TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 AM   #4651
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmurphy View Post
Hi all, last week I contacted WD support re my drive asking if it had intellipark and if I could have a copy of wdidle3. Here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is *******.

This hard drive does have the Intellipark functionality. I apologize but the wdidle3 is not an application we have available for download.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further."

Sincerely,
IIRC someone here said that wdidle3.exe is in fact on their website. Folks here (including yours truly) have had less than satisfactory results trying to get answers out of WD...if they answer at all. No need to block out the WD CSR's name. Just a wild guess...it's Raul, Paulo or some variation correct?

BTW, happy upgrading and if you have time, can you post a pic or two of your System Information and maybe Now Playing screens when you're done? I'm curious to see what an Aussie TiVo screen looks like. When we lived in NZ we hacked a Series1 and it worked like a charm, but now that they have TiVo in AU and NZ, it would be nice to get a feel for what our southern cousins are seeing. TIA.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #4652
uTivo

I see New Egg is running a sale on the Seagate Barracuda 750GB model ST3750528AS which is a la 7200.12 series. From reading this thread, the Seagate's can't be AAM modified, but the spec'd value of 2.7 bels for seek seems acceptable to most. Anybody using this HDD series in a S3? TIA!
uTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #4653
Scott NY

Question Mac power user scared to pull the trigger

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster (in this thread) and very much appreciate all of the really valuable information in this forum.

I'm a fairly technical power user who is just scared to death of screwing this up and losing my TiVo for more than a few hours. I am having a devil of a time pulling the trigger on this. I should also note that I am frugal and want to spend as little money to do this as possible.

I have a 2 year old TiVoHD that I am looking to upgrade to a 1 TB drive. I keep hesitating on buying because either the price of a drive I am looking at goes up or an Intellipark issue is found in a recommended model or I become too scared I'll get a drive that'll fail or sweeps begins and our TiVo is too full to copy everything over in a reasonable timeframe without losing many hours of valuable TV watching time, etc. I would want to copy all settings and recordings, and because my wife and I watch so much TV, I'd want to do it in as short a timeframe as possible so we would have no significant downtime.

I've been very carefully reading all of the posts here and I think I am fairly comfortable buying one of a few recommended drives, even if I have to tweak some settings on the drive.

However, I am a Mac user with a Power Mac G5 (which I can't use for the upgrade if I have read everything right) and a 3+ year old MacBook Pro with almost no available disk space (though I have an external USB drive I can use for extra space if needed). I have a Mac Pro at work but my boss won't let me use it for this purpose (unless it's super easy and I can do it without him knowing - he does have vacation time coming up next month).

So, can I use the MacBook Pro to do the upgrade? If so, what would I need? My guess is I would need an external SATA enclosure or converter that connects via USB or FireWire to the MacBook Pro, Boot Camp running Windows XP (got that already) and a bootable copy of that wdidle3 program that boots on Macs (I tried to get it from this post: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...51#post7656451 but I got this message: "This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times. This limit is reached."). Then I would need to connect the old TiVo drive, copy everything over to my external USB drive, then connect the new drive (and tweak as needed) and copy everything back from my external USB drive, right?

Will that setup even work on a MacBook Pro? It seems frighteningly convoluted, even for a power user (and I'd have to buy the adapter, too - remember I am chea... I mean frugal). Is there an easier way to do it other than finding new friends who might have a PC with two free SATA ports inside?

Anyone on this forum live in Long Island who wants to help out one weekend for a few hours? :-)

Any help or advice would be very welcome. TIA.

-Scott
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #4654
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTivo View Post
I see New Egg is running a sale on the Seagate Barracuda 750GB model ST3750528AS which is a la 7200.12 series. From reading this thread, the Seagate's can't be AAM modified, but the spec'd value of 2.7 bels for seek seems acceptable to most. Anybody using this HDD series in a S3? TIA!
I'd just like to point out once again how disappointed I am in the ST31500541AS drive that I'm using. According to its specs, it is 2.5-2.6 bels, and yet it was much too loud for my bedroom, and it's even a little annoying in the family room. It is many, many times louder than the WD10EADS drive (which I can't hear at all) in my other S3.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #4655
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
I'd just like to point out once again how disappointed I am in the ST31500541AS drive that I'm using. According to its specs, it is 2.5-2.6 bels, and yet it was much too loud for my bedroom, and it's even a little annoying in the family room. It is many, many times louder than the WD10EADS drive (which I can't hear at all) in my other S3.
Do you hear any noise when it is idle (just recording the buffer?) Or only when it is recording? The reason I ask, is that I noticed that there is some pretty noticeable vibration going on with my Seagate Pipeline when both tuners are actively recording. It is not noticeable from accross the room, but I can actually feel the vibration on the side of the TiVo. I do not hear any head seeking noise like I've heard on many drives. So, is it possible you could add some rubber grommets to dull the vibration "if" that is in fact the noise you are noticing? Or do you think it is the head seeking?
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #4656
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
It is just not your week is it? There is a shortcoming in the user interface programming on WinMFS wherein if you linger for just an instant too long when clicking on the previous popup to the one you did not see, you will actually bring to the fore the main program screen exactly when the next popup pops up, thus hiding it. So, it was there all the time, you just did not notice it because it was in the background. Unfortunately, as you discovered, not clicking yes on that message will cause the upgrade to fail. There is no way to fix it except by redoing the whole process again.

I have now seen this problem 3 times [when upgrading with >1.0TB drives].

FAQ suggestion: In the part that mentions the above popup, make a note that if one does not see it then minimize the main program.
I updated the FAQ to reflect this.

If someone could take a screenshot of this dialog box the next time they do a 1+TB upgrade, that would be helpful. I'll link it in the FAQ.

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-18-2010 at 10:47 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #4657
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott NY View Post
I'm a fairly technical power user

However, I am a Mac user with a Power Mac G5
-Scott
SHAME on you calling yourself a Power User and still using a G5

Give up the IDEA of upgrading your TiVo

Borrow a PC from a Friend or at Work

FYI - I am a MAC POWER USER - have been since DAY-1
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #4658
pl1

Anyone looking for a good deal on the Seagate Pipeline ST31000322CS

Ebay item# 160394919147
Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #4659
JonS

My WD10EVDS is still working fine - apparently I snuck in just before the drive was updated with the Intellipark (mis)feature.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #4660
Scott NY

Since I use a Mac Pro all day at work and a MacBook Pro all night at home, there's no need to spend money (I did say I was frugal, right?) on buying a new tertiary computer that is essentially a media server. And I used to work for Apple, so I am allowed to consider myself a power user!

Seriously, though. There would seem to be a lot of synergy between Mac users and TiVo users, so I am a little surprised there is so little Mac support for things like this.
Scott NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #4661
qz3fwd

OK-so Seagates are problematic in Tivo's for some reason.
I guess I'll either get a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB or 2TB drive then.
Based on comments, I'll get the new S3, let it run for a week or 2 to make sure everything works, then upgrade the internal HDD using WinMFS.

Is the max 1.36 TB a limit of the kernel, or something stupid tivo restricted, or a WinMFS limit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Here are my recommendations:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...09#post7712809

The Seagate Pipeline drives appear to be doing very well. However I would stay away from Seagate 1.5TB drives. I know a few people here have had success with them, but for the most part they have had a terrible track record. I've had personal experience with two that I had to return.

FWIW, TiVo cannot take advantage of anything more than 5400RPM hard drives. (The OEM drives are 5400RPM w/2MB of cache). So anything beyond that isn't necessary. (Although there is an argument for improved performance for drives with something more than 2MB's of cache...which almost all HDD's have now.) TiVo transfers are bottlenecked by the processors, nothing to do w/HDD speeds. BTW, Series3's have the highest transfer rates.

Happy upgrading!

qz3fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #4662
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
OK-so Seagates are problematic in Tivo's for some reason.
I guess I'll either get a Hitachi Deskstar 1TB or 2TB drive then.
Based on comments, I'll get the new S3, let it run for a week or 2 to make sure everything works, then upgrade the internal HDD using WinMFS.

Is the max 1.36 TB a limit of the kernel, or something stupid tivo restricted, or a WinMFS limit?
The 1TB Seagates work fine, they are just louder than the specs suggest.

TiVo's current SATA driver limits partition size to 1TiB, so max capacity is the original partition (160GB or 250GB) plus a new partition expanded to 1TiB (1.1TB). One or two ebayers figured out a way to expand another partition to allow 2TB with a single drive, but there are no public tools to do that.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #4663
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
One or two ebayers figured out a way to expand another partition to allow 2TB with a single drive, but there are no public tools to do that.
Got a link to an example of that? Forum post, eBay auction, doesn't matter... just curious...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #4664
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
Got a link to an example of that? Forum post, eBay auction, doesn't matter... just curious...
I updated the previous post with a link.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #4665
cjv2

Quote:
I updated the previous post with a link.
Thanks!

EDIT: Wow, that's pretty interesting.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #4666
bkdtv

I removed some discontinued drives from the first post to simplify the choices.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #4667
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventinus22 View Post
Then about 15 seconds later, it reboots, eventually coming back to the External Storage Missing screen again.

Then I tried reconnecting the external drive. It gets to the green screen and reboots about 15 seconds later, then repeats.
I have a TiVo HD with problems, and I'm going through this right now. I have two hints for you:

1) Be careful about the "External Storage Missing" screen. Are you sure this isn't a "message" that you need to delete? I was confused by this as well; I successfully divorced an external drive and still kept getting the confusing screen. The solution was to delete the message.

2) It's quite possible that when an expander breaks, it somehow corrupts the files on the main TiVo disk. Right now I have a different TiVo HD that can't boot. It used to have an expander; I separated the two and the TiVo HD still won't boot. In addition, that expander causes a different TiVo HD to lock up. So, perhaps, as others have suggested, you need to reformat the disk.

All of this would be so much easier if TiVo simply had decent error messages. Hard disks have error checking. The SATA protocol has error checking. Printing out error messages would be far more useful than what TiVo does now (which is apparently to simply ignore the error status indication).
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #4668
HazelW

I've had two HD TiVos with expanders go bad. Could not divorce the drives. Could not kickstart. Used Instantcake on new drives and took the old drives out of the expander and reformatted for PC.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #4669
HazelW

Can you get cablecard info off the old disk?

Quote:
One or two ebayers figured out a way to expand another partition to allow 2TB with a single drive, but there are no public tools to do that.
this is a nice solution except for the cablecard problem. Is there an easy way to get old cablecard info off your old disk and on the new disk?
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #4670
Scotty d

Hitachi Deskstar 1TB - HD31000IDK / 7K1000 Clicking noise

Hello,

I've been browsing the threads the past week or so and decided to go with the Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB to up my storage in my Series 3 HD recorder. The new drive makes a faint (but irritating) clicking sound constantly. If the TV is on then you can hadly hear it, but if the room is slient it quicly becomes anoying (additional storage is not worth this).

Is this just the way the drive is? I read on the posts I could turn down the AAM, but couldn't find out how. Will this even help? Is the drive bad? Could someone advise me on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Scott
Scotty d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #4671
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty d View Post
Hello,

I've been browsing the threads the past week or so and decided to go with the Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB to up my storage in my Series 3 HD recorder. The new drive makes a faint (but irritating) clicking sound constantly. If the TV is on then you can hadly hear it, but if the room is slient it quicly becomes anoying (additional storage is not worth this).

Is this just the way the drive is? I read on the posts I could turn down the AAM, but couldn't find out how. Will this even help? Is the drive bad? Could someone advise me on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Scott
One thing you will notice is that those drives are not designed for DVRs. No big deal, but drives that are designed for DVRs "may" be quieter. Anyway, I do not think there is anything wrong with the drive. I think you are hearing the head seeking. I've had this with WD and Maxtor drives. I've noticed it more when a drive was not designed for DVRs. Functionally, it works fine. And the way to turn down the noise is right in the FAQ noted in the first post.

Quote:
Make Model Size Part # Intended for DVRs Noise (10=Best)
Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB HD31000 No 8*
Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB HDS721010CLA332 No 8*
Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB HDT721010SLA360 No 8*

Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #4672
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
this is a nice solution except for the cablecard problem. Is there an easy way to get old cablecard info off your old disk and on the new disk?
Installing drives from the eBay guys renders your TiVo as if it were new. Depending on your cable provider you most likely will need to call them to get the CableCARDS re-paired.

One noteable exception is Verizon FIOS. These CableCARDS can be moved freely between TiVos without any special action.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #4673
Mahty

According to Seatools for Windows diagnostics, the 750GB Seagate DB35 HD in my TiVo S3 has been experiencing a seemingly increasing number of bad sectors. I assume that such a situation makes the drive eligible for a free refurbished replacement since it still has 2 years left on its 5-year warranty.

As per a Seagate Warranty and Returns FAQ, it appears that rather than opting for such a refurbished hard drive, Seagate might allow me, for a small (?) price, to opt for a newer and larger capacity drive. If so, I guess I would opt for the 1TB 5900RPM Seagate Pipeline drive, if available.

Has anybody ever taken advantage of such a Seagate replacement option? And if so, is such an upgrade a good deal, or might it be cheaper to just buy a brand new 1TB Seagate Pipeline drive on my own?

Last edited by Mahty : 01-19-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Mahty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #4674
Spenner

Are you certain about the "pairing" of cablecards to a Tivo's hard drive?

Last month the upgraded 1TB drive on my Tivo failed. I still had my original drive, which would have allegedly been "paired" with my CableCard. I used the original to re-image/expand the 1TB drive from scratch, and my cable worked fine. The thing is, my original cablecard had been replaced (after the original HD upgrade), so if the original drive had any cablecard info it was for a different card than is in the Tivo.

Maybe the pairing is somehow on the cable-co's end, with an ID of the Tivo device, or my subscription. But the drive I imaged did not have info from the cablecard that was in my Tivo, and it works fine. I was prepared to have to call the cable-co after my re-imaging, but didn't need to.
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #4675
qz3fwd

Quote:
The 1TB Seagates work fine, they are just louder than the specs suggest.

TiVo's current SATA driver limits partition size to 1TiB, so max capacity is the original partition (160GB or 250GB) plus a new partition expanded to 1TiB (1.1TB). One or two ebayers figured out a way to expand another partition to allow 2TB with a single drive, but there are no public tools to do that.

Neat-but what happens during the next Tivo software update?
Poof-your 2TB Tivo is now inaccessible, or is this a way to force Tivo to officially update their kernel or whatever software is limiting drive capacity.
qz3fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #4676
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
Are you certain about the "pairing" of cablecards to a Tivo's hard drive?

Last month the upgraded 1TB drive on my Tivo failed. I still had my original drive, which would have allegedly been "paired" with my CableCard. I used the original to re-image/expand the 1TB drive from scratch, and my cable worked fine. The thing is, my original cablecard had been replaced (after the original HD upgrade), so if the original drive had any cablecard info it was for a different card than is in the Tivo.
Think of it this way: Your original TiVo image and any image created from it is X. The CableCard is Y. The CableCard pairing is X plus Y.

Any CableCard pairing will thus work with both your original image and any image created from it.

Quote:
From what I've undersand, that doesn't happen with the way they've done the expansion.

Quote:
Poof-your 2TB Tivo is now inaccessible, or is this a way to force Tivo to officially update their kernel or whatever software is limiting drive capacity.
You can only use a >1TB partition with a different SATA driver. You can't use a different SATA driver without PROM mod.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #4677
drey

Quote:
The update works fine, even with 2TB drive.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #4678
cjv2

Quote:
You can only use a >1TB partition with a different SATA driver. You can't use a different SATA driver without PROM mod.
Trying to wrap my head around this.

The 2TB drives being sold by the guy on eBay are just hard drives. No PROM mod, right?

But if you can't use a >1TB partition without a different SATA driver, and a different SATA driver requires a PROM mod... then how does he pull this off?

I just woke up, so if I missed something, tell me I need e-coffee and I'll go away.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #4679
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I just woke up, so if I missed something, tell me I need e-coffee and I'll go away.
The E-Starbucks store is right around the corner just off the Information Superhighway.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #4680
bkdtv

Quote:
But if you can't use a >1TB partition without a different SATA driver, and a different SATA driver requires a PROM mod... then how does he pull this off?
It looks like he wrote his own program to expand another TiVo partition that WinMFS does not touch.