TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #5581
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Yeah...we used to have to trudge miles through three feet of snow to get to school, uphill...both ways!
I remember when we had to hand crank computers, and they had wooden drive platters that sometimes caught fire, and, and...
Old 04-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #5582
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
I remember when we had to hand crank computers, and they had wooden drive platters that sometimes caught fire, and, and...
ROFLMAO!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #5583
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I didn't know that Apples ever had 8" drives.
I do remember the 8" floppies though, there were the "hard" sector types with holes all along the inside ring and the new "soft" sector types with just one hole.
It's been nice growing up with computers, the new generation just doesn't know how easy they have it.
What, you mean like these?

8inch1t.bmp

Yes, these are new-in-the-box still in the shrinkwrap 8" DS-DD disks. Yes, there are two boxes there.

I bought these about 2 weeks ago. My neighbor (that I didn't know was also a geek) was moving and had them out at a garage sale. He also had a dual floppy Mac SE along with several 286 clones and a real IBM PC-XT with a 20MB Seagate MFM Hard Drive and single 360k 5.25" floppy,
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #5584
HazelW

I remember when I bought my first floppy drive for my Atari 400, upgrading from cassette tape. The guy asked me if I wanted a box of five 88 Kb floppy disks. I told him I only needed one with all that storage--I thought he was trying to rip me off by trying to sell me 5!
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #5585
reubanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
My first HDD was a HUGE 20MB Seagate for $495! I still have it for my original IBM PC!
Yeah, mine was a 10MB Micropolis full height. I used a Western Digital 1007 RLL controller to boost it to 15MB. WOO HOO!

Just in case y'all don't remember, the original IBM PC (5 slot) would NOT support a hard drive unless you had a special controller card and even then you needed to boot from a floppy to load the drivers. This was corrected in the XT (8 slot) and later PCs after an upgraded BIOS was developed. The original BIOS was not extensible.

Randy
(too geek to speak)
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...

Last edited by reubanks : 04-16-2010 at 12:24 AM.
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #5586
MPSAN

Quote:
I didn't know that Apples ever had 8" drives.
I do remember the 8" floppies though, there were the "hard" sector types with holes all along the inside ring and the new "soft" sector types with just one hole.
It's been nice growing up with computers, the new generation just doesn't know how easy they have it.
Yes, I had (have) a Vista Controller and I had 2 Shugart 8" soft sector floppy drives attached.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #5587
donnoh

Quote:
Yeah...we used to have to trudge miles through three feet of snow to get to school, uphill...both ways!
Did you live in Germany in the 60's too?
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #5588
kdzenith

A huge thank you to bkdtv and the Tivo Community! My original S3 HDD crashed and burned without a backup! With all the help here and a new Hitachi HDD from Newegg I have successfully brought my S3 lifetime back to life! Could not have accomplished it without all your help! Fabulous!
kdzenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #5589
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzenith View Post
A huge thank you to bkdtv and the Tivo Community! My original S3 HDD crashed and burned without a backup! With all the help here and a new Hitachi HDD from Newegg I have successfully brought my S3 lifetime back to life! Could not have accomplished it without all your help! Fabulous!
Isn't this a great site! I've scheduled this weekend to do a 2 TB upgrade to my Tivo HD thanks to these fine people.
It is such a blessing to find people that devote their lives to making the Tivo experience better for the rest of us.
I can't wait to try Mr B's image.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #5590
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzenith View Post
What is with so many people here from the Portland area? I guess we just can't leave well enough alone!

Anyway, I have just sold my 2nd of 3 ReplayTV's. I have had 3 THD's for 8 months now and your "S3 HDD crashed" post prompted me to ask a question I have been wondering about for Months...

My ReplayTV units were installed, plugged in, and left alone for 5+ years...and still work. So what is TiVo doing, besides having 2 tuners that causes them to eat HDD's?
Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #5591
MPSAN

Quote:
Isn't this a great site! I've scheduled this weekend to do a 2 TB upgrade to my Tivo HD thanks to these fine people.
It is such a blessing to find people that devote their lives to making the Tivo experience better for the rest of us.
I can't wait to try Mr B's image.
Let us know how it goes. Frys had a 2TB drive for $125 today! I assume that the Image will not allow you to save shows...I guess it is treated as a truncated backup. I believe it will need to be cleared after it comes up. I have the Image and put it on a DVD, but wonder how you do. Will you use an Apple ][+ to do this?

Actually, I wonder about this as 2TB drives are getting inexpensive now. Still, the 2nd one I want to update (maybe) is in our bedroom so it just has to be no louder than the stock 160GB drive in it now.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #5592
lrhorer

Quote:
Barefoot, with a 90 lb backpack!
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #5593
lrhorer

Quote:
My ReplayTV units were installed, plugged in, and left alone for 5+ years...and still work. So what is TiVo doing, besides having 2 tuners that causes them to eat HDD's?
Well, I'm not so sure they are, really. People are going to tend to post when they have a drive problem. The majority of people who don't have any problems are going to remain silent. That said, bit densities are getting higher and higher, meaning the magnetic domains are smaller and smaller. This is going to make errors more common. Most are recoverable, but inevitably some will not be, and the rate of unrecoverable errors is going to tend to rise with an overall error rate increase. Secondly, two tuners does place a much higher load on the drive than one tuner. Every time the cache is flushed for one of the streams, it's going to force a seek to what will probably be a very different part of the disk. Thus, rather than more or less smoothly skating across the platters (incremental seeks), the heads are going to chatter continuously like a busybody's teeth in a gossiping contest. This puts a much heavier load on the head servo and the electronics that control it. Finally, the seek rate for HD content is going to be easily six times higher than for SD content.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #5594
cjv2

Quote:
If you play the Tivo backwards it says "cooookie, nom nom nom."
Old 04-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #5595
donnoh

Smile 2TB Tivo HD thanks to Mr. Broflovski!

Well my new 2TB WD20EVDS showed up early yesterday evening and I couldn't wait to install it. Here's how it went.

Ran wdidle3 to change the intellipark time to 300 seconds - no problems

Installed the image - at least I thought I did, more about that later.

Installed the new drive in the Tivo - twice, (I put it in backwards the first time), put it back in entertainment center, power it up and nada, zip, I get the gray screen right after it powers up.

I pull it back out, crack open the case and discover that it would work better if I would have actually plugged in the drive.

Re-install the Tivo, power it up and it comes up like a new Tivo, I run guided setup and wait for it to download the program data.

Go to the system info screen to behold the 318 hours of HD storage and what do I see? Up to 20 whopping hours of storage space...*(^R%$#!

Take the Tivo back out, re-install the image and this time I check the estimated number of hours and it looks to be correct this time. I'm really not sure what I did wrong the first time.

Re-install the drive back in the Tivo, put it back in the entertainment center and power it up. Once again the gray screen, my dumb arse forgot to plug in the drive a second time! What an idiot.

Correct my mistake, re-install the Tivo, power it up, run guided setup and FINALLY see the 318 hours of HD programming space!!!

The one thing that I didn't expect to see work though was my Cable Card. I assume that Charter doesn't pair the cards to the device in my area. This was an unexpected surprise to not have to deal with one of their phone reps.

Overall it went well if you throw out my stupidity. I didn't have to do a C&D everything, it just came up like a new Tivo. The only real pain was re-entering 60 season passes over again and putting in my 20 digit WPA security code.

Thank you Mr. Broflovski!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #5596
justen_m

Quote:
Overall it went well if you throw out my stupidity. I didn't have to do a C&D everything, it just came up like a new Tivo. The only real pain was re-entering 60 season passes over again and putting in my 20 digit WPA security code.
Thanks for the laugh this morning. But, I am with you on the season pass thing. The only reason I have two Tivos is because I am way too lazy to move over 100 season passes from my S2DT to my TivoHD. Heck, I'd buy a Premiere if it let me manage season passes on a single machine.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #5597
jjberger2134

I am in the beginning stages of looking for a hard drive to put in my TiVoHD. I am pretty set on buying the Hitachi Deskstar drive that is recommended in these pages. However, when I look around I see two different Hitachi models. Does anyone know the difference between:

Hitachi Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K and Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C

Which is the preferred drive? I have seen both models recommended. I think the IDK/7K is the one currently on sale (only at Newegg).

I am leaning toward the Hitachi, since it seems like it would be easier to run the AAM software than to disable the Intellipark settings on the WD drives. I would rather have a bit extra noise from the hard drive (that could possibly be quieted), than not have the drive work properly due to Intellipark. I am not experienced at all with the features of widdle or AAM, but I can follow basic technical directions. So I am guessing it is easier to buy a Hitachi and quiet the drive, rather than buy a WD and run widdle. Also, it seems more people come here and say how they messed up running widdle on a WD than messed up using AAM on the Hitachi. Am I correct in my thinking?
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10

Last edited by jjberger2134 : 04-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #5598
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
I am in the beginning stages of looking for a hard drive to put in my TiVoHD. I am pretty set on buying the Hitachi Deskstar drive that is recommended in these pages. However, when I look around I see two different Hitachi models. Does anyone know the difference between:

Hitachi Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K and Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C

Which is the preferred drive? I have seen both models recommended. I think the IDK/7K is the one currently on sale (only at Newegg).

I am leaning toward the Hitachi, since it seems like it would be easier to run the AAM software than to disable the Intellipark settings on the WD drives. I would rather have a bit extra noise from the hard drive (that could possibly be quieted), than not have the drive work properly due to Intellipark. I am not experienced at all with the features of widdle or AAM, but I can follow basic technical directions. So I am guessing it is easier to buy a Hitachi and quiet the drive, rather than buy a WD and run widdle. Also, it seems more people come here and say how they messed up running widdle on a WD than messed up using AAM on the Hitachi. Am I correct in my thinking?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the two Hitachi's are pretty much the same drive. I have one in my other Tivo and it's been chugging along for about a year and a half with no problems. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one. I would steer clear of NewEgg for hard drives unless you get one in a retail package, their packaging almost guarantees a bad or short lived drive... I know from experience. I buy all my drives from Amazon and they have great protective packaging for OEM drives.

As far as disabling intellipark on WD drives if you can burn a CD it's pretty much a no brainer. You connect the drive to a SATA cable on the PC and boot to the CD which brings up DOS prompt, type the command and it does it's thing.

My personal preferences lead me to the WD A/V line of drives mainly because they are almost silent and also are made for DVRs, if that really means anything, but I've convinced myself it does.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #5599
eaayoung

Pardon me in advance for this off topic question. But I know this thread will answer my question...

The HD in my iMac 24" is dying. I already tried to re-format but still getting errors and it won't boot sometimes. Has anyone on this thread replaced the HD in their iMac? How hard was it? Seems fairly straight forward from the U Tube videos I've watched.

Any recommendations on which drive to use? The current HD is a 500 gig WD model. Quiet and fast. Was thinking to use a similar drive. But which one... Maybe the black models.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #5600
Mchero
Almost old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Barefoot, with a 90 lb backpack!
Uphill both ways!

2 HD Tivo's with Comcast cable cards.
Sony Wega 50" LCD
Mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #5601
emerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Maybe the black models.
My advice, stay away from the Black model if you are noise sensative. I installed a 2T Caviar Black in my PC. It was so noisy I couldn't stand it. No way to adjust a AAM either. I would up replacing it with a Hitachi.

The Black models are super fast but the downside is the noise.
emerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #5602
rxrepli

TiVoHD 2TB Image

I have just completed imaging a WD20EVDS with the 2TB Image Mr. Broflovski has generously made available to us. I have not installed it yet, but I wanted to share my thanks and appreciation to all in this community that make the TiVo experience even better!

Using WinMFS to do the upgrade appeared to have run smoothly and Mfsinfo reports the following:
Total SA SD Hours: 2083 Total DTV SD Hours: 1818 100 % Free
Software: 11.0d-01-2-652 Tivo Model: not set in MFS

When I attempted MfsSupersize, I did receive the following message, “Sorry! MfsSupersize failed!”

After I complete the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics extended test and I get the opportunity to install the drive into the TiVo, I’ll report any additional learning’s I can share.
rxrepli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #5603
MPSAN

Quote:
Well my new 2TB WD20EVDS showed up early yesterday evening and I couldn't wait to install it. Here's how it went.

Ran wdidle3 to change the intellipark time to 300 seconds - no problems

Installed the image - at least I thought I did, more about that later.

Installed the new drive in the Tivo - twice, (I put it in backwards the first time), put it back in entertainment center, power it up and nada, zip, I get the gray screen right after it powers up.

I pull it back out, crack open the case and discover that it would work better if I would have actually plugged in the drive.

Re-install the Tivo, power it up and it comes up like a new Tivo, I run guided setup and wait for it to download the program data.

Go to the system info screen to behold the 318 hours of HD storage and what do I see? Up to 20 whopping hours of storage space...*(^R%$#!

Take the Tivo back out, re-install the image and this time I check the estimated number of hours and it looks to be correct this time. I'm really not sure what I did wrong the first time.

Re-install the drive back in the Tivo, put it back in the entertainment center and power it up. Once again the gray screen, my dumb arse forgot to plug in the drive a second time! What an idiot.

Correct my mistake, re-install the Tivo, power it up, run guided setup and FINALLY see the 318 hours of HD programming space!!!

The one thing that I didn't expect to see work though was my Cable Card. I assume that Charter doesn't pair the cards to the device in my area. This was an unexpected surprise to not have to deal with one of their phone reps.

Thank you Mr. Broflovski!
Did it get 11.0g yet? What version does it show?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #5604
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
If you play the Tivo backwards it says "cooookie, nom nom nom."
OH...I will have to try that the next time I open 1 up to upgrade!
Old 04-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #5605
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, I'm not so sure they are, really. People are going to tend to post when they have a drive problem. The majority of people who don't have any problems are going to remain silent. That said, bit densities are getting higher and higher, meaning the magnetic domains are smaller and smaller. This is going to make errors more common. Most are recoverable, but inevitably some will not be, and the rate of unrecoverable errors is going to tend to rise with an overall error rate increase. Secondly, two tuners does place a much higher load on the drive than one tuner. Every time the cache is flushed for one of the streams, it's going to force a seek to what will probably be a very different part of the disk. Thus, rather than more or less smoothly skating across the platters (incremental seeks), the heads are going to chatter continuously like a busybody's teeth in a gossiping contest. This puts a much heavier load on the head servo and the electronics that control it. Finally, the seek rate for HD content is going to be easily six times higher than for SD content.
Well, so much has gone on between even the IDE133 and the SATA drives of today. With embedded servos, Perpendicular recording and MANY other things like advanced head tech, high track and bit density they are improved...along with MTBF. They all run cooler as well, with fewer platters and single bearings!

Anyway, there are so many things that could be done. One cool thing would be to have the OS/Firmware of the THD in a type of EEPROM. It could be updated but TV and the buffer would still, of course go to the DASD. Then if there were a bad sector...so what. It would be a glitch during playback. Also, this bad sector could be mapped out and not used again. I am not sure it would even cost much to do this.

Also, it would be fun to try a SATA SSD for a real silent Bedroom THD! While I was working I would have taken one home by now to try!

Anyway, I am sure this is way OT!
Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #5606
donnoh

Quote:
Did it get 11.0g yet? What version does it show?
It's got a pending restart, I assume to install the .g revision, it currently has 11.0.d. I'm holding off on the re-start until it finishes transfering a few programs from my other Tivo.

I'll report back if it goes ok, but I assume it will based on a post reported earlier by another member that upgraded his HD to this same image and got the .g image with no problems.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #5607
MPSAN

Quote:
It's got a pending restart, I assume to install the .g revision, it currently has 11.0.d. I'm holding off on the re-start until it finishes transfering a few programs from my other Tivo.

I'll report back if it goes ok, but I assume it will based on a post reported earlier by another member that upgraded his HD to this same image and got the .g image with no problems.
Yup, that must be the update.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #5608
donnoh

I checked my Tivo this morning and it sucessfully installed the 11.0g software release with no problems on the Mr. Broflovski image. So far so good.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #5609
wolf rayet

Big Grin S3 external up grade thanks

Hi All,
Just wanted to share my external hard drive up grade experience. I picked up a remanufactured S3 from Woot last month for $175.00 and wanted to bring up the 30hrs HD storage to something a little more respectable. So I picked up a 1Tb Hitachi Deskstar Model# E7K1000 and a Sabrent eSATA hard drive enclosure with fan, slipped the drive into the enclosure connected it to my S3and followed the instructions spelled out on this forum. All is working well, I went from 30hrs HD to 178hrs in a matter of a few minuets. To finish a BIG THANKS! for all the helpful people in this community, AGAIN THANKS!
wolf rayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #5610
nickhaas33

2tb WD drives coming down now too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&SID=FW8t6x1e

Don't really know if this particular model will work with TIVO

Oops, looks like it will not work out of the box...
Other Thoughts: For those complaining about incompatibility, slow speeds, or other issues with drives that end in EARS: This is an 'Advanced Format' drive, which uses 4kB sectors instead of the normal 512B sectors older drives use. This results in better space efficiency. However Windows XP (and apparently TiVo) doesn't work well with the new block size. It can be switched back using a jumper, or you can use a program to realign it. More information can be found by checking Wikipedia article on "Advanced Format" and viewing external links.

Last edited by nickhaas33 : 04-18-2010 at 08:02 PM.
nickhaas33 is offline   Reply With Quote