Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #4501
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsgo View Post
Hello guys I'm a first time poster but have been reading through posts for awhile. I'm having trouble starting the winmfs program up. I have read through the instructions on the first page about connecting two harddrives to preserve the settings and recordings. I seem to be stuck on step 9 and 10. I have windows XP and I believe that you can't start winmfs the normal way? I'm not a computer person at all in terms of dealing with drives and all that stuff. Please any help would be appreciated.

p.s I bought a WD10EADS for tivo HD

thanks

jason
Does Windows come up after rebooting after connecting the SATA drives?
If not, perhaps you disconnected your boot drive?

Winmfs is started the normal way. What happens if you double click on winmfs.exe either on your desktop or in windows explorer? You did extract winmfs.exe from the zip, correct?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #4502
wackymann

I am having a very hard time turning off this stupid intellipark feature. I have 2 relatively new computers, so I thought at least one of them would do the job.

The first computer is a new HP Windows 7 (64-bit) desktop. It boots into the wdidle3 CD just fine, but when I run the command wdidle3 /D, it just gives me a message that says it is set to 6300 msec - not disabled. The BIOS says the SATA controller is in IDE mode as instructed, so I'm not sure what is wrong...

Anyways, when that failed, I figured I'd try our Dell PC running 64-bit Vista. That PC would NOT boot into the CD no matter I did. I even removed the Windows hard disk, at which point it went into an endless loop - continuously starting to boot into the CD, but giving up and trying again. I even re-burned the disk on this PC thinking that maybe it couldn't read the CD I had burned on the other machine, but that didn't change anything. And actually - I'm not even sure this computer could do it even if I could boot it into the CD, because the SATA controller only has 2 settings - AHCI and RAID. There is no EIDE compatibility mode as far as I can tell.

So now I have this $100 disk that I can't really use. Any recommendations on what i should try next?
wackymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #4503
waiting485

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post
The first computer is a new HP Windows 7 (64-bit) desktop. It boots into the wdidle3 CD just fine, but when I run the command wdidle3 /D, it just gives me a message that says it is set to 6300 msec - not disabled. The BIOS says the SATA controller is in IDE mode as instructed, so I'm not sure what is wrong...

If it is not disabling the intellipark than try setting value to max by using following

wdidle3 /S255

This should resolve the softboot issue.
waiting485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #4504
richsadams

Quote:
Hello guys I'm a first time poster but have been reading through posts for awhile. I'm having trouble starting the winmfs program up. I have read through the instructions on the first page about connecting two harddrives to preserve the settings and recordings. I seem to be stuck on step 9 and 10. I have windows XP and I believe that you can't start winmfs the normal way? I'm not a computer person at all in terms of dealing with drives and all that stuff. Please any help would be appreciated.

p.s I bought a WD10EADS for tivo HD

thanks

jason
Hi Jason. I've used XP to upgrade many drives with winMFS so that shouldn't be a problem. (Be sure to disable any virus scan software that's running).

It sounds like you want to preserve your settings and recordings and plan on following the instructions from Section V, #20b correct? So are you having trouble unzipping winMFS or opening it or...??? Per dlfl, when you say "stuck", you'll need to describe exactly what you're doing and seeing as clearly as possible.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #4505
jagsgo

Hi thanks for responding. Well the situation is that I've unzipped winmfs and its on my desktop. Its from here where I'm stuck.

"Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and connect the original TiVo drive and your new replacement SATA drive. Do not disconnect your Windows boot drive."

"You can open your computer and connect both with SATA cables, or you can connect them externally using a pair of SATA->USB adapters or a dual drive dock. Both drives should be connected to your PC at the same time."

here is where I'm not sure what to do. Can I not run the program from my desktop in windows XP? If not I'm not sure what to do and how to connect the drives correctly. I bought a sata/IDE to usb 2.0 adapter for this switch. I hope I bought the correct cables I needed.

I don't understand what "disconnecting your boot drive means." sorry..lol

Last edited by jagsgo : 01-09-2010 at 01:10 PM.
jagsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #4506
whitepelican

Quote:
Hi thanks for responding. Well the situation is that I've unzipped winmfs and its on my desktop. Its from here where I'm stuck.

"Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and connect the original TiVo drive and your new replacement SATA drive. Do not disconnect your Windows boot drive."

"You can open your computer and connect both with SATA cables, or you can connect them externally using a pair of SATA->USB adapters or a dual drive dock. Both drives should be connected to your PC at the same time."

here is where I'm not sure what to do. Can I not run the program from my desktop in windows XP? If not I'm not sure what to do and how to connect the drives correctly. I bought a sata/IDE to usb 2.0 adapter for this switch. I hope I bought the correct cables I needed.

I don't understand what "disconnecting your boot drive means." sorry..lol
Basically, if you are going to do a drive to drive copy and preserve your Tivo recordings, you need to have 3 hard drives all connected at the same time: 1) Your original PC drive w/ Windows 2) Your "old" Tivo drive 3) Your new Tivo drive. As long as all three of those drives are connected properly, you should be able to just click on "winmfs.exe" and then do a drive to drive copy in WinMFS.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #4507
jagsgo

right ok I totally understand. I believe I do have all three connected with the usb adapter that I'm using. Does it matter that I'm using a laptop?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #4508
MPSAN

...and do not forget to turn off your AV software! If your original TiVo drive is able to go into the TiVo again, it would have saved time if you removed the deleted shows so they would not copy as well. Just a time saver though.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #4509
jagsgo

yes I did that. Now do I restart the computer after I connect the cables? or turn off the computer and then connect the cables.

also what do they mean by this: If using Windows Vista, you'll want to launch WinMFS by right-clicking on WinMFS.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator.

Can I run the program run in normal windows desktop or do I need to do something else..
Old 01-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #4510
MPSAN

Quote:
yes I did that. Now do I restart the computer after I connect the cables? or turn off the computer and then connect the cables.

also what do they mean by this: If using Windows Vista, you'll want to launch WinMFS by right-clicking on WinMFS.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator.

Can I run the program run in normal windows desktop or do I need to do something else..
You can just connect the drives via the USB adapter. I believe you are using a laptop. If Winmfs does not see them, you can power off, and then reboot. If you use XP, as I do, I did not have to run as admin, and will run as a normal windows app.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #4511
jagsgo

Thanks guys it looks like the transfer between the two tivo drives went through..Only thing is when I tried to expand the drive by clicking yes, it gave me an error message. And whenever I try to supersize the drive it gives me an message that says: "GUI Tools to backup restore expand fix TiVo Hard drives has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

then it proceeds to close and shut down the program without me doing anything to it! Is this normal?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #4512
jagsgo

Also I have an WD10EADS that's manufacture date is Oct 23, 2009...do you guys think I will need to do the intellipack feature thing...I haven't installed the new drive yet. I will check it by restarting the tivo through the messages and settings route.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #4513
bkdtv

Quote:
Also I have an WD10EADS that's manufacture date is Oct 23, 2009...do you guys think I will need to do the intellipack feature thing..
Most likely, yes.

It is the WD10EVDS drives that were modified with Intellipark in November. All the other drivers were modified in September or October.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #4514
jza80

Looking to find a good 1TB drive, Fry's is offering this Hitachi drive for $69 on special: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HD31000IDK / 7K1000 ...this seems to mostly match up with the HD31000 drive listed in the recommended drive list, but there are some extra characters in the product model number. Anyone know if this is the same as the HD31000 drive that is recommended. And I assume this drive will need to be reset to the low noise setting, correct?

Thanks
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #4515
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza80 View Post
Looking to find a good 1TB drive, Fry's is offering this Hitachi drive for $69 on special: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HD31000IDK / 7K1000 ...this seems to mostly match up with the HD31000 drive listed in the recommended drive list, but there are some extra characters in the product model number. Anyone know if this is the same as the HD31000 drive that is recommended. And I assume this drive will need to be reset to the low noise setting, correct?

Thanks
I can't guarantee that it's the same drive as the one recommended on the list. (The one on the list needs additional model info.) However in the past 60 days I've purchased three of the Hitachi 1TB HD HD31000IDK / 7K1000 hard drives and so far I am very impressed. I purchased one from Fry's as a matter of fact and two from Amazon. I have two in a NAS RAID configuration and am using one as an external hard drive for a Mac Mini. They run 10 degrees (centigrade) cooler than a year-old 1TB Hitachi drive I had and are surprisingly quiet for 7200 RPM drives - equal to most 5400 RPM's that I've used. I did not adjust the AAM so I'm guessing they could even be quieter. I actually wouldn't hesitate using them in either of our TiVo's should something happen to the WD drives they have currrently.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #4516
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks guys it looks like the transfer between the two tivo drives went through..Only thing is when I tried to expand the drive by clicking yes, it gave me an error message. And whenever I try to supersize the drive it gives me an message that says: "GUI Tools to backup restore expand fix TiVo Hard drives has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

then it proceeds to close and shut down the program without me doing anything to it! Is this normal?
No, that's not normal...and I'm not sure what would cause it. If someone else here doesn't chime in quickly I'd post on Spike's MFSLive web site forum. He created winMFS and can probably help you out:

www.mfslive.org/forums/
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #4517
jagsgo

well it looks like I was able to transfer the settings and recordings to the new WD10EADS drive. Now I can't figure out how to disable the Intellipark feature.

can anyone help me out?

for step 2: "Connect the affected WD drive to any available SATA connector on your motherboard. Ensure that in BIOS hard drives are set to EIDE Compatible mode and not AHCI or RAID. This is needed so bootable DOS CD can detect the drive."

does this mean that I have to open up my laptop and connect the WD10EADS hard drive to my motherboard? Also how do I go BIOS? is this like MS DOS? and how do I get to this?

thanks,

jason

Last edited by jagsgo : 01-10-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #4518
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

thanks for responding! well it looks like I was able to transfer the settings and recordings to the new WD10EADS drive. Now I can't figure out how to disable the Intellipark feature.

can you help me out?

for step 2 "Connect the affected WD drive to any available SATA connector on your motherboard. Ensure that in BIOS hard drives are set to EIDE Compatible mode and not AHCI or RAID. This is needed so bootable DOS CD can detect the drive."

does this mean that I have to open up my laptop and connect the WD10EADS hard drive to my motherboard? any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

jason
Hi Jason, no problem. I'm afraid I can't help you with disabling the Intellipark "feature". I've never used a laptop for an upgrade...although it obviously works. Plus I've never used the program to disable Intellipark. Hopefully someone will chime in.

It seems like someone used a laptop to disable Intellipark so you might want to scroll back a ways. I don't think they opened it up though, so maybe there's a work around such as using a SATA to USB adapter.

Although I think the manufacture date you mentioned would indicate that Intellipark is active, it might not be. There's only one way to find out. You could put the drive in TiVo and confirm that everything works. Then you could try doing a soft reboot.

1. Go to TiVo Central
2. Select Messages & Settings
3. Select Restart or Reset System
4. Select Restart the TiVo DVR
5. Press Thumbs Down three times
6. Press Enter

If it doesn't hang on the "Welcome" screen you should be good to go. If it does you can power cycle it (pull the plug, wait ten seconds and plug it back in) and it should start up normally.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #4519
kookmyers

I just completed my expansion to a new WD10EVDS that i purchased. The drive was manufactured in December. I ran wdidle3 and was unable to disable the drive so i set it to max as mentioned above. It seems to be working. A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum.
kookmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #4520
jza80

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I can't guarantee that it's the same drive as the one recommended on the list. (The one on the list needs additional model info.) However in the past 60 days I've purchased three of the Hitachi 1TB HD HD31000IDK / 7K1000 hard drives and so far I am very impressed. I purchased one from Fry's as a matter of fact and two from Amazon. I have two in a NAS RAID configuration and am using one as an external hard drive for a Mac Mini. They run 10 degrees (centigrade) cooler than a year-old 1TB Hitachi drive I had and are surprisingly quiet for 7200 RPM drives - equal to most 5400 RPM's that I've used. I did not adjust the AAM so I'm guessing they could even be quieter. I actually wouldn't hesitate using them in either of our TiVo's should something happen to the WD drives they have currrentaly.
Thanks. What I am finding is that the drives listed with the lower noise levels are difficult to find online. I guess I will pick up the Hitachi and try it out. The worst thing that will happen is that it doesn't work and I will use it for something else...too bad the WD drives specifically made for DVR are discontinued.
jza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #4521
jagsgo

hey kookmyers,

could you elaborate on how you were able to disable Intellipark "feature." Like what exactly I have to do if I need to open up my computer or can I run a program for this?

thanks,

jason
Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #4522
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza80 View Post
Thanks. What I am finding is that the drives listed with the lower noise levels are difficult to find online. I guess I will pick up the Hitachi and try it out. The worst thing that will happen is that it doesn't work and I will use it for something else...too bad the WD drives specifically made for DVR are discontinued.
I think you'll be happy with the Hitachi drive. The one-year old 1TB Hitachi I mentioned earlier came out of a NewerTech Ministack external drive I used for the Mac Mini. It sounded like a jet airplane most of the time. Not only was the drive very loud, it ran quite hot and the Ministack's exhanust fan would run at top speed whenever there was a load. Luckily it was in a cabinet so I couldn't hear it. When I picked up the first new Hitachi HD31000IDK / 7K1000 I was amazed at how quiet it was. I didn't change the AAM because I put it in the Ministack and wanted it to run at the best performance level. But as mentioned they are very quiet out of the box and would probably be even quieter with the AAM tuned down...something that wouldn't affect TiVo. I was going to use the older one and a new one in the NAS but the new one was so much quieter and ran so much cooler than the old one that I ordered two more. I put them both in the NAS. All is quiet and cool on the western front. The old one is on the shelf as a backup for now...maybe I'll e-bay it I don't know. In any case, these new Hitachi drives seem to be very high quality and are quite nice IMHO.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #4523
BrianM83

I'm pretty sure my series 3 hard drive is failing. It is slow to respond to commands and will restart itself. The kick start 54 test failed the extend test with "fail 7". not sure what that means. My plan is to replace the hard drive and I don't care if I lose my recorded programs. The instructions seems pretty easy. It seems like everyone is going with the WD drives, but my problem is I only have a laptop so I dont think I would be able to disable Intellipark.

My question is what hard drive would be the best for me to use as a replacement? Why does it seem everyone is going with the WD drives? I want something reliable and also quiet. 1Tb would be nice, but I'd be happy with 500gb.

Do you think I will have problems with the swap since my original drive is on its way out?

Last edited by BrianM83 : 01-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.
BrianM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #4524
kookmyers

Quote:
hey kookmyers,

could you elaborate on how you were able to disable Intellipark "feature." Like what exactly I have to do if I need to open up my computer or can I run a program for this?

thanks,

jason
Jason,
I wasnt exactly successful at disabling the Intellipark feature. I had to set it to the max value. Everything that you need is listed on the first page. Click on the "internal drive upgrade" link at the top, then scroll down to the list of recommended drives. Under that, there is a blurb about why certain drives were removed from the list and then there is a section that talks about what is needed to disable Intellipark. If you follow those steps and cannot disable it like i was not able to, send the command :
wdidle3 /S255
as suggested by Waiting485. (Thanks Waiting485!)
kookmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #4525
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM83 View Post
I'm pretty sure my series 3 hard drive is failing. It is slow to respond to commands and will restart itself. The kick start 54 test failed the extend test with "fail 7". not sure what that means. My plan is to replace the hard drive and I don't care if I lose my recorded programs. The instructions seems pretty easy. It seems like everyone is going with the WD drives, but my problem is I only have a laptop so I dont think I would be able to disable Intellipark.

My question is what hard drive would be the best for me to use as a replacement? Why does it seem everyone is going with the WD drives? I want something reliable and also quiet. 1Tb would be nice, but I'd be happy with 500gb.

Do you think I will have problems with the swap since my original drive is on its way out?
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum. Short answer...if it were me right now I would go with one of these two drives:

1TB Seagate Pipeline

http://www.provantage.com/seagate-st...s~7SEGS1XR.htm

1TB Hitachi Deskstar

http://www.frys.com/product/5947234?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The Seagate is an A/V dedicated drive (read: quiet) and there are several folks here using them successfully. The Hitachi is a "normal" PC drive but the acoustics can be tuned down to make it even quieter than it already is (see my description above). The first post included detailed instructions for changing the AAM (Auto Acoustic Management) to make them run quieter. It's quite easy to do. Either hard drive should serve you well.

Many (most?) of us have been using various models of the Western Digital GP/green hard drives for several years now. They are quiet, cool running and have had a very good track record. Unfortunately WD decided to modify their GP drives by employing an "Intellipark" feature that allows the drive to save (presumably) even more energy when not in use. Of course TiVo hard drives are in use 24/7 so the "feature" is moot and as you've probably read, these drives no longer play well with TiVo. Users of more recently manufactured WD GP hard drives have begun to disable Intellipark to be able to use them in their TiVo's. It doesn't sound too complicated but I'm not sure if that can be done with a laptop or not.

So for now, I'd consider something other than a WD drive and avoid the disappointment you might have trying to upgrade one using a laptop. BTW, were it not for the new Intellipark "feature" I would highly recommend the WD GP drives. The ones in our TiVo's have been flawless.

Oh, and as long as your TiVo will boot up properly you shouldn't have any problems using its hard drive to image a new one. But I'd do it sooner than later...things rarely get better when it comes to problematic hard drives.

Hope that helps and happy upgrading!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #4526
jeffw_00

why is the EARS better than the EVDS?

BTW - I don't think an EVDS should be downchecked for intellipark - it's fairly trivial to disable.
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #4527
jagsgo

hey guys for anyone who has already disabled the Intellipark "feature." I have a laptop will I have to completely open my laptop in order to connect the sata cable from the WD drive to my motherboard? Or can I use a sata-usb adapter to do it? Opening my laptop to access the motherboard seems pretty complicated isn't it? Is there any other way around it?

thanks,

jason
Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #4528
BrianM83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
why is the EARS better than the EVDS?

BTW - I don't think an EVDS should be downchecked for intellipark - it's fairly trivial to disable.
It seems pretty straight forward, but I only have a laptop, and from what Ive read I wont be able to disable it using a SATA to USB adapter. Correct me if I'm wrong becasue I would rather go with a WD drive, but becasue of this I'm giong to have to go with a Seagate.
BrianM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #4529
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM83 View Post
It seems pretty straight forward, but I only have a laptop, and from what Ive read I wont be able to disable it using a SATA to USB adapter. Correct me if I'm wrong becasue I would rather go with a WD drive, but becasue of this I'm giong to have to go with a Seagate.
With the existing CD image being supplied, you are correct. Can't disable it using a USB -> SATA adapter. I tried, no dice. Drive isn't recognized as being there, so the utility can't find it to disable Intellipark.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #4530
zeph55
BrianG

Does anyone have a url to a list for the latest HDs recommended for Tivo Series HD.
My TIVO model is TCD652160; the original HD is WD1600AVBS, 160GB, July '07.

I had purchased a Seagate LP 1.5TB. Used the Winmfs tools and used the expand option along with restore of the original disk backups.
TIVO works for a few minutes at a time, 1.5 tb recognized. I
Did a 1. Uplug the TiVo for 10-15 seconds
2. Plug in the TiVo and hold the yellow pause button on the remote until the yellow light shows on the front of the TiVo.
3. Release the pause button and type 57.
Now I am stuck in a reboot cycle: 'Almost there. Just a few minutes more.'

Not sure if a "wdidle3 /D" would help.
So for tonight and for family happiness, I am replacing in the machine the original tivo WD HD.

Any recommendations for me?? Perhaps I should get a HD off the recommended list?
Or a Western Digital AV-GP WD15EVDS Hard Drive 1.50 TB - 3.5" - Internal? Or is there hope for the drive I have? I thought I was So Close to success.

The most current list I saw was:
Make Model Size Part # Intended for DVRs Noise (10=Best)
Hitachi Cinemastar 750GB HCS721075KLA330 Yes 7
Hitachi Cinemastar 1000GB HCS721010KLA330 Yes 7
Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB HD31000 No 8*
Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB HDT721010SLA360 No 8*
Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB HDS721010CLA332 No 8*
Hitachi Deskstar 1000GB HDS721010KLA330 No 7*
Seagate DB35 500GB ST3500830SCE Yes 8
Seagate DB35 750GB ST3750640SCE Yes 8
Seagate DB35 750GB ST3750840SCE Yes 8
Seagate Pipeline 500GB ST3500321CS Yes 9
Seagate Pipeline 500GB ST3500312CS Yes 9
Seagate Pipeline 1000GB ST31000533CS Yes 7