TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #3811
innocentfreak

Good to know. Thanks. I am RMAing it today since it doesn't look like we are getting anywhere with WD or will anytime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #3812
Len McRiddles

So what is the next best drive to use in your opinion?
Len McRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #3813
eaayoung

Was in Staples looking for a DVD burner and saw where they are carrying the Antec M-1 external case. Price was around $52.00.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #3814
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len McRiddles View Post
Personally I am probably just going to go with the EVDS version from Amazon. It is the same drive with a larger buffer so I just hope it hasn't been upgraded the same way. It is only $10 more so not a huge loss.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #3815
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Was in Staples looking for a DVD burner and saw where they are carrying the Antec M-1 external case. Price was around $52.00.
That's about the going rate right now...haven't seen any on sale for a while. At one time they came down to $19.99 at Amazon and I've seen them down around $25, but for now they seem to be stuck at the $50 mark. Very nice enclosure, I'm using one with a backup drive. There are alternatives though...list on the first post of the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #3816
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len McRiddles View Post
The WD10EVDS is popular, but most any of the recommended drives on the first post are worthy.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 AM   #3817
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I just received an e-mail from WD this a.m.:

Of course they didn't address my question regarding any changes in production of the WD10EVVS (manufacture date specific, DCM codes, etc.). I wrote them back saying that we're using their drives in a Unix environment and need more info about the DCM as well as any production changes. Again, no high hopes we'll get anything definitive, but you never know!
From searching, I have found a different explanation as to what DCM is. It stated that DCM contains a list of components used in the HD.

Anyone know for sure?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #3818
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
I wonder if there is really a "Pablo R." or is everyone that answers support e-mails coincidentally named "Pablo R."?
Pablo R.
Publo Re
Publoc Rel
Public Rela
Public Relations

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #3819
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
From searching, I have found a different explanation as to what DCM is. It stated that DCM contains a list of components used in the HD.

Anyone know for sure?
That's my understanding as well...particularly the fifth and sixth letters which indicate the heads that are used. I've also read that it indicates which logic board it has and I saw another post saying that it also includes the firmware verison...but then I saw another post that said it does not. It's very important to folks that are rebuilding broken hard drives. But I have yet to find a breakdown of the actual code. For our purposes, I have no idea if it's meaningful. The manufacture date seems to have as much to do with it as anything. If it does turn out something has been changed it'll be a surprise as bkdtv pointed out, the WD10EVVS is the very same drive that TiVo uses.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #3820
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Personally I am probably just going to go with the EVDS version from Amazon. It is the same drive with a larger buffer so I just hope it hasn't been upgraded the same way. It is only $10 more so not a huge loss.
As I mentioned a handful of posts above yours, that's the drive I just bought... from Amazon... and had no trouble with using.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #3821
lew

Most of us are buying OEM drives, without a manual or instructions.

There is jumper to enable (PUIS) power up in standby. Are people enabling this feature? It sounds like the kind of setting tivo might not like.

edit to add this drive can have "issues" with VIA or SIS serial ATA controllers. I don't know what controller tivo uses. Is it possible there is a compatability issue with your PC which results in a corrupt software installation with winMFS.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

I don't know if this link will work. It's answer 1337 in the Knowledge Base.

One solution is to
Quote:
To lock the drive at 150 MB/s data transfer rate, install a jumper shunt on pins OPT1, shown in the picture below.
I'll defer to the experts.

Last edited by lew : 10-15-2009 at 09:51 AM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #3822
vasilemj

I'm sure it's been stated a number of times in this thread but for the beneift of those new readers who may immediately jump to the end of this thread, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to temporarily disable your anti-virus software when using WinMFS to upgrade your TiVo drive.

I purchased a WD10EVDS to upgrade my TiVo yesterday and I thought things had gone smoothly until I installed the drive back into the TiVo. At this point I noticed that the machine rebooted inself while powering up and after it finally came to, when I pressed the TiVo button, my menus were merely overlayed over a live video feed (no background, just text). Very strange. My TiVo backup file was about 233MB.

When I went through the process a second time and finally turned off my anti-virus, everything worked perfectly. For what it's worth, my backup file was double the size of my initial attempt.

Hope this helps alleviate any stress that new upgraders may experience.
vasilemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #3823
cchenning

There’s good news and bad news!

The good news is that my TIVO HD now has a 1TB drive in it, it is working, and I am kinda happy! The bad news is I have a few more gray hairs from getting it to that point.

As great as this site is, sometimes it’s really hard to get there from here…..

I started my research here to figure out what drive to buy. It was a piece of cake, many, many thanks to that perennial poster RICHSADAMS!! I was able to pick up one of his recommended 1TB drives from Amazon for $95, free shipping, and I got it in 3 days.

Now the next hurdle, how do I do the upgrade? Back to do research. Should I use Win MFS or MFS Live? Hmmmmm, do I mess with “Linux”, or do I stay safe and sound with Windows? No brainer, right? So I download Win MFS, pop open my PC and realize I don’t have enough SATA cables or power connections to run three drives at once. Maybe I can use the cable from my Tivo (no luck there!)?

I remember reading in one of the posts, that I could use my external USB/SATA drive enclosure. That could handle one drive, all I would need is one SATA cable (for $95, you don’t get a drive w/cable from Amazon. Yea I know, that’s what OEM means.). I’m still short one SATA cable. What are my choices? Order one for $6 from ‘Cables R Us’, ask the nice IT guy at work if I can borrow one, or borrow one myself from that empty office at work with the PC sitting there doing nothing. I opt to ask the nice IT guy, it still costs be $6 (I agree to buy him lunch), but I don’t have to wait for it to be delivered (and I’ll probably never need/use it again).

So now I am set and ready to go. I plan a night where I can stand not to watch/record any HD TV (Tivo is my only set top box for FIOS), more important, a night where my wife won’t mind sitting in the bedroom or kitchen to watch TV. After dinner, I crack open my Tivo to extract the drive (cursing the SATA/power cable), do the same to my PC and prepare to get to work. I place the good Tivo drive in the external USB enclosure, plug my loaner SATA cable into the motherboard/new drive, and connect the remaining power connector to the new drive. I am almost ready to go!!!

I power up my PC, disable my virus software (see, I do read the instructions), and just to be safe, unplug the network cable. I plug in my 8GB USB drive (I downloaded the WinMFS.zip at work and saved it there, please don’t tell my boss!). I extracted the EXE to the USB drive and double-clicked on the extracted app, expecting it to install. It does not install, it just runs, that makes it cleaner (I thought). I see the "Tivo" drives, I read the directions (thanks again Rich), I do the truncated backup, I start the copy and why is taking so long? “ETA 53:12:23”, is that hours or days??? It must be doing something, the LED on the USB drive keeps flashing. You’ve got to be kidding me, right? This must be like other windows apps where it jumps from 53 hours to 53 minutes, then back to 53 hours, then back to 52 minutes, right? I let it run for two hours, praying, no such luck. The bottleneck must be the drive in the external enclosure? Do I let this run all night and hope it’s done in time to record David Letterman tomorrow night? There’s that “Cancel” button, do I dare click it? Once I cancel, what are my options?

Needless to say I click “Cancel”, now what do I do, what are my options, what can I do tonight? After some hemming and hawing I decide to byte the bullet and use MFS Live, I have enough cables and power connectors. I disconnect/reconnect everything, download the CD image, create the boot CD, print out the directions from mfslive.org (thanks Spike!). I am ready to go (again).

I disconnect my internal HD, plug in the Tivo drive and do a test boot figuring I can’t screw that up. I “use Shift-PageUp keys and look for hdc, hdd, sda and sdb device names on screen to determine where drives are mounted.”. I am good to go, I see “sda” is a 160GB drive. I shut it all down, add the new drive, boot up again, check to see that “sda” is still the 160GB drive and “sdb” is the 1TB drive, I am golden!

I type backup -qTao - /dev/sda | restore -s 128 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdb , time to hit “Enter”. I really don’t want to hit it, but I finally do. Of course I got the string wrong, missing the spaces in front of “dev”. I insert the spaces and hit “Enter” again, Houston, we have lift-off!!. Wow, I am a Linux expert! Better yet, it’s going to be done in less than an hour, can it be? I might be able to record Letterman tonight!

So I’m watching the countdown of the backup/restore and I suddenly think, What about “supersize?”. It’s already close to my bedtime, I can’t do any research as my PC is tied up in Linux. Then I thought, maybe when I’m done, I can use WinMFS to do the supersize? So the restore finishes, everything looks good! I disconnect/reconnect everything and I do a search on the forums for “super size” (do you have any idea how many posts reference super size?). I figure it’s worth a shot, let me try Win MFS, so I shutdown the PC, plug in the new 1 TB drive, and power up. I plug in my 8GB USB drive to run Win MFS, and the system responds, “Drive is not formatted, do you want to format?”

WTF? I am beaten, my USB drive is toast, and Letterman starts in 20 minutes. I give up, grab the new drive, and head back to the pile of Tivo guts spread out on the kitchen table to the sound of “when are you coming to bed?” It’s a matter of minutes to put it all back together, and a few more to get it connected to the TV. Now the moment of truth, the TV is on, I connect the power to the Tivo, “Powering up”, “Just a Few Minutes More”, there’s Rock Hudson, CSI, TeleTubbies, I’m almost there! There’s my “Now Playing” list intact, my wife will be able to replay “Dancing with the Stars” one more time and complain about the judging! I go to Settings, and there it is, I now have 147 hours of HD recording, I guess I do need to supersize to get the extra 10 hours.
I did not like Letterman’s monolog that night!

How do I super size my drive now? Please don’t tell me the answer appears elsewhere……. I just wish I had the time to read all of the postings.

Wishin' I was fishin'!
cchenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #3824
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchenning View Post
How do I super size my drive now? Please don’t tell me the answer appears elsewhere……. I just wish I had the time to read all of the postings.

Wishin' I was fishin'!
Just connect the upgraded drive to the PC again and select the drive under WinMFS and turn supersize on. That's it. If you have long enough cables you just need to remove the cover of the Tivo and not actually remove the drive completely.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #3825
hearncl

WinMFS backup file sizes?

Over the last week I upgraded the drives of both a TiVo HD and a TiVo S3 to 1 TB, using WinMFS. As part of the process I created backups of the original drives (both 750 GB). My understanding is that these backups contain the system software, settings, season pass list, etc., but not recorded programs. I found that the backup file (*.tbk) size for the HD was 466 MB, while the backup file size for the S3 was 292 MB.

The HD and S3 had similar settings and season pass lists. A difference is that the S3 had two cablecards and the HD a single multistream card.

Is there an obvious reason why the S3 had a considerably smaller backup file size than the HD?
hearncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #3826
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchenning View Post
The good news is that my TIVO HD now has a 1TB drive in it, it is working, and I am kinda happy!
Phew! Congratulations and welcome to the club. Nice little story and much like a lot (most) of us have gone through at one time or another. It gets easier the more often you do it. Whaddya mean you'll never do it again!

As Innocent mentioned, just connect your new hard drive to your PC, fire up winMFS and click on Tools > supersize (I think that's where it is...been a while now). Restart TiVo and you should be golden.

If I had a nickel for every time my wife asked when I was coming to bed I'd be rich, rich, rich!

BTW, thanks for the kind words but kudos and accolades go to bkdtv for capturing all of the critical info and Spike (the author of the MFS upgrade programs) for the genius that he is.

Oh, and I consider myself more of an annual than a perennial.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #3827
lew

THIS ONE WORKS.

MDL: WD10EVVS - 63M5B0
Product of Thailand
DATE: 13 AUG 2009
DCM: HARCNV2CHB
R/N: 701640
LBA: 1953525168
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #3828
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
THIS ONE WORKS.

Product of Thailand
DATE: 13 AUG 2009
DCM: HARCNV2CHB
Thanks for that. Looks like the Sept 20 manufacture date is crucial (perhaps after that? ).
Old 10-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #3829
innocentfreak

Quote:
Thanks for that. Looks like the Sept 20 manufacture date is crucial (perhaps after that? ).
Actually the other thing I noticed is the DCM drives that start with a D don't work, but the ones that start with a H did work including the one from Sept,2009.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #3830
richsadams

Quote:
Actually the other thing I noticed is the DCM drives that start with a D don't work, but the ones that start with a H did work including the one from Sept,2009.
Good observation. Wonder what each DCM character stands for (firmware, logic board )? I asked WD but of course that was ignored by "Pablo".

I haven't heard anything more from WD after asking that my inquiry be "kicked upstairs". We'll see if they respond to anything else.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #3831
hearncl

Quote:
But my DARCHV2MBB, Sept. 20, drive worked (post #3735).
hearncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #3832
innocentfreak

I missed that post then or misread it when I was going through the posts.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #3833
stuck23235

Product of Thailand
DATE: 21 JUL 2009
DCM: DHNCHV2MAB

It looks like mine is just some bad sectors as I have not seen a reboot in a couple of days with the original drive. It worked ok for almost 1 month. I was up over 400 GB with a few games recorded and that is when the fun started.
stuck23235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #3834
wgw

wd15evds in stock at beachaudio.com

I've been waiting since July for the wd15evds. About 2 months ago I ordered it from provantage for about $145, but it never shipped. I cancelled that order last week when I saw that they reduced the price to $130. This morning, I almost reordered from provantage for $130, but then I saw that Beachaudio.com had 60 wd15evds in stock as of 10/15, so I reordered my 2 drives from beachaudio. Apparently no one else has ordered it in the past 12 hours. There are still 58 left. I just talked to them a few minutes ago and they said my drives already shipped. The price at beachaudio is currently $142.99 and they have free shipping.

Last edited by wgw : 10-16-2009 at 06:55 PM.
wgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #3835
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
That's my understanding as well...particularly the fifth and sixth letters which indicate the heads that are used. I've also read that it indicates which logic board it has and I saw another post saying that it also includes the firmware verison...but then I saw another post that said it does not. It's very important to folks that are rebuilding broken hard drives. But I have yet to find a breakdown of the actual code. For our purposes, I have no idea if it's meaningful. The manufacture date seems to have as much to do with it as anything. If it does turn out something has been changed it'll be a surprise as bkdtv pointed out, the WD10EVVS is the very same drive that TiVo uses.
Unless TiVo has changed the model of HD they use as of Sept 20...

On the other hand, if TiVo does use this "newer" HD, wouldn't it be possible that they could modify their code (OS or PROM) to work with the newer, apparently different, WD10EVVSWD? Of course end users wouldn't see this until TiVo's stock of the pre-Sept 20 drives runs low.

It would be great, although unlikely, if anyone could verify that the stock TiVo has the WD10EVVS with a drive manufacture date of Sept. 20 or later, and the TiVo software version. Is there an easy way to determine the PROM version?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #3836
MitchV

FWIW, I recently ordered an EVVS from Buy.com earlier in the week. The drive I received is as follows:

Product of Thailand
DATE: 19 SEP 2009
DCM: HBNCNV2MGB

This seems to have beaten the SEPT 20 date by a single day... the site says they still have stock.

Does it sound like this version of the drive will work? I haven't upgraded my TiVo and probably won't upgrade for a while, so unfortunately I can't report success or failure.

Thanks!
MitchV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #3837
Wetsprocket625
TiVo Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchV View Post
FWIW, I recently ordered an EVVS from Buy.com earlier in the week. The drive I received is as follows:

Product of Thailand
DATE: 19 SEP 2009
DCM: HBNCNV2MGB

This seems to have beaten the SEPT 20 date by a single day... the site says they still have stock.

Does it sound like this version of the drive will work? I haven't upgraded my TiVo and probably won't upgrade for a while, so unfortunately I can't report success or failure.

Thanks!
I also received one from buy.com yesterday Sep 19 DCM DANCHV2MAB EVVS. So far it seems to be working good. Used WinMFS copy. TivoHD
Wetsprocket625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #3838
CraigK
(unspecified)

I ordered a WD10EVDS and tried WinMFS on my TiVo HD tonight using the SATA>USB cable.

Quite a different result from last weekend's attempt with the EVVS.

Before...

After...

Thanks to everyone here for the help especially bkdtv for the FAQ and or course spike for WinMFS.

Last edited by CraigK : 10-17-2009 at 09:42 PM.
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #3839
roytwo

Well couldn't get my WD10EVVS to work so ordered a Seagate Pipeline from provantage and went that direction.

Got a :

ST31000322CS
P/N9GW134-305
Firmware SC13
Date Code 10073
Site Code TK

Turned off the AV, hooked up with a USB connection 30 min later powered up my S3 . 55 seconds at the stand By..Powering Up screen and success.

So my procedure was sound but the WD10EVVS just wouldn't take. Buyer beware.
roytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #3840
bkdtv

For now, I think it's best to avoid the Western Digital WD10EVVS. Many of those drives manufactured on/after September 20 don't appear to be compatible with the TiVo.

If you've already received a WD10EVVS with a manufacture date prior to Sept 20, you should be fine.

I've linked several vendors for the WD10EVDS and Seagate ST31000322CS in the first post.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote