TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #4561
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
This is from Spike on the MFSlive.org forum...

Drives to Avoid for TiVo Series 3:
Western Digital (WD10EADS) *soft reboot problem on S3 but works on THD
backyard, thanks for the cross-post from MFSLive on the alignment bit.

I thought I would highlight the above item though. Certain models of the WD10EADS *do* have the soft reboot problem on a TivoHD (though presumably subject to correction by "fixing Intellipark.")

I got one of those EADS drives for my TivoHD and had to take it back because I was running a laptop USB -> SATA adapter rather than a motherboard SATA plug, and consequently could not get the WD utility to see the drive and turn Intellipark off. In fact, I couldn't get the thing to boot, period. Stuck at "Welcome! Powering Up."

There was a great deal of discussion about the EADS and apparent recent revisions to it by WD in this thread. It might be worth passing the discussion here on to Spike if you are so inclined.

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-11-2010 at 07:41 PM.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #4562
camm91

To use wdidle3 does my drive need to have a drive letter? At present my wd10evds is plugged in and recognised through bios etc, and, winmfs can see it. Do I need to mount it or whatever to give it a drive letter?

I have the boot cd working, but, I am unsure what to do from there? It went to some wierd a: (I don't have an a and just entering the command didnt work.
camm91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #4563
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm91 View Post
To use wdidle3 does my drive need to have a drive letter? At present my wd10evds is plugged in and recognised through bios etc, and, winmfs can see it. Do I need to mount it or whatever to give it a drive letter?

I have the boot cd working, but, I am unsure what to do from there? It went to some wierd a: (I don't have an a and just entering the command didnt work.
Once you get the A: prompt, try R: or S: and do a DIR and see if wdidle3.exe shows up. If so enter it to run the utility. This is NOT from within Windows and is from the boot cd that boots into DOS.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #4564
camm91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Once you get the A: prompt, try R: or S: and do a DIR and see if wdidle3.exe shows up. If so enter it to run the utility. This is NOT from within Windows and is from the boot cd that boots into DOS.
Yes, I am using the boot cd that boots into dos.

It gives a msg, Driver version v340
Device Name: Banana
No drives found, Aborting installation...

Then goes to a:

I just retried twice after your msg, tried drives a->z. I can get it to change between drives a and b, neither of which contain the program. no other drives are recognised.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #4565
camm91

Found this thread over here tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784&page=145 (removed the www so that I can post, wouldnt let me post links as < 5 posts) which the person had the same problem as me. I grabbed all the files from the ultimate bootable cd download and chucked the wdidle3 on it as well.

This doesnt work as a boot cd now :/

Does anyone see what is wrong? Can assist me?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #4566
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd2008 View Post
First time poster here! I'll be upgrading my TivoHD I received for Xmas straight out of the box with the WD10EVDS drive. I ordered it from Amazon on Jan 6th and received it today with a manufacture date of Oct 10, 2009. Looks like pre-November EVDS drives are still being shipped. Upgrading my Series 2 was a headache after the original drive had failed so I'd like to upgrade now and get a head start on an easy recovery solution. Is there any trouble I may run into by perfoming the upgrade before ever powering the unit on?
Agree with everyone else...get your new TiVo set up and running before doing anything to it. I'd give it a solid 30 days before upgrading. Lucky drive order...let us know if it performs a menu restart.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #4567
yukit

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard View Post
Thanks for the responses. It would be great to know if someone had success and there was no intellipark problem.

This is from Spike on the MFSlive.org forum. The EARS note was added a few days ago.

Recommended SATA drives for TiVo S3, TiVo HD, TiVo HDXL
by spike » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:54 pm
Stay Away from WD "EARS" Drives
WD10EARS or "EARS" drives have 4KB physical sector aka. Advanced Format.
Drives currenlty have 512 Byte physical sector and TiVo File System is designed with that in mind.
So with the 4K sectors, partitions will be misaligned and MFS (TiVo File System) read/write will be misaligned...
I would think this will cause major slow down, so you should stay away from them until further studies have been conducted on TiVo.
Stay tuned....
Thanks for posting this info. It is good to hear directly from spike regarding the 4k sector issue on EARS drives.

I think there is a jumper on the drive to force the sector offset trick used on WinXP. I wonder if that would make the drive to work with Tivo FS, but it may fool WinMFS.

BTW, I am using Hitachi 2TB (HD32000 IDK/7K) drive with an HDXL. Upgraded about a week ago, working very well so far.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #4568
mellenfan

1TB Drive for Tivo HD

What drive should I buy to install in my Tivo HD? I have seen so many issues with this drive and that drive that I am not sure what to use!

I have the cake software and can handle any iso buring to CD that is needed to apply DOS scripts, etc.

Thanks!
mellenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #4569
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellenfan View Post
What drive should I buy to install in my Tivo HD? I have seen so many issues with this drive and that drive that I am not sure what to use!

I have the cake software and can handle any iso buring to CD that is needed to apply DOS scripts, etc.

Thanks!
My two or three cents:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...09#post7712809

If you have a PC and are comfortable with doing a little extra work, any of the Western Digital drives listed in the first post would be fine as well.

Happy upgrading!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #4570
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
My two or three cents:

If you have a PC and are comfortable with doing a little extra work, any of the Western Digital drives listed in the first post would be fine as well.

Happy upgrading!
Hi Rich - I like your Seagate recommendation.

If I were upgrading mine today - that is the one I would go with.

KNOCK on wood my 1 TB Internal TiVo just reached its 2nd Birthday this month
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #4571
wackymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd2008 View Post
First time poster here! I'll be upgrading my TivoHD I received for Xmas straight out of the box with the WD10EVDS drive. I ordered it from Amazon on Jan 6th and received it today with a manufacture date of Oct 10, 2009. Looks like pre-November EVDS drives are still being shipped. Upgrading my Series 2 was a headache after the original drive had failed so I'd like to upgrade now and get a head start on an easy recovery solution. Is there any trouble I may run into by perfoming the upgrade before ever powering the unit on?
You got lucky - I ordered one from Amazon around the same time and it came with a manufacture date of Dec 7. Did you order directly from Amazon, or one of its affiliates? I ordered mine directly from Amazon so I could get their free 2-day shipping. There was a slightly cheaper option that was from one of their affiliates. Maybe they are shipping the older drives? If so, that would be good to know.
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #4572
bigd2008
Warranty Void :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
You got lucky - I ordered one from Amazon around the same time and it came with a manufacture date of Dec 7. Did you order directly from Amazon, or one of its affiliates?
Directly from Amazon. A friend also ordered the same drive direct from Amazon two days after I placed my order and he received the Oct 10th drive too. Did his TivoHD last night with no softboot (or other) problems.

Despite the advice to first power on MY unit and wait a few weeks before upgrading, I didn't. *sigh* I used MFSLive v1.4. and had trouble mounting a NTFS file system to save the backup. I used a FAT32 formatted flash stick instead. Then, my backup file was reaching 2GB and failing. The uncompressed size was close to 3,330MB. I think it was backing up the 5 "get started" recordings. Then I remembered "Hey, people recommended not doing this..." and powered my unit on through the guided setup. Perm deleted the recordings which were about 1.3GB (according to record info). Tried it all over again and the uncompressed backup size was now 1390MB leaving me with a 527MB file (which fits on fat32) What gives? Anyone know why the image fresh from the box is larger? Seems like it is more than just recordings, but maybe that's all it is.
bigd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #4573
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by camm91 View Post
Found this thread over here tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784&page=145 (removed the www so that I can post, wouldnt let me post links as < 5 posts) which the person had the same problem as me. I grabbed all the files from the ultimate bootable cd download and chucked the wdidle3 on it as well.

This doesnt work as a boot cd now :/

Does anyone see what is wrong? Can assist me?
Well, the DOS will see IDE drives, and since the driver will not install, I can just assume that your BIOS does not have the SATA drives configured for IDE. That means no RAID or other settings. After the wdidle3 run just change the BIOS back to what it was. Also, make sure your CD Drive is an IDE as well!

Last edited by MPSAN : 01-13-2010 at 01:38 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #4574
adamwsh

Quote:
My two or three cents:

Happy upgrading!
I just purchased the Segate Pipeline ST31000533CS from ProVantage (cheapest price) on your recommendation. Hope it works well! I hope it comes soon. I'm tired of having only 20 hours of space!
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #4575
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
I just purchased the Segate Pipeline ST31000533CS from ProVantage (cheapest price) on your recommendation. Hope it works well! I hope it comes soon. I'm tired of having only 20 hours of space!
Good luck. I hope for your sake it is a lot less noisy than the Seagate ST31500541AS drive that I have.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #4576
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
Good luck. I hope for your sake it is a lot less noisy than the Seagate ST31500541AS drive that I have.
I haven't looked at the specs in over a year but the CS drives had been a lot quieter than the AS and NS series. I have both in Antec cases, the CS for the Tivo and the AS for backups. Night and day difference.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #4577
jeffw_00

I ordered from Amazon 3 weeks ago and got a 10/15 EVDS drive. It probably matters, in part, which warehouse they ship from. If you can do the wdidle thing it doesn't matter though.
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #4578
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
Well, it is a 7 out of 10 (10 being best) on the noise level chart at the top of this thread. Also, even the manufacturer claims it is meant for DVR use with low noise, high operating temp, etc.

I'll post my results when I'm done.
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #4579
pl1

Quote:
I just bought one of the Seagates myself off of Ebay for $85 shipped. We'll see how the sound is. They are designed for DVRs with a 3 year warranty.

Seagate Pipeline HD .2 1TB 1 TB SATA ST31000322CS
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #4580
pl1

Quote:
Well, it is a 7 out of 10 (10 being best) on the noise level chart at the top of this thread. Also, even the manufacturer claims it is meant for DVR use with low noise, high operating temp, etc.
I'll post my results when I'm done.
One reason I was hesitant about buying the Seagate was that there are no noise level adjustments that can be made. The reason I'm OK with it if it is a little noisy is that it is in my livingroom. The old Maxtor drives I used to use were terribly loud during head seeks. The WD drives are virtually silent.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #4581
zanyman
thread killer

Thumbs up

Just found the 1TB Hitachi HD31000 at my local Microcenter for $70 this weekend. The upgrade to my TivoHD was quick and painless, thanks to these excellent recommendations and instructions. Thanks!!
zanyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #4582
adamwsh

Quote:
So after seeing that ProVantage had over 400 in stock (according to their website) I placed the order. I just got an email saying the no longer have them available and won't until maybe 1/22. So I canceled the order and found it on PCRush.com (never heard of them before) for a couple bucks more. I called them first to ask if they in fact have them ready to ship and the guy said yes. So I placed the order. We'll see what happens.
----------

Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #4583
dgarrick

All EARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
D'oh!
Didn't someone in here say they set up some EARS without issue?
Yes, I just did a full upgrade over last weekend of my HD Tivo's internal and external drives. For the drives I used:

WD10EARS 1TB - internal
Seagate ST3100341AS 1.5TB in an Antec MX-1 eSata enclosure

All went smooth for me except the fact I am a Mac guy and had to use my work PC laptop and a SATA-to-USB connector to perform the upgrade. I did the "preserve settings but not recordings" upgrade for the internal EARS drive. That worked fine.

The only step that was difficult for me was finding a SATA motherboard connection (had a vacant PC at work for this) to perform the WD Intellipark disable step with wdidle3. Note: The USB-to-SATA connector WILL NOT work for this step as the wdidle3 just hangs in DOS when the command is entered from the R:> drive. Apparently the EARS drives DO have this feature enabled as my Tivo was struck on the power up before I did the wdidle3.

As far as any drive noise, I do not hear any coming from the EARS. The total capacity now reads in the 300's HD and 2900+ SD.

This wasn't a completely seamless upgrade due to my preference for Mac but fairly painless looking back on the process.

Last edited by dgarrick : 01-14-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Added USB-to-SATA connector WILL NOT work...
dgarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #4584
backyard

Ears

dg,

I'm all EARS.

Thanks for posting the EARS results. I haven't decided wether to return mine or go for the install. I am sata-usb constrained as well and curious about the 4K misalignment potential (see above). Please drop a note here if you notice any performance issues. I have a week or so to decide. Thanks again.
Backyard.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #4585
BrianM83

While I have my s3 TiVo open, is there any thing else I can do to enhance my TiVo experience? Something that doesn't require soldering?
BrianM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #4586
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM83 View Post
Something that doesn't require soldering?
What improvement requires soldering - I need that one
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #4587
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
What improvement requires soldering - I need that one
The optional TiVo convenience hack.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #4588
adamwsh

Quote:
My firewall is blocking this pic. What is it?
----------

Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #4589
drhankz

Quote:
Thanks Rich - but I can't use that one - My TiVo is RACK mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR.jpg (67.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #4590
whitepelican

Quote:
My firewall is blocking this pic. What is it?
It's a gorgeous bikini model straddling a TivoHD. You're really missing out.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote