TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #4231
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drey View Post
You guys both are right. It is indeed wdidle3.exe that disables IntelliPark. Once disabled, I can successfully reboot both HD and S3.
Just saw this...excellent work! I don't have one of the "faulty" drives, but it'll be interesting to know how it goes for others. Well done.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #4232
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
I hope to be able to test this some weekend soon since my drive is a victim of this problem.
Fingers crossed. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #4233
eaayoung

I guess Tivo has figured out that I'm not using the My DVR expander drive anymore. They just sent a survey to me questioning my experience with the drive and asked why I'm not using it anymore. I gave them a mouth full from how they seem to fail way too early and they doesn't work well with a Tuning Adapter. At least that was my experience.

I also begged they introduce a new system with the Tuning Adapter already built into the Tivo. I can't really complain..., since installing the new drive in my S3, no real problems with the Tuning Adapter. I do seem to be getting the occasional lockup of the system when I try to tune to a channel. And it's not always a SDV channel either. System just seems to lock up after the channel comes in with the guide stuck on the screen and then the Tivo reboots itself after a minute or so. Probably the Tuning Adapter. But that's an issue for another thread.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #4234
Redding Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Thanks, drey, for the sleuthing on the Intellipark/Soft Reboot issue This is indeed big! The Intellipark feature is not needed for our purposes anyway. I hope to be able to test this some weekend soon since my drive is a victim of this problem.
I ran wdidle3 today on (2) WD5000AVVS drives I purchased last month. They had soft boot problem before. I just disabled the timer and installed in (2) THD's and they work perfectly. Thanks for the info
Redding Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #4235
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redding Delivery View Post
I ran wdidle3 today on (2) WD5000AVVS drives I purchased last month. They had soft boot problem before. I just disabled the timer and installed in (2) THD's and they work perfectly. Thanks for the info
You're very welcome! Glad to hear my information was useful.

On the side note, using steps that I described earlier will also allow you to use WD10EADS on original Series 3 without soft-boot issue.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:35 AM   #4236
richsadams

Quote:
You're very welcome! Glad to hear my information was useful.

On the side note, using steps that I described earlier will also allow you to use WD10EADS on original Series 3 without soft-boot issue.
Wow! Although the WD10EADS needs AAM settings lowered, they are less expensive than most of their counterparts. That's even better news!

Last edited by richsadams : 12-10-2009 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Tyop...d'oh!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #4237
dale77095

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I should have been more clear about the recordings saved/lost question. If there were recordings on your TiVo before you connected your external hard drive they would not have been lost when you divorced your external drive. I was just wondering if the recordings that survived your upgrade were made prior to connecting your external hard drive.

I think most people use TiVo Desktop or one of the other third-party programs like KMTTG (I use iTiVo) to transfer their recordings to their computers and then edit them (VideoReDo TVSuite is the #1 editor for Windows-based computers...one day they promise to have it for Mac's) and burn them to DVD. Or I'm sure some folks just transfer them to their computers and then burn them to DVD.

Enjoy!
re: recordings that survived. I began this upgrade with an unmodified TiVo HD, 160 GB internal drive only, so ALL of my recordings were made prior to connecting an external hard drive. Since I still have the original internal drive (now on a shelf), one day, when I'm re-arranging all of my AV equipment around a newer, wall-mounted LED (or something better still) TV, I may drop the old drive back in and suck the recordings I care about out of it.

re: recording to DVD. I realized after asking the question that I should have looked elseswhere in the forum for an answer as I was moving off the topic of upgrades. Having said that, thank you very much for providing the information above. I had forgotten that TiVo Desktop was available. I had not used it for some time since I had it on my work laptop which has been replaced once or twice since then. I'll have to research the other things you mentioned. It's rare, but I do occassionally like to save something to DVD. Less rare is to put something on my laptop to watch when I travel.

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #4238
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale77095 View Post
re: recordings that survived. <snip>
Ah, got it. Curious that all of the recordings didn't survive then, but good plan to get them one day.

Enjoy!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #4239
dspaeth

Just like to thank everyone for all the information provided here and to the developers of WinMFS. Upgrading the internal drive worked really slick using a USB docking station.
Installing a WD10EVDS ITB has fixed my reboot problem, well so far so good.
dspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #4240
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Wow! Although the WD10EADS needs AAM settings lowered, they are less expensive than most of their counterparts. That's even better news!
I don't know about the AAM part, as my WD10EADS is the quietest drive I've ever not heard, but wdidle3 has successfully fixed my soft boot problem on this drive. I'm using it in an HR10-250 currently, but it had the same soft boot issue that has been reported on the Series3. I performed the "wdidle3 /D" successfully (after much hassle). I think I'm now confident enough that I'm probably going to take and swap it out with the extremely noisy Seagate drive that I currently have in my Series3.

If anyone's looking for a boot CD that contains wdidle3, see here. It was necessary for me to go into my computer's BIOS and change the "SATA operation" to ATA instead of AHCI to get this to work properly on my PC.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #4241
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
I don't know about the AAM part, as my WD10EADS is the quietest drive I've ever not heard, <snip>
Agreed. The WD10EADS that I originally had in our TiVo HD (now a backup drive) was uber-quiet out of the box. I adjusted the AAM and it was slightly quieter, but it would have been perfectly fine w/o the adjustment for me. I suppose if it's in a bedroom tuning it might be helpful though.

Glad to hear everything else (at least after a time) is good. Thanks for the link!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #4242
pig_man

For clarification, if I run wdidle3 on a disk that already has the TiVo software on it, will it 1) work OK and 2) not mess up the Tivo software?
pig_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #4243
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_man View Post
For clarification, if I run wdidle3 on a disk that already has the TiVo software on it, will it 1) work OK and 2) not mess up the Tivo software?
"wdidle3" doesn't do anything for your data. You can run it either on empy disk or on the disk that has TiVo software.

See steps in my previous post on what to do to run wdidle3.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #4244
drey

Rich / mods,

Should I make a separate thread about getting WD Green drives to work and make that thread "sticky" on top for a little? I expect there probably be a lot of questions and we wouldn't want to get all info lost among other topics.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #4245
bkdtv

Quote:
Should I make a separate thread about getting WD Green drives to work and make that thread "sticky" on top for a little? I expect there probably be a lot of questions and we wouldn't want to get all info lost among other topics.
I would be happy to add it as a FAQ and/or subsection to the first post (with credit). Just tell me what you want it to say.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #4246
richsadams

Quote:
Rich / mods,

Encouraging folks to buy one of the "non-problematic drives" should still be the rule of the day IMHO. Reducing the chance for errors, additional work and more questions would be best I think. But for the more adventurous (and those seeking help with a drive they already have) I agree that it's important enough to have some sort of spotlight.

My vote would be to find a place in the first post somewhere...although care should be taken not to confuse or frighten folks since it's not quite as simple as using winMFS. Perhaps the drives with known issues and the update/solution could have their own section? I'll leave that up to bkdtv since he's done a stellar job to date.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #4247
lew

It looks like the issue is with WD Green drives that are shipped with specific intellipark settings. I don't think it's reasonable to include (or exclude) any specific models. Tomorrow a different factory might release a batch of any model drives with a setting that isn't compatible with tivo.

I don't think any WD green drive should appear in the list of suggested drives without a warning regarding the possibility of needing to change the intellipark settings.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #4248
drey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
It looks like the issue is with WD Green drives that are shipped with specific intellipark settings. I don't think it's reasonable to include (or exclude) any specific models. Tomorrow a different factory might release a batch of any model drives with a setting that isn't compatible with tivo.

I don't think any WD green drive should appear in the list of suggested drives without a warning regarding the possibility of needing to change the intellipark settings.
That's a valid concern, although keep in mind that TiVo uses WD Green drives themselves in all of their units.

From what I've seen most WD AV and AV-GP drives have proper timing for Intellipark from the factory and I wouldn't exclude them just yet. However, recent desktop drives, mostly the ones with 2 platters, have different timings and as such, need to be adjusted.

Using wdidle /D switch disables Intellipark entirely. A while back I also tried changing timings to a number of milliseconds and that worked too, although it was different for each drive.

Out of all the drives I used for TiVo upgrades I prefer WD to others since they're quit, very cool running and have an excellent reliability record. So I'd definitely recommend WD Green drives with a note that "additional steps" might be needed to get them to work.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #4249
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
...If anyone's looking for a boot CD that contains wdidle3, see here. It was necessary for me to go into my computer's BIOS and change the "SATA operation" to ATA instead of AHCI to get this to work properly on my PC.
Thanks. Yes, very good point about not using any advanced hard drive modes on the PC that the primitive boot CD won't recognize. Sometimes it may also be listed a compatible mode. And if you are using AHCI for your Windows drive make sure to set it back when finished or Windows won't boot.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:18 AM   #4250
richsadams

HDXL Soft Reboot Issue?

It's interesting that three people with brand new HDXL's have reported the soft reboot issue the past few days on this thread now:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post7657560

How many more do you imagine are having the same experience that never show up here?

Since HDXL's use the WD10EVVS hard drive I'm wondering if the (HDXL) TiVo's now shipping have the newer "problematic" drives and TiVo is just getting a taste of what's to come?

At least Drey figured out a fix for them...perhaps he should send them a consulting fee.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 AM   #4251
kasjes
Eddie

Arrow I really need some advice here

Hi Everyone
I am having trouble with my Tivo HD TCD648250 with the origional HD unopened and a Fantom Drives GreenDrive 1TB External eSATA in an eagle Consus case with a hard switch.
All purchased on ebay in 12/08 new. It has been functioning perfectly until last night. We have an older house and a screw-in type fuse blew. When it was replaced the tivo showed the external storage not found screen. I unplugged the tivo waited 30 secs and plugged it in again. Still same results. Then I tried checking the esata wire in both , still solid and turned off the external and unplugged the tivo waited a bit and turned on the external waited and plugged in the tivo- Same results.
I am at a loss here, the power has gone out before and when back on never a problem. What else can I try here? I really don't want to loose all recordings by clearing the tivo back to just the internal drive but I can't bear to see my Beautiful TiVo sit idlely by with the storage not found staring me in the face. I already miss my HD TiVo badly and am willing to try any suggestions you have. Help!! and of coarse Thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #4252
richsadams

Just to follow up on my note above, at least two of the folks having soft reboot problems with their new HDXL's have reported that if they disconnect their broadband connection (Ethernet or TiVo Wifi Adapter) the menu restart works. So it may not be the same IntelliPark issue.

Has anyone that's experienced the soft reboot problem (w/new WD10EVVS) tried a meunu restart with their broadband disconnected? If it still hangs on the "Welcome" screen it's probably a different issue.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #4253
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjes View Post
Hi Everyone
I am having trouble with my Tivo HD TCD648250 with the origional HD unopened and a Fantom Drives GreenDrive 1TB External eSATA in an eagle Consus case with a hard switch.
All purchased on ebay in 12/08 new. It has been functioning perfectly until last night. We have an older house and a screw-in type fuse blew. When it was replaced the tivo showed the external storage not found screen. I unplugged the tivo waited 30 secs and plugged it in again. Still same results. Then I tried checking the esata wire in both , still solid and turned off the external and unplugged the tivo waited a bit and turned on the external waited and plugged in the tivo- Same results.
I am at a loss here, the power has gone out before and when back on never a problem. What else can I try here? I really don't want to loose all recordings by clearing the tivo back to just the internal drive but I can't bear to see my Beautiful TiVo sit idlely by with the storage not found staring me in the face. I already miss my HD TiVo badly and am willing to try any suggestions you have. Help!! and of coarse Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your external hard drive. The power loss and return may have corrupted some data on the external or internal hard drive or it could have killed the external hard drive completely.

The lesson here is that a UPS (like this one or something similar) is absolutely essential equipment when it comes to TiVo (and an external drive) IMHO. The cost of replacing damaged equipment is bad enough but losing cherished recordings can be even worse. Okay lesson over.

First thing I would do is unplug TiVo. Then turn off or unplug the external hard drive. Wait ten seconds and then plug the external hard drive back in and listen to it closely. Does it sound like it's spinning up? You should hear a "whir" and then some clicking. If not the unit is likely dead. It's possible that something in the enclosure (circuit board, chip, etc.) was damaged and the hard drive is still good so you could try placing it in another enclosure. Otherwise there's not much that can be done except to divorce it.

If the external drive sounds like it's spinning up okay I'd plug TiVo back in and run a couple of TiVo's built-in diagnostic and programs called Kickstarts . Here's the link w/instructions:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

KS57 or KS58 may be able to resolve what might be corrupted data. KS54 is a simple diagnostic that will tell you if there are problems with one or the other drives but not much else.

Hope that helps a bit and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #4254
kasjes
Eddie

Rich
Thanks for the help. I just read through your suggestions and I will try them this evening. I do have a question about the kickstart's that you directed me to. All of them start with going to TiVo central, my TiVo is stuck on the missing external drive screen. Is there a trick to getting it to TiVo central or clearing the missing screen?
Thanks again for the help
Eddie
Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #4255
pig_man

Quote:
"wdidle3" doesn't do anything for your data. You can run it either on empy disk or on the disk that has TiVo software.

See steps in my previous post on what to do to run wdidle3.
Thank you for the info. An interesting thing happened when I used wdidle3 on my WD10EADS drive. When I used the "/D" option to disable the setting, it reported back that the new setting was 6300 milliseconds. I fiddled with it for awhile, but it wouldn't disable it. I finally just used the "/S255" option and set it to 25.5 seconds. I put the drive back in my TiVo HD and it worked! No more soft reboot problem. Yay!
pig_man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #4256
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjes View Post
Rich
Thanks for the help. I just read through your suggestions and I will try them this evening. I do have a question about the kickstart's that you directed me to. All of them start with going to TiVo central, my TiVo is stuck on the missing external drive screen. Is there a trick to getting it to TiVo central or clearing the missing screen?
Thanks again for the help
Eddie
Going to TiVo Central would be a "menu restart". Since you can't do that go ahead and follow the other directions about just pulling TiVo's power (leave the external drive plugged in), waiting about ten seconds for the hard drive to spin down and then plugging it back it. Everything happens during the startup process anyway so you should be good to go.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #4257
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig_man View Post
I put the drive back in my TiVo HD and it worked! No more soft reboot problem. Yay!
Odd about its refusal to disable it, but sweet that things are working properly now. Congrats!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #4258
kasjes
Eddie

Rich
I tried the steps you offered and they didn't work so I restarted the external and listened. The light came on in the case but no noise like beeps or whirring. Does this mean the drive is dead or could it still be a case problem? To order the same case would cost 37 dollars and if the drive is bad I think I am just going to upgrade the internal to a 1TB.
Also I wanted to let you know that I had both the TiVo and the external plugged into a UPS very simular to the one on your link. The TiVo was in a plug with back-up battery and the external was just protected without back-up batter in the same UPS. Could this have done something to the external?
Is there a way to make sure which is actually shot? It could save on replacement cost to find out .
In case you haven't noticed I am grasping at any straw to keep from clearing the external from the TiVo and permanently loosing my saved programs. But if it's broke.... it's broke. Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #4259
drhankz

Can bkdtv update the FAQ section

It would be great if bkdtv could update the FAQ section to add
the drey procedure using wdidle3.exe to disable IntelliPark.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #4260
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
It would be great if bkdtv could update the FAQ section to add
the drey procedure using wdidle3.exe to disable IntelliPark.
bkdtv's offered to do that. Just trying to figure out where and how it would fit. Ideas?