TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #5161
fljoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I didn't see the $100 off lifetime offer...ugh, that makes it even more attractive.

Oh honey...did you see this? It's a great deal! No, really!
Here's the link for $199 Lifetime on Tivo Premiere for current Lifetime members :
https://www3.tivo.com/store/upgrade.do

Go ahead Rich .. make our day ;-)
fljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #5162
pl1

Quote:
I didn't see the $100 off lifetime offer...ugh, that makes it even more attractive.

Oh honey...did you see this? It's a great deal! No, really!
My upgrade offers (from my old S2, S3, and THD) all say $299 for the new unit, plus $199 ($200 off) for a Lifetime transfer. The old deal was $149 for the THD plus $299 for the LT transfer. Are there other offers?
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #5163
bciocco

Would something like the BYTECC BT-360 USB 2.0 to Dual SATA Adapter, With OTB(One Touch Backup) from NewEgg (Unable to post link due to low post count) work to copy all of the TiVo drive onto a 1 TB replacement drive?

Would it eliminate the need for WinMFS?

Thanks.

My pc is ide, so if I need to purchase adapter, I thought purchasing one that would do all of the work would make it easier.
bciocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #5164
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
how soon till you crack the case open?
Lol. Honestly with a 1TB I doubt I will have the need which is why for $40 I went with the three year extended warranty. If it transfers fast enough, it will be cheaper and easier just to add drives to my Windows Home Server. I think I still have 12 drive bays empty.

With review units going out soon according to the Engadget Podcast, we may see the inside soon if any of the reviewers open one up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #5165
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
My upgrade offers (from my old S2, S3, and THD) all say $299 for the new unit, plus $199 ($200 off) for a Lifetime transfer. The old deal was $149 for the THD plus $299 for the LT transfer. Are there other offers?
Keep in mind this isn't a lifetime transfer this time. You keep lifetime on the old box also. Also there is a thread in the Premiere forums about using fatwallet for cash back. If it goes through I saved an additional $120 on the 2 XLs with lifetime which both already had $100 off lifetime.

The only other deal is if you have a monthly TiVo the hardware is 20% off so the Premiere is 239 and the XL is 399. Of course the best deal is if you work retail, most likely BB, and have access to sellmoretivo.com where you get $200 off the hardware.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #5166
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bciocco View Post
Would something like the BYTECC BT-360 USB 2.0 to Dual SATA Adapter, With OTB(One Touch Backup) from NewEgg (Unable to post link due to low post count) work to copy all of the TiVo drive onto a 1 TB replacement drive?

Would it eliminate the need for WinMFS?

Thanks.

My pc is ide, so if I need to purchase adapter, I thought purchasing one that would do all of the work would make it easier.
Welcome to the forum. The short answers to your questions would be no and no. (Were it only that easy! ) You will have to use the winMFS (or MFSLive) programs to upgrade no matter what.

The upgrade process is not really "copying" in the normal sense, it's more complicated than that. I won't waste your time explaining because it really isn't necessary. All you need to know is that if you want to simply upgrade from your original hard drive to a larger one you'll need to follow the instructions in Section V, #22a in the first post of this sticky. If you also want to keep your recordings you'll need to follow #22b in that same section.

I've never upgraded using an IDE system, but it's possible that something like this IDE/SATA docking station might work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...king%20station

Otherwise your best bet would be to befriend someone that has a current PC, buy them dinner and go with the normal instructions. Everything you need to know is in the first post. It looks a bit complicated but it's really not once you get going. As someone mentioned earlier it can be done in under an hour (from opening the box to enjoying your "new" TiVo). Have a read through the post and if you still have some questions don't hesitate to ask.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #5167
bciocco

Thanks for the quick response.
The item I mentioned also works as a dual SATA adapter, or I can install a PCI dual SATA card. I lean toward the card (they are under $20), but I need to check to see if I have power supply cables to run the drives.

I was looking at the adapters on this page:
http://www.mfslive.org/setupcomputer.htm

Last edited by bciocco : 03-05-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #5168
bciocco

BTW, I was initially going to get the WD My DVR Expander. Reading this forum has convinced me that it would not be prudent.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #5169
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response.
The item I mentioned also works as a dual SATA adapter, or I can install a PCI dual SATA card. I lean toward the card (they are under $20), but I need to check to see if I have power supply cables to run the drives.

I was looking at the adapters on this page:
http://www.mfslive.org/setupcomputer.htm
D'oh! I should have gotten that from your post, but it's Friday and I'm easily distracted. It sounds like you want to save your recordings so that should work but if it were me I would invest a few dollars more in a dual SATA docking station like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-049-_-Product

For me it would be a little more permanent and useful going forward for other opportunities. Either one is probably a little less complicated than installing a SATA/PATA/IDE PCI card in your computer. Once you upgrade to a new computer the adapter or docking station would still be useful since it has USB and eSATA connections.

If you didn't want to save your recordings you could use an adapter like that listed on the MFSLive.org site since you'd only be connecting one drive at a time.

Quote:
BTW, I was initially going to get the WD My DVR Expander. Reading this forum has convinced me that it would not be prudent.
Probably just as well...one less failure point plus a new OEM drive has a 3 year warranty as opposed to the Expander's one-year warranty. Based on numerous posts about the Expander's short lifespan an internal upgrade will probably last a good deal longer.

Hope that helps! Oh look...something shiny.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #5170
dt100

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I don't have the hardware required to fix a newly manufactured fix the Intellipark EVDS drive.
The hardware being a PC that can be opened up?

Last edited by dt100 : 03-05-2010 at 11:39 PM.
dt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #5171
bciocco

Quote:
D'oh! I should have gotten that from your post, but it's Friday and I'm easily distracted. It sounds like you want to save your recordings so that should work but if it were me I would invest a few dollars more in a dual SATA docking station like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-049-_-Product

For me it would be a little more permanent and useful going forward for other opportunities. Either one is probably a little less complicated than installing a SATA/PATA/IDE PCI card in your computer. Once you upgrade to a new computer the adapter or docking station would still be useful since it has USB and eSATA connections.

If you didn't want to save your recordings you could use an adapter like that listed on the MFSLive.org site since you'd only be connecting one drive at a time.

Probably just as well...one less failure point plus a new OEM drive has a 3 year warranty as opposed to the Expander's one-year warranty. Based on numerous posts about the Expander's short lifespan an internal upgrade will probably last a good deal longer.

Hope that helps! Oh look...something shiny.
Talking about something shiny...
Let's see $120 or so to upgrade my TiVo HD or $300 for the new HD Premier with 1Tb and the QWERTY keyboard in the remote...hmmmmmm?
Of course, that would bring back using two remotes instead of just the Harmony. This is getting to be a tougher decision.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #5172
donnoh

Quote:
Let's see $120 or so to upgrade my TiVo HD or $300 for the new HD Premier with 1Tb and the QWERTY keyboard in the remote...hmmmmmm?
Of course, that would bring back using two remotes instead of just the Harmony. This is getting to be a tougher decision.
I think your numbers are off a bit. The $300 Premier comes with a 320 Gig drive, for the 1 TB drive you have to get the XL for $500. Also the qwerty keyboard remote is additional and isn't available yet, when who knows.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #5173
bciocco

Too good to be true.
The plus side is that it looks like the new remote will work with the TiVo HD.

Back on topic. Is there a recommended drive that will work "out of the box" without needing to do the WD Intellipark or Hitachi AAC mod?

Last edited by bciocco : 03-06-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #5174
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt100 View Post
The hardware being a PC that can be opened up?
Correct, and that has a SATA controller. My only desktop is ancient and only has a PATA controller. I could have added a SATA controller to it (PCI SATA cards are <$20), if that would work. However, it doesn't have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse, either. I just use it as NAS and log in with VNC for admin, but that's kludgy, as it only has a 10b/t network card (not the best machine for NAS, either). My main computers are my newer laptop and netbooks. The Hitatchi just was the easier route. The prices are about the same for both drives.
justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #5175
richsadams

Quote:
Yep, I'm headed down that road myself (although the keyboard remote will be additional). I will probably get a Premiere XL...which really surprised me, but the numbers play out because of the upgrade packages TiVo is currently offering as well as a discount currently being offered via fatwallet.com. Here's the thread about saving a good deal of money:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=444176

And here's my post about my rational for buying something shiny and new (when I really don't need it ):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...43#post7812043

Shiny stuff...very distracting. But I have to admit, although I was a little dissapointed with what TiVo announced, for about $350 I can get a brand new TiVo Premiere XL (1TB) with some additional bells and whistles. That's almost reasonable and only about $25 or $30 more than if I upgraded the basic model myself. If I can get a few bucks for one of my existing TiVo's w/1TB hard drive that brings the cost down a bit more. At least I'll have a less difficult time justifying it to the wife than I did when the original Series3 hit the streets for $700!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #5176
richsadams

Quote:
Back on topic. Is there a recommended drive that will work "out of the box" without needing to do the WD Intellipark or Hitachi AAC mod?
The 1TB Seagate Pipeline (ST31000322CS) or a Seagate Pipeline Pro (ST31000533CS) drive line doesn't require any modifications. (Stay far away from the 1.5TB Pipeline drives though...terrible track record for some reason.) The standard Pipeline is going for about $100 and the Pros are going for about $110 to $140 right now (both a little more spendy than the WD or Hitachi).

I haven't tried one myself and they are fairly new but they are DVR dedicated drives and reported to run quiet and cool. Here's a review of the new Pro line:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/seagate-pipeline-1tb
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #5177
alyssa

Quote:
Shiny stuff...very distracting. But I have to admit, although I was a little dissapointed with what TiVo announced, for about $350 I can get a brand new TiVo Premiere XL (1TB) with some additional bells and whistles. That's almost reasonable and only about $25 or $30 more than if I upgraded the basic model myself.
I'm guessing (wildly without facts) that the S4's will able to accept a branded external via plug&play eventually.
Any thoughts about a way to marry a non-branded external to the XL HD? Should it be possible? if the architecture hasn't change drastically?
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #5178
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
I'm guessing (wildly without facts) that the S4's will able to accept a branded external via plug&play eventually.
Any thoughts about a way to marry a non-branded external to the XL HD? Should it be possible? if the architecture hasn't change drastically?
If you go through the order process on the TiVo website you can add a WD My DVR Expander to a TiVo Premiere order. It's almost a certainty that the Premieres will employ a "closed" system just like the TiVo HD when it comes to plug and pray expansion. The lifetime track record for the 500GB WD My DVR Expanders is pretty appalling. No idea if the 1TB models will follow suit.

It'll be up to Spike (MFSLive.org) to tear into a new Premiere HDD to see what (if anything) has been changed with the OS architecture. I'd guess winMFS will work to marry an "unsupported" external drive or that he'll tweak the program to fit, but only time will tell.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #5179
dt100

Quote:
Most retailers are now selling the WDEARS models though...which seem to work fine as well but may need the AAM tuned to 128 (although I hear they are very quiet already - no pun intended).
Happy upgrading!
- I thought I read that the EARS version of the WD drives should not be used in a Tivo. Can they? I was doing my final price check before ordering, and I noticed that the 1.5TB size of the EARS drive is only a few bucks more than the 1 TB size. Thanks
Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #5180
S3-2501

Quote:
The 1TB Seagate Pipeline (ST31000322CS) or a Seagate Pipeline Pro (ST31000533CS) drive line doesn't require any modifications.
bciocco: FYI, I have the ST31000322CS in my TivoHD and it works fine, though the noise character is much deeper than the typical hard drive, and I had to use some anti-vibration materials to dampen/reduce the annoyance of the low-end noise. It's a faint rumbling or thumping sound, like a faint bass line. It's not really that loud, but the nature of the noise can be annoying in a very quiet environment.

Still, until WD releases a new dedicated AV drive without the Intellipark issue, this seems to be the only affordable option to do a hassle-free upgrade using a DVR-specific drive without any special pc connections or utilities (other than winmfs.)
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #5181
bciocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
bciocco: FYI, I have the ST31000322CS in my TivoHD and it works fine, though the noise character is much deeper than the typical hard drive, and I had to use some anti-vibration materials to dampen/reduce the annoyance of the low-end noise. It's a faint rumbling or thumping sound, like a faint bass line. It's not really that loud, but the nature of the noise can be annoying in a very quiet environment.

Still, until WD releases a new dedicated AV drive without the Intellipark issue, this seems to be the only affordable option to do a hassle-free upgrade using a DVR-specific drive without any special pc connections or utilities (other than winmfs.)
Thanks that's good info. It actually helps me lean more toward the Hitachi because a little figuring things out on the front end will pay off by making it quieter in the long run. I would rather have the drive be quiet than try to mask the noise.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #5182
justen_m

The AAM mod for the Hitatchi using HDDScan literally takes less than a minute. The drive is already hooked up, as you just restored your original backup to it. The program itself is a 1.7mb free download. So the entire download/install/run sequence might take 2 minutes, unless you are on dial-up. Pretty painless, as long as you do it _before_ you actually install the new drive in your Tivo.
justen_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #5183
richsadams

Quote:
- I thought I read that the EARS version of the WD drives should not be used in a Tivo. Can they? I was doing my final price check before ordering, and I noticed that the 1.5TB size of the EARS drive is only a few bucks more than the 1 TB size. Thanks
Well, that's a good question. I also read the same thing on the MFSLive.org Forum back in December or so. But IIRC there are several folks here that are using them without any issues. I don't have time, but you might want to do a quick search and see what you can find out...or maybe those folks will chime in.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #5184
dt100

Quote:
Well, that's a good question. I also read the same thing on the MFSLive.org Forum back in December or so. But IIRC there are several folks here that are using them without any issues. I don't have time, but you might want to do a quick search and see what you can find out...or maybe those folks will chime in.
Found it: "Members should avoid the Western Digital WDxxEARS, as they have a unique 4KB physical sector and the TiVo was designed for use on drives with a traditional 512 Byte physical sector." (From first post)
Old 03-07-2010, 02:56 AM   #5185
richsadams

Quote:
Found it: "Members should avoid the Western Digital WDxxEARS, as they have a unique 4KB physical sector and the TiVo was designed for use on drives with a traditional 512 Byte physical sector." (From first post)
So far two members have successfully upgraded their TiVo HD's with the WD10EARS drives:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23#post7720023

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...41#post7736641

The first member followed up about a week later saying that all is well.

It's been more than a month and we'd probably hear about any issues they had, but perhaps they will confirm things are still good?

However another member is having a problem with his upgrade. It would appear to be a bad sector issue on his original hard drive (he can't get it to fully copy a backup to his new WD10EARS drive) and nothing to do with the EARS model, but you never know.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...02#post7801302
Old 03-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #5186
rainbow

usb to sata/ide cable

Well, it appears to me that I might have bought the wrong thing to do up Series 3 internal drive upgrade.

I ordered the adapter a couple of wks ago. I finally received the 1T hard drive (WDEVCS) yesterday. I can't see any way of attaching this thiing to the HD. The box does say cable. The sales receipt does, however, say it is a 'cable adepter converter w/auto backup button full power supply.'

Does anyone have a link, or some words of wisdom, of how one is supposed to actually hook this up? There aren't any good instructions included on how this works...

I had planned to using my laptop to get the hard drive done (no desktops for me).

Guess I should have gone the way of a docking station instead. Very frustrating. I am fairly intuitive, but this thing doesn'tmake sense to me!

This is a photo of what I bought

link is here: http://www.amazon.com/Serial-ATA-Ada...000196&sr=8-13

Last edited by rainbow : 03-07-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: to add a photo link
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #5187
innocentfreak

Do you have a link to what you bought? Also does it connect to the drive or possible the IDE/Sata cable you would connect to the drive?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #5188
aaronwt
HD Addict

What manufature dates are OK for the WD 1TB green drives? I have some old ones I want to swap around before I start selling my TiVoHD units.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #5189
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Well, it appears to me that I might have bought the wrong thing to do up Series 3 internal drive upgrade.

I ordered the adapter a couple of wks ago. I finally received the 1T hard drive (WDEVCS) yesterday. I can't see any way of attaching this thiing to the HD. The box does say cable. The sales receipt does, however, say it is a 'cable adepter converter w/auto backup button full power supply.'

Does anyone have a link, or some words of wisdom, of how one is supposed to actually hook this up? There aren't any good instructions included on how this works...

I had planned to using my laptop to get the hard drive done (no desktops for me).

Guess I should have gone the way of a docking station instead. Very frustrating. I am fairly intuitive, but this thing doesn'tmake sense to me!

This is a photo of what I bought

link is here: http://www.amazon.com/Serial-ATA-Ada...000196&sr=8-13
You should have the power supply and a cable/adapter that will connect to the new SATA power connector. ALSO, you should have a cable with a USB on 1 end and another adapter to go to either an IDE or SATA connector on the new drive. In your case it will be the SATA signal connector.The AMAZON link shows all of this. To the RIGHT of the "backup button" is the SATA connector. You may need to use a short SATA to SATA cable to attach it to the new HD, but I think it, too, is supplied. In fact, it looks like that is what the cable is on the right of YOUR photo. I believe that the cable to the left of that is a converter for the output of the power supply. It may be an older IDE molex type connector and so you would use the short molex to sata PS converter.

Last edited by MPSAN : 03-07-2010 at 05:31 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #5190
fljoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

Let me try and help you here .. The Red SATA cable .. one end should be connected to your hard drive and the other end to the top portion of the SATA to USB adapter. Ther other multicolor cable is the power supply cable, Connect one end to your SATA hard drive and the other end to the power adapter cable end of the SATA to USB adapter. Now connect the USB cable of your adapter to your computer's USB port. Then connect the Power Supply cable of the SATA to USB adapter to a power supply outlet. This should install the necessary drivers on your computer for the adapter you bought and you should be good to prepare the drive for WinMFS.
fljoe is offline   Reply With Quote