TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #4051
keenanSR

Out of curiosity, what did the test say was wrong with it?
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #4052
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatcurve View Post
Try doing it without supersizing the drive, or try doing an mfscopy instead of a truncated backup.
Thanks. That was a good idea, but I already went down the earlier image backup path and that worked out fine. Just had to wait awhile for the guide data to load and index.

It would have been interesting to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
CraigK,

Turn off virus protection while running WinMFS.
I had virus protection turned off every time I prepared a drive. It was on my checklist.

The EVDS is inaudible even when the TV is off.

It's much, much better than the Seagate drive which will be used as a computer backup drive.

Last edited by CraigK : 11-17-2009 at 08:12 PM.
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #4053
GrayeDog

Hey guys, sorry if this is a repost but this thread is 136 pages long!

I've decided to do what everyone told me to do, and upgrade my internal drive. (EDIT: I have a TiVo HD). I'm planning on keeping both my settings and my recordings. I've got three questions about this, because I'm a little worried I'm going to screw it up.

a) Of the listed recommended 1TB drives, is there any reason to pick the WD10EVDS or the Hitachi Deskstar HDT721010SLA360 over one another? Or is it just whichever one I can get cheaper, because they're both good (or is there another listed drive that's better?)

b) Can I still do a full upgrade (including recordings) if both of my drives (current and future) are plugged in with a SATA->USB adapter? What if only one is plugged in? And along the same lines...do most desktop computers have a spare SATA port? Or more than one? Obviously it varies by computer, so what is it I'm looking for if I pop open my computer? I'd like to avoid having to get two SATA->USB adapters if possible.

c) Is there anything I need hard drive space for during the upgrade (outside of the current TiVo drive and the drive I'm putting in there) besides the backup of my existing TiVo that I make when I do File->Backup in WinMFS? How much free space outside of the two drives do I need to do the upgrade, and to store the backup?

Thanks everyone, I'm sure this is all second nature to you guys now, but I want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I crack this thing open, and in particular, before I shell out $ for more drives.

Adam

Last edited by GrayeDog : 11-17-2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Additional Information
GrayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM   #4054
Fortynine

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
Out of curiosity, what did the test say was wrong with it?
Basically I could not access the drive with either the WD diagnostic program or when running WinMFS. The error I kept getting with the diagnostic was a cable error. However, I tried more than one dock and got the same error message each time. When I put another drive in these docks they worked every time.
Fortynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #4055
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayeDog View Post
a) Of the listed recommended 1TB drives, is there any reason to pick the WD10EVDS or the Hitachi Deskstar HDT721010SLA360 over one another? Or is it just whichever one I can get cheaper, because they're both good (or is there another listed drive that's better?)
I have no experience with the Hitachi drives, but the WD10EVDS drives work fine for me and are quiet. I tried a Seagate ST31000322CS and although it worked it was too noisy so I replaced it with a WD10EVDS.

Quote:
b) Can I still do a full upgrade (including recordings) if both of my drives (current and future) are plugged in with a SATA->USB adapter? What if only one is plugged in? And along the same lines...do most desktop computers have a spare SATA port? Or more than one? Obviously it varies by computer, so what is it I'm looking for if I pop open my computer? I'd like to avoid having to get two SATA->USB adapters if possible.
I've only done the Preserve Settings Only upgrade (with a SATA>USB adapter), but as I understand it you can do a full upgrade but have to have two adapters (or a dock that holds two drives) and both drives are hooked up at the same time. Because you are using a SATA>USB adapter it will take longer to copy the data than if you had the drives hooked up directly with SATA cables.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #4056
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortynine View Post
Basically I could not access the drive with either the WD diagnostic program or when running WinMFS. The error I kept getting with the diagnostic was a cable error. However, I tried more than one dock and got the same error message each time. When I put another drive in these docks they worked every time.
It does sound like the drive is bad, but when you say "dock" what do you mean? Are you using an external HDD enclosure to perform the procedure? Have you tried connecting the drive directly to the SATA port on the motherboard?
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #4057
opus123

Question

My EVVS has been running for a month, and am now seeing intermittent audio stuttering/pixelation as I watch live TV. Could this be an effect of the virus protection software launching during my back-up? it is a bad drive that I should replace? or should I simply try a fresh back-up to the same HD?
- If it's a new HD, which is the best candidate for no issues, 10evds?

appreciate anyone's insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
just finished forcing tivo service connection, then a soft-reboot.
all is well, and functioning properly. thanks!

also, my sincere thanks to the OP for providing such great direction on how to self-upgrade. a HUGE help.

hoping this incarnation of tivo will serve me well for years to come

opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #4058
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
My EVVS has been running for a month, and am now seeing intermittent audio stuttering/pixelation as I watch live TV. Could this be an effect of the virus protection software launching during my back-up? it is a bad drive that I should replace? or should I simply try a fresh back-up to the same HD?

Do the problems get worse if you tune to 2 HD channels and play back an HD recording? That creates the highest read/write workload which usually gives the most glitches if it is the HDD.

Try kick start 54 next, although there are HDD problems it won't find.

Next sub in the old HDD -- but only if it was running good when you took it out.

After doing the above you should have a pretty good idea whether it's the new HDD.

Ultimately, run the WD extended diagnostic test on the new drive -- but you will lose everything on it and have to redo WinMFS etc.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #4059
lew

Quote:
Ultimately, run the WD extended diagnostic test on the new drive -- but you will lose everything on it and have to redo WinMFS etc.
WD extended diagnosics is not a destructive test. You won't lose everything. There may an issue if it needs to map out bad sectors, is unable to move the daa and that data is important.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #4060
Fortynine

"It does sound like the drive is bad, but when you say "dock" what do you mean? Are you using an external HDD enclosure to perform the procedure? Have you tried connecting the drive directly to the SATA port on the motherboard?"

I used Sata - USB connectors. One was a Sata-USB hard drive doc where you simply insert the hard drive from the top of the unit. The other was a Sata/IDE USB adapter cable.
Fortynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #4061
flatcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortynine View Post
I used Sata - USB connectors. One was a Sata-USB hard drive doc where you simply insert the hard drive from the top of the unit. The other was a Sata/IDE USB adapter cable.
Hmm, I can't speak for winmfs, but those may not be compatible with the WD Diags. When I'm using the manufacturer's diagnostic tools, I usually opt for the DOS version loaded onto a bootable CD. It boots and runs faster, IME. For testing SATA drives, I use a SATA->IDE adapter and it works fine. If you've got SATA ports on your motherboard, those should work too. I've found that sata PCI cards and USB adapters never work with the DOS diagnostics though.
flatcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #4062
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If your pc is windows you want to use the windows version of WD diagnostics. I ran the extended test using a USB-IDE-SATA adapter. (And did the WinMFS truncated backup and restore with it too.)

and
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #4063
flatcurve

Quote:
If your pc is windows you want to use the windows version of WD diagnostics. I ran the extended test using a USB-IDE-SATA adapter. (And did the WinMFS truncated backup and restore with it too.)
the DOS version will work on any x86 based PC. As I said, in my experience it is faster than the windows utils. YMMV
Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #4064
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
the DOS version will work on any x86 based PC. As I said, in my experience it is faster than the windows utils. YMMV
I was just remembering MPSAN's statements in this post. Maybe this is incorrect but if true, it sounds like it might work where the DOS version might not see the drive if connected via a USB adapter. Also it wouldn't require booting from a CD. How much faster is the DOS version?

and
Old 11-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #4065
flatcurve

Quote:
I was just remembering MPSAN's statements in this post. Maybe this is incorrect but if true, it sounds like it might work where the DOS version might not see the drive if connected via a USB adapter. Also it wouldn't require booting from a CD. How much faster is the DOS version?
Yes, it is correct, but I did point that out. However IME the DOS utils will work with onboard SATA ports, but not PCI cards. It probably varies from motherboard to motherboard. Speedwise, I can't really put a hard number on it. I just know that it boots faster (~30 seconds) and scans faster than running the windows diag utils on the same computer.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #4066
lew

Quote:
Yes, it is correct, but I did point that out. However IME the DOS utils will work with onboard SATA ports, but not PCI cards. It probably varies from motherboard to motherboard. Speedwise, I can't really put a hard number on it. I just know that it boots faster (~30 seconds) and scans faster than running the windows diag utils on the same computer.
The DOS version makes sense if the user has a "test" computer that can be easily opened, has an available SATA port and the user has a long SATA cable and power cable. Makes a lot of sense if you, or your company, will be testing a lot of drives.

The Windows version lets us use a USB-SATA adapter. Makes a lot of sense for those of us that need to test a drive every 3 or 4 years. Who are going to let an extended test run overnight.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #4067
GrayeDog

Question: if I have only one SATA port, and one USB->SATA adapter, and I'm doing a full upgrde including recordings, which drive am I better off plugging in directly into a SATA port, and which drive am I better off plugging in the USB->SATA adapter (current vs. future) ? Or does it not make any difference either way? I'm sure it'll WORK either way, but if one way would make it reasonably faster, that'd be good to know.
GrayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #4068
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I'm confused about comparing boot times. There is no boot time when using the Windows version -- it's just a windows program.

and
Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #4069
flatcurve

Quote:
I'm confused about comparing boot times. There is no boot time when using the Windows version -- it's just a windows program.
If you're hot swapping drives, then boot time doesn't matter.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #4070
drey

Quote:
If you're hot swapping drives, then boot time doesn't matter.
You can't hot swap SATA drives if they're set to IDE mode in BIOS. If you set drives to anything non-IDE, they won't be recognized by DOS-based tools.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #4071
cuppingmaster

Did another one

I previously upgraded my own TiVo HD with a July vintage of the WD _EVVS ("Caviar Green") and it's going well. No flaws.

I tried a friend's with the same drive, but this time I didn't have access to a PC, only a Mac with VirtualBox and XP. I can confirm that VirtualBox does work, but you have to set up a USB device filter for each drive in the VM settings. After I did that, restarted the VM with the external drives off, then turned them on once I was booted into the VM, I was finally able to see the drives in WinMFS.

It's likely a lot slower, however. I started it around 1AM and it finished around 4PM. But it works!
cuppingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #4072
wgw

Quote:
Question: if I have only one SATA port, and one USB->SATA adapter, and I'm doing a full upgrde including recordings, which drive am I better off plugging in directly into a SATA port, and which drive am I better off plugging in the USB->SATA adapter (current vs. future) ? Or does it not make any difference either way? I'm sure it'll WORK either way, but if one way would make it reasonably faster, that'd be good to know.
I think I would connect the source drive to the USB and the destination to the SATA.

wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #4073
wgw

Quote:

I get this on both my S3's regularly. The drives are fine. To correct the problem, I just do a hard boot (pull the plug). If I remember to hard boot once every week or two I never have a problem. When I let it go too long it starts pixelating. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hard boots before the pixelation stops.

wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #4074
moscovitzd

Just so folks are aware I'm seeing the soft reboot problem using WD15EVDS drives in Tivo HDs (TCD652160). I have two new Tivo HD units and purchased two WD15EVDS drives to install in them internally. I removed the internal 160GB drives, used WinMFS to do a MFSCopy, limited the partition to 1 TB, reinstalled the WD15EVDS internally. They boot up but when I try to restart from the Tivo menu it gets stuck on the Welcome Powering Up screen. I'm open to any suggestions you all might recommend. I was trying to get the elusive 1.26 TB of space.

From the drives:
S/N:WCAVU0299978 and WCAVU0301427
MDL: WD15EVDS-63V9B0
DATE: 04 OCT 2009
DCM: HHNCHT2CHB and HHNCNT2CAB
WWN: 50014EE258CB0B29 and 50014EE2AE20A84E
Product of Thailand
moscovitzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #4075
MPSAN

Quote:
The DOS version can work, but if the MoBo SATA controller (ICH10R or older) is being used, the DOS may not even see the drive. Also, if a USB adapter is being used, again, DOS may not know what USB is. I know my MoBo with ICH10R needed the WIN version and it ran fast, too.

Dave
Old 11-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #4076
opus123

thanks for everyone's input. considering i really don't want to be without my tivo for any length of time, i may order an EVDS so i have something to go with in case any troubleshooting doesn't succeed.

I see one post above mention problems with EVDS... i'd go with the 1TB, as i don't want to push my luck. are they still safe, or have others started reporting problems?
opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #4077
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
thanks for everyone's input. considering i really don't want to be without my tivo for any length of time, i may order an EVDS so i have something to go with in case any troubleshooting doesn't succeed.

I see one post above mention problems with EVDS... i'd go with the 1TB, as i don't want to push my luck. are they still safe, or have others started reporting problems?
Check the chart in the first post and do a search in this thread for "evds".

and
Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #4078
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
I've recently used WD10EVDS drives in two TiVo HDs after the first attempt using one of the new EVVS drives failed.

Both of the WD10EVDS drives had a date of 01 AUG 2009 and were purchased from Amazon about a month apart (one in October and one a couple of weeks ago).

No problems so far.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #4079
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscovitzd View Post
Just so folks are aware I'm seeing the soft reboot problem using WD15EVDS drives in Tivo HDs (TCD652160). I have two new Tivo HD units and purchased two WD15EVDS drives to install in them internally. I removed the internal 160GB drives, used WinMFS to do a MFSCopy, limited the partition to 1 TB, reinstalled the WD15EVDS internally. They boot up but when I try to restart from the Tivo menu it gets stuck on the Welcome Powering Up screen. I'm open to any suggestions you all might recommend. I was trying to get the elusive 1.26 TB of space.

From the drives:
S/N:WCAVU0299978 and WCAVU0301427
MDL: WD15EVDS-63V9B0
DATE: 04 OCT 2009
Unfortunately, this appears to be an issue with the latest versions of the WD15EVDS (doesn't affect WD10EVDS). That's why I removed that drive from the first post last month.

You must either live with the "soft reboot" problem or switch to the [noisier] Seagate ST31500541AS or ST315005N4A1AS. I have no experience with this drive so I can't speak to its long-term reliability.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #4080
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
I get this on both my S3's regularly. The drives are fine. To correct the problem, I just do a hard boot (pull the plug). If I remember to hard boot once every week or two I never have a problem. When I let it go too long it starts pixelating. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hard boots before the pixelation stops.
I'm glad you've been able to get things back on track using a hard reboot. But what you're experiencing is not normal. Pixelization and audio issues aren't normal and there's no reason anyone should have to repeatedly do a hard reboot to keep TiVo working properly.

The OP's problems could very well be a hard drive issue or it may be something else. Whatever the case it should be diagnosed.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote