TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #5641
filmont

Thumbs up Hitachi HD3100 Sucessful Upgrade Series3

Just though I'd post my experience on the up grade. It's going to be a little long winded so hold on!
1. Bought Series 3 on ebay w/o HDD

2. Instantcaked a random 320GB HDD with no problems. (mounted HDD and CDROM to sata expansion card)

3. Bought the Hitachi 3100 1TB from Newegg (during their $70 sale)

4. Used WinMFS to upgrade the new disk.
a) Made a truncated backup of the 320GB drive with a NexStar - 3 external case (made by Vantec)
b) Swapped the 1TB and did a restore. (forgot to supersize it but did it later w/o any problems)

5. Booted the Tivo with new drive. After the "few minutes more" screen it green screened. I left it alone and it kept rebooting and getting to that point and repeating quickly. After about the 8th reboot it stayed on the green screen for much longer. It took about an hour on the last green screen but after that success!

Please feel free to contact me with questions.
filmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #5642
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmont View Post
Just though I'd post my experience on the up grade.
Congratulations on your "new" TiVo! Odd that it went through several reboots though, that's not normal. When you say "green screen" do you mean that the MFS Assert screen (often known as the GSOD) appeared? It looks like this...

http://i16.tinypic.com/4pwebmx.jpg

Or was it actually a green screen with no text?

The GSOD will generally appear when TiVo encounters data corruption of some nature. The program works to resolve the corruption and isolate any bad sectors on the hard drive (if they exist). Things should go normally but if you run into any issues going forward it might be wise to run a diagnostic on your new drive to be sure it doesn't have any problems.

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #5643
filmont

Yeah, it was the GSOD. I thought about pulling the plug on it, but I figured I'd let do its thing. It's my second Tivo so I didn't need it right away.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #5644
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmont View Post
Yeah, it was the GSOD. I thought about pulling the plug on it, but I figured I'd let do its thing. It's my second Tivo so I didn't need it right away.
Wise move...always avoid pulling the plug during a GSOD! Enjoy all of that new real estate!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #5645
filmont

Oh, I will! Just waiting for the warranty to end on my TivoHD and then that one is going to upgraded.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #5646
bubagump

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Recordings are actually striped across both drives, so there's really nothing native to one drive or the other but your TiVo will be reindexing everything (sans the recordings made after the eSATA drive was attached) so it could still take a little while, again depending on how many recordings you have.
It finally rebooted. Thanks Rich for your reply or I would have been pulling at all sorts of cables looking at that screen.
bubagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #5647
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubagump View Post
It finally rebooted. Thanks Rich for your reply or I would have been pulling at all sorts of cables looking at that screen.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #5648
brettatk
Thread Killer

I've upgraded several Tivos with WD drives and I've never adjusted the AAM. They have all been very quiet right out of the box.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #5649
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPnstrpSuit View Post
Quick questions, what's the maximum addressable drive I can mount?
It depends on which TiVo you're upgrading and how you perform the upgrade.

For the newest Tivos, the Premieres, the publicly avalible upgrade tool (WinMFS) doesn't support them yet. To upgrade one of them you'd need to buy a pre-imaged drive and I believe those are avalible up to 2 TB.

The S3 family (TiVo S3, TiVo HD, TiVo HD XL) have a partition size limitation that causes issues with the upgrade tools. (A single partition much bigger that 1 TB causes errors). So because of the way the public upgrade tools work the max workable drive size depends on which TiVo you started with. * With the TiVo HD you're basically stuck with a 1 TB drive using WinMFS.
(Note, there's a new upgrade technique for the TiVo HD using the "Broflovski image" that will allow you to get to 2 TB)
* With the TiVo HD XL you can use up to a 2 TB drive.

For the old S2 TiVos I'm not sure. They probably have the same partition limit as the S3 family, so I'd assume basically 1 TB or less.

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 04-23-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #5650
SugarBowl

I am going to convert a 500 gig windows drive that I have, into a Tivo drive for my series 3. Do i need to use windows disk management to first delete the windows partition? Then i will need to fix the tivo boot page? WinMfs says to guess for Option 1 or Option 2. Is there an 'educated' guess in my situation ?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #5651
JoeTaxpayer

I am looking at a Western Digital. It states "Advanced Format Hard Drive" and there are some warnings on New Egg's site where the 1GB drive is listed.
Anyone use one of these drives in their TiVo?
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #5652
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
I am looking at a Western Digital. It states "Advanced Format Hard Drive" and there are some warnings on New Egg's site where the 1GB drive is listed.
Anyone use one of these drives in their TiVo?
Can you please post a link to the specific drive (or at least a model number)?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #5653
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Can you please post a link to the specific drive (or at least a model number)?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...255&SID=137750

"Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive "

This is the link to WD's description of the formatting; http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/

Thanks, Rich.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #5654
richsadams

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...255&SID=137750

"Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive "

This is the link to WD's description of the formatting; http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/

Thanks, Rich.
Several members are successfully using that particular drive in their TiVo's.

The reference is to WD's new 4Kb sector technology which doesn't affect TiVo.

BTW you will need to run wdidle.exe to disable or extend the timeout of the Intellipark feature. (See Section IV, #29 of the faq).

Happy upgrading!

Last edited by richsadams : 04-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #5655
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
I am going to convert a 500 gig windows drive that I have, into a Tivo drive for my series 3. Do i need to use windows disk management to first delete the windows partition? Then i will need to fix the tivo boot page? WinMfs says to guess for Option 1 or Option 2. Is there an 'educated' guess in my situation ?
Turns out it didn't matter. Copying the original tivo drive to a windows drive (ntfs) set up everything on the new drive perfectly.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #5656
donnoh

Here's an update on using the "Broflovski" image for nearly a week now.

The Tivo appears to be working fine, it's starting to record suggestions, I've had no hangs and it upgraded to 11.0.g just fine including re-booting during the night.

One thing that I've noticed happen twice that I've never seen before is that I've turned my TV on twice now and the Tivo has been on the NPL. A press of the Tivo button or the Live TV button results in a bong sound. Pressing the left arrow takes me to Tivo central and everything is ok after that. I don't know if this a glitch somewhere in the image or just some anomaly. It is definitely something I can live with.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #5657
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
BTW you will need to run wdidle.exe to disable or extend the timeout of the Intellipark feature. (See Section IV, #29 of the faq).
Thanks - worst case, I can just pull plug to reboot. I'll remember to look through entire FAQ in the future.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #5658
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks - worst case, I can just pull plug to reboot. I'll remember to look through entire FAQ in the future.
I haven't used it, but everyone says the wdidle.exe program is very easy to run. If the Intellipark "feature" isn't disabled or extended it causes TiVo to hang at the "Welcome" screen after a soft reboot. About the only time you would notice it would be after TiVo pushes an update which usually happens about once per quarter or so. As you say you could always do a hard reboot, but again, it's apparently very easy and quick to do so if you have the drive connected to your PC, you might as well do it. Your call of course. Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #5659
ssolomo

HDDScan problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
Thanks to bkdtv for maintaining this great guide!

Some suggestions related to AAM in faq #31:

- It should mention that Hitachi Feature Tool doesn't support external drives connected via USB/firewire.

- An alternative tool worth mentioning is hddscan. This tool runs under windows and it does support some USB-connected drives.

http://hddscan.com/

My experience is that I have 2 different brands of external USB drives, buth using WD drives, and hddscan allowed me to change the AAM setting on both. Strangely is does not allow me to change features on my internal drives (an IDE Maxtor, and a SATA WD). HFT on the other hand does support my internal drives, but not the USB ones.
Interesting you say this as I just finished doing an MFScopy to my new WD 10EACS and the HDDScan isn't working (the two selections under the "features" menu are grayed out and cannot be selected - where the AAM setting is). I posted a question in their forum but it probably is because the drive is connected directly to the motherboard SATA controller. Really, even though it is sitting on top of a box connected to the computer, it is barely audible so I'm probably not going to mess with the Hitachi tool. The TiVo is in a cabinet (yes, ventilated) regardless.

Thanks to all for the great info on this forum.

Steven
A very happy household
ssolomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #5660
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
Thanks to bkdtv for maintaining this great guide!

Some suggestions related to AAM in faq #31:

- It should mention that Hitachi Feature Tool doesn't support external drives connected via USB/firewire.

- An alternative tool worth mentioning is hddscan. This tool runs under windows and it does support some USB-connected drives.

http://hddscan.com/
Hmmm. Section IV #31 of the FAQ actually discusses upgrading with 1.5TB and 2TB hard drives. Section IV, #32 of the FAQ disucsses changing hard drive AAM settings. Maybe you missed these parts?

Quote:
Note Hitachi Feature Tool only works on SATA and eSATA connected drives; it does not work on USB connected drives.
Quote:
The easiest way to change the AAM is to download and run the free Hddscan for Windows utility.
In any case, enjoy your upgrade!
Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #5661
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

SATA I or SATA II?

I've searched the upgrade FAQ and don't see any mention of whether the TiVo HD models use SATA I or SATA II drives. Looking at the original WD drive from my THD, it has a jumper block but the label mentions only adding a jumper to Power Up In Standby. Most SATA II drives include instructions for adding a jumper to limit the drive to SATA I speeds, where the application requires it. So far then, the original WD1600AVVS looks like a SATA I device. So...

Looking at WD's description of the WD1600AVVS I see that WD says only that it requires a SATA connection. Clicking the WD Interface Guide link, takes you to a page that says that SATA drives have a 150 or 300 Mbps data rate. No help there as they don't distinguish SATA I from II.

Of course, even if the WD1600AVVS is a SATA I device, that does not necessarily mean that THD cannot handle SATA II drives; its controller may in fact be SATA II.

The bottom line is this: should an upgrade SATA II drive put into a THD have the jumper installed limiting it to SATA I speeds? It would be handy if the FAQ mentioned this.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #5662
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
The bottom line is this: should an upgrade SATA II drive put into a THD have the jumper installed limiting it to SATA I speeds? It would be handy if the FAQ mentioned this.
The simple answer would be no. (I think you'd be hard pressed to find a computer that requires a "throttle down" to 1.5Gb/s data throughput these days.)

Stick with any of the recommended drives on the FAQ, follow the upgrade directions to the letter and you'll be good to go. Happy upgrading!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #5663
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Stick with any of the recommended drives on the FAQ, follow the upgrade directions to the letter and you'll be good to go.
The FAQ itself is for Series 3 DVRs. My sister has failing drives in her Series 2 DVR. Will the same SATA drives recommended for Series 3 boxes work in the Series 2 boxes (with a PATA to SATA adapter, of course)?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #5664
jlib
Lean Forward

Marconi, don't worry about the SATA revisions. TiVos are backwards compatible. And yes, all the drives used in TiVos since the S3 are SATA 3Gb/s (including the WD1600AVVS) but it would make no difference performance-wise since no hard drives (save some of the new solid state drives) can even saturate the 1.5Gb/s bus.

http://www.serialata.org/developers/...guidelines.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_...TA_II_misnomer
Old 04-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #5665
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
I've searched the upgrade FAQ and don't see any mention of whether the TiVo HD models use SATA I or SATA II drives. Looking at the original WD drive from my THD, it has a jumper block but the label mentions only adding a jumper to Power Up In Standby. Most SATA II drives include instructions for adding a jumper to limit the drive to SATA I speeds, where the application requires it. So far then, the original WD1600AVVS looks like a SATA I device. So...

Looking at WD's description of the WD1600AVVS I see that WD says only that it requires a SATA connection. Clicking the WD Interface Guide link, takes you to a page that says that SATA drives have a 150 or 300 Mbps data rate. No help there as they don't distinguish SATA I from II.

Of course, even if the WD1600AVVS is a SATA I device, that does not necessarily mean that THD cannot handle SATA II drives; its controller may in fact be SATA II.

Well, the WD spec does show SATA II for the WD1600AVVS...

Performance Specifications
Rotational Speed IntelliPower *
Buffer Size 8 MB
Transfer Rates
Buffer To Host (Serial ATA) 3 Gb/s (Max)
Physical Specifications
Formatted Capacity 160,041 MB
Capacity 160 GB
Interface SATA 3 Gb/s
User Sectors Per Drive 312,581,808
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #5666
jppowers

Unable to PM

As I have not posted the resiquite 5 times, I can not use the PM feature. Is there another way to obtain the image?

Joe P
jppowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #5667
rxrepli

WD20EVDS Drive Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrepli View Post
Mr. Broflovski's image booted up flawlessly! The WD20EVDS drive has a March 2010 build date.

A few pages back, bkdtv had asked if someone could test and confirm if the WD drives are compatible with the new software so I did not run wdidle3 before installing the drive. The 11.0g software update arrived Monday Night.

I regrettably need to report that even with the 11.0g software, the WD drive hangs upon restart. I will need to disable IntelliPark.
Today I was preparing to open the TiVo and remove the drive so I could run wdidle3 /S300. Since I was not looking forward to disconnecting everything, I thought it would be best to try doing a soft reboot just to see if the TiVo now running the 11.0g software for a week had magically fixed itself.

To my surprise, the TiVo rebooted normally! It DID NOT hang upon restart. To be sure this was not an anomaly, I did a menu restart a second time, and again the TiVo restarted normally. Before sharing this news I did a third menu restart, and as twice before it did not hang and restarted perfectly.

At this time I might be the only person who did not run wdidle3 before installing the WD20EVDS drive with the IntelliPark fully enabled. Based on this experience, I believe the Western Digital "Green" drives are fully compatible with the TiVoHD after it receives the 11.0g software update.

Maybe when others can replicate my findings, bkdtv can update the FAQ to reflect this.

To those who want to use the WD drives, I hope this makes you more comfortable. To bkdtv thank you for all your efforts here, to richsadams thank you for all of your support, and to spike thank you for WinMFS.

Now off to enjoy my Supersized TiVo!
rxrepli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #5668
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppowers View Post
As I have not posted the resiquite 5 times, I can not use the PM feature. Is there another way to obtain the image?P
Hi Joe and welcome to the forum. Which image are you looking for?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #5669
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrepli View Post
Today I was preparing to open the TiVo and remove the drive so I could run wdidle3 /S300. Since I was not looking forward to disconnecting everything, I thought it would be best to try doing a soft reboot just to see if the TiVo now running the 11.0g software for a week had magically fixed itself.

To my surprise, the TiVo rebooted normally! It DID NOT hang upon restart. To be sure this was not an anomaly, I did a menu restart a second time, and again the TiVo restarted normally. Before sharing this news I did a third menu restart, and as twice before it did not hang and restarted perfectly.

At this time I might be the only person who did not run wdidle3 before installing the WD20EVDS drive with the IntelliPark fully enabled. Based on this experience, I believe the Western Digital "Green" drives are fully compatible with the TiVoHD after it receives the 11.0g software update.

Maybe when others can replicate my findings, bkdtv can update the FAQ to reflect this.

To those who want to use the WD drives, I hope this makes you more comfortable. To bkdtv thank you for all your efforts here, to richsadams thank you for all of your support, and to spike thank you for WinMFS.

Now off to enjoy my Supersized TiVo!
Congrats on your upgrade! Unfortunately a few others have tried upgrading using WD GP drives w/o disabling the Intellipark feature (after receiving v11.0g) and were not successful...they still had the soft reboot problem. So a blanket recommendation wouldn't be prudent at this point.

However AFAIK you're the first to try it with a 2TB drive, so the drive itself may have something to do with it, the "hacked" 2TB image or something else, it's hard to tell. Did you happen to keep track of your drive's manufacture date? It's possible WD themselves have done something to remedy the situation making newer drives compatible (w/o any tweaking) again.

Hopefully some more pioneers will give some of the newest WD 1TB (and larger) hard drives a try before disabling Intellipark to see if v11.0g has any effect on the soft reboot issue or if it's just 2TB drives (or the 2TB image).

Thanks very much for the valuable info. Now go enjoy your "new/supersized" TiVo!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #5670
rxrepli

Quote:
Congrats on your upgrade! Unfortunately a few others have tried upgrading using WD GP drives w/o disabling the Intellipark feature (after receiving v11.0g) and were not successful...they still had the soft reboot problem. So a blanket recommendation wouldn't be prudent at this point.

However AFAIK you're the first to try it with a 2TB drive, so the drive itself may have something to do with it, the "hacked" 2TB image or something else, it's hard to tell. Did you happen to keep track of your drive's manufacture date? It's possible WD themselves have done something to remedy the situation making newer drives compatible (w/o any tweaking) again.

Hopefully some more pioneers will give some of the newest WD 1TB (and larger) hard drives a try before disabling Intellipark to see if v11.0g has any effect on the soft reboot issue or if it's just 2TB drives (or the 2TB image).

Thanks very much for the valuable info. Now go enjoy your "new/supersized" TiVo!
Rich,

Going into this I thought I would need to run IntelliPark so I did not write down any specific drive information before putting the TiVo back together. However, I did make note of the build date, March 2010. Thanks again.
rxrepli is offline   Reply With Quote