Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #5611
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhaas33 View Post
2tb WD drives coming down now too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&SID=FW8t6x1e

Don't really know if this particular model will work with TIVO

Oops, looks like it will not work out of the box....
That info appears to be outdated. There were concerns when the drives came out a couple of months ago, but a number of folks here are successfully using EARS model drives in their TiVo's now (you can do a search for some testimonies). The 4Kb sector issue apparently has no affect (on TiVo).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #5612
RayChuang88

I wonder does WD has any plans for a 2 TB version of My DVR Expander? Imagine adding in up to 300 MORE hours of HD video storage.

TiVo HD XL (153 hours HD)
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #5613
alyssa

I don't think I'd trust anything with the "my" in it.
We had a couple of mybooks which failed within a year or two.
Isn't there a thread about the huge failure rate of the MyDVR's?
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #5614
jadziedzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post
Imagine adding in up to 300 MORE hours of HD video storage.
Imagine losing all your recordings when the 2Tb MyDVR Expander goes belly up.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #5615
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
Imagine losing all your recordings when the 2Tb MyDVR Expander goes belly up.
Imagine one day needing more than 640K.

Oh wait, wrong technology discussion, my bad.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #5616
donnoh

I bought a 500GB MyTivo expander about 2 years ago. I retired it to my home built WHS box about a year and a half ago and it's been fine ever since.

In a different life it's been ok.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #5617
RayChuang88

I'm still hoping that we'll see external eSATA 1 TB and 2 TB drives from Hitachi and Seagate that will work easily with either the TiVo S3 or Premiere DVR's.

Mind you, I think within three years we may have eSATA 1 TB and 2 TB solid state drives that will work with a TiVo box.

TiVo HD XL (153 hours HD)
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #5618
reversengineer

HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB

I just caught this HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K (0S00163) 1TB HDD for $70 from NewEgg last week and performed the drive swap described at the top of this post. All went well, and my upgraded TIVO HD is operating flawlessly. It took about 2 hours for the copy process considering all the recordings I had on the original drive. Just be patient. I had the new drive connected via USB to SATA converter, and I hooked the original TIVO drive straight to my computer's motherboard and PSU.

Just to be sure (for now), here is the newegg item number to the exact drive I got:
Item=N82E16822145287
reversengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #5619
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post
I'm still hoping that we'll see external eSATA 1 TB and 2 TB drives from Hitachi and Seagate that will work easily with either the TiVo S3 or Premiere DVR's.

Mind you, I think within three years we may have eSATA 1 TB and 2 TB solid state drives that will work with a TiVo box.
And how long did you say that you could hold your breath?

FWIW the ability to add a Seagate or Hitachi or most any other 1TB eSATA HDD drive to a Series3 via P&P has been available for several years now.

Last edited by richsadams : 04-19-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: tyop...d'oh!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #5620
kdzenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
I am in the beginning stages of looking for a hard drive to put in my TiVoHD. I am pretty set on buying the Hitachi Deskstar drive that is recommended in these pages. However, when I look around I see two different Hitachi models. Does anyone know the difference between:

Hitachi Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K and Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C

Which is the preferred drive? I have seen both models recommended. I think the IDK/7K is the one currently on sale (only at Newegg).

I am leaning toward the Hitachi, since it seems like it would be easier to run the AAM software than to disable the Intellipark settings on the WD drives. I would rather have a bit extra noise from the hard drive (that could possibly be quieted), than not have the drive work properly due to Intellipark. I am not experienced at all with the features of widdle or AAM, but I can follow basic technical directions. So I am guessing it is easier to buy a Hitachi and quiet the drive, rather than buy a WD and run widdle. Also, it seems more people come here and say how they messed up running widdle on a WD than messed up using AAM on the Hitachi. Am I correct in my thinking?
I purchased the 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 from Newegg, just before the HD310000 sale was announced. I don't recall a significant price difference at the time. I do NOT know if they are really the same drive or not. I chose the 7K1000.C because I read a post somewhere that said the new C class Jupiter drives were significantly quieter than the B Class. Could be true, could be hearsay. My drive is very quiet!!! Easily the equal of my original 250GB WD in the Series 3. Very easy install, very easy to turn the AAM down using HDD Scan 3.2. I would buy again without hesitation.

As for Newegg, my drive arrived completely bubblewrapped with foam peanuts to fill the rest of the box. Could not have been wrapped better. On the other hand, I have previously experienced very poor packing on a Newegg HDD shipment - so inconsistent - or maybe they finally got the message to do a better job!!
kdzenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #5621
dgarrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
So far two members have successfully upgraded their TiVo HD's with the WD10EARS drives:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23#post7720023

The first member followed up about a week later saying that all is well.

It's been more than a month and we'd probably hear about any issues they had, but perhaps they will confirm things are still good?
OK, three months later and NO problems with the WD10EARS internal expansion drive in my TiVo unit. Use it every night and record many shows per day.

Now if I can figure out a way to mass-delete the 1500+ shows in my Recently Deleted folder!?! [I know, I know, just ignore them and they will eventually go away]
dgarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #5622
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrick View Post
Now if I can figure out a way to mass-delete the 1500+ shows in my Recently Deleted folder!?! [I know, I know, just ignore them and they will eventually go away]
Make one really long recording; then delete it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #5623
jjberger2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzenith View Post
I purchased the 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 from Newegg, just before the HD310000 sale was announced. I don't recall a significant price difference at the time. I do NOT know if they are really the same drive or not. I chose the 7K1000.C because I read a post somewhere that said the new C class Jupiter drives were significantly quieter than the B Class. Could be true, could be hearsay. My drive is very quiet!!! Easily the equal of my original 250GB WD in the Series 3. Very easy install, very easy to turn the AAM down using HDD Scan 3.2. I would buy again without hesitation.

As for Newegg, my drive arrived completely bubblewrapped with foam peanuts to fill the rest of the box. Could not have been wrapped better. On the other hand, I have previously experienced very poor packing on a Newegg HDD shipment - so inconsistent - or maybe they finally got the message to do a better job!!
That is good to know. Thanks. I am partial to Amazon for some reason, and I think I will wait a bit to see if the Hitachi drive goes on sale there or if I can get it locally. From the reading that I have done, it seems easier to run the AAM software (download and run) than widdle (download, burn, change BIOS boot to CD, etc). Am I correct? I want the easier and least technical solution possible.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #5624
rxrepli

TiVoHD 2TB Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrepli View Post
Using WinMFS to do the upgrade appeared to have run smoothly and Mfsinfo reports the following:
Total SA SD Hours: 2083 Total DTV SD Hours: 1818 100 % Free
Software: 11.0d-01-2-652 Tivo Model: not set in MFS

When I attempted MfsSupersize, I did receive the following message, “Sorry! MfsSupersize failed!”

I’ll report any additional learning’s I can share.
Mr. Broflovski's image booted up flawlessly! The WD20EVDS drive has a March 2010 build date.

A few pages back, bkdtv had asked if someone could test and confirm if the WD drives are compatible with the new software so I did not run wdidle3 before installing the drive. The 11.0g software update arrived Monday Night.

I regrettably need to report that even with the 11.0g software, the WD drive hangs upon restart. I will need to disable IntelliPark.

Last edited by rxrepli : 04-20-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Drive Model
rxrepli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #5625
dgarrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Well you may be saying that in jest but that's the best advice I've heard so far on how to empty the Recently Deleted folder!
dgarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #5626
donnoh

Quote:
Mr. Broflovski's image booted up flawlessly! The WD20EVDS drive has a March 2010 build date.

A few pages back, bkdtv had asked if someone could test and confirm if the WD drives are compatible with the new software so I did not run wdidle3 before installing the drive. The 11.0g software update arrived Monday Night.

I regrettably need to report that even with the 11.0g software, the WD drive hangs upon restart. I will need to disable IntelliPark.
My WD drive works flawlessly after the upgrade, but I did run the wdidle3 change on it.

I really don't see what the big deal is with running wdidle3 on a drive as having to change the AAM? The WD A/V drives are super quiet so it's a choice of having to change the intellipark feature opposed to changing the AAM.

Both drives should be on the recommended list in my opinion.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #5627
rxrepli

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
My WD drive works flawlessly after the upgrade, but I did run the wdidle3 change on it.

I really don't see what the big deal is with running wdidle3 on a drive as having to change the AAM? The WD A/V drives are super quiet so it's a choice of having to change the intellipark feature opposed to changing the AAM.

Both drives should be on the recommended list in my opinion.
I expect that my drive will work exactly as yours after running wdidle3 and I agree that this drive should be on the recommended list. It is incredibly quiet and perfect for a bedroom based TiVo.

There is no big deal in running wdidle3 or AAM, except in my case I can't run wdidle3 on a Mac Pro. I believe most want the recommended drives to be somewhat Plug-n-Play, like the older WD A/V drives were before IntelliPark.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #5628
RickyY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
You can go to the "Deleted Folder" and pernamently delete each one (by selecting each one and hitting the clear button). One at a time if it bothers you that much.
RickyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #5629
RickyY

Quote:

Wow, I was hoping that I wouldn' thave to worry about wdidle3 once I get the 11.0g upgrade. Guess, it will be better to be safe and do everything at once (wididle3 and adjusting aam) before putting the new HD back in the tivo.
RickyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #5630
wood252ota

After reading all this, it looks like a WD10EVDS is ok to put in an HD as long as you run the wdidle3 fix ? Also do you really need to adjust the aam on this drive ? I thought it was quiet already. Thanks
wood252ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #5631
farlz00

Time it takes to "clear and delete everything"

Hello All,
I should have read more into this before doing my upgrade, I had to replace my TivoHD with another and decided to try to take the original stock tivo out and upgrade to a 1TB on the new tivohd. Got the hardware error. How long does it take to "clear and delete everything" on a 1TB drive w/no recordings? Would I be better off just re-doing the upgrade with MFStools with the stock drive of the new tivo? I was aiming to save my season passes going from old tivo to new tivo, but that doesn't seem possible.
Thanks!
farlz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #5632
bubagump

Hi,
I have a TivoHD with an upgraded internal 1TB drive. I just removed an external 1TB eSATA drive from this tivo and it went through the whole press clear and press thumbs down three times to remove the drive. Now the screen says "removing external drive. This may take a while......" It has been at this screen for a while now (30 mins). Is this normal? Any suggestions?
thanks
bubagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #5633
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubagump View Post
Hi,
I have a TivoHD with an upgraded internal 1TB drive. I just removed an external 1TB eSATA drive from this tivo and it went through the whole press clear and press thumbs down three times to remove the drive. Now the screen says "removing external drive. This may take a while......" It has been at this screen for a while now (30 mins). Is this normal? Any suggestions?
thanks
Very normal...it all depends on how many recordings have been made since the eSATA drive was attached. It could easily take several hours if it's near capacity. My only suggestion would be to let it do its thing and do NOT unplug anything in the meantime. IIRC it will reboot once all is said and done.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #5634
rxrepli

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood252ota View Post
After reading all this, it looks like a WD10EVDS is ok to put in an HD as long as you run the wdidle3 fix ? Also do you really need to adjust the aam on this drive ? I thought it was quiet already. Thanks
From my experience, I believe the WD10EVDS will operate correctly in a TiVo HD after wdidle3 has been run. Personally, I do not see the need for AAM. This drive is quiet enough for me not to notice unacceptable noise in a bedroom.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #5635
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlz00 View Post
Hello All,
I should have read more into this before doing my upgrade, I had to replace my TivoHD with another and decided to try to take the original stock tivo out and upgrade to a 1TB on the new tivohd. Got the hardware error. How long does it take to "clear and delete everything" on a 1TB drive w/no recordings? Would I be better off just re-doing the upgrade with MFStools with the stock drive of the new tivo? I was aiming to save my season passes going from old tivo to new tivo, but that doesn't seem possible.
Thanks!
AFAIK using the new TiVo HD image to upgrade is about the only choice you have. If you ever need to replace it again (that is, substitute one TiVo for another on the same account) you can subscribe to KidZone or TiVo Guru Guides and your Season Passes and Wish Lists will eventually be repopulated on the new box.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #5636
bubagump

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Very normal...it all depends on how many recordings have been made since the eSATA drive was attached. It could easily take several hours if it's near capacity. My only suggestion would be to let it do its thing and do NOT unplug anything in the meantime. IIRC it will reboot once all is said and done.
Great. Thanks for the reassurance! There were really no recordings on the external drive. I was just experimenting with adding an external drive. I hope it will reboot soon..
bubagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #5637
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood252ota View Post
It'll work fine. WD GP drives are very quiet out of the box and the EVDS is an A/V dedicated drive (24 dBA - 25 dBA) so as rxrepli mentioned, you shouldn't need to make any AAM adjustments.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #5638
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyY View Post
You can go to the "Deleted Folder" and pernamently delete each one (by selecting each one and hitting the clear button). One at a time if it bothers you that much.
With the TiVo HD you can hit the "clear" button rapidly and it will queue it. So you can easily delete a screen's worth of programs (you need to start at the top of the screen). This behavior improved from how the DirecTiVo made you wait for each deletion to finish. I never delete from within the "Deleted" folder, so I don't know if this hint works in that (perhaps special) folder.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #5639
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubagump View Post
Great. Thanks for the reassurance! There were really no recordings on the external drive. I was just experimenting with adding an external drive. I hope it will reboot soon..
Recordings are actually striped across both drives, so there's really nothing native to one drive or the other but your TiVo will be reindexing everything (sans the recordings made after the eSATA drive was attached) so it could still take a little while, again depending on how many recordings you have.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #5640
MrPnstrpSuit

Quick questions, what's the maximum addressable drive I can mount?
MrPnstrpSuit is offline   Reply With Quote