TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #4291
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Wasn't that the name of their hockey team back in the day?
Ha! BIG HA! ROFLMAO
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #4292
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Congratulations on your "new" bigger and better TiVo!

I agree, adding a note about permanently deleting all recordings in the Recently Deleted folder (unless someone wants to save them) prior to upgrading would be a good addition to the instructions on the first post (Section V, #19b). It would certainly save some copy time. Perhaps bkdtv can add that.

Enjoy!
+3. I recently did a truncated backup (installing a new internal drive to replace a failing one) and forgot to clear out Recently Deleted folder before hand which left a bunch of pointers to nowhere. I was a little fearful that then removing those from RD folder after the upgrade may actually destroy pointers to real recordings following the backup, but that didn't happen.

NOTE: I didn't really have option to do non-truncated backup as I was using a laptop with 1 external e-sata drive, but I used TTG to move all recordings off the TiVo before upgrading it.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #4293
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
+3. I recently did a truncated backup (installing a new internal drive to replace a failing one) and forgot to clear out Recently Deleted folder before hand which left a bunch of pointers to nowhere. I was a little fearful that then removing those from RD folder after the upgrade may actually destroy pointers to real recordings following the backup, but that didn't happen.
After doing the Preserves Settings Only upgrade deleting the phantom programs listed in the Now Playing list and Recently Deleted folder was the first thing I did after booting up my TiVo HDs on their new hard drives. The fact that they exist should probably be mentioned in the FAQ. I think I saw a reference to them in a post here in this thread originally so I wasn't surprised by them and knew it was okay to delete them

Okay, I lied. The first thing I really did was to check that I really had 157 of HD recording space.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #4294
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Okay, I lied. The first thing I really did was to check that I really had 157 of HD recording space.
Ha! I knew it!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #4295
cjv2

Well folks,

I have read and reread and reread and I am out of ideas. Short version, got an WD10EADS for my TivoHD, in keeping with the post at the top of the FAQ that says it should work with the TivoHD despite its issues with the Series3, and because the more explicitly recommended drives were not available at the local shops.

Restored a truncated backup using WinMFS from the original 160GB drive onto the new one. I get "Welcome Powering up..." and I live there forever.

I have tried restoring without doing the MFSAdd at the end of the restore, just to effectively do a straight dup minus recordings. No help.

Original HD still works great.

Any ideas? Is this the Intellipark issue or is this something else? I have spent the better part of the night fighting with this... thing.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #4296
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
I have read and reread and reread and I am out of ideas. Short version, got an WD10EADS for my TivoHD, in keeping with the post at the top of the FAQ that says it should work with the TivoHD despite its issues with the Series3, and because the more explicitly recommended drives were not available at the local shops.
You're right that the following statement appeared in the FAQ:

Quote:
The WD10EACS, WD10EADS, and retail WD "Green" drives are not listed, because
most revisions of those drives will not work as internal upgrades on the
TiVo Series3. They will work on the newer TivoHD model. For 1TB upgrades,
Series3 owners should stick to the WD10EVDS, ST31000322CS, ST31000533CS,
and ST31000424CS.
I thought I removed that earlier, but apparently not. It's gone now.

The current version of the WD10EADS is not compatible. The current version of that drive will not work as an internal drive upgrade without the "soft reboot" issue. This is believed to be Intellipark related, although I have no means to confirm that.

I would suggest you either return the drive or follow the instructions on the previous page to disable Intellipark.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #4297
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Is your anti-virus turned off while running WinMFS ? Definitely can be a problem if it isn't.

The new drive could be bad. Did you run WD's extended diagnostics on it, or can you? Can take a couple of hours or more, but then you know for sure.

This drive started having soft-reboot problems for manufacture dates starting 19 Sep 09 but not hard reboot problems. There is a fix for the soft reboot problem given a few posts back in this thread.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #4298
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You're right that the following statement appeared in the FAQ....

...I thought I removed that earlier, but apparently not. It's gone now.

The current version of the WD10EADS is not compatible. The current version of that drive will not work as an internal drive upgrade without the "soft reboot" issue; this appears to be Intellipark related.

I would suggest you either return the drive or follow the instructions on the previous pageto disable Intellipark.
Heh. Glad to be of service in helping get the FAQ updated.

Unfortunately, I am one of those poor schmucks who has no SATA hardware apart from the Tivo and a single USB --> SATA adapter, which is not recognized when booting from the CD in question, and consequently unrecognizable by the WD utility.

If someone has a way other than the WD DOS-based utility... or a bootable CD image with the WD utility that will recognize the USB-attached HD... I would be most grateful. Otherwise, yeah, I'm probably looking at returning the drive, as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl
Is your anti-virus turned off while running WinMFS ? Definitely can be a problem if it isn't.

The new drive could be bad. Did you run WD's extended diagnostics on it, or can you? Can take a couple of hours or more, but then you know for sure.
Yeah, AV is shut down. Haven't pounded the drive with diags yet, but I can certainly do that. Good idea.

If it's of any interest, manufacture date on the drive is 10 OCT 2009, Model is WD10EADS-65M2B0, firmware rev is 01.00A01.

Last edited by cjv2 : 12-15-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Added HD details
Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #4299
richsadams

Quote:
If someone has a way other than the WD DOS-based utility... or a bootable CD image with the WD utility that will recognize the USB-attached HD... I would be most grateful. Otherwise, yeah, I'm probably looking at returning the drive, as you said.
Welcome to the forum but sorry to hear of your dilemma. If you can't run the recommended program to disable Intellisync I think your only option is to return the drive and get another one as bkdtv and dlfl have recommended.

It's interesting that this is another report of a WD10EADS refusing to boot up at all...not just displaying the soft reboot problem. (The WD10EVVS will boot up but has the soft reboot issue.)

If it's not too much trouble, can you post the manufacture date of your WD10EADS before you return it?

As mentioned the WD10EVDS is a good option. Other options are listed on the first post.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #4300
cjv2

Quote:
If it's not too much trouble, can you post the manufacture date of your WD10EADS before you return it?
Rich,

See above, edited the post to include this detail. And thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #4301
MPSAN

Quote:
Rich,

I believe that the Windows version of the WD software WILL run with the SATA===>USB converter. Are you running XP?

Just killing time here as my new THD is on its 8th hour of updates and guide data!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #4302
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I believe that the Windows version of the WD software WILL run with the SATA===>USB converter. Are you running XP?
Yep, running XP. There's a Windows version that can be used to disable Intellipark? Where? Do tell!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #4303
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Yep, running XP. There's a Windows version that can be used to disable Intellipark? Where? Do tell!!!
I think he meant the windows version of the WD Diagnostics and I can confirm it will run with a USB-SATA adapter, although 2 or 3 times slower than a SATA port. The extended test took almost 10 hrs on my PC for 1 TB.

I'm not aware of a Windows version of the software that fixes the soft-reboot problem.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #4304
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I think he meant the windows version of the WD Diagnostics and I can confirm it will run with a USB-SATA adapter, although 2 or 3 times slower than a SATA port. The extended test took almost 10 hrs on my PC for 1 TB.

I'm not aware of a Windows version of the software that fixes the soft-reboot problem.
Got it. Baseline diags were fine. Extended diags are chugging away. Tune in tomorrow, I guess...
Old 12-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #4305
MPSAN

Quote:
I did mean the WD diags and not wdidle3.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #4306
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

Much appreciated!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #4307
lns4667
Lionel

Quote:
Heh. Glad to be of service in helping get the FAQ updated.

If it's of any interest, manufacture date on the drive is 10 OCT 2009, Model is WD10EADS-65M2B0, firmware rev is 01.00A01.
Just thought I would give my .02 worth on the wd10eads. After reading this thread a few times through I decided I could live with the soft reboot problem on this drive, given the fact I could get it for $60. I also did some research on this model while waiting on the drive in the mail. Here is what I found.

WD10eads-00m2b0 (2-platters) firmware rev 1.00a01
WD10eads-00l5b1 (3-platters) firmware rev 1.01a01

When my hdd arrived it was the (3-platter) version mentioned above with a manufacture date of 10/19/09 Thailand. So I followed the procedure to replace my internal drive and everything booted normal on initial setup showing 157 hd hours of recording space. Now time for soft reboot. With fingers crossed I waited and ta-da no hang-up. I did have wdidle.exe ready in case I needed it but the WD10eads-00l5b1 worked perfect right out of the box.
lns4667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #4308
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lns4667 View Post
Just thought I would give my .02 worth on the wd10eads. After reading this thread a few times through I decided I could live with the soft reboot problem on this drive, given the fact I could get it for $60. I also did some research on this model while waiting on the drive in the mail. Here is what I found.

When my hdd arrived it was the (3-platter) version mentioned above with a manufacture date of 10/19/09 Thailand. So I followed the procedure to replace my internal drive and everything booted normal on initial setup showing 157 hd hours of recording space. Now time for soft reboot. With fingers crossed I waited and ta-da no hang-up. I did have wdidle.exe ready in case I needed it but the WD10eads-00l5b1 worked perfect right out of the box.
Interesting. This post at MFSLive.org suggests that the firmware rev in my HD (and the first HD in your list of 2) may be at issue. I wonder if you lucked out by getting the second one
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #4309
ADG
Allan

I've noticed a small, odd change since replacing the HD the other day. I have two s3's in the same cabinet. The one with the new hd is on a shelf directly above the other, and now the time display is noticeably dimmer than it was before (and thus not as bright as the s3 below it). I've checked the setting to make sure it is on "bright". I'm certain the time on both units displayed at the same level of brightness prior to the hd change. It's not a big deal, it's just odd.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #4310
brooster

I attached the external fantom 1TB drive about a month ago. It was working fine until I pulled out the Tivo to attach an optical cord. I then noticed on the front of the series 3 "External drive missing". When I moved the Tivo the plug for the external drive came loose. I was recording at the time. I have tried to unplug the Tivo, push the external drive plug back into the Tivo and plug the Tivo back in about a dozen times. I keep getting the "External drive missing" screen.
??
brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #4311
cjv2

Well, 12 hours into extended diags things were fine, but based on all the reading I'm pretty much out of options here, so the WD10EADS-65M2B0 is going back to the store and I'm going to order up a WD10EVDS from Amazon. I think it's official at this point that in its current incarnation, this drive doesn't like the TivoHD.

Anybody want further technical details about this soon-to-be-returned HD before I take it back?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #4312
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooster View Post
I attached the external fantom 1TB drive about a month ago. It was working fine until I pulled out the Tivo to attach an optical cord. I then noticed on the front of the series 3 "External drive missing". When I moved the Tivo the plug for the external drive came loose. I was recording at the time. I have tried to unplug the Tivo, push the external drive plug back into the Tivo and plug the Tivo back in about a dozen times. I keep getting the "External drive missing" screen.
??
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Try following these steps:

1. Power off TiVo by disconnecting the AC power cord.
2. Turn off the eSATA drive.
3. Disconnect the AC adapter cord and eSATA cable from the eSATA drive.
4. Disconnect the eSATA cable from TiVo.
5. Reverse the eSATA cable connections between TiVo and the eSATA drive.
6. Re-connect one end of the eSATA cable to the eSATA drive and the other end to TiVo.
7. Connect the AC power cord to the eSATA drive and the other end to the electrical outlet.
8. Turn the eSATA drive back on.
9. Wait 10 to 15 seconds for the eSATA drive to fully spin up.
10. Power on TiVo by reattaching the AC power cord.

It's a little more complicated than the initial steps to get things going and a couple of steps are precautionary but by following those steps in that exact order others have had success getting their eSATA drive and TiVo talking to each other once again.

If that doesn't resolve it there may have been data corruption since it was recording when it became disconnected. If that's the case there's not much you can do except to divorce the drive:

5. Power on TiVo by reattaching the AC power cord.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to permanently divorce the eSATA drive.

Once you've divorced it you should be able to reconnect it following steps 6 through 10 in the first set of instructions. TiVo will automatically reformat the drive for use again. Unfortunately all of the recordings made since the eSATA drive was connected will probably be lost.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #4313
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lns4667 View Post

That's great info and pretty much in line with what we've seen so far. The 3 platter versions continue to work but the 2 platter models are problematic (and obviously the firmware would be different on each). It's a crap shoot as to which one you'll get when you order it though, so it's still best to avoid them.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #4314
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I've noticed a small, odd change since replacing the HD the other day. I have two s3's in the same cabinet. The one with the new hd is on a shelf directly above the other, and now the time display is noticeably dimmer than it was before (and thus not as bright as the s3 below it). I've checked the setting to make sure it is on "bright". I'm certain the time on both units displayed at the same level of brightness prior to the hd change. It's not a big deal, it's just odd.
That is odd. Coincidental? Although a larger drive can draw more power it isn't like plugging in an electric razor in a small town and dimming the lights on Main Street. I guess I'd have to swap out the original and 1TB drives in our Series3 to see if the same thing happens. But I think I'll save that for another day...perhaps when the lawn needs mowing next summer. Maybe someone else has had the same experience?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #4315
brooster

Quote:
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Try following these steps:

5. Reverse the eSATA cable connections between TiVo and the eSATA drive.
6. Re-connect one end of the eSATA cable to the eSATA drive and the other end to TiVo.
7. Connect the AC power cord to the eSATA drive and the other end to the electrical outlet.
8. Turn the eSATA drive back on.
9. Wait 10 to 15 seconds for the eSATA drive to fully spin up.
10. Power on TiVo by reattaching the AC power cord.

It's a little more complicated than the initial steps to get things going and a couple of steps are precautionary but by following those steps in that exact order others have had success getting their eSATA drive and TiVo talking to each other once again.

If that doesn't resolve it there may have been data corruption since it was recording when it became disconnected. If that's the case there's not much you can do except to divorce the drive:

5. Power on TiVo by reattaching the AC power cord.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to permanently divorce the eSATA drive.

Once you've divorced it you should be able to reconnect it following steps 6 through 10 in the first set of instructions. TiVo will automatically reformat the drive for use again. Unfortunately all of the recordings made since the eSATA drive was connected will probably be lost.

Hope that helps and best of luck!
It Worked!! I only had to do the first part.
Thanks Rich,

bruce
brooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #4316
ADG
Allan

Quote:
That is odd. Coincidental? Although a larger drive can draw more power it isn't like plugging in an electric razor in a small town and dimming the lights on Main Street. I guess I'd have to swap out the original and 1TB drives in our Series3 to see if the same thing happens. But I think I'll save that for another day...perhaps when the lawn needs mowing next summer. Maybe someone else has had the same experience?
Yeah, well - as I said, not a big deal. And yes, I suppose it could just be a coincidence -though I'm not a big believer in coincidence.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #4317
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooster View Post
It Worked!! I only had to do the first part.
Thanks Rich,bruce
Excellent. Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #4318
snowser

I just got a WD10EADS-00m2b0 working in external setup on a TivoHD. Tried it many different ways. I'm not sure if the setup order did it but it powers up clean every time with 180 hours of HD capacity. First disabled Intellipark on external drive. Deleted external drive format in winfms. Attached external drive to Tivo and powered up. Tivo powered up clean but external storage drive came up as unsupported. Hooked up drives to computer and selected drives in winmfs. Selected mfsadd. Installed original drive and hooked up and powered external drive. Powered up Tivo. So far so good.
snowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #4319
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowser View Post
I just got a WD10EADS-00m2b0 working in external setup on a TivoHD. Tried it many different ways. I'm not sure if the setup order did it but it powers up clean every time with 180 hours of HD capacity. First disabled Intellipark on external drive. Deleted external drive format in winfms. Attached external drive to Tivo and powered up. Tivo powered up clean but external storage drive came up as unsupported. Hooked up drives to computer and selected drives in winmfs. Selected mfsadd. Installed original drive and hooked up and powered external drive. Powered up Tivo. So far so good.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info. AFAIK to date no one has reported any issues with using almost any hard drive externally. It's only when certain hard drives are used internally that problems arise.

Curious...since you had to marry your internal drive to your new external drive, why didn't you simply upgrade your internal hard drive instead? Did you really need that extra 20 or so hours? But whatever the case, congratulations and enjoy!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #4320
snowser

I'm pretty new to this and I didn't want to mess around with the internal drive till I got a feel for doing upgades with winmfs on a external drive. I couldn't get the new external drive working at first. Power up would hang. In retrospect it wouldn't have been any harder upgrading the internal drive. I probably will upgrade the internal drive in the future. Your posts about having the original drive on the shelf as a spare or troubleshooting tool is a good idea.
snowser is offline   Reply With Quote