TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #4261
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
bkdtv's offered to do that. Just trying to figure out where and how it would fit. Ideas?
My FIT idea would be either under a Soft Reboot section
or under the Suggested Drive Section where the certain
model drive needs this kind of adjustment - so-to-speak
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #4262
drey

I just need to write-up step by step instructions. Today is Saturday and I'll try to do that.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #4263
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drey View Post
I just need to write-up step by step instructions. Today is Saturday and I'll try to do that.
It's the TiVo Medal of Honor for you my friend.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #4264
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjes View Post
Rich
I tried the steps you offered and they didn't work so I restarted the external and listened. The light came on in the case but no noise like beeps or whirring. Does this mean the drive is dead or could it still be a case problem? To order the same case would cost 37 dollars and if the drive is bad I think I am just going to upgrade the internal to a 1TB.
Also I wanted to let you know that I had both the TiVo and the external plugged into a UPS very simular to the one on your link. The TiVo was in a plug with back-up battery and the external was just protected without back-up batter in the same UPS. Could this have done something to the external?
Is there a way to make sure which is actually shot? It could save on replacement cost to find out .
In case you haven't noticed I am grasping at any straw to keep from clearing the external from the TiVo and permanently loosing my saved programs. But if it's broke.... it's broke. Thanks
Ah, it sounds like you've found the cause of your woes. Having TiVo on a UPS is excellent, however TiVo and it's eSATA drive can never be parted (unless by your hand). If the eSATA went down while TiVo was still on and then it came back up data corruption likely occurred. Both TiVo and the external drive have to be on the UPS. However it still could be a hardware issue.

If the recordings are important I'd go ahead buy another enclosure and try it. I know it's not ethical but if it doesn't work you could probably return the enclosure.

Otherwise you'd need to pull the hard drive out of the eSATA enclosure, connect it to a PC and run a diagnostic on it like WD's Lifeguard. But you can only run a high-level "quick test" without damaging the data. That may or may not tell you if the hard drive is bad.

Some folks here have had success with a disk repair tool called SpinRite. (However it costs about as much as a new hard drive.):

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Planning on upgrading your internal drive at some point is the way to go. All the info you need is on the first post. Put the original TiVo hard drive on the shelf for backup and you're good to go.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #4265
drhankz

Quote:

Quote:
I AGREE with Rich
Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #4266
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Yeah!!! I almost wish I had kept my EVVS just so I could try it. Thanks a lot--you guys are turning me into a hard drive nerd
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #4267
drey

FAQ, Troubleshooting:

Certain newer WD Green drives ship with the updated Intellipark feature that is causing TiVo units where this drive is installed to either hang at reboot ("soft-reboot" issue on TiVo HD or Series 3) or not boot at all (Series 2 single and dual tuner). The solution to this issue is to disable IntelliPark feature so drives do not park their heads during the reboot.

1. Download a copy of bootable CD with wdidle3.exe from the link below. Use WinRAR to uncompress "dos_wdidle3.rar" and burn ISO image to any CD-R disk.
Download link: http://tiny.cc/o7Lvr

2. Connect the affected WD drive to any available SATA connector on your motherboard. Ensure that in BIOS hard drives are set to EIDE Compatible mode and not AHCI or RAID. This is needed so bootable DOS CD can detect the drive.

3. Boot from the above CD and change drive letter to R: (it can be other letter, depending on your PC configuration) and run "wdidle3 /D" to disable IntelliPark. The message should indicate that idle feature has been disabled.

4. Turn off PC, remove the drive, load TiVo image and test. You should no longer have "soft-reboot" problem.

-

Last edited by drey : 12-12-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #4268
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Nice work drey!

Question: Can this be done using a USB-SATA adapter if your PC doesn't have an internal SATA port.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #4269
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Nice work drey!

Question: Can this be done using a USB-SATA adapter if your PC doesn't have an internal SATA port.
GOOD QUESTION

I can't confirm that - but it THEORY it should.

Maybe DREY can confirm it
Old 12-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #4270
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
GOOD QUESTION

I can't confirm that - but it THEORY it should.

Maybe DREY can confirm it
No, unfortunately it won't work with USB-SATA adapter by default since MS-DOS doesn't have USB drivers preinstalled and as such, won't detect the drive.

Technically, you can make a custom boot disk that will contain drivers for USB and than it will work. I'll see if I can update boot disk later to include USB drivers on it.

Or, alternatively, if you need a drive with no soft-boot issue and with TiVo software already preinstalled, send me PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #4271
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
Yeah!!! I almost wish I had kept my EVVS just so I could try it. Thanks a lot--you guys are turning me into a hard drive nerd
Don't even think about becoming one of those!!! Some things are just not to be joked about!
I'm just sa'in!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #4272
MPSAN

Quote:
FAQ, Troubleshooting:

Certain newer WD Green drives ship with the updated Intellipark feature that is causing TiVo units where this drive is installed to either hang at reboot ("soft-reboot" issue on TiVo HD or Series 3) or not boot at all (Series 2 single and dual tuner). The solution to this issue is to disable IntelliPark feature so drives do not park their heads during the reboot.

1. Download a copy of bootable CD with wdidle3.exe from the link below. Burn image to any CD-R disk
http://tiny.cc/o7Lvr

2. Connect the affected WD drive to any available SATA connector on your motherboard. Ensure that in BIOS hard drives are set to EIDE Compatible mode and not AHCI or RAID. This is needed so bootable DOS CD can detect the drive.

3. Boot from the above CD and change drive letter to R: (it can be other letter, depending on your PC configuration) and run "wdidle3 /D" to disable IntelliPark. The message should indicate that idle feature has been disabled.

4. Turn off PC, remove the drive, load TiVo image and test. You should no longer have "soft-reboot" problem.

-
Only 1 note about STEP 1 in the above. The download link is great but some may want/need to know the file is a RAR file and may need to know how to unRAR the file.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #4273
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Only 1 note about STEP 1 in the above. The download link is great but some may want/need to know the file is a RAR file and may need to know how to unRAR the file.
updated
Old 12-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #4274
MPSAN

Quote:
updated
Glad to help.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #4275
bkdtv

Thanks drey, I'll add that to the first when I get home tonight.

Edit: Not added yet, will get to it today.

Last edited by bkdtv : 12-13-2009 at 11:59 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #4276
drhankz

Quote:
No, unfortunately it won't work with USB-SATA adapter by default since MS-DOS doesn't have USB drivers preinstalled and as such, won't detect the drive.
Yes - True - True - True - I forgot how archaic DOS is.

On the other side of the coin - i'm surprised it has a SATA diver.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #4277
gdpeck

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmps View Post
Update... it helps if you connect the cable to the hard drive...
Some things never change. I just did the same thing

I used a newer Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive (HDS721010CLA332). This was for a Tivo Series 3. I decided to share a couple of snags I ran into during the process.

First Hitachi has removed AAM functionality from FTools version 2.13 and 2.15. Once I downloaded FTools 2.11 (do a google search), I was able to determine that this model ships with AAM set to 128.

I only had SATA cables for two drives, and wanted to keep the few programs that were left after I disconnected a faulty 500GB My DVR Expander (out of warranty since 02/09). Because of this, I decided to use the linux boot CD instead of WinMFS. I did use WinMFS to take a backup first. I used the MSLive ICG to generate the proper command, and the disk to disk copy worked great.

I then installed the new drive and went through Tivo startup. It showed 144 hours of HD capacity. I guess the IGC doesn't show you how to do MFSSuperSize at Linux. So I pulled the drive from the Tivo, placed it back in the computer with the Windows drive still there and used WinMFS to turn on SuperSize. I then reassembled the Tivo, and plugged it in again, but it stuck on the powering up screen. I did a quick forum search, thought maybe I had forgotten to plug in the disk, and decided to open the Tivo again. After plugging in the drive, Tivo power up works correctly and system info shows 157 hours of HD available.

So far for me, the whole process was pretty painless, other than the fact that I feel like I should have gotten more life out of the My DVR Expander, and it sucked to lose all of those shows. I may try a different enclosure for the eSata drive, at some point in the future.

Thanks to Spike for the great tools and info at mfslive.org, and thanks to everybody who has posted their experiences here!

Last edited by gdpeck : 12-13-2009 at 03:25 AM.
gdpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #4278
eaayoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpeck View Post
So far for me, the whole process was pretty painless, other than the fact that I feel like I should have gotten more life out of the My DVR Expander, and it sucked to lose all of those shows. I may try a different enclosure for the eSata drive, at some point in the future.
Same here. I was one of the lucky ones since mine lasted around 18 months.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #4279
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpeck View Post
...First Hitachi has removed AAM functionality from FTools version 2.13 and 2.15. Once I downloaded FTools 2.11 (do a google search), I was able to determine that this model ships with AAM set to 128.
Congrats on your "new" TiVo! Section IV, #31 of the FAQ refers to using v2.11 of the Hitachi Feature Tool to adjust the AAM (includes a link). Otherwise, good observations for those that follow. If you do move your old WD My DVR Expander to a new enclosure I (and probably a number of others here) would be curious to know if it works. TIA.

Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #4280
dlfl
Cranky old novice

A purchaser of a new HD XL is reporting it hangs on soft reboot**here**.
I wonder if some "bad" WD drives got into factory units?

and
Old 12-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #4281
bkdtv

Quote:
I've sent two or three of these XL users a PM asking for the build date on the back of their DVR (I'm curious whether it is after September 19), but none have replied.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #4282
richsadams

Quote:
There are three others (or is it four now) that I noted here a few days ago on another thread (the one bkdtv referred to). I also thought it might be related to the IntelliPark issue that Drey discovered a cure for. But it looks more and more like a network connection issue than a hard drive problem. Odd that they're running into a similar if not identical soft boot scenario though. In their case TiVo will boot up okay from a menu restart without a broadband connection. But when they connect their TiVo WiFi Adapter or Ethernet their HDXL's hang on the "Welcome" screen. You have to wonder how many others are experiencing the same thing but never find their way here. One OP noted that the TiVo CSR he spoke with said that they were aware of a "hard drive problem" with the HDXL's though. Hmmm.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #4283
ADG
Allan

Just a comment about this thread. The HD on my series 3 was failing and yesterday I followed the instructions in the original post in this thread to replace it (Western Digital WD5000AVVS - hope it doesn't have Intellipark - didn't read the advisory above until just now). The process could not have been more straightforward. The only thing I would have done differently is "permanently" delete all items in "recently deleted" before removing the old drive. I followed the procedure for retaining settings and programs, and because I was not smart enough to do that the copy process took about 6 hours. Other than that it couldn't have gone more smoothly. Thanks for the great post bkdtv (and everyone else who contributed to this thread)

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #4284
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
The only thing I would have done differently is "permanently" delete all items in "recently deleted" before removing the old drive.
Congratulations on your "new" bigger and better TiVo!

I agree, adding a note about permanently deleting all recordings in the Recently Deleted folder (unless someone wants to save them) prior to upgrading would be a good addition to the instructions on the first post (Section V, #19b). It would certainly save some copy time. Perhaps bkdtv can add that.

Enjoy!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #4285
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I know more than one member here asked WD what might have changed on 19 Sep. and AFAIK got nothing useful. (Sorry if I missed a post here.) Why would that be?

and
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #4286
richsadams

Quote:
I know more than one member here asked WD what might have changed on 19 Sep. and AFAIK got nothing useful. (Sorry if I missed a post here.) Why would that be?
Yes, I and a few others corresponded by e-mail with WD about this. We all received fairly generic responses...nothing at all specific ("From time-to-time manufacturing processes are improved..." yadda, yadda) and then nothing when we asked for more info.

It's also interesting that we all received responses from "Raul" (or some "Raul" variation). So it's also interesting that all of their support folks are named "Raul".
Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #4287
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Reminds me of the fictitious director name (can't remember what it was) they used to put on Movies that were so bad no one wanted to claim directing them.

and
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #4288
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Alan Smithee
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #4289
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Alan Smithee
Ding, ding, ding! Obscure reference prize winner of the week! 1st Place = The complete collection of 70 (give or take) Alan Smithee movies on Beta tape! Nothing says the holidays like "Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh"! Grandma will love it!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #4290
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Wasn't that the name of their hockey team back in the day?

and