the 750GB and the 1TB drives as TiVo formatted. Could the format of the 1TB drive be interfering with the mfscopy? On the PC as well as on the Mac?

To say the least, I'm puzzled by all of this. Someone here has suggested that I might be better off downloading the MFSLive Boot CD image and launching the program in Linux directly from the disk. If I have to resort to that, I'll need additional cabling and another PCI card to attach the SATA drives to the ancient PC.

I'd appreciate comments/guidance here. This process is definitely not (at least for the moment) as straightforward as described. For the moment, the 750GB drive goes back into the TiVo again.

TiVo Series 3 (1TB internal; 1TB external)
SAT-T60 DirecTiVo (retired except to view archived recordings)

Last edited by Burt Spielman : 12-06-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Burt Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #561
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailomb View Post
I have been trying to install a 1TD eSata HD from WD also. I am having issues. Here is the history:

1. 6 months ago I installed a 500GB eSATA WD external HD to my series3 using the kickstart method. It worked as normal.

2. The drive was fine after 9.2 update.

3. I found a WD 1TB Essential edition (USB 2.0 only) at Circuit City on Sale on Black Friday. So I bought it.

4. I took it a part and it has a WD 1TB green drive in it.

5. I then backed up my tivo recordings to the PC using TivoToGo. This took more than 24hrs. I had alot to back up.

6. I powered down the TIVO by disconnecting power. I removed the 500GB eSATA drive and took it apart. I put the 1TB green drive in the 500GB eSATA enclosure so now I have a 1TB green drive with eSATA.

7. I plugged it in the TIVO with the same eSATA cable that worked fine.

8. After the power up, TIVO error saying "There is a major issue with TIVO. This can take up to 3 HOURS to repair" Tivo goes on to do a diagnostic and about 15 mins later it booted back up. My new 1TB HD was seen by system info as an installed external device. Buy yet the capacity was only 32 HRS for HD (250GB internal drive).

9. I went into settings to enable the drive but nothing happened. It did not give me the next page that says external drive detected.

10. I reboot 2 more times and same thing... I'm worried.

11. I turn off TIVO. I removed the drive. I rebooted with TIVO only. It now tells me that an external drive was removed. So I hit clear and rebooted anyways.

12. After the reboot, I turn off TIVO again and installed the drive. Everything seems to be working alot better now. I went in and enabled the drive and it TIVO allowed me to do this. TIVO then rebooted and I now have 165 HRS of HD recording.

Thanks very much for posting all of the detailed info. If only others would be as specific! I read and re-read all of the steps you took and I think I see one error (which bkdtv pointed out earlier...and I missed until just now ).

It appears that you did not properly divorce your original eSATA drive from TiVo before installing the new eSATA drive. Although all you did was swap one drive for another, TiVo recognizes eSATA drives by model number.

When you re-booted TiVo with the "new" eSATA drive attached it would have been looking for your original eSATA drive. Not finding it caused it to believe there was data corruption. It properly went into diagnostic mode; triggering an MFS assert (GSOD), which marks the file system as being damaged. The repair process detects and repairs inode/data problems, and then runs mfscheck to clean up database and directory problems.

So the lesson here appears to be that if you're going to swap out an eSATA drive for another one, be sure to divorce the existing drive first.

1. Unplug TiVo.
2. Disconnect the AC cord and eSATA cable from the eSATA drive.
3. Plug TiVo back in and follow the onscreen divorce instructions.
4. After TiVo has fully rebooted w/o the eSATA drive unplug it again.
5. Plug the new eSATA drive in, turn it on and connect the eSATA cable.
6. Plug TiVo in and follow the screen instructions to marry the new drive.

Divorces can be messy. Glad to hear your new marriage working out!

BTW, if you happen to look at your new drive again, can you post the full model number? It should be one of these two:

WD10EACS-00ZJB0 (OEM)

WD10EACS-32ZJB0 (Retail)

It'll help others in the future...your chance to give back to the community!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #562
gwsat

I continue to follow this thread, albeit fitfully, because of the depth of knowledge and experience you regular posters to the thread exhibit about adding eSATA drives to S3s and HDs. Despite the great work of all of you who have gone before me, I am still putting off adding an eSATA drive to my S3. So far, the mild inconvenience of being limited to 250 gig of recording capacity bothers me less that the risks currently inherent in adding a 1 TB eSATA drive. I don't want to add anything smaller. Maybe WD will add one that TiVo blesses sometime. I hope so
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #563
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I continue to follow this thread, albeit fitfully, because of the depth of knowledge and experience you regular posters to the thread exhibit about adding eSATA drives to S3s and HDs. Despite the great work of all of you who have gone before me, I am still putting off adding an eSATA drive to my S3. So far, the mild inconvenience of being limited to 250 gig of recording capacity bothers me less that the risks currently inherent in adding a 1 TB eSATA drive. I don't want to add anything smaller. Maybe WD will add one that TiVo blesses sometime. I hope so
I assume you're looking for an out-of-the-box solution? The 1-TB Hitachi that Best Buy has on sale for $199 on occasion work great, but you'll need to remove the drive from the USB case and use an eSATA case. I picked up 2 more of these drives at that price just before turkeyday, they are not back to around $360 I believe.

I use an Antec MX-1 which has also worked perfectly, those can be found occasionally for about $40 when on sale. So far about $240 I've got a 1-TB solution that so far seems to be bullet-proof.

It takes about 15 mins to extract and re-house the drive, very, very, low on the technical ability scale.

Food for thought anyway.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #564
BigHat

Backordered

My std Western Digital external drive is on backorder.

My question fort you pros:

Should I just cnx the order and get another drive (same or bigger)?
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #565
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
My std Western Digital external drive is on backorder.

My question fort you pros:

Should I just cnx the order and get another drive (same or bigger)?
Guess it depends on what you mean by "std Western Digital external drive...", how much space you need, what model TiVo you have, etc. Need some more info.

BTW, pros at what?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #566
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Not if you discern no head seek noise.
Thanks, I can only hear anything if I get down right next to it, so it stays the way it is.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 AM   #567
BigHat

Quote:
Guess it depends on what you mean by "std Western Digital external drive...", how much space you need, what model TiVo you have, etc. Need some more info.

BTW, pros at what?

Sorry,
To answer your questions. I meant the Tivo expansion drive that's marketed as such. I have S3s. In terms of capacity; can there be too much space?

Actually, I have a 500mb drive in one S3 already, so 500mb would likely be enough, but a TB drive would be nice.

I guess the point is the drives at BB and Tivo store are backordered and wondered if there are other plug and play options.

Thanks.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #568
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

I guess the point is the drives at BB and Tivo store are backordered and wondered if there are other plug and play options.

Thanks.
Since you have a S3 and not a HD Tivo, I've heard that with the new update from Tivo the Apricorn Xpander drive is plug and play. You can get a 1TB drive for like $379 I think. Here is the link:

http://www.apricorn.com/product_deta...e=family&id=37
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #569
StuRothrock

I received my Series 3 HD yesterday - I let it cook all night to see if it would download the update. It did not.

I forced a "Connect to the TiVo service now" - It installed 9.2a-01-2-648 - rebooted with 1TB WDC WD10EACS green drive - received a message that it found the external drive - rebooted - It was all very sweet - System Information reveals - up to 165HD hours, or 1561 SD hours.

I can't wait to get a 4 drive external eSata case to see what TiVo reports - hehehehe!!!!!
StuRothrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #570
gwsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
I assume you're looking for an out-of-the-box solution? The 1-TB Hitachi that Best Buy has on sale for $199 on occasion work great, but you'll need to remove the drive from the USB case and use an eSATA case. I picked up 2 more of these drives at that price just before turkeyday, they are not back to around $360 I believe.

I use an Antec MX-1 which has also worked perfectly, those can be found occasionally for about $40 when on sale. So far about $240 I've got a 1-TB solution that so far seems to be bullet-proof.

It takes about 15 mins to extract and re-house the drive, very, very, low on the technical ability scale.

Food for thought anyway.
Keenan – Thanks, I will look at that. The MX-1 housing has clearly proved itself and $200 for an Hitachi 1 TB drive that will work with the TiVo S3 in that enclosure is tempting. Unfortunately, as of about 5 minutes ago the Hitachi DeskStar 1 TB internal drive is $330 on BB’s Web site. I’ll continue to keep an eye out at BB to see if it goes on sale again, though.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote