TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #4321
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowser View Post
I'm pretty new to this and I didn't want to mess around with the internal drive till I got a feel for doing upgades with winmfs on a external drive. I couldn't get the new external drive working at first. Power up would hang. In retrospect it wouldn't have been any harder upgrading the internal drive. I probably will upgrade the internal drive in the future. Your posts about having the original drive on the shelf as a spare or troubleshooting tool is a good idea.
With that particular WD model, your experience upgrading the internal probably would have wound up like mine... heh.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #4322
Spenner

I burned the image to CD, and when I boot from the CD there's not wdidle3.exe on it. I get the messages:

CD-ROM Device Driver for IDE (Four Channels Supported)
Driver Version : V340
Device Name : BANANA
No drives found, aborting installation

Device driver not found: 'BANANA'
No valid CDROM device drives selected.

A dir listing on A: shows a bunch of DOS files. Changing to all the other drives B: through Z: get an invalid drive message.
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #4323
dwgsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lns4667 View Post
WD10eads-00m2b0 (2-platters) firmware rev 1.00a01
WD10eads-00l5b1 (3-platters) firmware rev 1.01a01
Interesting. Today I received yet another version of this drive, purchased from Amazon:

WD10eads-00p8b0

It was made in Malaysia, manufactured 01 Nov 2009.

I was planning to use it to replace the internal drive in my TivoHD (I ordered it when the FAQ still listed this model as being compatible with the TivoHD). What do you think - should I even bother hooking it up and trying it, or just return it to Amazon for a different model?
dwgsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #4324
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
I burned the image to CD, and when I boot from the CD there's not wdidle3.exe on it. I get the messages:

A dir listing on A: shows a bunch of DOS files. Changing to all the other drives B: through Z: get an invalid drive message.
Well, you must have extracted the iso from the rar OK to get that far, but perhaps the burn was bad. When I boot my cd I get about a half a page of dos type info. I never get this...No drives found, aborting installation

It goes to drive A: and a dir does show a bunch of dos files, but no wdidle3.exe..

However, if I switch to drive R I do see wdidle3.exe. Perhaps it did not create the virtual drives. I got drive R and S.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #4325
drey

Quote:

I set up that boot CD to set the CD/DVD-ROM drive letter to R:. If you have more than one drive, it would be R:, S:, T:. etc...

If your drive is EIDE or SATA, it will work. If it is USB, it won't. Also, make sure you didn't disconnect it somehow while connecting the drive.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 AM   #4326
Spenner

My PC has only one CD/DVD drive (SATA), the one that the boot CD is in. So what's the "banana" about? The PC boots successfully boots from the CD I burned, then what?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #4327
drey

Quote:
My PC has only one CD/DVD drive (SATA), the one that the boot CD is in. So what's the "banana" about? The PC boots successfully boots from the CD I burned, then what?
BANANA is the most common driver for CD/DVD drives. Although it is possible that some CD/DVD drives are not compatible (Sony, for example). Do you know the brand/make of your DVD drive?

Last edited by drey : 12-17-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #4328
lns4667
Lionel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgsp View Post
Interesting. Today I received yet another version of this drive, purchased from Amazon:

WD10eads-00p8b0

I was planning to use it to replace the internal drive in my TivoHD (I ordered it when the FAQ still listed this model as being compatible with the TivoHD). What do you think - should I even bother hooking it up and trying it, or just return it to Amazon for a different model?
That is where I purchased mine, I guess you never know what you are going to get. As far as returning it thats really a choice whether or not you want to try to disable the intellipark feature with wdidle3.exe A few have reported success but its not written in stone (yet).
lns4667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #4329
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgsp View Post

WD10eads-00p8b0

I don't recognize the "p8" in that model number. I dunno, if you're adventurous, disable Intellipark on it and give it a whirl. I doubt your experience will wind up worse than mine; all that happened to me was the Tivo wouldn't boot, I banged my head on it for hours trying to make it work, talked with these guys a bit, then took it back
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #4330
MPSAN

Quote:
When it does boot, do you get an A: prompt? If so does a DIR give a listing of lots of DOS files? That is what mine does and when I go to R: or S: I forgot which, I then do a DIR and get wdidle3.exe.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #4331
Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
When it does boot, do you get an A: prompt? If so does a DIR give a listing of lots of DOS files? That is what mine does and when I go to R: or S: I forgot which, I then do a DIR and get wdidle3.exe.
Yes it boots to the A: prompt, where DIR lists a bunch of DOS files. But before the A: prompt is the message about No valid device driver: BANANA.

So I did some googling, and found that BANANA is a common CDROM driver, which is what this particular boot CD is using. But apparently it doesn't work on my computer, which is a 1-yr-old Dell.

However, I was able to download The Ultimate Boot CD to create a new bootable CD with wdidle3 (downloaded separately). Booted to the new CD, ran wdidle on my drive successfully. But it didn't fix my Tivo problem, so the drive must be bad.

Well, at least I have my TivoHD running on it's original 160GB drive, and after the new year I'll see about getting this WD warranteed.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #4332
MPSAN

Quote:
Yes it boots to the A: prompt, where DIR lists a bunch of DOS files. But before the A: prompt is the message about No valid device driver: BANANA.

So I did some googling, and found that BANANA is a common CDROM driver, which is what this particular boot CD is using. But apparently it doesn't work on my computer, which is a 1-yr-old Dell.

However, I was able to download The Ultimate Boot CD to create a new bootable CD with wdidle3 (downloaded separately). Booted to the new CD, ran wdidle on my drive successfully. But it didn't fix my Tivo problem, so the drive must be bad.

Well, at least I have my TivoHD running on it's original 160GB drive, and after the new year I'll see about getting this WD warranteed.
Yes, I have also used UBCD at times. Sorry it did not work. Someone said the /D did not work for them but that /S255 did. I do not have that issue so have not needed to try it. I only downloaded the software just in case I buy another drive.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #4333
drey

WD just announced a new series of WD Green drives: WD10EARS, WD15EARS and WD20EARS. They appear to be the same as WDxEADS, although with much larger cache of 64MB and possible performance boost of 7.5%.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?driveid=763

From what I'm hearing from my sources, the Intellipark "feature" has been modified in them to eliminate the head parking problem.

I'm going to order a few drives from my supplier as soon as they become available and try them.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #4334
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drey View Post
WD just announced a new series of WD Green drives: WD10EARS, WD15EARS and WD20EARS. They appear to be the same as WDxEADS, although with much larger cache of 64MB and possible performance boost of 7.5%.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?driveid=763

From what I'm hearing from my sources, the Intellipark "feature" has been modified in them to eliminate the head parking problem.

I'm going to order a few drives from my supplier as soon as they become available and try them.
Ha..."Ears", I love it. TiVo can't take advantage of the added cache, but let's hope these ones turn out to be quiet, cool and boot-problem free! Oh, and inexpensive. TIA for checking them out.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #4335
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

As they say, "I'm all EARS, TEE-vo!"

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #4336
jeffw_00

ok - I was about to order this

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...5842388&sr=8-1

but are you guys saying there could be a problem? What -should- I order?

(and if there is a problem - someone should edit page 1)
THANKS!
/j

[oh wait, maybe never mind? Are the problems confined to the EADS?
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #4337
watts

OK so I have the WD10EVDS 1TB. I am having the problem of getting stuck on the powering up screen. I tried the boot CD with wdidle3 but get the screen with no valid device banana screen. What do I have to do to get the wdidle3 to run?

I thought that buying the EVDS model I would not have any problems. Is there hope for getting this drive to work internally on the tivo? If not what models are good and available now?
watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #4338
jeffw_00

have you run conventional diags on the drive?
jeffw_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #4339
watts

yes they all came back fine. Has anyone else had problems with this model. It does have a sticker saying GreenPower on it.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #4340
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by watts View Post
yes they all came back fine. Has anyone else had problems with this model. It does have a sticker saying GreenPower on it.
Did you do a truncated backup or a full backup described in the first post?? Do you disable your antivirus/security software prior to doing the upgrade?

What's the build date on your WD10EVDS? If there is a problem with that drive, it is new. Your post is the first I've seen that suggests a problem with the WD10EVDS.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #4341
innocentfreak

I know the person who posts the twitter feed for Tivoblog was also having issues with a new EVDS drive. I told them to post here, but I think they only posted over at MFSlive. They did say they got an error though during the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #4342
watts

I did not disable my antivirus. I am working on turning that off now. I did do a trucated backup to my harddrive, but I used the original drive for the upgrade. Steps 13-22 for a new internal drive and an external drive. I was using the orig drive so after doing mfsadd I shut down the computer and did not do the boot from CD to run the code for mfs add.

the build date is Oct 7th and 16th 2009. I have 4 of the drives, I was hoping to upgrade my other 2 HD tivo's this weekend.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #4343
bkdtv

Quote:
I did not disable my antivirus. I am working on turning that off now. I did do a trucated backup to my harddrive, but I used the original drive for the upgrade. Steps 13-22 for a new internal drive and an external drive. I was using the orig drive so after doing mfsadd I shut down the computer and did not do the boot from CD to run the code for mfs add.
I suggest you take the external drive out of the equation and follow these instructions (FAQ #19A).

Some antivirus/security software can't be completely disabled, so you may want to try the backup and restore in Windows safe mode, if you're familiar with that.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #4344
watts

I completely uninstalled my anti virus on that computer. It had expired anyway. Will get new one before using internet. I will try the single drive instuctions tonight when I get home. Since I have 4 drives of this type to test with, hopefully I can figure out the problem. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #4345
watts

ok I could not resist trying it out before work. Going to be late. Using the instructions to backup from truncated copy and having anti virus off made for a good combination. tivo is working. Now off to work. I can figure out the second drive later today. Thanks for the sugestion, not sure which change was the winner, but much happier now.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #4346
bkdtv

Quote:
ok I could not resist trying it out before work. Going to be late. Using the instructions to backup from truncated copy and having anti virus off made for a good combination. tivo is working. Now off to work. I can figure out the second drive later today. Thanks for the sugestion, not sure which change was the winner, but much happier now.
Good to hear that resolved the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
[oh wait, maybe never mind? Are the problems confined to the EADS?
The problem affects a number of Western Digital "Green" drives, including the EADS. The WD10EVDS is not affected, so that is the drive to buy right now.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #4347
yukit

Upgrading HD XL with 2TB internal green drive

Anyone successfully upgrade an HD XL with a 2TB internal green drive recently?

I am planning to upgrade my XL to 2TB in the next 2 weeks. I am a bit concerned with the IntelliPark issue (soft boot hang) reported here with the recent stock 1TB green drives. I hope the 2TB green drives do not have the same issue.

I suppose I can use a black drive or Seagate. Anyone try Hitachi or Samsung 2TB drives for the upgrade?
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #4348
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukit View Post
Anyone successfully upgrade an HD XL with a 2TB internal green drive recently?

I am planning to upgrade my XL to 2TB in the next 2 weeks. I am a bit concerned with the IntelliPark issue (soft boot hang) reported here with the recent stock 1TB green drives. I hope the 2TB green drives do not have the same issue.

I suppose I can use a black drive or Seagate. Anyone try Hitachi or Samsung 2TB drives for the upgrade?
I've done 2TB quite successfully on XL, although WD Green drives will have the IntelliPark issue.

Contact me via PM if you want 2TB without "soft-reboot" issue which is guaranteed to work in XL.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #4349
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Ha..."Ears", I love it. TiVo can't take advantage of the added cache, but let's hope these ones turn out to be quiet, cool and boot-problem free! Oh, and inexpensive. TIA for checking them out.
Oh, then I guess you hadn't heard? The WDxxEARS drives can only handle audio. If you want to use similar drives in a DVR, you'll need to wait for the upcoming WDxxEYES drives.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 PM   #4350
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

I haven't been very successful with upgrading the drive in my S3 TiVo to a 1TB WD (WD10EVDS). I posted over at the MFSLive forum (http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1407) however, I thought I'd post here since there seems to be more people on TiVoCommunity.

Originally I tried to setup my new drive using the live cd method (MFSLive). After performing the backup/restore my S3 would not boot. Just tonight I went ahead and performed a backup using WinMFS. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows box so I ended up using VMWare fusion on my Mac. The backup seemed to have worked fine however, when I turn on my TiVo it is stuck on boot just like it was when I ran the live cd method. Here's a copy of my MFSInfo output from the new drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Quote:
Mfsinfo (Drive 1)

Boot Page
Boot Page: root=/dev/hda7
Active Boot Partition: 6 Active Root Partition: 7
Backup Boot Partition: 3 Backup Root Partition: 4

MFS Super Header
state=0 magic=abbafeed
devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15
zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=1951665152

Zone Maps
Z0: type=0
map_start=1121 map_size=1 backup_map_start=589822
next_map_start=263266 next_map_size=9 next_backup_map_start=589813
zone_first=1122 zone_last=263265 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=57e3055a logstamp=1874756 num_bitmap=1
Z1: type=2
map_start=263266 map_size=9 backup_map_start=589813
next_map_start=263275 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589779
zone_first=589824 zone_last=217329663 zone_size=216739840 min(chunk)=20480
free=1925120 checksum=72820fe5 logstamp=1893926 num_bitmap=15
Z2: type=1
map_start=263275 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589779
next_map_start=217336832 next_map_size=1 next_backup_map_start=217926655
zone_first=263309 zone_last=589772 zone_size=326464 min(chunk)=8
free=94160 checksum=6489e4fa logstamp=1894006 num_bitmap=17
Z3: type=0
map_start=217336832 map_size=1 backup_map_start=217926655
next_map_start=217598977 next_map_size=130 next_backup_map_start=217926525
zone_first=217336833 zone_last=217598976 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=c303874 logstamp=1874756 num_bitmap=1
Z4: type=2
map_start=217598977 map_size=130 backup_map_start=217926525
next_map_start=217599107 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=217926491
zone_first=217926656 zone_last=486544383 zone_size=268617728 min(chunk)=2048
free=1804288 checksum=88910ebb logstamp=1893988 num_bitmap=19
Z5: type=1
map_start=217599107 map_size=34 backup_map_start=217926491
next_map_start=486544384 next_map_size=66 next_backup_map_start=486546366
zone_first=217599141 zone_last=217926484 zone_size=327344 min(chunk)=8
free=279104 checksum=44c5ffe4 logstamp=1893988 num_bitmap=17
Z6: type=2
map_start=486544384 map_size=66 backup_map_start=486546366
next_map_start=0 next_map_size=0 next_backup_map_start=2863311530
zone_first=486546432 zone_last=1951665151 zone_size=1465118720 min(chunk)=20480
free=1465118720 checksum=7f3efd12 logstamp=0 num_bitmap=18

Partition Maps
#: type name length base ( size )
1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63@1 ( 31.5K)
2 Image Bootstrap 1 1@485366126 ( 512.0 )
3 Image Kernel 1 8192@485366127 ( 4.0M)
4 Ext2 Root 1 524288@485374319 ( 256.0M)
5 Image Bootstrap 2 1@485898607 ( 512.0 )
6 Image Kernel 2 8192@485898608 ( 4.0M)
7 Ext2 Root 2 524288@485906800 ( 256.0M)
8 Swap Linux swap 262144@486431088 ( 128.0M)
9 Ext2 /var 524288@486693232 ( 256.0M)
10 MFS MFS application region 589824@487217520 ( 288.0M)
11 MFS MFS media region 216747657@268618469 ( 103.4G)
12 MFS MFS application region 2 589824@487807344 ( 288.0M)
13 MFS MFS media region 2 268618405@64 ( 128.1G)
14 MFS MFS App by Winmfs 2048@488397168 ( 1.0M)
15 MFS MFS Media by Winmfs 1465118720@488399216 ( 698.6G)

Total SA SD Hours: 1040 Total DTV SD Hours: 908 75 % Free
Software: 11.0d-01-2-648 Tivo Model: TCD648250B

raianoat is offline   Reply With Quote