TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #5431
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bciocco View Post
Amazon has the WD15EARS drive for 84.99 and free shipping today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref...e_01_mainimage

I believe this is a usable drive for upgrade with some minor modifications.
I got the tweet for that too.. but ever since I actually checked, it was the Hitachi 1 TB HD31000 drive.

I realize I will probably be too late for this, but *what is the warranty period*? The Amazon page only says "Full replacement, worry-free warranty", and looking around Hitachi's site, I can only find the place to enter a serial # to figure out if your drive is still under warranty.

and is this as low as the 1 TB drives are going for lately? If the 1.5 TB were $85, the $15 extra almost seems worth it even though you don't get all of the extra on a Tivo!! (e.g. possibly reformatting it later as an external drive.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #5432
jbarm

It's my understanding that most of the 1.5TB drives are quite a bit noisier than the Hitachi.

I jumped on buying the 1 TB Hitachi today. Had a bunch of March Madness HD video wipe out some stuff I wanted to keep.

jb
jbarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #5433
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I realize I will probably be too late for this, but *what is the warranty period*? The Amazon page only says "Full replacement, worry-free warranty", and looking around Hitachi's site, I can only find the place to enter a serial # to figure out if your drive is still under warranty.
One of the bullet items on the outside of the retail box says:
  • 3-year warranty
The actual warranty text from the Installation Guide in the box is much more amusing:
How long does limited warranty coverage last?

This limited warranty lasts for 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, or 5 years, or a fixed period from data of purchase, depending on when and where it was originally purchased. To determine the warranty specifically for your product, visit www.hitachigst.com. A valid proof of purchase may be required to prove eligibility. If you do not have a valid proof of purchase, the limited warranty period will be measured from the date of sale from Hitachi Global Storage Technologies to the authorized distributor.
In my case the drives have a Feb 2010 mfg date, so I wouldn't lose a whole lot of coverage if I lost my receipt.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #5434
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Yes as long as the user isn't expecting to be able to use the full 1.5TB of space when upgrading a TiVo Series3 or TiVo HD (see Section IV, #32 in the first post of this sticky thread).

Nice find!
Rich, please remember that that is now possible, using the hacked image and WinMFS.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #5435
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
Rich, please remember that that is now possible, using the hacked image and WinMFS.
Where does one get the image? (...and does anybody know why this can't be added to the CLI tools so we don't have to use Windows? i.e. I have upgraded on a Mac..)
Old 03-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #5436
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
One of the bullet items on the outside of the retail box says:
  • 3-year warranty
Thanks for the info.. I DID jump on this one, even though I'm still curious about getting > 1.x TB drives working fully.. I've got Amazon credit to "use up". (I realize it's not going anywhere, but I don't have any better ideas about what to use it for anytime soon.)
Old 03-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #5437
richsadams

Quote:
True enough, but not based on the upgrade instructions in the first post of this sticky.

Now look what you've gone and done...

Quote:
Where does one get the image? (...and does anybody know why this can't be added to the CLI tools so we don't have to use Windows? i.e. I have upgraded on a Mac..)

richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #5438
Tivogre

Quote:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...70#post7823170
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #5439
richsadams

WD and Hitachi 1TB $69.99 Shipped

Noted that Newegg has the 1TB WD10EARS on sale for $69.99 including free shipping using promo code EMCYRYZ38.

Amazon still has the Hitachi Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K for $69.99 shipped.

Last edited by richsadams : 04-01-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Add second link
Old 04-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #5440
MPSAN

Can NOT upgrade Series 4!

Today, it was discovered that TiVo has installed a dye pack, similar to what they put into the money packs in a bank robbery! If anyone with a Series 4 TiVo attempts to open the case in order to change the HDD, it sprays Orange Dye inside and TiVo knows that you were inside. They can get into it as there is a code that they can enter via the remote to disable it.

I am wondering how long it will take for the code to become available online...perhaps on the next April 1st!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #5441
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Today, it was discovered that TiVo has installed a dye pack, similar to what they put into the money packs in a bank robbery! If anyone with a Series 4 TiVo attempts to open the case in order to change the HDD, it sprays Orange Dye inside and TiVo knows that you were inside. They can get into it as there is a code that they can enter via the remote to disable it.

I am wondering how long it will take for the code to become available online...perhaps on the next April 1st!
AbMagFab must have gotten an early model since they apparently hadn't perfected the dye pack yet....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...00#post7849400

By gosh I hope someone comes up with a work-around. Our Premiere XL is due to hit our doorstep tomorrow (hopefully not literally) and I've been eyeing those 2TB deals recently.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #5442
MPSAN

Rich, I wonder if it is always Orange Dye?

Anyway, I think you said that you were getting the 1TB one. I guess it is too soon to know if WINmfs will still work with the series 4. I hope yours comes today. All 3 of mine are fine now and I posted a long message on how I got them all running again, and how I got my shows off the "bad" drive. I guess no one cared so I will not do that again.

Stay dry,

Dave
Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #5443
richsadams

Quote:
Rich, I wonder if it is always Orange Dye?

Anyway, I think you said that you were getting the 1TB one. I guess it is too soon to know if WINmfs will still work with the series 4. I hope yours comes today. All 3 of mine are fine now and I posted a long message on how I got them all running again, and how I got my shows off the "bad" drive. I guess no one cared so I will not do that again.

Stay dry,

Dave
Hey Dave...my understanding is that the new Premiere's have a tiny, tiny (less than a micron) thread connected from the cover of the box to the bottom so that if anyone removes the case, whammo...it's bricked. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

BTW your info was very valuable. I wouldn't worry about no one posting about it. Folks will follow that will be very grateful for your hard work and tenacity. Sun's out! Woo hoo!
Old 04-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #5444
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Our Premiere XL is due to hit our doorstep tomorrow (hopefully not literally) and I've been eyeing those 2TB deals recently.
Seriously? You think you need 2 TB?

I've just recently upgraded 3 (out of 4) HD units to 1 TB each. That's 157 hours each of HD. Hard to envision free space being a problem anytime soon.

But the Premiere also has a very interesting improvement: file transfers are much much faster. So using something like kmttg and a home NAS would let you have "virtually unlimited" storage without hassles. kmttg has a few buglets in it, but overall it works fine on my iMac. It's ridiculously easy to copy files off the TiVos. Unfortunately, with the TiVo HD boxes, it's also ridiculously slow.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #5445
richsadams

Quote:
Seriously? You think you need 2 TB?

I've just recently upgraded 3 (out of 4) HD units to 1 TB each. That's 157 hours each of HD. Hard to envision free space being a problem anytime soon.

But the Premiere also has a very interesting improvement: file transfers are much much faster. So using something like kmttg and a home NAS would let you have "virtually unlimited" storage without hassles. kmttg has a few buglets in it, but overall it works fine on my iMac. It's ridiculously easy to copy files off the TiVos. Unfortunately, with the TiVo HD boxes, it's also ridiculously slow.
Actually we've been pretty happy with 1TB...it's just the old Tim the Tool Man itch to make things bigger, better, faster. Besides, for some folks, 2TB is child's play. I only ordered one...how about eight!

Yep, I have iTiVo transferring some recordings from the S3 to my MacBook as we speak. Great for on the road when the Slingbox can't be accessed. The S3 transfers are pretty decent compared to the THD. Is the Premiere even faster?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #5446
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
The S3 transfers are pretty decent compared to the THD. Is the Premiere even faster?
I don't have any personal experience with the Premiere. I'm running out of rooms to put boxes in, so I don't think I'll get one anytime soon. bkdtv has posted some amazing charts in the Premiere FAQ. Here's one:

Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #5447
richsadams

Quote:
I don't have any personal experience with the Premiere. I'm running out of rooms to put boxes in, so I don't think I'll get one anytime soon. bkdtv has posted some amazing charts in the Premiere FAQ. Here's one:
Sweet! I hadn't taken the time to look through the Premiere FAQ, thanks for that. Looks like transfers and MRV are up there as well (WAY up there for transfers using TS!) Darn, I might have to "justify" a second Premiere to replace the Series3 one of these days.

Last edited by richsadams : 04-01-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #5448
MPSAN

Phantom and Rich, the Sun will not be out for long.

I, too, wonder why 1TB is not enough. In fact, 2 of my 3 THD's are still stock.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #5449
richsadams

Quote:
Phantom and Rich, the Sun will not be out for long.

I, too, wonder why 1TB is not enough. In fact, 2 of my 3 THD's are still stock.
In my case (besides the "Tim Taylor" thing) we like to have a back stock of things to choose from depending on our mood. The deeper the selection the better I feel for whatever reason. Plus there are the various "drought" periods where nothing good seems to be on. We often record a whole season's worth of a program that we think we'll like but we don't watch it until something falls off of our favorites list or goes on hiatus or something. Then we have something else to watch instead. There are mini-series that we record for later as well and then there are those "guy" and "chick" things we'll opt to watch when the other is not around.

I also use the second TiVo to record programs so I can watch them when I'm on the road (using Slingbox), unless we have guests, then I transfer them to my computer so I'm not changing channels while they're trying to watch TV.

Plus, although it's rare, there will be three or four things on at the same time that we want to record, so we press both TiVo's into service and then transfer the recordings later. So the more space the better (for us) I guess. I'd rather do some housecleaning and dump things once in a while than find myself confronted with having nothing that I really want to watch or worse, have to delete something so I can record something else.

Again...compared to some, we're amateurs!

Ooooo, you're right. Time to mow the lawn!

Last edited by richsadams : 04-01-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Tyop…d'oh!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #5450
MPSAN

Thanks Rich. Well our lawn was mowed this morning. Anyway, I am getting V and Life now but that is a long way from filling up the 1TB THD. We do some MRV when we need >2 tuners. In fact Thursday is a big night.

Anyway, our son gets some of our shows for his PC (Windows Vista) and says a 1 hour show takes >2 hours to transfer. Is there an app that he can get to make this go much smoother? There must be something for Vista systems out there as we are now "the planet of the apps" are we not?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:59 AM   #5451
richsadams

Quote:
Is there an app that he can get to make this go much smoother? There must be something for Vista systems out there as we are now "the planet of the apps" are we not?
What's he using to transfer recordings, TiVo Desktop? It should run at at least like-for-like speed (1 hr. recording takes 1 hr. transfer). Not sure why it would take twice as long.

He could try KMTTG. I haven't tried it with Windows but I used it up until I upgraded to Snow Leopard on our Macs and it worked very well. It requires Rosetta w/Mac and I did a clean SL install and decided not to avoid 32 bit programs like Rosetta. I'm aiming to run all 64 bit. So far so good. iTiVo works for me now. But I digress. Anyway, see if KMTTG works any better.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #5452
S3-2501

I don't know if this is helpful to post or not, but I thought I'd post that my TivoHD with a WD10EVDS drive (intellipark set to 3720seconds/62.0 minutes via the /d switch) successfully updated to the latest 11.0g software last night. More evidence that the hassle of "disabling" intellipark does seem to solve any soft-boot or software update issues.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #5453
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
I don't know if this is helpful to post or not, but I thought I'd post that my TivoHD with a WD10EVDS drive (intellipark set to 3720seconds/62.0 minutes via the /d switch) successfully updated to the latest 11.0g software last night. More evidence that the hassle of "disabling" intellipark does seem to solve any soft-boot or software update issues.
That is good to know. It's also interesting that they pushed v11.0f to a few boxes a few weeks ago but are now are rolling out v11.0g. Hmmm...
Old 04-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #5454
Tivogre

An update on the 1.5 TB Tivo HD Unit...

The unit just took the latest software update from tivo (11.0g) with no issues.

It's been getting guide data and making regular calls to tivo for a couple of months now.

All is well; I am enjoying the 1.5 TB of space.

I would definitely deem this a stable hack.

If anyone has / does do a full 2TB internal drive, let us know how it works, and how much space is reported.
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 04-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #5455
richsadams

Quote:
If anyone has / does do a full 2TB internal drive, let us know how it works, and how much space is reported.
That would be valuable info indeed. What I'd really like to know is if the current WD GP drives can be used for upgrades w/o modifying the Intellipark feature. TiVo corrected the issue on the THD XL's, so I'm wondering if the latest update (11.0g) addresses that and we can go back to recommending the WD drives free and clear. Hopefully someone will give it a go soon and post the results.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #5456
emerz

Quote:
Upgraded my Tivo HD with a Western Digital AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB using Mr. Broflovski's hacked image after first disabling Intellipark with wdidle3. While it has only been two days since the upgrade, all appears to be work 100%.

Recording time is reported as 318/2776. All in all, a worthwhile upgrade.

Kudos to Mr. Broflovski !!

emerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #5457
Tivogre

Your 61 extra hours greatly taunts me!

Would you be willing to set the wdidle value back to default to confirm whether the soft boot issue is indeed fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerz View Post
Upgraded my Tivo HD with a Western Digital AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB using Mr. Broflovski's hacked image after first disabling Intellipark with wdidle3. While it has only been two days since the upgrade, all appears to be work 100%.

Recording time is reported as 318/2776. All in all, a worthwhile upgrade.

Kudos to Mr. Broflovski !!

Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #5458
MPSAN

FYI, my 1 TB just upgraded to 11.0g and all was OK. I lost a ton of channels after it rebooted and had to connect again to get guide data. All is OK now but I am not sure why I lost stations until I did another reconnect.

Rich and I are on the same FIOS system so I wonder how his is doing.
P.S. I assume that the Image Hack co$t$.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #5459
Tivogre

The image hack does NOT cost anything.

It is a gift from the hacking community.

In fact, one of the reasons it was done was to give another upgrade route, besides BUYING a pre-upgraded drive from someone on e-bay.

Quote:
FYI, my 1 TB just upgraded to 11.0g and all was OK. I lost a ton of channels after it rebooted and had to connect again to get guide data. All is OK now but I am not sure why I lost stations until I did another reconnect.

Rich and I are on the same FIOS system so I wonder how his is doing.
P.S. I assume that the Image Hack co$t$.

Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #5460
MPSAN

Quote:
The image hack does NOT cost anything.

It is a gift from the hacking community.

In fact, one of the reasons it was done was to give another upgrade route, besides BUYING a pre-upgraded drive from someone on e-bay.
Geeze! That is great!