TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #4981
Tivogre

I understand this. However, it is my understanding that "the dude" MODIFIED a stock partition lay out for a THD image so that it COULD be expanded to use 1.5 or 2TB drives (which he sells).

I can see no reason, given a working drive, why an image of one of these modified drives could not be taken and used by others to restore / expand.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #4982
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
I understand this. However, it is my understanding that "the dude" MODIFIED a stock partition lay out for a THD image so that it COULD be expanded to use 1.5 or 2TB drives (which he sells).

I can see no reason, given a working drive, why an image of one of these modified drives could not be taken and used by others to restore / expand.
I agree - are you volunteering to modify WinMFS?

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #4983
Tivogre

That's what I'm asking... why do you believe that WIN MFS would NEED to be modified, given a base DRIVE (image) that has been modified.

I am certain that WIN MFS, as it exists, WILL work with a modified THD image, and allow the use of 1.5 or 2TB drives.

It is just a matter of having an image with the correct partition lay-out to start with.
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #4984
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
That's what I'm asking... why do you believe that WIN MFS would NEED to be modified, given a base DRIVE (image) that has been modified.

I am certain that WIN MFS, as it exists, WILL work with a modified THD image, and allow the use of 1.5 or 2TB drives.

It is just a matter of having an image with the correct partition lay-out to start with.
Because the truncated backup will only backup bootpage, active boot, root partitions, mfs application partitions and media partitions necessary to boot the box (copied from mfslive.org) I believe the "dude" adds additional partitions that won't get copied in a truncated backup.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 02-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #4985
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
The "dude" doesn't charge an unreasonable premium for his drives, BTW. Just thought I'd throw that out there ...
Saaaayyyy...you wouldn't be "The Dude" in disguise would you?

BTW, +1 on the reasonable pricing for a 2TB drive.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #4986
Efranzen

Is the Seagate 500gb ST3500414CS still available? I don't see any online resellers that sell it, and the Seagate website doesn't list any resellers for that model.
Efranzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #4987
ADG
Allan

It doesn't appear to be available, but the ST3500312CS is (I purchased one from Amazon last month).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #4988
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
It doesn't appear to be available, but the ST3500312CS is (I purchased one from Amazon last month).
Can you comment on the noise?

ST3500321CS - 2 platter, 8mb cache
ST3500312CS - 1 platter, 8mb cache
ST3500414CS - 1 platter, 16mb cache

Both the 312CS and 414CS are single platter, 5756rpm drives, so you wouldn't think there'd be much difference.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #4989
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Can you comment on the noise?

ST3500321CS - 2 platter, 8mb cache
ST3500312CS - 1 platter, 8mb cache
ST3500414CS - 1 platter, 16mb cache

Both the 312CS and 414CS are single platter, 5756rpm drives, so you wouldn't think there'd be much difference.
I'm sorry, I can't. I purchased the drive when I thought I needed to replace a 3 month old WD in one of my S3's, but it turned out I simply needed to disable Intellipark. I am keeping the Seagate as a backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #4990
kevinbuckeye

I purchased the ST3500312C, so once it arrives and I do the upgrade I will comment about noise. If it is similar to the original drive I will be very happy.
kevinbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #4991
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbuckeye View Post
I purchased the ST3500312C, so once it arrives and I do the upgrade I will comment about noise. If it is similar to the original drive I will be very happy.
I can't imagine it will be an issue.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #4992
Efranzen

The first compatible drive listed is the Hitachi Deskstar HD31000. Is that this drive from Newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145287

Any known issues upgrading that drive with an e-sata -> USB cable?
Efranzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #4993
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efranzen View Post
The first compatible drive listed is the Hitachi Deskstar HD31000. Is that this drive from Newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145287

Any known issues upgrading that drive with an e-sata -> USB cable?
Yes, that's the one...good price too. It would behave the same as any other drive when performing an upgrade. Although the drive is pretty quiet out of the box, per Section IV, #32 of the FAQ I would run hddscan for windows to tune the AAM to 128 to make it as quiet as possible.

Happy upgrading!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #4994
wdwms

My S3 history:

250gb with winmfs to 500gb; then 500gb to 1TB. On the last one (which was a truncated backup/restore) I keep getting:

"Sorry! MfsSupersize failed!"

Any ideas on this guys? My Tivo HD worked fine going from the original 160gb to a 1TB; that now shows 157 hours; but the S3 is stuck at 134 hours of HD

-t
wdwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #4995
Kevin R

Upgrading cable service to HD, so need to do the 1T upgrade.
Was al little down after reading all the recommended WD drives dropping like flys.
From read the post though, am I correct to assume that if I buy a current WD10EADS, or WD10EVDS and use wdidle3 to turn of intellipark, and then use winmfs to transfer everything, I should be fine?
Also, I have limited drive connections in my PC. I always see it recommended todo a back up of the old drive, then put both drives in and copy.
Can I just do the back up, and then load it, rather than having to have room for both drives and the windows drive?

Thanks much.
Kevin R
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #4996
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
Was al little down after reading all the recommended WD drives dropping like flys.
From read the post though, am I correct to assume that if I buy a current WD10EADS, or WD10EVDS and use wdidle3 to turn of intellipark, and then use winmfs to transfer everything, I should be fine?
Also, I have limited drive connections in my PC. I always see it recommended todo a back up of the old drive, then put both drives in and copy.
Can I just do the back up, and then load it, rather than having to have room for both drives and the windows drive?

Thanks much.
Kevin R
Yes, if you run wididle3 on newer WD drives to disable the Intellipark "feature" everything should be fine.

Do you want to keep your current recordings? If not, you only need one drive connected at a time. Your truncated backup includes all of the OS/critical info (cable card, Season Passes, etc.) but not any recordings. Basically you connect the TiVo drive, run winMFS and complete the backup (only takes a few minutes at most). Disconnect the TiVo drive, connect your new drive and image it with the backup (a few more minutes). Done!

If you want to copy everything including your recordings you'll need to have both the original TiVo and your new drive connected (along with your Windows drive). Most PC's have several open SATA connections. If you're still limited to one and you have a SATA optical drive (DVD or CD) you can use those connections. Worst case you can connect one via SATA and the other via a USB to SATA adapter or dock. Have a read through the first post and you should be able to figure out a way that will work for you, but if not, feel free to post more details.

Either way, be sure to follow all of the directions carefully and you'll be enjoying your "new" TiVo in no time.

Happy upgrading!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #4997
MPSAN

Quote:

Thanks much.
Kevin R
...and do not forget, no matter which method you use to turn off anti virus programs in the PC and before removing the TiVo drive, delete all shows in the deleted folder!!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #4998
Kevin R

Thanks for the confidence boosting help.
I am just waiting for Comcast to come next week with the cablecards so they will be on the old drive and the new one.
I was going to do both the OS and shows, but have decided I have it low enough to just transfer the ones that are left to the PC before doing the upgrade.
That way it will take less time, and I can do it with only one extra SATA connection.

I have an older P4 board that has 4 SATA connections, but 2 are off the intel chip, and 2 are off a promise chip set for RAID. Never have had much luck with that turned on and some drives running through the promis and others the intel, so I just disabled it.
Really don't want to have to spend days trying to iron out the issues with a SATA first gen board, just to run a few minutes of drive setup for the TIVO if at all possible.

Any preference between the EADS and EVDS?

Thanks again,

Kevin R
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #4999
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the confidence boosting help.
I am just waiting for Comcast to come next week with the cablecards so they will be on the old drive and the new one.
I was going to do both the OS and shows, but have decided I have it low enough to just transfer the ones that are left to the PC before doing the upgrade.
That way it will take less time, and I can do it with only one extra SATA connection.

I have an older P4 board that has 4 SATA connections, but 2 are off the intel chip, and 2 are off a promise chip set for RAID. Never have had much luck with that turned on and some drives running through the promis and others the intel, so I just disabled it.
Really don't want to have to spend days trying to iron out the issues with a SATA first gen board, just to run a few minutes of drive setup for the TIVO if at all possible.

Any preference between the EADS and EVDS?

Thanks again,

Kevin R
IIRC the EVDS was was A/V dedicated and the acoustic specs were a little lower (quieter). Either would suit though...you can always tune the EADS to the lower AAM setting per the first post.

The whole upgrade process looks a bit complicated but that's only because Spike and bkdtv have taken the time to spell out every last detail. Once you do it you'll find it to be quite simple.

BTW, good points by MPSAN about deleting anything in the Recently Deleted folder if you're going to copy all of your recordings over. If you're not (and it doesn't sound like you are), don't worry about deleting anything.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #5000
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Count me as another whose WD MyDVR 500gb Expander failed (connected to a TiVO HD). It's under limited warranty, but all WD will do is replace it, and I'm not sure that's what I want to do. I may slap a larger internal drive in it, but with an S3 that holds 107 HD hours, I can usually transfer shows as the HD gets full.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #5001
trameltanz

Gentlemen, I have fought back and forth on whether to upgrade my TIVO HD but finally bit the bullet, took apart my Seagate external 1TB HDD, and went for it last night. THANKFULLY I listened to the warnings about "mounting" the original HDD in Windows. I was using Windows7. PLEASE READ the instructions because after a couple of failed attempts in Windows7 I noticed that WinMFS will only work in WinXP SP2/SP3.

I installed a single HDD in my computer and took twenty minutes to install XP SP2. I did not install any drivers and fresh off of the first boot I ran WinMFS and the original TIVO HDD was recognized. I then proceeded to run my backups first. After successful backups I ran the MfsCopy. I did miss the step to make the NEW HDD the primary or "A" but my system booted as if it was straight out of the box.

All features worked but the network configs. I had to verify my network settings and connect to the TIVO network.

one word about this TIVO forum and source of information:

!~AWESOME~!

thank you guys SO much for making yourselves available

The result of this is that I can travel and be busy but STILL record ~129 HOURS of the Olympics! I LOVE it!

Last edited by trameltanz : 02-19-2010 at 08:56 AM.
trameltanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #5002
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trameltanz View Post
I noticed that WinMFS will only work in WinXP SP2/SP3.
Not true. It works fine on Windows 7 as long as you run WinMFS as Administrator. However, congratulations. Enjoy!

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #5003
trameltanz

Seriously? I saw the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR instruction but was too stubborn...

My regular ID is in the local admin group. Sounds like I should have tried the local ADMINISTRATOR account. One click and a few taps saves time over an XP install.

I had another motivator though; my version of Win7 is an eval and runs out in a few days.

Do I NEED to make the new disk the "A"? My reasoning was it should be A only if I plan to plug in an external/expansion drive.
trameltanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #5004
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trameltanz View Post
Seriously? I saw the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR instruction but was too stubborn...

My regular ID is in the local admin group. Sounds like I should have tried the local ADMINISTRATOR account. One click and a few taps saves time over an XP install.

I had another motivator though; my version of Win7 is an eval and runs out in a few days.

Do I NEED to make the new disk the "A"? My reasoning was it should be A only if I plan to plug in an external/expansion drive.
Yes, seriously. Being a member of the Admin group doesn't provide elevated priviliges as does "Run as Administrator"

And, no, The new disk doesn't need to be 'A".

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 02-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #5005
bldr85

I have Tivo HD and want to add 1TB Fantom G-Force Greendrive external drive using a Tripp-Lite 11 esata cable. I followed steps #10 & 11 but keep getting the message regarding an unsupported device. Any suggestions on how to hook up is greatly appreciated.
bldr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #5006
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldr85 View Post
I have Tivo HD and want to add 1TB Fantom G-Force Greendrive external drive using a Tripp-Lite 11 esata cable. I followed steps #10 & 11 but keep getting the message regarding an unsupported device. Any suggestions on how to hook up is greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. It's noted clearly in the first post that the only eSATA drive that can be connected to the TiVo HD via plug and play is Western Digital's My DVR Expander.

You can connect an unsupported drive (like the Fantom) but it requires pulling the TiVo drive, connecting both to a PC and marrying them together using winMFS. Since the drive has to be removed anyway, most folks opt to simply upgrade TiVo's internal hard drive and put the original on the shelf as a backup.

Make sure you read through the entire post so you can understand everything you need to know.

Hope that didn't ruin your day...but if you decide to upgrade...happy upgrading!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #5007
chestnu1

Whats the difference?

Hey guys I am on the verge of upgrading the internal drive in my Tivo HD and I am in the process of getting everything I need to do it together. I have downloaded WinMFS and just bought a vantec sata usb adapter from amazon the only thing left is to pick a drive. I want to go with one of the western digital green 1TB drives (yes I know about that darn intellipark issue). Is there one in particular that is better then the rest? I was thinking about the WD10EVVS but I thought I should get some feedback before I order does anyone have any suggestions.
chestnu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #5008
jlib
Lean Forward

If you understand and can work around the IntelliPark issue then you can shop on price (and noise level) for any of the drives on the recommended list or any drives that once were on the list that are affected by it. There are no performance differences.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #5009
chestnu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
If you understand and can work around the IntelliPark issue then you can shop on price (and noise level) for any of the drives on the recommended list or any drives that once were on the list that are affected by it. There are no performance differences.
Thank you for your quick response I keep that in mind.
chestnu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #5010
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post
Hey guys I am on the verge of upgrading the internal drive in my Tivo HD and I am in the process of getting everything I need to do it together. ,snip>
What jlib said and I'll add that the WD10EVVS is an A/V dedicated drive and would be as quiet as any available.

Happy upgrading!