TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #421
LHMPDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred22 View Post
I will suggest that Tivo (and partners) really messed up this introduction. First, they missed the Season Premiers by a month or so when people were hot to capture/store new shows and then when they do finally release the OFFICIAL device, they did not plan on their popularity. Good luck finding one soon.
True, this is bad. Plus it looks like they will miss the Christmas season.

But no surprise. There was one year, maybe 2002, that there were no TiVos in the stores at Christmas.
LHMPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #422
keenanSR

Limiting the expansion to a drive that can not be found anywhere is a major blunder on TiVo's part. A friend of mine, who is a big-wig at one of the world's largest ad/media/marketing companies, who happens to have TiVo as a client, says this is fairly typical of Tivo. To put it bluntly, they are not the sharpest tacks around when it comes to marketing, and having available equipment to market a new feature certainly falls in that category.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #423
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeek View Post
Good luck expanding a Tivo HD with an external esata drive, which requires the WD My DVR model. They are not available on the WD website or on the Tivo web site or at any retail web site. The only retailer who partly claims to have them is Best Buy, but they are not available online and no store in Oregon (which I checked) has them. Good luck finding one.
That is frustrating. As mentioned previously, TiVo has an exclusive with BB to sell the WD DVR Expander so there's no need to look for it anywhere but TiVo or BB.

Of course you can still add an expansion drive to TiVo HD's by using WinMFS. It's quite easy, but for anyone not up for doing anything besides P&P it looks like it's W&S (wait and see).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #424
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Limiting the expansion to a drive that can not be found anywhere is a major blunder on TiVo's part. A friend of mine, who is a big-wig at one of the world's largest ad/media/marketing companies, who happens to have TiVo as a client, says this is fairly typical of Tivo. To put it bluntly, they are not the sharpest tacks around when it comes to marketing, and having available equipment to market a new feature certainly falls in that category.
There's absolutely no question that TiVo released the expansion capability before they had planned to. TiVo has basically said so. 9.2 was scheduled to be released in November, which would normally mean next week. 9.2 got released early because it fixed serious errors for some folks with SA cablecards. If they had stuck to their schedule, you wouldn't have even had a chance to get it before now! (And TiVo would have been much better prepared for the release).

I view this as flexibility in favor of the customer, and am glad TiVo did it, even though I have Motorola cablecards and wasn't affected by the fix. It's certainly not a "major blunder".
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #425
sfhub

Quote:
A friend of mine, who is a big-wig at one of the world's largest ad/media/marketing companies, who happens to have TiVo as a client, says this is fairly typical of Tivo. To put it bluntly, they are not the sharpest tacks around when it comes to marketing
Well, they've been able to convince people who paid for "lifetime" to continuously pay a $199 service fee ever 4 years. They've been good at marketing those
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #426
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
There's absolutely no question that TiVo released the expansion capability before they had planned to. TiVo has basically said so. 9.2 was scheduled to be released in November, which would normally mean next week. 9.2 got released early because it fixed serious errors for some folks with SA cablecards. If they had stuck to their schedule, you wouldn't have even had a chance to get it before now! (And TiVo would have been much better prepared for the release).

I view this as flexibility in favor of the customer, and am glad TiVo did it, even though I have Motorola cablecards and wasn't affected by the fix. It's certainly not a "major blunder".
I guess it depends on how you look at it. In 3 days starts the period when people spend the most money all year on items such as this, if TiVo had planned just a little bit better they could have taken advantage of that shopping period, as it is, not having drives available for people to buy is simply poor planning in my opinion.

They could very easily have just released this update without the expansion capability, the fact that the did tells me, they at the very least, wanted to take advantage of that shopping season. Whether it was WD or TiVo, somebody dropped the ball.

Who knows, by Friday maybe the stores will be flooded with the drives.

And for the record, the SA card issue was just one of many things worked on with this upgrade.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #427
meckel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeek View Post
Good luck expanding a Tivo HD with an external esata drive, which requires the WD My DVR model. They are not available on the WD website or on the Tivo web site or at any retail web site. The only retailer who partly claims to have them is Best Buy, but they are not available online and no store in Oregon (which I checked) has them. Good luck finding one.
Best Buy is getting more in. My local store in Richmond was out of stock last week, yesterday they were show 3 store in the area were in-stock. Pick one up during lunch. I would talk to a manager at your closest BBY find out when they get their replenishment truck (this time of year they should be getting several a week), or if you can special order one at the store.

Looks the the "Backordered: Usually leaves our warehouse within 1-2 weeks" is their normal out of stock message on the BBY website.

Having worked in forecasting product for retail, the reasons for the shortage could any number of reasons, not just Tivo's. It is hard to forecast demand on new product, even harder during the holiday time. Most hard drive have very low margin and being stuck with a lot that are not selling and have to be markeddown is a bad thing (speaking from the retailers POV),
So you tend to forecast on the conservative side on 'till you have some sales history. The issue with this is they (Tivo and or BBY) have been telling WD they need X now they say we need Y there is a lead time to make them and import them and with something like this they are not making a lot of backstock 'cause it is only in 2 companies.
Tivo could have underforecasted the demand to WD and BBY, not expecting it to sale as well as it is. It is also possible the BBY is getting all that WD has because they buy more from them in dollars, units, so WD wants to make BBY happy. Also WD may not have been able to make the amount wanted by the 2 retailers, thus causing the shortage, simular to the issues with the Wiis (on a much bigger scale of course)

Not to spark any rumors, but I know that Apple will stop selling iPods to retailers a month or so before the launch new ones to allow companies to sell out of the old ones before the news come in. I have no idea if that is the case, but I know it is comon pratice in CE.

My point is there are a lot of factors that can have caused this shortage other then Tivo messed, they could have, but it could have been BBY or WD who had the issue. Or we could just just buying more then they thought we would sooner then anyone thought.

I would guess we will see them come and go thought the holiday and stablize sometime in January, but I think we will be able to find, just comes down to timing
meckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #428
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Well, they've been able to convince people who paid for "lifetime" to continuously pay a $199 service fee ever 4 years. They've been good at marketing those

Sent you a PM

Last edited by keenanSR : 11-20-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #429
steinercat

I think I just picked up the last Expander in Las Vegas....until the next shipment comes in.

saw it online in 1 BB last night, went there 10AM today and just checked now, and out of stock again.

the last box was in the PC section. guy in Tivo department didn't know what the Expander was, but the guy over at PCs...immediately smiled and said "lucky guy" when he saw me picking the box up.
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #430
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I guess it depends on how you look at it. In 3 days starts the period when people spend the most money all year on items such as this, if TiVo had planned just a little bit better they could have taken advantage of that shopping period, as it is, not having drives available for people to buy is simply poor planning in my opinion.

They could very easily have just released this update without the expansion capability, the fact that the did tells me, they at the very least, wanted to take advantage of that shopping season. Whether it was WD or TiVo, somebody dropped the ball.
I don't think you understand how releases and beta testing work. (Note, I'm not in a TiVo beta). They were undoubtedly already beta testing 9.2 by the time the SA cablecard issue came up. They're not going to force all those people back to 9.1 just to do a quick test of the SA card fix. It would have extremely difficult to test and release the update without the expansion capability (not "very easily" as you say).

While there were other issues addressed in 9.2, TiVo has said the SA card issue forced the early release. It was a major serious flaw.

Besides, the supply deficit of the Expander has a very minor impact on TiVo revenue. TiVo makes no money on TiVo store items once overhead is considered. The only real issue is whether lack of the Expander in stores means people won't buy an S3 or TiVo HD unit. Given that people know the Expander is out there but back-ordered, I expect there will be very few sales lost.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #431
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by meckel View Post
<snip>My point is there are a lot of factors that can have caused this shortage other then Tivo messed, they could have, but it could have been BBY or WD who had the issue. Or we could just just buying more then they thought we would sooner then anyone thought.

I would guess we will see them come and go thought the holiday and stablize sometime in January, but I think we will be able to find, just comes down to timing
All very good points. TiVo would have begun working on this at least a year ago or more. Historically software upgrades have been released near the end of the month. If their plan was to release v9.2x upgrade including the expansion feature right about now everything would have likely gone to plan. WD, BB and TiVo would all have been able to meet their immediate obligations with more units in the pipe.

The shortages, IMHO, are likely due to an early software release which caught everyone off guard...third party suppliers (WD), retailers, (BB) and TiVo marketing itself.

If TiVo R&D deemed that it was necessary to get the latest upgrade into the wild ASAP, everyone else involved would have had to make the best of an unexpected, unplanned and out-of-forecast situation.

No company in its right mind wants to lose sales of any sort; these kinds of situations benefit no one. Long-term planning can't always account for the unexpected. I’m not a TiVo apologist…they’ve certainly made mistakes in the past. However you can argue ad nauseum about the software bugs, supply chain issues, etc, but the bottom line is that when forecasts and solid planning are thrown out the window to address immediate issues, the end result generally benefits the widest audience possible. Fixing tens of thousands of DVR's immediately or satisfying the desires of a much smaller consumer population that wants more HDD space? The decision process was probably a very short one.

You can bet there are more than a few people working hard in the background to get things in order. This is a world of razor-thin margins and JIT (just in time) supply chain models. That TiVo was able to generate as much support for the product a good month ahead of schedule is more than a little surprising to me. It actually speaks well of TiVo's dedication to doing their best to make things right.

Take a deep breath and hang in there...my money says you’ll get your toys before Santa even gets his bags packed.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #432
steinercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
..... Fixing tens of thousands of DVR's immediately or satisfying the desires of a much smaller consumer population that wants more HDD space? ...
That pretty much sums it up.

I would imagine, the vast majority of TiVo owners, or at least first time buyers (in large part who are not part of this messageboard) actually would not even consider the Expander upgrade UNTIL they filled up or were near filling up the drive. Likewise, look at it from a cost perspective. $250 for the THD. How many would immediately pull out another $200 for an immediate upgrade?

In a highly competitive electronics market, the JIT (just in time) model, whether in the manufracturing or distribution channels is often the only way to minimize business risks. This isn't often convenient for impatient consumers like us....but may be the most logical way for TiVo.
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #433
jasel

FreeAgent 750 Drive on Series 3

I haven't kept up with the thread so if this has been discussed, my apologies.

Just added a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB eSata drive to my Series 3. It was about the same price as the official 'Expander' (which I have on my other box), but with 50% more space.

After the typical 'unsupported' scares, it went right on. It has no ventilation because the case is really just a giant aluminum heat sink. Dead silent in operation.

The only issue for some will be the orange glow it emits. But that can be easily masked if it becomes bothersome. It's very slick looking, like a little sculpture.

If you're considering something other than the official device, this might be the one to look at.

James
Series 3 (
one with ~100hrs HD, the other has ~130, or 1200+ SD)
SVR-2000 (140hrs. just watching the stuff left on it before I give it away)
jasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #434
leeherman

I went the "unsupported" route too.

I bought a Nexstar 3 eSATA fanless enclosure and 500 gbyte WD drive. Total $150. I'm using the eSATA cable that came with the enclosure.

I've been using for a year and a half the same enclosure with a 300 gbyte drive attached to my SA Explorer 8300HD. Never a problem.

The S3 picked up on the new drive immediately and I'm off and running.

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:43 AM   #435
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasel View Post
I haven't kept up with the thread so if this has been discussed, my apologies.

Just added a Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750GB eSata drive to my Series 3. It was about the same price as the official 'Expander' (which I have on my other box), but with 50% more space. <snip> If you're considering something other than the official device, this might be the one to look at.
Congratulations on getting everything set up and running.

Unfortunately the Free Agent Pro drives haven't been recommended since the first few weeks that expansion drives were added to S3's over six months ago for a number of reasons. Although there are still some in service at this time there have been many more reports of problems with the drives and how they affect TiVo; causing reboots, failing completely etc.

The problems with FAP drives were well documented in the original Series3 eSATA Drive Expansion in 8.x: FAQ + Discussion plus numerous posts beyond that.

Quote:
Are there any drives or enclosures I should avoid?

A number of members have reported problems with Cavalry CAUE37500 500Gb drives and the Seagate Free Agent Pro 750. Neither of these solutions was intended for 24/7 use.

Initially, these drives work just fine, but a significant number develop problems after a few days to a few weeks. This results in reboots and lost recordings. The source of the problem isn't known, but neither includes a fan, so it is possible that both lack sufficient cooling for 24/7 operation. If you take the risk and buy one of these drives, make sure it is stored in a cool, well-ventilated environment.

With regard to external enclosures, units with fans are greatly preferable if you intend to use it in an enclosed space (such as a cabinet) with limited ventilation.
One of the other often quoted problems was with the eSATA cable connections.

It's good that yours is working (hope this info doesn't burst your bubble) and it may continue to be fine going forward. But again, the Free Agent Pro drives are still not recommended. It might be worth exchanging for one of the recommended drives.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #436
Tiger87

Can I connect a 500GB Seagate Free Agent to a Series 3, via a USB 2.0 to eSATA connector?
Tiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #437
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger87 View Post
Can I connect a 500GB Seagate Free Agent to a Series 3, via a USB 2.0 to eSATA connector?
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately you cannot use a USB > eSATA adapter to connect an external drive to TiVo. It has to be eSATA II to eSATA II.

Again, as noted above, the FAP's are not recommended as expansion drives for TiVo.

The first post in this thread should have most of the answers to your questions.

BTW: Avoid cross-posting (asking the same question on more than one thread) as the moderators (and some irritable members) can get cranky.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #438
donaudio

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately you cannot use a USB > eSATA adapter to connect an external drive to TiVo. It has to be eSATA II to eSATA II.

Again, as noted above, the FAP's are not recommended as expansion drives for TiVo.

The first post in this thread should have most of the answers to your questions.

BTW: Avoid cross-posting (asking the same question on more than one thread) as the moderators (and some irritable members) can get cranky.
Earlier this year I bought a FAP 750, luckily it has a five year warranty. The first two died on me. When I got the third one I bought a Siig 6' cable and put a muffin fan behind the FAP since it is in an enclosed cabinet. So far it has been working for three months and the Tivo recognizes it. 131 hours HD. It is cool to the touch
donaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:01 AM   #439
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaudio View Post
Earlier this year I bought a FAP 750, luckily it has a five year warranty. The first two died on me. When I got the third one I bought a Siig 6' cable and put a muffin fan behind the FAP since it is in an enclosed cabinet. So far it has been working for three months and the Tivo recognizes it. 131 hours HD. It is cool to the touch
As mentioned earlier, it's good to hear some FAP's are still working.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #440
fred22

While I've said it before, too, my FAP 750 has been working since I altered a monoprice cable (trimming rubber) which was somewhere around June (I should find the receipt). Ah, I traced back the software installation on my PC and found I installed the FAP on May 19th. So (with fingers crossed), it appears to be working.
fred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #441
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred22 View Post
While I've said it before, too, my FAP 750 has been working since I altered a monoprice cable (trimming rubber) which was somewhere around June (I should find the receipt). Ah, I traced back the software installation on my PC and found I installed the FAP on May 19th. So (with fingers crossed), it appears to be working.
Also good to hear that yours has worked from the start.

Unfortunately there's another post about an FAP having trouble today. It sounds like a cable issue as well...but hard to say so far.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #442
Z06_Pilot

so, just to clear up any confusion I have.

If I get the certified drive at BB, part #WDG1S5000VN, can I use the eSATA cable that comes with it successfully on my S3, or do I need to order the SIIG cable to ensure everything works properly?

I ask since i am not actually ordering it from Tivo, i was not sure the included cable is the same one provided by the Tivo ordered unit, and if it certified to work.

3 of the BB's in my area have the unit in stock, and I may brave the crowds to try to get a couple as I am getting low on space on my S3's!!

thanks folks for clearing this up for me.

Jeff
Z06_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #443
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post
so, just to clear up any confusion I have.

If I get the certified drive at BB, part #WDG1S5000VN, can I use the eSATA cable that comes with it successfully on my S3, or do I need to order the SIIG cable to ensure everything works properly?

I ask since i am not actually ordering it from Tivo, i was not sure the included cable is the same one provided by the Tivo ordered unit, and if it certified to work.

3 of the BB's in my area have the unit in stock, and I may brave the crowds to try to get a couple as I am getting low on space on my S3's!!

thanks folks for clearing this up for me.

Jeff
Yes, the BB drive should be exactly the same as the one sold by TiVo and you should be able to use the supplied cable without any problems.

IIRC there was one instance where the cable that came with the "approved device" was bad (very loose connections) and they had to return everything to TiVo, but that's the only problem that's come up AFAIK.

Don't hurt any old folks or pregnant ladies in your quest!

EDIT: I just noticed that BB has updated their model number to WDG1S5000VN as you indicated. However on their business website it is still WDG1S5000. WD still lists the My DVR Expander as WDG1S5000. I'm certain they are one in the same, but be sure the box says "My DVR Expander" and it is not a "My Book" model.

Last edited by richsadams : 11-24-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #444
Z06_Pilot

thanks Rich!

the BB I went to had only two, bought them both. they indeed did have the "Tivo approved" sticker on them.

both installed on my S3's with no issues and now I have 98 hours capacity of HD goodness(approximately, of course).....

thanks again.....
jeff
Z06_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #445
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post
thanks Rich!

the BB I went to had only two, bought them both. they indeed did have the "Tivo approved" sticker on them.

both installed on my S3's with no issues and now I have 98 hours capacity of HD goodness(approximately, of course).....

thanks again.....
jeff
Woo hoo! Now all you have to do is find the time to watch all of that great HD programming!
Old 11-25-2007, 04:06 AM   #446
berfy

Big Grin

Woo Hoo!!

On a lark I clicked on the "in store pick up" link at the Best Buy Website and by some miracle of the Tivo Goddess, out of the fifteen BB's in the Los Angeles area there was 1 "My DVR" to be had located at the BB just 2 miles from my house!

Boy do I feel lucky! I immediately paid for the Drive online and twenty minutes later I received an email informing me that my Drive was ready for pick-up!

I promptly returned the Seagate 500 GB drive that I had bought out of sheer desperation the day before yesterday.

Anybody looking at BB's website and getting discouraged by the "on Back-order" notice I strongly urge you to click on the "in store pick up" link and hope for the best.

It worked for me!!
berfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:09 AM   #447
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by berfy View Post
Anybody looking at BB's website and getting discouraged by the "on Back-order" notice I strongly urge you to click on the "in store pick up" link and hope for the best.
The Best Buy stores in my area appear to receive a handful every week.

They sell out within 2-3 days, so if you are only checking the site once or twice a week, you'll probably miss out.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #448
dtphonehome

Quote:
As mentioned earlier, it's good to hear some FAP's are still working.
I'll add to that...my FAP 750 gave me some trouble in the summertime, when I suspect that the drive was overheating due to my habit of turning off the air conditioning whenever possible (and that the drive was in an enclosed cabinet to boot). I got an Antec laptop cooler (with two fans built-in) for like 15 bucks, and lay the drive flat on it to maximize exposure to the air stream. It's been running cool and problem-free ever since. I got the drive several months ago at BB for like $175 and I still haven't seen a better deal.

Last edited by dtphonehome : 11-26-2007 at 11:01 AM.
dtphonehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #449
naclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtphonehome View Post
I'll add to that...my FAP 750 gave me some trouble in the summertime, when I suspect that the drive was overheating due to my habit of turning off the air conditioning whenever possible (and that the drive was in an enclosed cabinet to boot). I got an Antec laptop cooler (with two fans built-in) for like 15 bucks, and lay the drive flat on it to maximize exposure to the air stream. It's been running cool and problem-free ever since. I got the drive several months ago at BB for like $175 and I still haven't seen a better deal.
I haven't had any problem with my FAP either. I think the bulk of early probs with it were cable related.

out of curiosity, are you plugging your laptop cooler directly into the TiVo USB slot? That looks like a pretty good solution.
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #450
dtphonehome

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
I haven't had any problem with my FAP either. I think the bulk of early probs with it were cable related.

out of curiosity, are you plugging your laptop cooler directly into the TiVo USB slot? That looks like a pretty good solution.
I actually plugged it into the USB port on my Airport Express (which the Tivo is plugged into for network access). I suppose the Tivo USB port would work as well, assuming it is powered.
dtphonehome is offline   Reply With Quote