Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #4441
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
Silly question -why are people buying the WD10EADS when WD10EVDS is available? why muck with intellipark if you don't have to?
/j
It's all about when you bought the drive and what the date of manufacture was. The EVDS drives are just starting to show up with the Intellipark problem.

I did two TiVo HD upgrades (in October and November) using EVDS drives that worked fine...

... but that was after my first attempt failed. I ordered an EVVS drive and it was delivered the same day it was taken off the recommended list in this thread. The new EVVS drives were starting to show the Intellipark problem during the week the drive was being shipped .The Intellipark problem (only recently diagnosed) is gradually migrating to other WD drives like the EADS and EVDS.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #4442
richsadams

Quote:
Silly question -why are people buying the WD10EADS when WD10EVDS is available? why muck with intellipark if you don't have to?
/j
If you go back through the recent posts you'll find that the WD10EVDS also began displaying the same Intellipark issue with drives manufactured in November.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:46 AM   #4443
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by usurpah View Post
Hi Rich. I can confirm that the TiVo restarts normally when selecting restart from the settings screen. No issues at all.
Sweet and thanks for that. Looks like your WD10EADS' October manufacture date was early enough to miss the Intellipark change over. Enjoy!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #4444
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
It's all about when you bought the drive and what the date of manufacture was. The EVDS drives are just starting to show up with the Intellipark problem.

I did two TiVo HD upgrades (in October and November) using EVDS drives that worked fine...
I don't suppose you recall the November date on your EVDS? It would be better if we could specify a specific date that WD added Intellipark to the WD10EVDS, rather than "sometime in November."
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #4445
sweez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeefhead View Post
From this thread I have learned that Intellipark affects soft-boots. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know if Intellipark could contribute to picture freezing? I have the EADS and am experiencing pretty frequent freezes.

2) When wdidle3 is used on a drive that has been servicing a TiVo HD, are all recordings lost?
1. It's possible since the assumption is that the feature is aggressively parking the read/write heads on the drives. I can also say that I experienced the same on my EADS drive two weeks ago. I knew this was a sign the hd was dying. Problem was confirmed by a WD diagnostic tools test. Simple test didnt complete. Read errors were reported. I ordered a replacement EADS before knowing about the Intellipark issue. Working fine. As a precaution, I disabled Intellipark on the new EADS. I'll create another posting detailing my upgrade experience.

2. Wont affect recordings, but chances are disabling it will be too late. I disabled the feature on the old drive and the WD tools still reported read errors. The hd was dying.

Last edited by sweez : 12-30-2009 at 05:59 AM.
sweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 AM   #4446
sweez

Just thought I would contribute my experience on using a newly purchased EADS drive for my Tivo HD.

Six months ago, purchased a EADS from Zipzoomfly. Was able to swap out the original WD 160 drive easily. The EADS drive was working fine and quietly over the past six months until two weeks ago the Tivo starting acting funny.

It starting freezing on a couple of recorded programs and during live TV. Then it rebooted itself. I immediately suspected the drive was starting to die. About 90% of the time there was no freezing. However, I quickly ordered a new EADS from Newegg knowing this would only get worse over time. The drive arrived the next day (oh, how I love their fast shipping).

To refresh my mind on the upgrade instructions, I came here. I was shocked to see the EADS was no longer recommended. Luckily, there was info to make it work (thanks to drey!). I figured it was better to try that than return for a restocking fee or delay the repair.

The new EADS I received was dated September 2009. Same firmware and model as the old one. Old one was dated July 2009.
Model Number: WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0
Firmware Number: 01.00A01
I was hoping to get a good backup from the old EADS using winmfs. Hooked up to a USB SATA enclosure. Completed successfully. Phew!

Ran the WD diag tool, windlg, on the old EADS. It reported read errors on the simple test.
06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete!
Status code = 07 (Failed read test element)
Failure Checkpoint = 105 (Unknown Test)
SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Tested the new EADS with windlg as a precaution. Completed both simple and extended tests. Extended test took over 8 hours using USB/SATA. Simple test took less than 5 minutes.

Ran wdidle3 /r on both old and new EADS using another machine with SATA on the motherboard. Both were enabled and set at 8000 milliseconds.

Then restored the backup to the new drive using winmfs. Connected it to the Tivo HD. Got past "Powering up" msg. Flickered and showed "almost there" msg. Flickered again and rebooted to "Powering up" msg. Then I got the Green screen saying Tivo needed to do a repair and would take three hours. I shutdown Tivo. At that point, I wasnt sure if the backup I had was good or it was somehow the Intellipark issue on the new drive.

Then I tried disabling Intellipark on the old drive using wdidle3 /d. Put back into the Tivo HD. Booted fine. I concluded Intellipark didnt make difference whether on or off on my two EADS drives. I figured I had a less than perfect backup.

Reconnected the new drive and the same Green Tivo repair screen appeared. Let it run its course this time. Completed after 3 hours and then booted fine. I guess the backup wasnt perfect. Tivo was able to repair it.

Decided to disable Intellipark on the new EADS just in case this was the cause of the old drive failing. It booted up fine in the Tivo HD.

Just something to note, the Tivo To Do List was missing stuff from my Season Passes. I reordered the Season Pass list. That didnt fix it. I added a new show to the Season Pass and that got the To Do List to reindex.

Everything is working fine now, Tivo and the new EADS drive. The old EADS drive was still under warranty. Returning to WD for a replacement.

Thanks to everyone in the community. Reading your experiences truly helps! Hope this helps someone in return.

Last edited by sweez : 12-30-2009 at 06:03 AM.
sweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #4447
jeffw_00

Where can I get wdidle3.exe? - the link in the post in the first page doesn't appear to work.

I did find it here

http://home.arcor.de/ghostadmin/wdidle3_1_00.zip

Is this the same thing? (txt file says version 1.00 for DOS, copyright 2005 - 2008)

Also - some people mention setting the timer to a different value - is this better than disabling it?

Thanks!
/j

(I have an EVDS I'm putting in this weekend, it's dated 10/15 but I'm going to wdidle it first anyway, - can't hurt, apparently)

Last edited by jeffw_00 : 12-30-2009 at 09:11 AM.
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #4448
mrbeefhead

sweez, thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your experience. may I ask how long it took to back up your old EADS? i'm going to replace my EADS but am really not looking forward to losing all of my recordings.
mrbeefhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #4449
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I don't suppose you recall the November date on your EVDS? It would be better if we could specify a specific date that WD added Intellipark to the WD10EVDS, rather than "sometime in November."
Even though I ordered the drives in October and November, the date on both was 01 AUG 2009. I probably got some of the last from the older batch at Amazon. Lucky for me or I would have repeated my EVVS experience.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #4450
drey

Quote:
Where can I get wdidle3.exe? - the link in the post in the first page doesn't appear to work.

I did find it here

http://home.arcor.de/ghostadmin/wdidle3_1_00.zip

Is this the same thing? (txt file says version 1.00 for DOS, copyright 2005 - 2008)

Also - some people mention setting the timer to a different value - is this better than disabling it?

Thanks!
/j

(I have an EVDS I'm putting in this weekend, it's dated 10/15 but I'm going to wdidle it first anyway, - can't hurt, apparently)
Not sure why link doesn't work for you. It works for me just fine.

You can certainly use the above wdidel3 if you like, but you'd have to make a bootable CD on your own.

Note, that if you use wdidle3 version 1.03, the timer will be set to a long time but not actually disabled. If you use wdidle3 version 1.0, the timer will be disabled. In my experience disabling the timer resolve the issue with soft-reboot every single time, while setting to 65 sec or longer was hit or miss. I'd personally would suggest disabling the timer.

-- Andrey
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #4451
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by drey View Post
Not sure why link doesn't work for you. It works for me just fine.

You can certainly use the above wdidel3 if you like, but you'd have to make a bootable CD on your own.
Some employers block t i n y u r l, I think.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #4452
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Some employers block t i n y u r l, I think.
I think you're right.

jeffw_00, you can send me PM if you need a direct link. You're not doing drive upgrades while at work, are you?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #4453
jeffw_00

Quote:
Originally Posted by drey View Post
I think you're right.

jeffw_00, you can send me PM if you need a direct link. You're not doing drive upgrades while at work, are you?
No, not at work - appears my hosts-file protection was blocking it. Got it now.
thanks
/j

So does the iso image run 1.00 (good) or 1.03 (not so good)? (ANSWER: 1.0)

Last edited by jeffw_00 : 12-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #4454
fpage77

I just ran wdidle3 /D on my WD5000AVDS and showed as feature disabled. I double checked by running the command wdidle3 again by itself and confirmed it shows as disabled. I've booted my TiVo and once up all the way went in and choose to do a restart and wouldn't you know it it goes past powering up screen and boots. Thanks drey!
fpage77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #4455
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpage77 View Post
I just ran wdidle3 /D on my WD5000AVDS and showed as feature disabled. I double checked by running the command wdidle3 again by itself and confirmed it shows as disabled. I've booted my TiVo and once up all the way went in and choose to do a restart and wouldn't you know it it goes past powering up screen and boots. Thanks drey!
You're very welcome! Enjoy your 500GB drive!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #4456
mellenfan

I have wdidle3.exe on my computer - when I run it from a DOS screen it was cannot execute. When I simply double click the exe file a window pops up and then disppears.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, will this also work for Hitachi drives?
mellenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #4457
jeffw_00

it doesn't run in windows. you need to boot your PC into DOS (what's provided in the FAQ is an ISO image to burn to CD and boot off of).
Old 01-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #4458
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellenfan View Post
I have wdidle3.exe on my computer - when I run it from a DOS screen it was cannot execute. When I simply double click the exe file a window pops up and then disppears.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, will this also work for Hitachi drives?
(1) Are you running it from DOS, or from a command prompt inside Windows? It won't work properly inside Windows.

(2) The utility is from Western Digital, designed by them for the drives that they manufacture. Not Hitachi's drives.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #4459
selectplayselect

updated config tips for WD10EADS drives

Hello. I just upgraded a TivoHD with a 1tb WD10EADS drive that I ordered quite some time ago (drive is dated 7 Aug 2009). This thread was a big help, but I still had to hunt a few things down that changed a bit over time. I thought I'd post a quick summary in case others are going down the same path.

First, to set the acoustic management values in the drive, one must use an older version of the Hitachi Feature Tool than is currently available from the Hitachi website. I found that version 2.05 of the feature tool is included with the Ultimate Boot CD 4.1.1. and it works fine. It's a free download. My drive had the acoustic management disabled by default. I enabled it, and set the value to 128, the most quiet.

Also, I had issues with wdidle3.exe, the DOS utility that allows one to disable the Intellipark feature that is becoming common on WD Green drives. I burned the ISO to CD, but had problems with the included DOS CDROM driver not recognizing many of my optical devices. Also, wdidle3.exe seems picky about which SATA controllers it likes. To simplify things, I ended up putting the wdidle3.exe file onto a Win98 DOS boot floppy that worked everywhere, then I tried various motherboards with onboard SATA until I found one that allowed wdidle3.exe to see the drive.

Once I got that far, I used wd3idle to confirm that my drive had "idle3" enabled, which seems to be the indication for the Intellipark feature. I tried using "wdidle3 /D" to disable Intellipark, but it would not work. There was no error reported, but subsequent runs of wdidle would show that the drive still had "idle3" enabled and set to some small number of milliseconds. As a workaround, I used "wdidle3 /S255" to set the "idle3" delay to 25500 milliseconds. That solved the Tivo soft reboot hang problem for me.
selectplayselect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #4460
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectplayselect View Post
First, to set the acoustic management values in the drive, one must use an older version of the Hitachi Feature Tool than is currently available from the Hitachi website. I found that version 2.05 of the feature tool is included with the Ultimate Boot CD 4.1.1. and it works fine. It's a free download. My drive had the acoustic management disabled by default. I enabled it, and set the value to 128, the most quiet.
Note the first post to this thread (the FAQ) links to the Hitachi Feature Tool v2.11 boot CD that allows AAM adjustment. That function was changed in 2.12+.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #4461
HazelW

Note if you have a fairly recent computer your SATA may be set to AHCI in teh BIOS. If so, DOS will not recognize your disks. Reset to SATA in the BIOS and it should work fine.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #4462
selectplayselect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Note if you have a fairly recent computer your SATA may be set to AHCI in teh BIOS. If so, DOS will not recognize your disks. Reset to SATA in the BIOS and it should work fine.
What I eventually deduced is that DOS access to SATA drives won't work with any of the PCI SATA controller cards I could find, only integrated motherboard SATA. Also, if there are multiple SATA controllers on the motherboard, then DOS might only be able to see drives on one of them. Changing AHCI in the bios is also important. Once DOS is happy, wdidle3.exe should be able to see and manipulate the drive settings.

Last edited by selectplayselect : 01-03-2010 at 04:40 PM.
selectplayselect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #4463
yukit

Upgraded HDXL with Hitachi 2TB drive

I picked up an Hitachi Deathstar 2TB (HD32000 IDK/7K) for my desktop or NAS upgrade, but I figured I would try the Tivo upgrade.

Mfscopy took about 3.5 hours to copy from an original drive with WinMfs.
I have managed to complete the upgrade without missing any regularly scheduled recordings

The HDXL did not boot up the first time, it got stuck on "Powering up" for about 10mins, so I had to hard reboot again. The soft reboot with Restart menu option took about 5 mins till the THX logo.

This drive may not be as quiet (I have already set AAM to 128) as the WD GP drive, but my spouse has not noticed the difference. I will probably end up swapping the drive for a WD GP 2TB eventually.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #4464
dgarrick

Expansion and large video collection

I would like to add an esata Antec MX-1 Seagate 1.5tb drive to my Tivo HD. I see and understand the expansion instructions for building your own eSata drive. BUT what I do not see addressed is the resultant Now Play List view.

I want to pre-load the expansion drive with several thousand videos (avi, mpg, etc. - includes a lot of video shorts) which are in multi-level folders (more than two levels in some cases). I assume the resultant NPL will be very, very long and time-consuming to navigate?

Currently I play the videos from a networked drive but it is very time-consuming to transfer a "playlist" of musical shorts from my collection one-at-a-time during a viewing session.

Can I build the eSata expansion drive, pre-load it with several thousand videos, plug it into the Tivo, crank it up, and see the videos with their multi-level folders in the Now Playing List, navigate into the multi-level folders, click & play?

1) Can you in fact pre-load the expansion drive?
2) If not, how the transfer thousands of multi-level folders so that they show up somewhere in the NPL without making the NPL too long?
3) Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for any help!
dgarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #4465
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrick View Post
Can I build the eSata expansion drive, pre-load it with several thousand videos, plug it into the Tivo, crank it up, and see the videos with their multi-level folders in the Now Playing List, navigate into the multi-level folders, click & play?

1) Can you in fact pre-load the expansion drive?
No, that won't work.

Quote:
2) If not, how the transfer thousands of multi-level folders so that they show up somewhere in the NPL without making the NPL too long?
3) Is there a better way to do this?
Your best bet would probably be to set up a networked drive and run pytivo. Pytivo will retain the folder structure, so that part wouldn't be a problem. As long as your network is fast enough, then you should be able to just "click & play" on any video on your drive.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #4466
dgarrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
Your best bet would probably be to set up a networked drive and run pytivo.
Actually that is what I am doing now and it does work but not well-suited for 1000's of video shorts.

Any way to add expansion drive and then reconstruct multi-level folder structures on the NPL by transferring the video content from the network drive to the NPL?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by dgarrick : 01-04-2010 at 12:19 PM.
dgarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #4467
bkdtv

Quote:
Any way to add expansion drive and then reconstruct multi-level folder structures on the NPL by transferring the video content from the network drive to the NPL?
Unfortunately, the current TiVo software does not support subfolders for videos stored on the DVR.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #4468
jeffw_00

is it worthwhile to enable acoustic management on the new WD Green drives (like WD10EVDS)? How much difference does it really make? Does it ever cause problems?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #4469
richsadams

Quote:
is it worthwhile to enable acoustic management on the new WD Green drives (like WD10EVDS)? How much difference does it really make? Does it ever cause problems?
Hey Jeff. I haven't used the EVDS model but have experience with WD's EACS, EVCS and EADS lines. All three were very quiet out of the box (5400 RPM drives are fairly quiet as compared to 7200 RPM drives anyway). I lowered the AAM on all three, but I have to admit that after doing so there wasn't a whole lot of difference to my ears...and that was with them sitting bare on top of my computer. Inside TiVo I'd think it wouldn't make much of an impact. I've never had any problems with drives after adjusting the AAM. AFAIK no one else has either.

If it were a TiVo in my bedroom I'd go the extra mile, but otherwise I don't think I'll make any adjustments if I have the occasion to get another one. YMMV of course.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #4470
doctord

Quote:
Jeff,

I just installed a W10EADS in a TiVo HD for my bedroom after trying a couple of other brands that were too loud (Seagate and Hitatchi). Before I installed the WD drive, I turned off the head parking and set the AAM to 128. It was super quiet but I was experiencing some strange behavior. It only occurred when I was transferring video to the bedroom unit from my Series 3. I would see some stuttering on live TV and had some menu hang-ups such as when I hit the NPL it would would show up on top of the video without the background and hang. Strangely enough it didn't seem to happen while transferring video from my computer, only the S3.
I originally thought that it might have something to do with the wireless connection, so I ran an Ethernet cable to the bedroom. Same issues. I took the drive out and it tested fine. I decided to exchange it for another one because I was convinced that it had to be bad. When I put the new WD drive in the HD, I forgot to set the AAM and although it was quiet, I could still hear it faintly at night. I did not notice any of the bad behavior that I was having with the first drive and thought I was home free. Last night I took the drive back out to set the AAM to 128. The drive is now virtually silent but the stuttering and menu hangs are back intermittently when transferring.

My opinion is that the drives are quiet enough out of the box for any room but a bedroom and when you turn down the AAM it does affect drive performance. I would try it first without setting the AAM and see what you think.
doctord is offline   Reply With Quote