TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #4021
mcmnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscovitzd View Post
So now that they've been out for awhile are there any reports of problems with using a WD15EVDS in a TivoHD (TCD652160)?
I've had a WD15EVDS in my TiVoHD for about 2 weeks. I have no issues at all, running cool and quiet.
Series 2 80 hours SD
SD-H400 80 hours SD
mcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #4022
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Interesting thoughts. The soft reboot issue means that during a menu restart (or TiVo upgrade) TiVo will power up and display the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen then hang. Generally that means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive as that is part of the Kernel correct?
Essentially correct. As with all PCs, there is a boot loader which looks for a boot image in certain specific areas of the drive and then begins loading from the area specified by the information found there. If the boot loader cannot find the boot record or the boot image - for whatever reason - the system does not boot.

Quote:
I have two of those drives (both used as a backups for a couple of my Macs now). One is an early WD GP drive and the other is a newer Samsung Spinpoint (a 7200RPM, non-green model). During both a hard and soft reboot I can hear the drives fully spin up (and feel the full-tilt gyroscope effect in my hand). They begin a series of seeks/reads and act responsibly through the full boot up process. However during a soft reboot they fully spin up, run four to a half-dozen seeks and then stop.
'Interesting. You might try powering up the drives without the data connector attached to see if there is a difference. The apparent seeks could be part of the drive's power-up routine. Or not.

Quote:
I could certainly be wrong but based on that I don't think it's a power saving problem but more likely a firmware issue.
The two are not necessarily different, and are definitely not mutually exclusive. Really, to do any firm diagnostics, someone with a serial port installed needs to take a look at the boot output. If someone can report the contents of the system logs, it might help, as well. If the kernel is not loading at all, as I suspect, then of course the logs will be empty, but their being empty is in and of itself somewhat significant. OTOH, if the logs have anything at all in them, then the kernel is loading. The /var directory (where the logs are kept) is not mounted until after Kickstart initialization. Here is a listing of /etc/rc.d:

drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 3072 Jul 15 07:06 StageA_PreKickstart
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Jul 15 07:06 StageB_PostKickstart
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 3072 Jul 15 07:06 StageC_MediaInitialization
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 3072 Jul 15 07:06 StageD_PreMfs
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Jul 15 07:06 StageE_PreApplication
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Jul 15 07:06 StageF_ApplicationLaunch
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Jul 15 07:06 StageG_PostApplication
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1510 Jun 30 19:20 rc.arch
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 3463 Jun 30 19:20 rc.sysinit
-r-xr-xr-x 1 0 0 207 Jul 20 2008 rc.sysinit.author

The files in StageA_PreKickstart are run first, then those in StageB_PostKickstart. The second file to be run there is rc.Sequence_100.MountVar.sh whose contents are:

bash-2.02# cat rc.Sequence_100.MountVar.sh
############################################################ ##################
#
# File: rc.MountAndCleanupVar.sh
#
# Description: Stage B system startup script fragment
# Prepare /var for mounting and mount it.
# Note that if rc.CleanupVar.sh finds /var too full,
# it may unmount, rebuild it, and remount it!
#
# Environment:
#
# Copyright (c) 2003 TiVo Inc.
#
############################################################ #################

echo "Cleanup $varpartition pass 1"
if /sbin/e2fsck -p $varpartition ; then
echo "$varpartition is clean"
else
echo "Cleanup $varpartition pass 2"
if /sbin/e2fsck -p $varpartition ; then
echo "$varpartition is clean after pass 2"
else
echo "Can't clean $varpartition - rebuilding"
/sbin/mke2fs -c $varpartition
fi
fi

echo "Mounting /var"
mount -v -n /var

# We set TMK_LOGMIN earlier to keep messages from flooding the console
# before syslogd had been started. Restore or unset it here,
# depending on whether there was a previous value (should we unset it
# right before/after we start syslogd?).
if [ "$TMK_LOGMIN_PREV" != "" ]
then
export TMK_LOGMIN="$TMK_LOGMIN_PREV"
unset TMK_LOGMIN_PREV
else
unset TMK_LOGMIN
fi
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:57 AM   #4023
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Essentially correct. <snip>
Wow! Great feedback, but you had me at "essentially"...or maybe lost me there. Between you and MPSAN I'm pretty much out of my league now. I admit I only know just enough to be dangerous. I'd have to reach back to my Linux server days/knowledge to try and determine exactly what might be happening and since the drives I mentioned are doing well as backups now I don't think I'll tinker with them...although it's tempting. Perhaps some others are willing to contribute? Still not sure what it'll get us, but I'm still curious as to what it is that's causing the newer WD drives to not function like their older siblings...and what about them is different than some of the other brands that continue to work such as Hitachi, Seagate, etc.? That'll keep me occupied until something else shiny comes along.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #4024
eaayoung

I was just about ready to give up on installing a new WD 1TB drive in my S3 since I could not get MinMFS to find the destination drive. Tried to access the drive several time as suggested without success. Ran MinMFS via administrator as well. Finally got it to work by writing zeros (via WD format program & the Quick version) over the new drive. I guess I shouldn't have used it in my computer for the past week to see if it would fail! Maybe a Windows 7 issue.

Anyway, MinMFS is preparing the new drive.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by eaayoung : 11-14-2009 at 10:08 PM.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #4025
eaayoung

Done!

My S3 is now showing 143HD hours available. Everything seems to be as it should with all of my shows, Season Passes, deleted shows, suggestions preserved. And no soft-boot issues noted with the WD10EVDS. Start to finish, this project took around 4 hours.

WinMFS works as advertised. Although the problem I had finding the destination drive was a bit of headache and had me stump for a good 30-45 minutes. And the part in the instructions regarding expanding the drive threw me a curve since I thought the process would be completed after Mfscopy was completed. Note for anyone upgrading your drive: Between steps 15 and 16, plan on an hour as WinMFS expands your drive!

If you have both a Tuning Adapter and external drive installed, and your having problems with the Tuning Adapter, consider dumping the external drive. My Tuning Adapter got to the point were it was rebooting weekly and sometimes even daily. Until the case on the MyDVR expander drive took its last breath and died (and even the actually drive inside the case), I couldn't determine what was causing problems. I figured it was just the crappy Tuning Adapter technology. Once I divorced the drive from the S3, everything started to work as designed. Replacing the internal drive may be the way to go if you have a Tuning Adapter.

To all who made this possible, thank you so much! And especially to Rich for his constant vigilance of this thread and his kind words of encouragement and support!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #4026
jonra

Done too!

I upgraded to the WD10EVDS yesterday afternoon. I had to temporarily disconnect the CDROM & esata plugs so I could plug in the two drives & maintain my boot drive. Careful if you have a mirror & don't unplug on of the two mirrored hard drives. Your software will take over and start writing to your new larger TIVO drive. That happened to me and I had to reformat the WD10EVDS and start over. It took longer to do. Other that that everything worked great! Next time it'll take no longer than two hours.

This WD10EVDS is amazing. It is incredibly cool, unbelievably quiet, & very efficient. I turned on supersize & I now have 157 HD hours. I was able to copy all my settings and about 15 hours of HD & all my SD recordings from my original factory hard drive.

Next week I will I will disconnect MyDVR expander from my other TIVO HD and also upgrade it to the WD10EVDS. My other factory TivoHD sounds like a freight train compared to the TIVO HD with the WD10EVDS.

Also thanks to Rich & everyone here. Great Forum!

Last edited by jonra : 11-15-2009 at 08:53 AM.
jonra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #4027
eaayoung

I thought I turned on Super size??? But mine is reporting only 143 hours. I must not have actually turned it on. Maybe (keeping my fingers crossed) it's the software on the TIVO. I couldn't update the software via my network after the upgrade. Beats 35 hours I had via the original 250 gig drive.

Another job for another day!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #4028
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
I thought I turned on Super size??? But mine is reporting only 143 hours. I must not have actually turned it on.
The same thing happened to me when I originally tried WinMFS with my WD10EVVS. I know I selected SuperSize, but when I put it in the Tivo it only reported 143 hours. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I took the drive out and hooked it up to my computer again and enabled SuperSize again and then it reported 157 hours in my Tivo. You can do the same thing and it shouldn't change any settings or recordings you've added since doing the upgrade.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #4029
bkdtv

Quote:
I thought I turned on Super size??? But mine is reporting only 143 hours. I must not have actually turned it on. Maybe (keeping my fingers crossed) it's the software on the TIVO. I couldn't update the software via my network after the upgrade. Beats 35 hours I had via the original 250 gig drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
I know I selected SuperSize, but when I put it in the Tivo it only reported 143 hours. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I took the drive out and hooked it up to my computer again and enabled SuperSize again and then it reported 157 hours in my Tivo. You can do the same thing and it shouldn't change any settings or recordings you've added since doing the upgrade.
You have to follow the instructions carefully. If you skip the File -> Select Drive in step #16 (yes, you have to do it a second time), then MfsSupersize won't work.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #4030
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You have to follow the instructions carefully. If you skip the File -> Select Drive in step #16 (yes, you have to do it a second time), then MfsSupersize won't work.
I'll bet that's what I did!
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #4031
eaayoung

Do I have to install both drives in the computer to turn on WinMFS Supersize? Or can this be accomplished by installing only my new replacement drive in the computer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #4032
ajayabb

Quote:
Do I have to install both drives in the computer to turn on WinMFS Supersize? Or can this be accomplished by installing only my new replacement drive in the computer?

Thanks in advance.
You just need to attach the upgraded drive

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #4033
richsadams

Excellent to hear that everyone is doing well and welcome to the "Big Boys Club".
Old 11-16-2009, 06:00 AM   #4034
Len McRiddles

Helped a friend biggie size his 2 HD's this weekend with WD10EVDS drives. Went very well without a single hitch.
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #4035
tom-el

TiVoHD drive replacement

I've been reading through this thread for a couple of days now (so much info), as I've been trying to solve a freezing problem with my TiVoHD. I blessed my first S1 in 2000 with second/larger hard drive and network, several more since. In June, 2008 I bought this TiVoHD and pulled the 160gb drive for a Seagate barracuda ST31000340AS. It worked perfectly until recently when it developed a habit of freezing in mid-playback. It then waits about 15 seconds and goes to the power up screen and freezes there permanently until a hard reboot. This happens at the same spot in any corrupted recording every time. If I skip the bad spot it plays the remainder.

I picked up a 1tb WD Caviar drive at BB. It's a WD10000CSRTL (on the box), aka WD10EADS (on the drive). I thought it would be a good quiet, low heat choice until I started reading this thread.

First, I decided to do a test on the old drive. Hooked up the drive to the computer I use for tests by way of internal sata. Ran WD's DLG test program on the Seagate and it failed the quick test with a consistent "electrical error", the read test freezes at the same block every time. Locked up the hardware, consistently had to kill the task -- explains why the TiVo freezes. Problem identified, drive went south.

I tried the WD10EADS with a backup from the Seagate -- it went right in, but then it rebooted in the middle of going through its intro dance. It went to the powering up screen, and then it went GSOD. Tried it a couple of times (reloading the image each time) and got nowhere. I restored it from the original 160gb drive image, went through guided setup, FIOS cable card worked automatically, loaded lineups, and is up and running for about 12 hours now. Soft reset 3 times with no problems. Looks ok so far, but a week from now I'll feel better. It is cool and quiet, though....

One thing -- I turned on supersize and it showed 144 HD/1367 SD hours (expected 157/1367?), so I pulled the drive, reran supersize (WinMFS being careful to select the drive, etc. and still 144/1367. The SD number seems larger, but the HD number...?

BTW -- I used two WD drives to upgrade two S1's back when hard drives were more costly and had longer warranties. Both drives worked perfectly until 2-4 months after the warranty (3 years) expired. They failed within 6 weeks of each other....

Thanks for all the info, software, and help that comes from this forum/thread.

Thanks again,
tom-el
tom-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #4036
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-el View Post
I restored it from the original 160gb drive image, went through guided setup, FIOS cable card worked automatically, loaded lineups, and is up and running for about 12 hours now. Soft reset 3 times with no problems. Looks ok so far, but a week from now I'll feel better. It is cool and quiet, though....
Welcome to the forum and glad to hear things are back to normal again. I wasn't clear if Supersizing worked or not...you should have 157 HD hours. If not, you can run it again without risking any recordings or settings.

Enjoy!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #4037
tom-el

Supersize

Rich,

I turned on Supersize when I restored the drive. Back in the TiVo it said 144/1367. I thought it hadn't taken so I put the drive back in the PC and did it again. WinMFS said Supersize was already on. What I didn't try was to shut it off and turn it back on.

Just a little puzzling....
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #4038
lew

My memory is 144 HD hours is the size reported by older versions of tivo software with supersized 1T drives.

http://mfslive.org/winmfs/images/tiv...supersized.jpg
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #4039
Fortynine

Trying to upgrade to a 1 TB HD

I purchased the 1 TB Western Digital WD10EVDS as a replacement drive for the original 250GB drive in my Series 3. I went through the installation process using WinMFS to preserve both the settings and recordings on the original Tivo drive. However, when I put everything back together and started up the Tivo all that came up was the 'Welcome - Powering Up' screen on which the unit remained fixated on.

Any clues as to what may be wrong or a work around for this problem?
Fortynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #4040
flatcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortynine View Post
I purchased the 1 TB Western Digital WD10EVDS as a replacement drive for the original 250GB drive in my Series 3. I went through the installation process using WinMFS to preserve both the settings and recordings on the original Tivo drive. However, when I put everything back together and started up the Tivo all that came up was the 'Welcome - Powering Up' screen on which the unit remained fixated on.

Any clues as to what may be wrong or a work around for this problem?
Did you run diagnostics on your original drive to make sure that it didn't have any problems?
flatcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #4041
tom-el

My software version was 9.4. The image I used was from over a year ago.... I forced an update to 11.0d and 157/1367.

Nice catch, Lew!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #4042
Fortynine

No. I did not run any diagnostics on my original drive. How wold I do that?
In any event, I put the original drive back in the Tivo box and indeed it starts up normally with no problems.

I'm wondering if I should go through the installation/setup process again.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #4043
flatcurve

Quote:
No. I did not run any diagnostics on my original drive. How wold I do that?
In any event, I put the original drive back in the Tivo box and indeed it starts up normally with no problems.

I'm wondering if I should go through the installation/setup process again.

Thanks
Download one of the free diagnostic tools from WD here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...id=607&lang=en
Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #4044
Fortynine

Thanks for the link. I ran the test and there were no problems found on the original Tivo drive. I think I'll try a re-install and see if that changes anything.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #4045
CraigK
(unspecified)

Decided to replace the Seagate ST31000322CS 1TB drive in one of our TiVo HDs with a quieter WD10EVDS.

I ran diagnostics on the new WD drive overnight along with moving the shows we needed to save temporarily to our other TiVo HD that already has a WD10EVDS.

I ran the Preserve Settings Only version of WinMFS this morning. First doing a truncated backup of the Seagate drive then restoring to the WD10EVDS with supersize.

When I booted the TiVo it went from Powering Up to Almost There to Powering Up to a GSOD telling me it could take 3 hours to attempt a fix.

Since this is my wife's TiVo and I'm on a deadline I decided to try again. Same result even making a new copy of the Seagate drive.

On a whim I decided to try using an image from the original 160G TiVo drive and this time everything went well.

Since the image is about a month old the TiVo has to get all the guide data and I have to make a few changes to the Season Pass list. Luckily I wrote everything down before starting the upgrade.

Not sure why it wouldn't work from the Seagate image. It got me wondering if it had something to do with them both being 1TB drives. It still asked me if I wanted to expand the drive and let me Supersize it.

Maybe if I'd let the TiVo do the repair everything would have worked out.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #4046
flatcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Decided to replace the Seagate ST31000322CS 1TB drive in one of our TiVo HDs with a quieter WD10EVDS.

I ran diagnostics on the new WD drive overnight along with moving the shows we needed to save temporarily to our other TiVo HD that already has a WD10EVDS.

I ran the Preserve Settings Only version of WinMFS this morning. First doing a truncated backup of the Seagate drive then restoring to the WD10EVDS with supersize.

When I booted the TiVo it went from Powering Up to Almost There to Powering Up to a GSOD telling me it could take 3 hours to attempt a fix.

Since this is my wife's TiVo and I'm on a deadline I decided to try again. Same result even making a new copy of the Seagate drive.

On a whim I decided to try using an image from the original 160G TiVo drive and this time everything went well.

Since the image is about a month old the TiVo has to get all the guide data and I have to make a few changes to the Season Pass list. Luckily I wrote everything down before starting the upgrade.

Not sure why it wouldn't work from the Seagate image. It got me wondering if it had something to do with them both being 1TB drives. It still asked me if I wanted to expand the drive and let me Supersize it.

Maybe if I'd let the TiVo do the repair everything would have worked out.
Try doing it without supersizing the drive, or try doing an mfscopy instead of a truncated backup.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #4047
flatcurve

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I ran the test and there were no problems found on the original Tivo drive. I think I'll try a re-install and see if that changes anything.
If you used mfscopy in winmfs to copy an unexpanded & unmarried 250GB original S3 drive to a 1TB drive, then it should have worked. Not sure what happened here. Maybe try running the diagnostics on the 1TB drive. It's unlikely, but not impossible that you got a bad drive. We see less than 1% of our drives bad out of the box, but that's still more than 0%.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #4048
dlfl
Cranky old novice

CraigK,

Turn off virus protection while running WinMFS.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #4049
Fortynine

I also ran the diagnostics on the new 1TB WD10EVDS and it failed. I guess I'll have to return it for an exchange and then start all over.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #4050
flatcurve

Quote:
I also ran the diagnostics on the new 1TB WD10EVDS and it failed. I guess I'll have to return it for an exchange and then start all over.
That's no fun

But at least you know what the problem was now.