TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #3871
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post
i'm curious what some of these "retailers" are doing differently and why there is little to no talk of 2tb single hard drive solutions for tivos.
From the mfslive.org forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike, aka WinMFS author

Currently, I know 4 ways to make drive > 1.1 TB to work on current S3 and THD.
  1. Prom mod your S3 or THD and use Jamie's kernel patch. (http://www.************.com/forum/showt ... post299520) credit goes to Jamie

2. mknod to add more devices /dev/hda17 /dev/had18 ... But next software update will wipe it out and cause problems (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=257&p=5338&hilit=hda17#p5338) credit goes to ciper

3. Create app/media partitions /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15 /dev/hda16 ... eBay dude
    As long as each of those three partitions fall within 1TiB you can do whatever you want and it's fairly easy to do if you are familiar with mfstools source code and bit of mod.

4. modify existing mfs media partitions 11, 13. no one so far.
    This is fairly hard to do since you have to do all sorts inode adjustments but will be plug and play eSATA drive compatible.
Even if someone were to create a truncated image using one of these 2TB drives (would you volunteer?), I'm not sure WinMFS could restore it.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #3872
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrr View Post
i got a prepared 2tb hard drive off of ebay for my tivoHD. it came with 2 pages of data...apparantly test data. popped it in and the tivo shows 318hrs.

the drive was a wd20eads dated sept 09. it has been running for about a week with no problem.

i'm curious what some of these "retailers" are doing differently and why there is little to no talk of 2tb single hard drive solutions for tivos.
There are some posts about the ebay 2TB drives. (A search should turn them up.) A few others are also using them successfully.

A DIY 2TB upgrade is quite complicated requiring extensive hand coding to expand and create new partitions and cannot be accomplished by using the winMFS or MFSLive programs commonly referred to here so there's not much talk about it. However for those wanting a 2TB "turn-key" alternative for their TiVo HD or HDXL, it seems like a good option.

EDIT: Just saw bkdtv's post after I posted...what he said.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #3873
wgw

The WD15EVDS does not appear to be compatible with the Series 3 (648). I performed full read/write diags on the new drive to make sure it had no defects. I used WinMFS to copy an original stock drive to the new drive. Selected yes when prompted to limit to 1TB partitions. I completed the Guided setup. After a soft boot and several hard boots, it is stuck on the Welcome! Powering up... screen.

MDL: WD15EVDS-63V9B0
Product of Thailand
DATE: 04 OCT 2009
DCM: HHNCNT2CAB
R/N : 701640
LBA: 2930277168
Firmware: 01.00A01

UPDATE: My WD15EVDS is working with a hard boot now. My fault the hard boot did not work before. It still won't soft boot consistantly though. Other than the soft boot issue, it appears to be functioning normally. Capacity says 178 HD hours. It was 143 HD hours with the WD10EACS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wgw : 10-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #3874
dlfl
Cranky old novice

wgw,

You disabled Anti-Virus and Network Security whiile using WinMFS ?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #3875
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
wgw,

You disabled Anti-Virus and Network Security whiile using WinMFS ?
Hi dlfl,

There is no Antivirus installed. My diag computer is little more than a bare WinXP Pro install. I'll try again with Windows Firewall disabled.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #3876
armstrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
From the mfslive.org forums:

Even if someone were to create a truncated image using one of these 2TB drives (would you volunteer?), I'm not sure WinMFS could restore it.
i didn't understand a word of that...but that's why i went the prepared drive route...that, and my computer is 5yrs old and i don't even know if i could have prepared a bare drive with it. as long as what i bought works...i'm happy!!!
armstrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #3877
wgw

dlfl,

Didn't work with Windows Firewall disabled. Still hangs at power up.

I think I'll try using Hitachi Feature Tool to reduce the capacity of the WD15EVDS from 1.5TB to 1.2TB and see what happens.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #3878
mcmnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlthulhu View Post
Has anyone tried the 1.5TB Western Digital WD15EVDS?

It's available from provantage for $130.70. I'd add a link, but I'm still a newbie who can't post links here.

I'd like to replace the drive in my TivoHD with one. Will it work?

I realize it won't use the entire 1.5TB, but it should expand to 1.26 TB usable, right?

Thanks,

Carl
I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's experience with 1.5TB drives in the TiVo HD. Beach Audio currently has the WD15EVDS for $143.

My stock HD with MyDVR expander is acting up, which I hope is only drive issues. (pixelation, partial records, just generally being a bad TiVo)

If the TiVo uses 1.26 of the 1.5TB, that's about 15% more space for about 30% more money over the 1TB drives. But for all the hassle of the upgrade, I figure it makes sense to go as big as I can while I have the unit open.

I tend to record whole seasons of shows to watch at once, so I have run in to space issues with my current set up.

My plan is to copy all my current recordings (MRV for SD, download to computer for HD), divorce the eSATA, and do a truncated copy to the new drive. It's been a few years since I dropped a new drive in a Series 2, but I think I remember how these things work.

It'll be a few days (at least) until I get everything transferred and can start he process in earnest, but I'll let you folks know how it goes.
mcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #3879
mcmnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgw View Post
The WD15EVDS does not appear to be compatible with the Series 3 (648). I performed full read/write diags on the new drive to make sure it had no defects. I used WinMFS to copy an original stock drive to the new drive. Selected yes when prompted to limit to 1TB partitions. I completed the Guided setup. After a soft boot and several hard boots, it is stuck on the Welcome! Powering up... screen.
Ew. Just noticed wgw is having issues WD15EVDS in a Series 3. Hmmm.

This thread ("Attempting Install of WD 1.5TB EADS in Series3 TiVo") (although dealing with a different model WD drive) is encouraging (for me)--that folks are getting some extra storage from 1.5TB drives, and that the TiVoHD is less prone to the type of issues wgw is seeing with the Series 3.
mcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #3880
alyssa

Just as a point of reference;
I replaced my HD with an WD10EVVS in sept. It is working fine with no issues.
made in Thailand
Date 7.21.09
DCM DHNCHV2MGB
R/N 701640
LBA 1953525168

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #3881
roytwo

Got my S3 working great with the Seagate Pipeline, but has any one had issues with noise?
Mine seems a bit noisy
roytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #3882
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytwo View Post
Got my S3 working great with the Seagate Pipeline, but has any one had issues with noise?
Mine seems a bit noisy
Which Seagate Pipeline did you get?

There are several models, and some are louder than others. For example, the ST31000533CS makes noticeably more noise than the ST31000322CS.

The ST31000322CS is a little louder than the WD10EVDS/WD10EVVS. Unfortunately, one can no longer be certain that they'll receive a WD10EVVS that actually works in a TiVo.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #3883
roytwo

Mine is the ST31000322CS. I can hear it working, never could hear the original one. Doesn't seem like a death rattle type of noise but noticeably louder.

Have one of the WD10EVVS it was quiet, but of course never got pass the power up screen....lol
roytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #3884
CraigK
(unspecified)

A Seagate ST31000322CS arrived on my doorstep this afternoon. From the time I opened the box to the time my wife's TiVo HD was powering up with the new drive inside was under half an hour. I only had to do a truncated backup since I had moved all the programs she wanted to save to my TiVo and now am moving them back.

Other than the hiccup with the EVVS drive the conversion of our two TiVo HD's to 1TB each using WinMFS went very smoothly. Thanks again to everyone in this thread and especially bkdtv for the excellent instructions.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #3885
wgw

My WD15EVDS is working with a hard boot now. My fault the hard boot did not work before. It still won't soft boot consistantly though. Other than the soft boot issue, it appears to be functioning normally. Capacity says 178 HD hours. It was 143 HD hours with the WD10EACS.

Last edited by wgw : 10-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #3886
bkdtv

Quote:
My WD15EVDS is working with a hard boot now. My fault the hard boot did not work before. It still won't soft boot consistantly though. Other than the soft boot issue, it appears to be functioning normally. Capacity says 178 HD hours. It was 143 HD hours with the WD10EACS.
Did you not do MfsSupersize? IIRC, you should have 198 HD hours with a 1.5TB drive on a TivoHD when MfsSupersize is used.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #3887
wgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Did you not do MfsSupersize? IIRC, you should have 198 HD hours with a 1.5TB drive on a TivoHD when MfsSupersize is used.
Thanks bkdtv, with mfssupersize, it's now reporting 196 hours.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #3888
jasonander

Wanted to report back here about my upgrade experience for my 2 Tivos. I upgraded my Tivo HD a few weeks ago with the WD10EVVS and didn't experience the problems when other folks were having with it hanging on startup. However I saw people were having problems with it having at the Powering up screen from a warm reboot. I just tried to reboot my Tivo HD from the menu and mine is having the same problem, hanging on Powering Up, and the fans are spinning loudly.
To repeat, here's the drive info:
MDL: WD10EVVS - 63M5B0
Product of Thailand
DATE: 20 SEP 2009
DCM: HANCNV2MAB
R/N: 701640
LBA: 1953525168

Yesterday I upgraded my 2nd Tivo, which is an S3, with the WD10EVDS. So far no problems, and warm reboot works fine.

Would people recommend I just return the WD10EVVS drive to Amazon and order a WD10EVDS to replace it? It seems like having the warm reboot issue could cause problems whenever Tivo pushes out a new version. I've never returned anything to Amazon before so not sure if it's worth the hassle.
jasonander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #3889
opus123

Just upgraded 2 Tivo HD's with WD10EVVS's (made prior to Sept 20).
I'm a mac guy, and had to borrow a PC to accomplish (using Win XP).

Both seem to be successful, but I noticed an anti-virus scan occur during the 2nd upgrade. I cancelled the scan prior to completion, but it was about 70% through by the time i noticed (long copy time as I was copying shows as well). Didn't know enough to disable beforehand.

Tivos are working fine from power-up so far, but given the virus scan... should I expect trouble when soft-booting?
opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #3890
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonander View Post
Yesterday I upgraded my 2nd Tivo, which is an S3, with the WD10EVDS. So far no problems, and warm reboot works fine.

Would people recommend I just return the WD10EVVS drive to Amazon and order a WD10EVDS to replace it? It seems like having the warm reboot issue could cause problems whenever Tivo pushes out a new version. I've never returned anything to Amazon before so not sure if it's worth the hassle.
I had the same soft reboot problem with my WD10EVVS in my TivoHD (otherwise worked fine), and I just replaced it with a WD10EVDS this morning. It works fine after a soft reboot and seems to be in perfect working order in all other respects as well! I've already RMA'd the WD10EVVS with Amazon and plan to send it back on Monday. I just hope they give me my money back, because unless they put it in a Tivo and try to soft-reboot it I doubt they'll see anything wrong with it.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #3891
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonander View Post
However I saw people were having problems with it having at the Powering up screen from a warm reboot. I just tried to reboot my Tivo HD from the menu and mine is having the same problem, hanging on Powering Up, and the fans are spinning loudly.
To repeat, here's the drive info:
MDL: WD10EVVS - 63M5B0
Product of Thailand
DATE: 20 SEP 2009
DCM: HANCNV2MAB
R/N: 701640
LBA: 1953525168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
I had the same soft reboot problem with my WD10EVVS in my TivoHD (otherwise worked fine), and I just replaced it with a WD10EVDS this morning. It works fine after a soft reboot and seems to be in perfect working order in all other respects as well! .
AFAIK these are the first instances of a soft reboot problem with the WD10EVVS for a TiVo HD or a Series3...surprising but good to know. That they function after a hard reboot but not a soft reboot still indicates a production change of some sort IMO so it's still a good idea to stay away from the WD10EVVS, likely from this point on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingblogger View Post
I just hope they give me my money back, because unless they put it in a Tivo and try to soft-reboot it I doubt they'll see anything wrong with it.
I doubt Amazon does any testing at all and simply returns them for credit or wholesales them off. As long as you indicate that the drive simply didn't work you should receive a full refund.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #3892
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
Tivos are working fine from power-up so far, but given the virus scan... should I expect trouble when soft-booting?
Did you try a menu restart (soft reboot)? If so, did it work? A virus scan can corrupt data transfer, but the soft reboot issue is drive specific.

Generally the upgrade will either work or it won't so if everything is working normally (including a soft and hard reboot) I wouldn't worry about it going forward. If you do run into a soft reboot problem, it would most certainly be a drive issue, nothing to do with the virus scan.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #3893
opus123

just finished forcing tivo service connection, then a soft-reboot.
all is well, and functioning properly. thanks!

also, my sincere thanks to the OP for providing such great direction on how to self-upgrade. a HUGE help.

hoping this incarnation of tivo will serve me well for years to come
opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #3894
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
just finished forcing tivo service connection, then a soft-reboot.
all is well, and functioning properly. thanks!
Congrats and enjoy!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #3895
bowlingblogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I doubt Amazon does any testing at all and simply returns them for credit or wholesales them off. As long as you indicate that the drive simply didn't work you should receive a full refund.
Good to know--if for some reason they don't give me a refund (or only give a partial refund), I'll post back.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #3896
eaayoung

So, is the EVDS the way to go with the WD drives? Sounds like its a quieter drive compared to the Seagate.

About ready to pull the trigger since I'm convinced my Cisco Tuning Adapter doesn't like the expander drive.

Still getting freeze and reboot on occassions.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #3897
cr33p

Does anyone have any technical knowledge of the WD10EAVS model? I recently RMA'd a wd10EADS HDD with WD and they are all out of stock to send me a replacement, so I had them send out the EAVS model, I cant barely find any info on this drive, I think it was an early version of the 1tb green family since it is only sporting 16mb cache. So far though it is performing perfectly in my newly purchased 69.00 dollar S3 from ebay
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #3898
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Does anyone have any technical knowledge of the WD10EAVS model?
The WD10EAVS has recently been used in the Fantom 1TB Green" external hard drives. IIRC the AAM is not set to 128 so it may be a little louder than necessary but it can be adjusted. (More in the first post.)

Have you tried a menu restart (soft reboot)? IIRC there were reports that it exhibited the soft reboot issue in Series3's (hangs on the "Welcome...almost there" screen); the reason it's not on the recommended drive list. Can you let us know if yours has that issue or not? TIA.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #3899
drey

Quote:

MDL: WD15EVDS-63V9B0
Product of Thailand
DATE: 04 OCT 2009
DCM: HHNCNT2CAB
R/N : 701640
LBA: 2930277168
Firmware: 01.00A01

UPDATE: My WD15EVDS is working with a hard boot now. My fault the hard boot did not work before. It still won't soft boot consistantly though. Other than the soft boot issue, it appears to be functioning normally. Capacity says 178 HD hours. It was 143 HD hours with the WD10EACS.
Interesting. I have WD20EVDS (should be similar as your WD15EVDS, except for capacity) and don't have a soft boot problem on my S3. How did you prepare your drive?
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #3900
richsadams

Fantom 1TB Green $74.99

Noted that Buy.com has the recommended Fantom 1TB Green eSATA drive for $74.99 AR w/free shipping.