TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #481
leeherman

As mentioned in a previous post, I went the "unsupported" route with my S3. I bought a WD 500 gigabyte drive and a Vantec NexStar 3 case. I used the cable supplied with the case.

I've been using the same type of case and a 300 gigabyte drive with my SA Explorer 8300HD without incident.

Anywhooo...I set up the drive on 11/21 and several days later started noticing skips and jumps in my recordings to the point of them being unwatchable. This also included stuff transferred from my S2. I spent the past two days copying stuff to my Tivo server and removed the drive from my S3 this evening.

With the drive removed, the S3 records and plays perfectly.

I'm wondering if anyone's experienced similar results with a non-supported setup. I figured it simply wouldn't be recognized if the cable was a problem, and I can't imagine the case or drive being the source of the problem.

What are the odds that the recommended SIIG cable will be the solution to my problem?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #482
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeherman View Post
What are the odds that the recommended SIIG cable will be the solution to my problem?
Not even a novice at this yet, but from everything I've read, the odds are pretty good!
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #483
richsadams

Quote:
...I set up the drive on 11/21 and several days later started noticing skips and jumps in my recordings to the point of them being unwatchable. This also included stuff transferred from my S2. I spent the past two days copying stuff to my Tivo server and removed the drive from my S3 this evening.

With the drive removed, the S3 records and plays perfectly.

I'm wondering if anyone's experienced similar results with a non-supported setup. I figured it simply wouldn't be recognized if the cable was a problem, and I can't imagine the case or drive being the source of the problem.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

LH
The eSATA cables have been the biggest issue all along. The recommended SIIG cable has resolved a number of headaches. Next were various drives and enclosures (mostly off-brand enclosures with bridge problems, non-cooling, etc.) The list of recommended drives and enclosures was narrowed down pretty quickly in the first 30 days or so back in May/June.

But again...eSATA cables can be a real problem for TiVo if they're not perfect and/or their connections are at all faulty.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #484
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
Not even a novice at this yet, but from everything I've read, the odds are pretty good!
See, you're a pro already!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #485
leeherman

Bodie and richsadams,

Thanks for your replies!

I just ordered the SIIG cable and will try it with the same case and drive. The same model of case worked fine with my Explorer 8300HD DVR, so I'd hope it would be fine for the S3. If problems persist then I'll order a recommended case.

G'day!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:14 AM   #486
richsadams

Quote:
Bodie and richsadams,

Thanks for your replies!

I just ordered the SIIG cable and will try it with the same case and drive. The same model of case worked fine with my Explorer 8300HD DVR, so I'd hope it would be fine for the S3. If problems persist then I'll order a recommended case.

G'day!

LH
Sounds good. No guarantee that a new cable will fix it, but it can't hurt.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #487
richsadams

WD 1TB eSATA $299

While in Costco today I noticed that they just started stocking a new WD 1TB My Book eSATA (and USB/Firewire) hard drive for $299:

Costco web site link.

Specs are here:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=357

Pics and details:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/fla...MyBook_Home_1C

That's a pretty good price and it should work via P&P on TiVo Series3 models (not P&P for TiVo HD however - see the first post on this thread) for more THD expansion info.

The box was in a blister pack and I couldn't tell if it comes with an eSATA cable or not but WD's web site indicates that it only comes w/USB and Firewire cables.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #488
Clentz

Costco WD 1TB My Book eSATA

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
While in Costco today I noticed that they just started stocking a new WD 1TB My Book eSATA (and USB/Firewire) hard drive for $299:

Costco web site link.

Specs are here:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=357

Pics and details:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/fla...MyBook_Home_1C

That's a pretty good price and it should work via P&P on TiVo Series3 models (not P&P for TiVo HD however - see the first post on this thread) for more THD expansion info.

The box was in a blister pack and I couldn't tell if it comes with an eSATA cable or not but WD's web site indicates that it only comes w/USB and Firewire cables.
I went down that path - It did not work. One of my computer parts suppliers added that internally the "Box" likely had two drives.

Carl
Clentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:07 PM   #489
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clentz View Post
One of my computer parts suppliers added that internally the "Box" likely had two drives.
That's a single drive unit.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #490
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...One of my computer parts suppliers added that internally the "Box" likely had two drives.
Very unlikely, especially since they now have a 1TB drive. To see what a dual drive enclosure looks like look at the World Edition II enclosure on the same Costco page above. The only purpose in a dual drive system is to gain capacity beyond what is easily obtainable. Hence the clearance prices on various dual-500GB 1TB enclosure systems.

As you also said, it still may not work, though, but if not it is not because it has two drives.

I just noticed that it has a Costco specific part number (as Costco often does). WDH1CS10000N is generic version. WDH1CS10000CN is the Costco version. Typically such special models are functionally identical.

Costo is also cheaper than NewEgg WDH1CS10000N

Last edited by jlib : 12-03-2007 at 11:56 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #491
richsadams

Quote:
I went down that path - It did not work. One of my computer parts suppliers added that internally the "Box" likely had two drives.

Carl
You should send your "computer parts supplier" the specs. Then tell him to keep his day job. It is a single drive unit.

AFAIK there's no reason that it would not work on a Series3.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #492
Clentz

Quote:
You should send your "computer parts supplier" the specs. Then tell him to keep his day job. It is a single drive unit.

AFAIK there's no reason that it would not work on a Series3.
Except it didn't. I ended up with an hitachi.

Carl
Clentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #493
richsadams

Quote:
Except it didn't. I ended up with an hitachi.

Carl
Um...what didn't?

Are you saying that you purchased the referenced WD HDD, connected it to your Series3 TiVo and it did not work?

AFAIK Hitachi doesn't make a comparable, stand-alone eSATA drive to date, but if so, can you provide a link?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #494
Burt Spielman

Upgrading TiVoS3 from 750GB Seagate DB35 to 1TB Seagate 7200.11

I'm in the midst of performing this upgrade, with the intention of adding an additional Seagate 1TB drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure as an external drive. I'm using the instructions in III,9 and III,10 of the FAQ, for which, by the way, I thank all involved.

Here's my question: On the originally installed 750GB drive (purchased in an S3 upgraded by WeaKnees) and the new 1TB drives, there's a jumper setting permitting either "Limit to 1.5 Gb/s Operation" (jumper in place) or "3.0 Gb/s Operation" (jumper removed). The jumper is absent from the 750 GB drive. Can I assume I should remove the jumpers from both new 1TB drives?

TiVo Series 3 (1TB internal; 1TB external)
SAT-T60 DirecTiVo (retired except to view archived recordings)

Last edited by Burt Spielman : 12-01-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Burt Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #495
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Spielman View Post
I'm in the midst of performing this upgrade, with the intention of adding an additional Seagate 1TB drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure as an external drive. I'm using the instructions in III,9 and III,10 of the FAQ, for which, by the way, I thank all involved.

Here's my question: On the originally installed 750GB drive (purchased in an S3 upgraded by WeaKnees) and the new 1TB drives, there's a jumper setting permitting either "Limit to 1.5 Gb/s Operation" (jumper in place) or "3.0 Gb/s Operation" (jumper removed). The jumper is absent from the 750 GB drive. Can I assume I should remove the jumpers from both new 1TB drives?
Are there jumpers in place on the new drives? AFAIK, no, there shouldn't be any jumpers.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #496
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Are there jumpers in place on the new drives? AFAIK, no, there shouldn't be any jumpers.
OK, I removed the jumpers, but I'm in trouble at the moment. I ran WinMFS, following the instructions in FAQ III,9. It took about 45 minutes for the backup to complete. Mfsadd, however, was almost instantaneous. Is this normal?

Before marrying the external drive, I decided to temporarily install the new 1TB drive into the TiVo S3. I get the "Powering Up" screen, then the TiVo symbol on the S3's front panel extinguishes and the TV screen becomes (and remains) gray. I powered the TiVo up a few times with no change.

I reinstalled the original 750GB drive, and the TiVo powers up OK, but I get an "External Storage Missing" screen, which invites me hit Clear if I don't wish to use an external device. Of course, thus far, there is no external device. But, when I hit Clear, the TiVo cautions that I will lose most or all of my Now Playing List recordings if I continue. This is precisely what I don't want! What has happened?

I see on the WinMFS website that the truncated backup does not include my recordings (as I would expect, given the time it took to create the backup), so I'm supposing that I don't want to restore to the 750GB from the backup file.

Should I simply run the backup again? When I reconnect everything to the PC and run WinMFS again, it reports that the two drives are now married, and that I cannot select one without the other (not that I would want to). It also reports that the 1TB drive is a TiVo format drive. Is this what I should expect. I thought III,9 had to do with just expanding the original upgraded drive. I haven't performed III,10 yet, which I thought had to do with marrying the new external 1TB drive to the newly upgraded internal 1TB drive. Why does it report that the 750 and the first 1TB are married?

And, again, was the time to execute mfsadd normal? I'd appreciate guidance here, in order not to lose prior recordings.

Last edited by Burt Spielman : 12-01-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #497
richsadams

Ouch! I have to step back regarding the WinMFS questions as I've only used the Linux boot disk method for mods.

However, if you're saying that you never had an external drive connected, you shouldn't lose any of your recordings. Only the recordings made after connecting an external drive are lost when it is divorced.

That the message came up at all (if you never had an external drive) is curious though.

Hopefully someone familar with using WinMFS can assist with the other issues.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #498
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Ouch! I have to step back regarding the WinMFS questions as I've only used the Linux boot disk method for mods.

However, if you're saying that you never had an external drive connected, you shouldn't lose any of your recordings. Only the recordings made after connecting an external drive are lost when it is divorced.

That the message came up at all (if you never had an external drive) is curious though.

Hopefully someone familar with using WinMFS can assist with the other issues.
Thanks, Rich. I decided to trust your expertise, and I proceeded to divorce the (phantom) external drive. (On the TiVo, CLEAR, then three thumbs down, then enter. It took several minutes, as indicated beforehand by the TiVo.) As you suggested, my original recording survive on the 750GB drive.

Now, I think I'm back where I started (other than that the 1TB drive has been formatted).

So, my question has to do with the original WinMFS FAQ, particularly III,9. Is this method meant for previously upgraded internal drives (recall that my S3 was upgraded to 750GB when I bought it)? Or should I be using WinMFS first to copy the contents of the 750GB drive to the new 1TB drive (to preserve recordings), then proceed with III,10.

I think some clarification is needed in the FAQ on this issue. III,9 isn't clear on whether it applies to previously upgraded drives. I don't see where the recordings are copied to the new, larger drive before it's married to the second drive. Am I missing something here?

Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #499
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks, Rich. I decided to trust your expertise, and I proceeded to divorce the (phantom) external drive. (On the TiVo, CLEAR, then three thumbs down, then enter. It took several minutes, as indicated beforehand by the TiVo.) As you suggested, my original recording survive on the 750GB drive.

Now, I think I'm back where I started (other than that the 1TB drive has been formatted).

So, my question has to do with the original WinMFS FAQ, particularly III,9. Is this method meant for previously upgraded internal drives (recall that my S3 was upgraded to 750GB when I bought it)? Or should I be using WinMFS first to copy the contents of the 750GB drive to the new 1TB drive (to preserve recordings), then proceed with III,10.

I think some clarification is needed in the FAQ on this issue. III,9 isn't clear on whether it applies to previously upgraded drives. I don't see where the recordings are copied to the new, larger drive before it's married to the second drive. Am I missing something here?
Glad to hear everything is back to normal...for now anyway.

You are correct; there are different procedures for upgrading from an existing upgraded drive. There are several people here that can answer your questions with some authority, but I'm not one of them. I could hazard a guess but I'd hate to be wrong. Spike (who is the author of MFSLive) and bkdtv , the author of the original post on this thread, are the experts.

You might check in at the MFSLive forum as well.

Best of luck...oh, and be very careful about who you put your trust in around these parts.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #500
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I just saw this review of the My Expander http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000530

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #501
lrhorer

Drive Expansion

Quote:
OK, I removed the jumpers, but I'm in trouble at the moment. I ran WinMFS, following the instructions in FAQ III,9. It took about 45 minutes for the backup to complete. Mfsadd, however, was almost instantaneous. Is this normal?
Yes. All Mfsadd is doing is partitioning the drives, which only takes milliseconds.

Quote:
Before marrying the external drive, I decided to temporarily install the new 1TB drive into the TiVo S3. I get the "Powering Up" screen, then the TiVo symbol on the S3's front panel extinguishes and the TV screen becomes (and remains) gray. I powered the TiVo up a few times with no change.
That's normal. It doesn't know what to do about the second drive.

Quote:
I reinstalled the original 750GB drive, and the TiVo powers up OK, but I get an "External Storage Missing" screen, which invites me hit Clear if I don't wish to use an external device. Of course, thus far, there is no external device. But, when I hit Clear, the TiVo cautions that I will lose most or all of my Now Playing List recordings if I continue. This is precisely what I don't want! What has happened?
What has happened is exactly what you did. You powered up the TiVo with a missing hard drive. Since it cannot find the second drive, the TiVo has only two options: either stop or repartition the system to use only a single drive. Rather than making the decision itself, the TiVo (wisely) leaves it up to you. Had you simply shut down the TiVo and plugged in the external drive, you would have been fine. As it is, you have to re-do the marriage.

Quote:
Should I simply run the backup again?
That's safest.

Quote:
When I reconnect everything to the PC and run WinMFS again, it reports that the two drives are now married, and that I cannot select one without the other (not that I would want to). It also reports that the 1TB drive is a TiVo format drive. Is this what I should expect.
It's not surprising. You may need to wipe the drive partition on the external drive. Having one of the pair being married and the other divorced is confusing WinMFS.

Quote:
I thought III,9 had to do with just expanding the original upgraded drive. I haven't performed III,10 yet, which I thought had to do with marrying the new external 1TB drive to the newly upgraded internal 1TB drive. Why does it report that the 750 and the first 1TB are married?
You ran mfsadd. As far as the second drive is concerned, it is married. The first drive was divorced, however, without the second one's participation.

Quote:
And, again, was the time to execute mfsadd normal? I'd appreciate guidance here, in order not to lose prior recordings.
You should not have divorced the drive. You should have simply plugged the external drive into the TiVo. It's possible running mfsadd again will fix the situation, but you may need to repartition the second drive, first.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #502
lrhorer

Adding a drive

Quote:
Yeah, apparently the fact there is no point in copying anything to anything if all you are doing is adding an external drive. Why would you copy the contents of the internal drive to the external drive? If you are replacing the internal drive with a larger internal drive, then why would you marry them? Marriage is only for adding a second drive. If you are replacing the internal drive with a larger drive and adding an external drive, then I suggest you do the copy first, make sure it's all working and then marry the external drive.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #503
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...I think some clarification is needed in the FAQ on this issue. III,9 isn't clear on whether it applies to previously upgraded drives. I don't see where the recordings are copied to the new, larger drive before it's married to the second drive. Am I missing something here?
Indeed, since you are both upgrading your internal drive to 1TB and adding an external 1TB drive the FAQ misses the copy part for upgrading the internal drive. Should be step 6. The backup is just an optional step in case something goes very wrong. So, basically all you did was make a truncated backup to your harddrive. It is not clear how you married the new internal drive to your original. Maybe mfsadd when used on a blank drive does that? Now that you have successfully divorced it just do a copy before the add and everything should be fine. Test it if you want and then marry your new external drive to your new internal drive.

edit: Yes, mfsadd does both the increase the partitions function and the marrying function.

Last edited by jlib : 12-01-2007 at 04:08 PM.
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #504
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Indeed, since you are upgrading your internal drive to 1TB and and adding and external 1TB drive the FAQ misses the copy part for upgrading the internal drive. Should be step 6. The backup is just an optional step in case something goes very wrong. So, basically all you did was make a truncated backup to your harddrive. It is not clear how you married the new drive to your original. Maybe mfsadd when used on a blank drive does that? Now that you have successfully divorced it just do a copy before the add and everything should be fine. Test it if you want and then marry your new external drive to your new internal drive.
I'm now in the midst of doing just that, copying the contents of the 750GB drive to the 1TB drive. As you suggest, I'll test the 1TB drive in the S3 before running mfsadd to marry the newly created 1TB internal drive to the other (as yet untouched) 1TB drive to be mounted in the Antec case.

There is, then, clearly an error in the FAQ, or at least an omission.

It's not clear to me either how I married the 1TB to the 750GB, but I'm happy I was able to undo it. (Just noted your edit; mfsadd must have been the culprit!)

Right now the PC is reporting WinMFS as "not responding," but the indicator lights on the USB-to-SATA adapters are blinking away just as they did before "not responding" showed up. Whether I'll be able to tell the copying has completed is an open question. Oh, how I wish there were a Mac-native version of all of this. I dread the unpredictability of Windows ("not responding" when it actually is, I think) every time I'm forced to use it.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #505
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yeah, apparently the fact there is no point in copying anything to anything if all you are doing is adding an external drive.
The original question was not exactly clear regarding what he was attempting to do (upgrading the internal and adding an external). But in his case, the FAQ is missing the copy step for upgrading the internal drive.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #506
Burt Spielman

Quote:
The original question was not exactly clear regarding what he was attempting to do (upgrading the internal and adding an external). But in his case, the FAQ is missing the copy step for upgrading the internal drive.
Well, in my own defense, I thought I asked clearly: "I'm in the midst of performing this upgrade, with the intention of adding an additional Seagate 1TB drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure as an external drive. I'm using the instructions in III,9 and III,10 of the FAQ, for which, by the way, I thank all involved." (Boldface added.)

Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #507
bkdtv

Quote:
Thank you for catching that. While editing that FAQ question, I accidentally removed the line for mfscopy.

Fixed.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #508
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Well, in my own defense, I thought I asked clearly: "I'm in the midst of performing this upgrade, with the intention of adding an additional Seagate 1TB drive in an Antec MX-1 enclosure as an external drive. I'm using the instructions in III,9 and III,10 of the FAQ, for which, by the way, I thank all involved." (Boldface added.)
Yeah, don't worry about it. No big deal. We got it straightened out. I was just letting lhorer know that I, too, initially didn't catch that you were adding an internal drive, too. This is the eSATA expansion drive thread so that is mainly what people have on their minds.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #509
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Thank you for catching that. While editing that FAQ question, I accidentally removed the line for mfscopy.

Fixed.
Thanks, bkdtv! Happy to have (inadvertently!) helped to correct the FAQ!

I've terminated the mfscopy (because I couldn't see what was going on), and I've now restarted it with the Windows screensaver turned off.

This has turned into a much longer project than I expected, but I genuinely appreciate the prompt responses my fellow posters here.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #510
Burt Spielman

Quote:
Yeah, don't worry about it. No big deal. We got it straightened out. I was just letting lhorer know that I, too, initially didn't catch that you were adding an internal drive, too. This is the eSATA expansion drive thread so that is mainly what people have on their minds.
No problem here either. As I mentioned in my reply to bkdtv, thanks for your prompt responses.