TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #511
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Spielman View Post
No problem here either. As I mentioned in my reply to bkdtv, thanks for your prompt responses.
Glad you were able to get the help you were looking for...there are great people here.

I'm certain you'll be able to get it going, no reason for it not to work. Let us know how it's going and then what you're going to do with all of that newly-found recording space!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #512
Burt Spielman

Quote:
I've terminated the mfscopy (because I couldn't see what was going on), and I've now restarted it with the Windows screensaver turned off.
So, uh, when you turn the screensaver off in the appropriate Windows control panel, why does it still appear?

Now, as before, if I get rid of the screensaver, the WinMFS windows are blank. (Just love Windows! ) The drive adapter lights are blinking as before, so I suppose I'll just persevere this time.

TiVo Series 3 (1TB internal; 1TB external)
SAT-T60 DirecTiVo (retired except to view archived recordings)
Burt Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #513
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Glad you were able to get the help you were looking for...there are great people here.
Agreed!

Quote:
I'm certain you'll be able to get it going, no reason for it not to work. Let us know how it's going and then what you're going to do with all of that newly-found recording space!
I've terminated the mfscopy again. Once again, I'm unable to see what's going on, as the WinMFS windows are blank after recovering from the Windows screensaver.

Further, the ancient (PIII) Windows box I'm using (we're a Mac shop exclusively; it's a friend's old cast-off) has only USB 1.1 ports. A little research showed that the interminable transfer rate would cause the 750GB transfer to take something like 6 days! I have a USB 2.0 PCI card on order. At about 40 times the transfer rate, the copy will still take several hours, but, at least, it will be manageable. (Yes, I could have ordered a more expensive eSATA card, but I've already got the USB-to-SATA adapters mentioned in bkdtv's FAQ.)

So, for now, the 750GB drive goes back into the TiVo S3 until I can start this process again. Stay tuned!

Just as a matter of note, it might helpful for future users if the FAQ included some information on transfer rates, or, at least, a caution against using USB 1.1 for large data transfers.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #514
Clentz

Costco my book

Quote:
Um...what didn't?

Are you saying that you purchased the referenced WD HDD, connected it to your Series3 TiVo and it did not work?

AFAIK Hitachi doesn't make a comparable, stand-alone eSATA drive to date, but if so, can you provide a link?
I used an Antec MX-1 case & a 1TM Hitachi drive (Same cable that had been purchased from BB, as the Costco drive had none)

Carl
Clentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #515
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...So, for now, the 750GB drive goes back into the TiVo S3 until I can start this process again. Stay tuned!
If using WinMFS becomes painfully inconvenient just burn a CD of the MFS Live boot disk. It is a self-contained Linux system which will not affect your Windows hard drive. You can also use it to set the quiet mode on the drives.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #516
Bodie

Quote:
Agreed!

I've terminated the mfscopy again. Once again, I'm unable to see what's going on, as the WinMFS windows are blank after recovering from the Windows screensaver.

Further, the ancient (PIII) Windows box I'm using (we're a Mac shop exclusively; it's a friend's old cast-off) has only USB 1.1 ports. A little research showed that the interminable transfer rate would cause the 750GB transfer to take something like 6 days! I have a USB 2.0 PCI card on order. At about 40 times the transfer rate, the copy will still take several hours, but, at least, it will be manageable. (Yes, I could have ordered a more expensive eSATA card, but I've already got the USB-to-SATA adapters mentioned in bkdtv's FAQ.)

So, for now, the 750GB drive goes back into the TiVo S3 until I can start this process again. Stay tuned!

Just as a matter of note, it might helpful for future users if the FAQ included some information on transfer rates, or, at least, a caution against using USB 1.1 for large data transfers.
Copied the original 250 GB to a 1TB yesterday using winMFS and the copy took about 5 hours on USB2.0 (using two external enclosures). The screens went white just by looking at another window. My guess is there is no redraw in the algorithm for copying.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:15 PM   #517
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
You can also use it to set the quiet mode on the drives.
How much difference is there? Is it worth pulling the drive to set quiet mode if there isn't really any noise now?
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #518
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
Copied the original 250 GB to a 1TB yesterday using winMFS and the copy took about 5 hours on USB2.0 (using two external enclosures). The screens went white just by looking at another window. My guess is there is no redraw in the algorithm for copying.
Thanks for the heads up on copying time. I'm happy to hear I'm not alone in seeing white screens.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #519
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
...Is it worth pulling the drive to set quiet mode if there isn't really any noise now?
Not if you discern no head seek noise.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #520
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clentz View Post
I used an Antec MX-1 case & a 1TM Hitachi drive (Same cable that had been purchased from BB, as the Costco drive had none)

Carl
Okay, understood about your current setup.

However you mentioned the Costco drive again and so we're still not clear about your original statement.

Did you buy the referenced WD My Book Home Edition eSATA HDD from Costco and connect it to your Series3? If so did it not work and if not, can you tell us what happened?

If in fact that drive does not work for some reason (again, AFAIK there's no reason it wouldn't) a factual statement to that effect would be helpful to others. If it was some other drive, that's fine...just let us know.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #521
Clentz

Quote:
Okay, understood about your current setup.

However you mentioned the Costco drive again and so we're still not clear about your original statement.

Did you buy the referenced WD My Book Home Edition eSATA HDD from Costco and connect it to your Series3? If so did it not work and if not, can you tell us what happened?

If in fact that drive does not work for some reason (again, AFAIK there's no reason it wouldn't) a factual statement to that effect would be helpful to others. If it was some other drive, that's fine...just let us know.

Thanks.
Yes, I did buy the drive. It was not recognized (OK W/USB to computer) Note: I also saw that "Stopper10" had the same failure.

Carl
Old 12-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #522
richsadams

Quote:
Yes, I did buy the drive. It was not recognized (OK W/USB to computer) Note: I also saw that "Stopper10" had the same failure.

Carl
Okay, thanks for that. So what you're saying is that you tried to connect the drive to either your computer or your Series3 (not sure which) via USB which caused you to believe that the drive wouldn't work? That's a little different than what you said in your OP...

Quote:
I went down that path - It did not work. One of my computer parts suppliers added that internally the "Box" likely had two drives.

Carl
Stopper10's post did say that he couldn't get the drive to work but not for the same reason (trying to use USB instead of eSATA). There are a number of reasons it may not have worked but there's no way of knowing why as he never posted any more results.

Glad to hear that you're "new" drive is working in any case.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #523
Clentz

Costco WD 1TB My Book eSATA No Workie with eSATA

Quote:
Okay, thanks for that. So what you're saying is that you tried to connect the drive to either your computer or your Series3 (not sure which) via USB which caused you to believe that the drive wouldn't work? That's a little different than what you said in your OP...

Stopper10's post did say that he couldn't get the drive to work but not for the same reason (trying to use USB instead of eSATA). There are a number of reasons it may not have worked but there's no way of knowing why as he never posted any more results.

Glad to hear that you're "new" drive is working in any case.
OK, lets try this again: Stopper 10 said that he purchased his eSATA cable @ microcenter, I said I purchased mine @ Best Buy (The Costco drive does not come with the eSATA cable) He said that the drive only worked with USB & FireWire, I said that my drive worked with USB. (I did not test it with FireWire) Our experiences are similar.

Carl
Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #524
richsadams

Quote:
OK, lets try this again: Stopper 10 said that he purchased his eSATA cable @ microcenter, I said I purchased mine @ Best Buy (The Costco drive does not come with the eSATA cable) He said that the drive only worked with USB & FireWire, I said that my drive worked with USB. (I did not test it with FireWire) Our experiences are similar.

Carl
Your experiences are similar? And what does a cable have to do with anything? We're talking about a HDD here.

Since you're new to the forum and I'm sure you meant well I've been trying to let you off the hook. But you're trying to confuse us even more with someone else's post which doesn't have much to do with or justify what you originally said. Your first post got it wrong. You made a faux pas is all.

To set the record straight I was talking about the WD 1TB Home Edition eSATA drive that Costco is selling for $299 in this post saying that it should work as an expansion drive with a Series3 Tivo (which it should).

You replied (using my post) with this statement:

Quote:
I went down that path - It did not work. One of my computer parts suppliers added that internally the "Box" likely had two drives.
If you had actually seen or used the drive in question you would have known it was a single drive to start with. If you had admitted that you had made a mistake or that you tried connecting it to a TiVo via USB and found out that it didn’t work, that would have been a little embarrassing, but the end of it.

When questioned about it in this post you replied:

Quote:
Except it didn't. I ended up with an hitachi.
And when questioned about it again in this post you replied:

Quote:
Huh??

Based on your posts we'd have to come to the conclusion that you probably never had the drive we were talking about or even if you did you never tried to properly connect it to a TiVo Series3.

The fact is (as I originally stated so long ago) that the WD 1TB My Book Home Edition eSATA drive should work as an expansion drive via P&P on a Series3 TiVo. This is based on more than six months of trial and error that many of us here have been conducting. If you or anyone else has an experience that says otherwise, it's something we need to know.

Newbies and seasoned TCF members are more than welcome to share their thoughts and factual experiences. But making stuff up isn't a good thing to do. As you’re finding out, you'll get called on it pretty quickly here.

Okay? Okay, nuff said. Time to move on.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #525
Clentz

Quote:
Your experiences are similar? And what does a cable have to do with anything? We're talking about a HDD here.

Since you're new to the forum and I'm sure you meant well I've been trying to let you off the hook. But you're trying to confuse us even more with someone else's post which doesn't have much to do with or justify what you originally said. Your first post got it wrong. You made a faux pas is all.

To set the record straight I was talking about the WD 1TB Home Edition eSATA drive that Costco is selling for $299 in this post saying that it should work as an expansion drive with a Series3 Tivo (which it should).

You replied (using my post) with this statement:

If you had actually seen or used the drive in question you would have known it was a single drive to start with. If you had admitted that you had made a mistake or that you tried connecting it to a TiVo via USB and found out that it didn’t work, that would have been a little embarrassing, but the end of it.

When questioned about it in this post you replied:

And when questioned about it again in this post you replied:

Huh??

Based on your posts we'd have to come to the conclusion that you probably never had the drive we were talking about or even if you did you never tried to properly connect it to a TiVo Series3.

The fact is (as I originally stated so long ago) that the WD 1TB My Book Home Edition eSATA drive should work as an expansion drive via P&P on a Series3 TiVo. This is based on more than six months of trial and error that many of us here have been conducting. If you or anyone else has an experience that says otherwise, it's something we need to know.

Newbies and seasoned TCF members are more than welcome to share their thoughts and factual experiences. But making stuff up isn't a good thing to do. As you’re finding out, you'll get called on it pretty quickly here.

Okay? Okay, nuff said. Time to move on.
Hello,
Not Quite! I would suggest you purchase the drive yourself (And a cable, as it is not supplied) and try it yourself. You would then know what WE are talking about. The only reason I joined this fourm was to warn others that this drive would not work with a S3. (I did purchase it and connect it the same way as the current setup that does work - the other person in question likely did as did: Returned the drive to Costco) THE CONNECTION to the S3 was VIA eSATA. (Not by USB as somehow you got it into your head) I did not take the "box" apart to see what was inside, as you certainly can to the "drive" that you purchase. If you do, please let us ALL know what you find.
In my 1st post I had mentioned that when I was ordering the parts to put together an expansion drive, my supplier said that some of "My Books" had more than one drives inside. (I in no way implied that I had looked inside the "box". Several years ago I ran across a Packard Bell computer that had inside TWO drives that Bios detected as only ONE. Neither would run by it's self, they only would run as a pair. Very large for the time <4gig. WD I think) Rich, I think that you may have been retired longer than me and, perhaps taken one too many dives.

Carl

Last edited by Clentz : 12-03-2007 at 08:09 AM. Reason: To clarify that I (And Stopper 10) were using eSATA
Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #526
richsadams

Quote:
Hello,
Not Quite! I would suggest you purchase the drive yourself (And a cable, as it is not supplied) and try it yourself. You would then know what WE are talking about. The only reason I joined this fourm was to warn others that this drive would not work with a S3. (I did purchase it and connect it the same way as the current setup that does work - the other person in question likely did as did: Returned the drive to Costco) THE CONNECTION to the S3 was VIA eSATA. (Not by USB as somehow you got it into your head) I did not take the "box" apart to see what was inside, as you certainly can to the "drive" that you purchase. If you do, please let us ALL know what you find.
In my 1st post I had mentioned that when I was ordering the parts to put together an expansion drive, my supplier said that some of "My Books" had more than one drives inside. (I in no way implied that I had looked inside the "box". Several years ago I ran across a Packard Bell computer that had inside TWO drives that Bios detected as only ONE. Neither would run by it's self, they only would run as a pair. Very large for the time <4gig. WD I think) Rich, I think that you may have been retired longer than me and, perhaps taken one too many dives.

Carl
Um, okay, now I understand...I think. You bought the drive in question, you properly connected it to your Series3 TiVo with an eSATA II cable from the recommended list (see #25) and it didn't work. Had you said that clearly in the beginning that would have been fine.

I guess what triggered the questioning of your credibility was what you said in your very first post on this forum:

Quote:

Carl
Anyone that has any experience with external drives at all would immediately know that what we've been talking about is a single drive just by looking at it and certainly by holding it. The rest of your posts were a bit unclear overall.

Based on this somewhat better information I'll trust that you tried it (hopefully with a proper eSATA cable) and it didn’t work for you. What is puzzling is why not. After reading all of the drive’s specifications on the WD web site there is absolutely nothing to indicate that it won’t work as a P&P expansion drive for TiVo Series3’s. The drive itself is being used by a number of people here already (I have one on my desk ready for an internal install) and the enclosure is identical to what WD has been using all along...basically the same enclosure that TiVo sells as their 500GB "approved device". So it’s very curious as to why it wouldn’t work. Unfortunately I have more than 100 recordings saved up that I don’t want to lose, so I won’t be testing it myself any time soon.

FWIW, my Series1 TiVo was hacked and modded too many times to remember and retired several years ago, not me. However I am an avid deep sea scuba diver, thanks for noticing.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #527
bkdtv

Can anyone confirm whether the current version of WinMFS asks you to run Mfsadd after you do a Mfscopy and/or Restore?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #528
leeherman

Quote:
Sounds good. No guarantee that a new cable will fix it, but it can't hurt.

Keep us posted.
I just installed the SIIG cable with my existing drive and enclosure. No joy. It started acting up quickly with skipping audio and video.

Well, I started with the cheapest possibility, now I'm moving on to the next possibility. I ordered the Antec case recommended here. Got it on ebay from the buy.com store for $52.00 and free shipping.

I *really* hope that does it.

LH
leeherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #529
bkdtv

I updated the link for the 12% off BB coupon in the first post. Good until 12/31/08.

I also updated the first post with links to WinMFS Beta Build 8 (released today).

Last edited by bkdtv : 12-04-2007 at 05:23 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #530
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the current version of WinMFS asks you to run Mfsadd after you do a Mfscopy and/or Restore?
Bk, as I mentioned, I never got that far. Once I have a faster transfer rate scheme (than USB 1.1) in place, I'll let you know.

Also, I'll be able to relate how I fare with Seagate 1TB drives (as far as I know, unmentioned in the FAQ). I can say, at this point, that the bare drive I initially attempted to copy to was virtually inaudible.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #531
stretch35

No go for me so far with costco 1tb wd drive..using siig esata cable 2m..tivo3 9.2a sofrware..tivo boots about 3 times about 15 minutes to get to thx screen ..in system info doesn't show dirve attached..settings ..external devices says none detected..gonna try again as this drive has plastic button for power although I can feel drive spinning..just wondering if im waiting too long (more than 15seconds refered to in official tivo drive manual/)
stretch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #532
stretch35

3rd try with costco drive..nothing..drive's light panel on front flashes around tivo3 just seems to ignore it siig esata cable seems snug snaps in only goes in one way..powered up..tivo poweringup message last about 5 minutes each time..after 1st five minutes of this page..goes blank for about 3seconds comes back up again to powering up..all the while all lights and tivo on oled display panel are on after 15minutes..no drive, no external storage connected, sys info no change..
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #533
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch35 View Post
3rd try with costco drive..nothing..drive's light panel on front flashes around tivo3 just seems to ignore it siig esata cable seems snug snaps in only goes in one way..powered up..tivo poweringup message last about 5 minutes each time..after 1st five minutes of this page..goes blank for about 3seconds comes back up again to powering up..all the while all lights and tivo on oled display panel are on after 15minutes..no drive, no external storage connected, sys info no change..
Bummer. Sorry to hear that...so much potential and for a good price.

I wonder if it has something to do with the three-way bridge setup (USB/Firewire/eSATA)? Seems like it should work, but...

Thanks for giving it your all!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #534
stretch35

Quote:
Bummer. Sorry to hear that...so much potential and for a good price.

I wonder if it has something to do with the three-way bridge setup (USB/Firewire/eSATA)? Seems like it should work, but...

Thanks for giving it your all!
maybe..just looked at it again..led 's still flashing around as if in usb or firewire mode..(I was wondering if it was going to power down or idle like my maxtor usb drive I use on my ancient computer) apparently not..gonna try again the soft touch power button on this drive seems to do nothing...led's just keep running around..wondering if when I first power up external drive it looks for esata input (while tivo still booting up ) sees nothing from tivo and just goes to usb or firewire. mode any ideas?? at least I'll let it run overnight to see how warm it gets..so far just the top is warm but not by much..sitting like a book
Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #535
Clentz

I see that Stretch35 has joined the Costco group

Quote:
Um, okay, now I understand...I think. You bought the drive in question, you properly connected it to your Series3 TiVo with an eSATA II cable from the recommended list (see #25) and it didn't work. Had you said that clearly in the beginning that would have been fine.

I guess what triggered the questioning of your credibility was what you said in your very first post on this forum:

Anyone that has any experience with external drives at all would immediately know that what we've been talking about is a single drive just by looking at it and certainly by holding it. The rest of your posts were a bit unclear overall.

Based on this somewhat better information I'll trust that you tried it (hopefully with a proper eSATA cable) and it didn’t work for you. What is puzzling is why not. After reading all of the drive’s specifications on the WD web site there is absolutely nothing to indicate that it won’t work as a P&P expansion drive for TiVo Series3’s. The drive itself is being used by a number of people here already (I have one on my desk ready for an internal install) and the enclosure is identical to what WD has been using all along...basically the same enclosure that TiVo sells as their 500GB "approved device". So it’s very curious as to why it wouldn’t work. Unfortunately I have more than 100 recordings saved up that I don’t want to lose, so I won’t be testing it myself any time soon.

FWIW, my Series1 TiVo was hacked and modded too many times to remember and retired several years ago, not me. However I am an avid deep sea scuba diver, thanks for noticing.
I had no idea that I would end up devoting as much time defending my attempt to warn people away from Costo "Drives".
1st) It is not just a drive, it HAS unknown device(s) inside of an enclosure - perhaps a drive and a bridge used for the I/O connection. It is an external storage assembly. The fact that someone mentioned that some versions of that storage assembly had more than one drive and I failed to consider the thickness of WD’s current drives (A little less than one and one thirty second inch) and the enclosure’s size of 2.23 inches was quite immaterial. (It seemed doable, without investigation) My fault for even mentioning it.
2nd) Again my fault for not including your question with my response, I just used a coma between statements.
3rd) I was not shopping for a storage assy when I saw them at Costco. (And I was thinking of it’s use on a satellite system’s PVR for my Ex-Wife) This was on the weekend. The only eSATA cable I could find was at Best Buy (A PNY 2ft cable that was certified for 3Gb/s)
4th) A little more info: The final spec for eSATA (3Gb/s) cable is 1.6mm (Aprox 1/16 in) longer than the 1st (Not final) version (1.5Gb/s) connector. The final spec also requires a transmit current that is 100ma more. For a passive connected setup the shorter 3ft cable should be used. (Remember it is unknown what is inside of Costco’s “box”)

Now that I have a little more knowledge, I am getting a different enclosure for my current Hatachi drive (More cooling) and a shorter cable. I think that in all cases the shorter cable should be used, unless the enclosure’s bridge is buffered.

Carl
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 PM   #536
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeherman View Post
...I set up the drive on 11/21 and several days later started noticing skips and jumps in my recordings to the point of them being unwatchable. This also included stuff transferred from my S2. I spent the past two days copying stuff to my Tivo server and removed the drive from my S3 this evening.

With the drive removed, the S3 records and plays perfectly.

I'm wondering if anyone's experienced similar results with a non-supported setup.
I just came here because my *official* dvr expander causing this problem on my original S3. If I leave it running for 5-7 days, it starts hitching more and more. After a reboot, no new hitches occur in new recordings, but existing hitches in existing recordings persist. A week later, the process repeats.

None of this ever happened before I connected the drive last month, and now it's happened three times, which coincidentally is roughly how many week-long cycles have gone past since.

I'd have to guess that something is happening after significant uptime that is causing bad sectors to be written during recording, and this drive is possibly not set to fail quickly the way a media drive should be. That seems to cause the TiVo to have to sit there and wait for the drive to give up on the bad sector. Input seems dead but is actually getting queued up for when things unlock.

If I'm anywhere near accurate, this is worrisome. Writing bad data or creating bad sectors is not a good situation for a DVR to get into. TiVo needs to figure this one out.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start rebooting my S3 every few days.
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 AM   #537
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
I just came here because my *official* dvr expander causing this problem on my original S3. If I leave it running for 5-7 days, it starts hitching more and more. After a reboot, no new hitches occur in new recordings, but existing hitches in existing recordings persist. A week later, the process repeats.

None of this ever happened before I connected the drive last month, and now it's happened three times, which coincidentally is roughly how many week-long cycles have gone past since.

I'd have to guess that something is happening after significant uptime that is causing bad sectors to be written during recording, and this drive is possibly not set to fail quickly the way a media drive should be. That seems to cause the TiVo to have to sit there and wait for the drive to give up on the bad sector. Input seems dead but is actually getting queued up for when things unlock.

If I'm anywhere near accurate, this is worrisome. Writing bad data or creating bad sectors is not a good situation for a DVR to get into. TiVo needs to figure this one out.

Meanwhile, I'm going to start rebooting my S3 every few days.
Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble. What you're describing is worrisome, but not for the reasons that you may be worried about. TiVo or really any computer isn't capable of "creating bad sectors", or really "writing bad data", unless the incoming data is getting corrupted somehow.

Bad sectors can be caused by damaging the actual platters in the hard drive (dropping it, etc.), however it's much more common to "discover" a manufacturing defect with data just now being written to that area.

Malfunctioning read/write heads can cause data corruption and things can get progressively worse. Other issues can do the same such as overheating (not uncommon in eSATA drives w/o a cooling fan and/or good ventilation) and electrical variations including surges/spikes and brownouts (all of which can go undetected).

There was an earlier report of a TiVo eSATA drive that wouldn't work and IIRC one other that had an eSATA cable with bad connectors. Both drives had to be returned to TiVo for replacement.

If there is an issue with the hard drive you can try running TiVo's diagnostic program to see if it will resolve it. Kickstart information.

So your post begs a few questions. What do you mean by "hitches"? Are all of your connections (particularly the eSATA cable) snug and not loose? Also when you're rebooting TiVo are you doing a hard reboot or a menu restart? Is your TiVo on a surge protector or even better a UPS/line conditioner?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #538
richsadams

Quote:
I had no idea that I would end up devoting as much time defending my attempt to warn people away from Costo "Drives".
1st) It is not just a drive, it HAS unknown device(s) inside of an enclosure - perhaps a drive and a bridge used for the I/O connection. It is an external storage assembly. The fact that someone mentioned that some versions of that storage assembly had more than one drive and I failed to consider the thickness of WD’s current drives (A little less than one and one thirty second inch) and the enclosure’s size of 2.23 inches was quite immaterial. (It seemed doable, without investigation) My fault for even mentioning it.
2nd) Again my fault for not including your question with my response, I just used a coma between statements.
3rd) I was not shopping for a storage assy when I saw them at Costco. (And I was thinking of it’s use on a satellite system’s PVR for my Ex-Wife) This was on the weekend. The only eSATA cable I could find was at Best Buy (A PNY 2ft cable that was certified for 3Gb/s)
4th) A little more info: The final spec for eSATA (3Gb/s) cable is 1.6mm (Aprox 1/16 in) longer than the 1st (Not final) version (1.5Gb/s) connector. The final spec also requires a transmit current that is 100ma more. For a passive connected setup the shorter 3ft cable should be used. (Remember it is unknown what is inside of Costco’s “box”)

Now that I have a little more knowledge, I am getting a different enclosure for my current Hatachi drive (More cooling) and a shorter cable. I think that in all cases the shorter cable should be used, unless the enclosure’s bridge is buffered.

Carl
It looks like your warning not to use the WD 1TB Home Edition drives available at Costco for Series3 expansion drives should probably be heeded based on posts by you and others. The fact that your posts were caught up in other issues clouded things up on my part.

You are correct, shorter eSATA (and all) cables are better. The recommended SIIG cable is 1m, so just a little longer than 3ft. As long as they're kept away from EMI such as UPS systems, speakers, and not run in parallel with power cords, etc. they are usually okay. The SIIG cable has good shielding, but some of the lower quality eSATA cables don't.

A majority of the troubles over the past six months or so have been with the connectors on the eSATA cables which are either too short, come loose easily or are of poor quality. Antec's MX-1's were shipping with poor quality cables for a time although they seem to be okay now.

Didn't you already have an MX-1 enclosure? Ours runs very cool with a Seagate DB35 drive 24/7.

Thanks for the "heads up". Although all external drives have a bridge of some sort, this WD 1TB Home Edition must have something "special" about it to make it incompatible.

It's possible as stretch35 mentioned that it needs an immediate connection which TiVo may not provide. It's also likely using the WD 1TB GP OEM HDD and some of those installed internally have given Series3's trouble with menu restarts. Those using them in their own external enclosures don't seem to be seeing any problems though so I'm still leaning toward a bridge issue. Time will tell.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #539
kohi
日本語の学生

Quote:
It looks like your warning not to use the WD 1TB Home Edition drives available at Costco for Series3 expansion drives should probably be heeded based on posts by you and others. The fact that your posts were caught up in other issues clouded things up on my part.

You are correct, shorter eSATA (and all) cables are better. The recommended SIIG cable is 1m, so just a little longer than 3ft. As long as they're kept away from EMI such as UPS systems, speakers, and not run in parallel with power cords, etc. they are usually okay. The SIIG cable has good shielding, but some of the lower quality eSATA cables don't.

A majority of the troubles over the past six months or so have been with the connectors on the eSATA cables which are either too short, come loose easily or are of poor quality. Antec's MX-1's were shipping with poor quality cables for a time although they seem to be okay now.

Didn't you already have an MX-1 enclosure? Ours runs very cool with a Seagate DB35 drive 24/7.

Thanks for the "heads up". Although all external drives have a bridge of some sort, this WD 1TB Home Edition must have something "special" about it to make it incompatible.

It's possible as stretch35 mentioned that it needs an immediate connection which TiVo may not provide. It's also likely using the WD 1TB GP OEM HDD and some of those installed internally have given Series3's trouble with menu restarts. Those using them in their own external enclosures don't seem to be seeing any problems though so I'm still leaning toward a bridge issue. Time will tell.
FWIW, used the cable that shipped with the Antec's MX-1 drive and had no issues with it. Using the Antec's MX-1 with Seagate DB35 and it is very quiet and cool. Thanks to the instructions posted here, the install was very easy.
kohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #540
gspoto

Hello,
I'm a first time poster to this forum so please excuse me if I am asking something that has already been answered somewhere else but I have done a bit of searching here and can't find any answers...
I have a TiVo HD and am interested in adding that additional storage using the eSATA. I know that the TiVo HD units have a plug and play compatability with the WD 500 GB TiVo Branded my book external drives and that is the only drive the eSATA will be plug and play.

What is it about those drives that make them plug and play?

I have read the sticky thread about how to use MFSTLive to "marry" an external HD to the TiVos built in drive so that it can be used externaly, but I really don't look forward to breaking open my TiVo to try and attach the 1GB external storage of my dreams. So I am trying to find some data on what makes the branded TiVO xternal HD's so special in hopes of developing some type of workaround that keeps my TiVo (and warrenty) in tact.

Thanks!
gspoto is offline   Reply With Quote