TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #4591
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
It's a gorgeous bikini model straddling a TivoHD. You're really missing out.
Figures.
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #4592
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
Figures.
Ya - you need a NEW Bikini Friendly Firewall
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #4593
dgarrick

EARS Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
dg,
curious about the 4K misalignment potential (see above). Please drop a note here if you notice any performance issues. I have a week or so to decide. Thanks again.
Backyard.
I've had the upgraded HD Tivo running for 5 days now and have not noticed any performance or noise issues. NPL looks fine. Transfers from other HD Tivo OK. pyTivo OK.

I'm not sure what the 4k misalignment fuss is about? Will I be watching The Daily Show and Sean Hannity bleeds in or something?

I would say go for it!
dgarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #4594
kviri

Several months ago, I bought a WD10EADS, put it in an external enclosure, archived some large disk images and video files to it... and haven't touched it (or powered it on) since, so it's practically unused. Given the current price of 2GB drives (and the fact that I can't use a >1TB drive as an upgrade to my unit), I'm thinking I might repurpose it as an upgrade drive for my TiVo HD, and buy a larger drive to use in the enclosure for backups.

My question: The WD10EADS has a manufacture date of 26 FEB 2009, and the full model number on the sticker is WD10EADS-00L5B1. Am I correct in assuming that I don't need to worry about IntelliPark at all? The FAQ would seem to indicate so, but I want to verify before I muck around in my (still factory stock) TiVo HD.
kviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #4595
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kviri View Post
My question: The WD10EADS has a manufacture date of 26 FEB 2009, and the full model number on the sticker is WD10EADS-00L5B1. Am I correct in assuming that I don't need to worry about IntelliPark at all?
Yes.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #4596
backyard

I'm not sure what the 4k misalignment fuss is about? Will I be watching The Daily Show and Sean Hannity bleeds in or something?

I would say go for it![/quote]

Ok, I'll go for it. But if Olberman morfs to Limbaugh I'm blaming you!
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #4597
MPSAN

Quote:

I would say go for it!
Quote:
Ok, I'll go for it. But if Olberman morfs to Limbaugh I'm blaming you!
Would it be OK if Leno came through? Actually, how would you know? I mean he could be on any show.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #4598
jza80

Is that indicator gauge on the S3 image posted a few back on the "convenience hack" related to disk capacity? If so, how do I enable it on my S3??
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #4599
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.........Ok, I'll go for it. But if Olberman morfs to Limbaugh I'm blaming you!
If that happens you should be thankful. And also it would be a technological miracle since Rush isn't on TV at all.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #4600
S3-2501

I'm just here to add my experience to this extremely valuable thread.

I received a Seagate Pipeline 1TB drive that I ordered from Provantage, and successfully used WinMFS to backup my old TivoHD drive and then used the MFSCopy feature to copy everything from the old drive to the new Seagate drive. I put my old drive in a SATA to USB/ESATA enclosure, and connected the Seagate drive using a simple SATA to USB converter. Everything was done on my Vista x64 notebook.

As of this morning, everything seems to have gone smoothly, and although it's only been a little less than two days, so far the noise level seems about the same as the TivoHD's original drive.

If anyone's interested, I used an online date code converter to determine that the drive I received was manufactured in December, so it's a recent drive that hopefully has the latest firmware. According to Seagate's website, the warranty on it is good through December 2012.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, and especially to the people responsible for making the WinMFS program! It made the process very straight-forward and pain-free. It's wonderful that such resources are available to allow us all to continue to get the most out of our Tivos despite the fact that Tivo itself offers such limited hardware support for their products.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #4601
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
It's wonderful that such resources are available to allow us all to continue to get the most out of our Tivos despite the fact that Tivo itself offers such limited hardware support for their products.
Some of us are thankful that TiVo turns a blind eye towards us upgrading our machines. I know I am. It would be easy for them to protect us from upgrading our own drives, especially with lifetime service. That's what probably makes TiVo users so loyal.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #4602
jeffw_00

deifintely some truth to that, and don't blame TiVo. If they could find a way to let us into the box without exposing themselves to liability if somebody doesn't disconnect from the power they probably would. I know they could shield the supply or use some other sort of interlock but those solutions cost money.

What I don't understand, honestly, is why TiVo doesn't just increase the drive size themselves as cost comes down. I'm surprised they can -find- 160GB drives these days, and they can't be any cheaper than, say 500GB.
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #4603
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
What I don't understand, honestly, is why TiVo doesn't just increase the drive size themselves as cost comes down. I'm surprised they can -find- 160GB drives these days, and they can't be any cheaper than, say 500GB.
Makes sense. Maybe not. Any customer that purchased a tivo within 30 days will return and get the model with the larger hard drive. What does tivo do with existing inventory? Dump them below cost? What about units stocked by retailers? How do they handle complaints from customers that bought a 160GB unit 45 days ago?

WD stops making 160GB drives? My guess is WD (or tivo) would format a 500GB drive to 160GB rather then address those issues.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #4604
jza80

Identifying which drive is which in Winmfs

When performing the drive copy process in Winmfs, how are the 2 drives identified? I mean, if there is no drive letter then how do you know which drive is the original Tivo drive and which is the new drive? Does a serial number or drive size indicator show on Winmfs? This will be in Vista 64 if it matters, desktop connecting to the motherboard directly.
Thanks!

Last edited by jza80 : 01-16-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #4605
jeffw_00

you make good points lew, but I'm sure Apple would disagree 8-}. They could at least increment the model # every year (say in september) and ship the 'new' model (otherwise same as the old one) with a larger drive...

/j
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #4606
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Makes sense. Maybe not. Any customer that purchased a tivo within 30 days will return and get the model with the larger hard drive. What does tivo do with existing inventory? Dump them below cost? What about units stocked by retailers? How do they handle complaints from customers that bought a 160GB unit 45 days ago?

WD stops making 160GB drives? My guess is WD (or tivo) would format a 500GB drive to 160GB rather then address those issues.
+1

Also, as it is, people are always waiting for the new unit to come out. I wonder if some are still waiting 'til they "Perfect" Color TV.

If people KNEW that a new THD would be out every year then just when is a good time to buy?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #4607
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza80 View Post
When performing the drive copy process in Winmfs, how are the 2 drives drives identified? I mean, if there is no drive letter then how do you know which drive is the original Tivo drive and which is the new drive? Does a serial number or drive size indicator show on Winmfs? This will be in Vista 64 if it matters, desktop connecting to the motherboard directly.
Thanks!
WinMFS makes it pretty obvious. It will recognize a Tivo drive, tell you the model # and size of the drive, etc. It will also recognize a blank drive and give you the info on it. You can see a few screenshots over at mfslive.org.

http://mfslive.org/winmfs/images/select_drive.jpg
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #4608
jza80

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
WinMFS makes it pretty obvious. It will recognize a Tivo drive, tell you the model # and size of the drive, etc. It will also recognize a blank drive and give you the info on it. You can see a few screenshots over at mfslive.org.

http://mfslive.org/winmfs/images/select_drive.jpg
Thanks. Both of my drives have Tivo images on them but if type and size are displayed then it will be no problem.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #4609
dmartin5454

I ordered a WD15EVDS (1.5T) drive to upgrade my internal disk in my Tivo
HD. (I understand I'll only get 1TB + 160GB.) I was hoping I could use
my HP laptop that has a combo eSATA/USB port to run wdidle3 to avoid the
soft reboot problem. Like another poster, I burned the image to CD, but
when I boot from the CD I got the messages:

CD-ROM Device Driver for IDE (Four Channels Supported)
Driver Version : V340
Device Name : BANANA
No drives found, aborting installation

Device driver not found: 'BANANA'
No valid CDROM device drives selected.

My CD-ROM is actually SCSI, not EIDE, SATA, nor USB:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N SCSI CdRom device.

If this ISO image won't work with my CD, does anyone have any suggestions
for creating a boot image that would support it?
dmartin5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #4610
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
Some of us are thankful that TiVo turns a blind eye towards us upgrading our machines. I know I am. It would be easy for them to protect us from upgrading our own drives, especially with lifetime service. That's what probably makes TiVo users so loyal.
I wish Tivo would offer a longer warranty on their products, with the ability to send in a Tivo to have them replace or upgrade a drive, maintaining all programs and settings that they can. Basically, I wish they would offer official versions of the services that Weaknees and DVRupgrade offer. If the prices and coverage were reasonable, I'd be happy to pay Tivo to upgrade a drive or to replace a failed one. Instead, the only option in or out of warranty is to exchange the whole unit for a refurb and start from scratch.

The whole reason I ended up upgrading the drive in my TivoHD is because my official WD expander failed shortly after its way too short 1 year warranty, and it just made more sense financially to upgrade rather than buy another substandard expander with a sub-par warranty. I'd rather go with an officially supported option, but I tried that with the expander and it failed. Thankfully, the community of Tivo users here and elsewhere on the net has found and shared ways to self-support their Tivos in the ways that Tivo will not.
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #4611
sweez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeefhead View Post
sweez, thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your experience. may I ask how long it took to back up your old EADS? i'm going to replace my EADS but am really not looking forward to losing all of my recordings.
sorry for the delay in responding... just checked the site.

anyway, the backup took about 10 minutes. the backup file size ended up being less than 500mb. the drive had no recordings. i watched all the programs and purged the deleted programs folder.
sweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #4612
pl1

Quote:
I wish Tivo would offer a longer warranty on their products, with the ability to send in a Tivo to have them replace or upgrade a drive, maintaining all programs and settings that they can. Basically, I wish they would offer official versions of the services that Weaknees and DVRupgrade offer. If the prices and coverage were reasonable, I'd be happy to pay Tivo to upgrade a drive or to replace a failed one. Instead, the only option in or out of warranty is to exchange the whole unit for a refurb and start from scratch.

The whole reason I ended up upgrading the drive in my TivoHD is because my official WD expander failed shortly after its way too short 1 year warranty, and it just made more sense financially to upgrade rather than buy another substandard expander with a sub-par warranty. I'd rather go with an officially supported option, but I tried that with the expander and it failed. Thankfully, the community of Tivo users here and elsewhere on the net has found and shared ways to self-support their Tivos in the ways that Tivo will not.
Not a bad idea, and a good way for Tivo to get some additional income. I agree with you.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #4613
bigd2008
Warranty Void :)

Quote:
I wish Tivo would offer a longer warranty on their products, with the ability to send in a Tivo to have them replace or upgrade a drive, maintaining all programs and settings that they can.
Or at least 1 year parts AND labor instead of this 90 days stuff. I'm going to take a stabb in the dark and guess that the majority of first year failures are the HDD. My Series 2 took a dive at 11mos. Was it covered? Yes. Did I go through the hassel? No. Instead I upgraded to a larger 500GB for less than what it would cost me to receive another 80GB under warranty. It would be nice if they could upgrade for you, but hey, if Tivo did it for you, we wouldn't have this wonderful FAQ...
bigd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #4614
Aventinus22

I have finally decided to upgrade my Tivo HD as I am having lots of problems with pixelation, freezing, partial recordings, sluggish remote, and rebooting. My Tivo HD has the official 500gb MyDVR Expander attached. When I try to unmarry the external drive, I get the External Storage Missing screen, then the Warning screen as expected, but then it keeps rebooting to the same screens. I can' t get past this point. Should I remove the drive anyway?
Aventinus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:26 AM   #4615
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Thanks Rich - but I can't use that one - My TiVo is RACK mounted.
Holy crap! Does NASA know that some of their equipment is missing?!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #4616
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventinus22 View Post
I have finally decided to upgrade my Tivo HD as I am having lots of problems with pixelation, freezing, partial recordings, sluggish remote, and rebooting. My Tivo HD has the official 500gb MyDVR Expander attached. When I try to unmarry the external drive, I get the External Storage Missing screen, then the Warning screen as expected, but then it keeps rebooting to the same screens. I can' t get past this point. Should I remove the drive anyway?
Are you following these steps (exactly)?

1. Power off TiVo by disconnecting the AC power cord.
2. Turn off the eSATA drive.
3. Disconnect the AC adapter cord and eSATA cable from the eSATA drive.
4. Disconnect the eSATA cable from TiVo.
5. Power on TiVo by reattaching the AC power cord.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to permanently divorce the eSATA drive.

If you missed any steps or got something out of order I would reconnect the drive and try again.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:39 AM   #4617
richsadams

Quote:
I received a Seagate Pipeline 1TB drive that I ordered from Provantage, and successfully used WinMFS to backup my old TivoHD drive and then used the MFSCopy feature to copy everything from the old drive to the new Seagate drive.
Glad to hear that the newer Seagate Pipeline models are working well. Thanks for the post and enjoy!
Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #4618
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
you make good points lew, but I'm sure Apple would disagree 8-}. They could at least increment the model # every year (say in september) and ship the 'new' model (otherwise same as the old one) with a larger drive...

/j
Didn't Apple have customer "issues" when they lowered the price/increased the memory of the I-Phone? Tivo needs to "move" inventory more then a month to limit the number of customers who might return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
+1

Also, as it is, people are always waiting for the new unit to come out. I wonder if some are still waiting 'til they "Perfect" Color TV.

If people KNEW that a new THD would be out every year then just when is a good time to buy?
Some people would take advantage of "closeout" pricing and buy the old model. Others would wait a month and get the newer model.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #4619
Aventinus22

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Are you following these steps (exactly)?

1. Power off TiVo by disconnecting the AC power cord.
2. Turn off the eSATA drive.
3. Disconnect the AC adapter cord and eSATA cable from the eSATA drive.
4. Disconnect the eSATA cable from TiVo.
5. Power on TiVo by reattaching the AC power cord.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to permanently divorce the eSATA drive.

If you missed any steps or got something out of order I would reconnect the drive and try again.
That's exactly what I did.

After giving the thumbs down to the Warning screen, I get the Removing external storage. This will take a while screen. Then about 15 seconds later, it reboots, eventually coming back to the External Storage Missing screen again.

Then I tried reconnecting the external drive. It gets to the green screen and reboots about 15 seconds later, then repeats.
Aventinus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #4620
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventinus22 View Post
That's exactly what I did.

After giving the thumbs down to the Warning screen, I get the Removing external storage. This will take a while screen. Then about 15 seconds later, it reboots, eventually coming back to the External Storage Missing screen again.

Then I tried reconnecting the external drive. It gets to the green screen and reboots about 15 seconds later, then repeats.
Hmmm...sounds like there is some data corruption on the internal hard drive. You could try running TiVo's built-in diagnostics called "Kickstarts", KS57 or KS58 may be able to repair the problem. KS54 will run a test on the drive.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

I would try to repair the drive before you image a new one to avoid anything being carried over. If that doesn't work I would go ahead and image a new drive following the instructions on the first post. All may go well and that will be that. If not you may have to use Instant Cake for a clean image.

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake.cfm

Hope that helps!