TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #3691
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
bkdtv - thanks for the reply. I was afraid the winmfs was just for Tivo's. Such a cool program.

I'm afraid that looking at kmttg - it's way over my head and does more than I need or am able to learn at this time. The thread on it was too technical for me (at least at this early on in my dabbling with Tivo). Isn't there a way - without a multi-tasked software program - to just see how much of the hard drive is full? Short of that, is there one discrete, simple program that would just read available space (or amount of recorded space - either one).

Thanks again.
Lynn.
Try ***TiVoPlaylist***. Its primary function is TiVo-to-Go downloads, but it keeps track of the total disk usage on the NPL. Free, easy to install, and very little setup effort.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 AM   #3692
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
I'm afraid that looking at kmttg - it's way over my head and does more than I need or am able to learn at this time. The thread on it was too technical for me (at least at this early on in my dabbling with Tivo). Isn't there a way - without a multi-tasked software program - to just see how much of the hard drive is full? Short of that, is there one discrete, simple program that would just read available space (or amount of recorded space - either one).

Thanks again.
Lynn.
To answer your questions yes there are programs that will tell you how much space is used on your TiVo hard drive. The problem is that everything is an estimation. No HD (or SD) program is ever exactly the same with respect to how much data is delivered. One hour of HD is anywhere from 4GB to 6.5GB and a two-hour recording could be around 8GB or 10GB. It all depends on the original broadcast and how much or how little the recording is compressed during delivery. So even though you may know how much space has been used, there is never an exact way to predict how much "recording space" is left. Does that make sense?

One way to make a guess at how much space you have left is to view your Recently Deleted folder. If it has a lot of files you have plenty of room left. If there are only a few, space is becoming a premium (or you've deleted a lot of very old shows)...not very scientific.

TiVoPlaylist is a good option for PC's. Their hard drive graph is useful.

KMTTG (works w/PC's and Mac's) is really not complicated at all. The installation page only lists a few steps. Simply download and install it. During the brief installation process it will ask to download some tools. Do that and then the first time you launch kmttg you'll need to enter your TiVo 10 digit Media Access Key (MAK) which is available from your TiVo account on line or directly from your TiVo (Messages and Settings > Account and System Information > Media Access Key). After entering the MAK click on the "Refresh" button and give it a short time to list all of your recordings. It will give you a text readout of how many recordings you have and how much space is used.

If you have a Mac the best program is iTiVo. Among other features it will give you a hard drive use chart.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-05-2009 at 02:21 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #3693
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,831
If you use TiVoPlaylist, there is some pertinent discussion in the last few posts to ***this thread***.

EDIT: And perhaps even more pertinent: ***here***.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dlfl : 10-05-2009 at 09:44 AM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #3694
caddyroger
Registered User
 
caddyroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Some where out west
Posts: 1,601
I want to install a new 1TB Seagate hard drive in a Tivo s3. The ones that is listed on the first page are from 2007. Are they any newer models that will work on a s3
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #3695
moxie1617
Registered User
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Metro area
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
I want to install a new 1TB Seagate hard drive in a Tivo s3. The ones that is listed on the first page are from 2007. Are they any newer models that will work on a s3
It is kept current by bkdtv and the last update was 9/29/2009.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #3696
caddyroger
Registered User
 
caddyroger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Some where out west
Posts: 1,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
It is kept current by bkdtv and the last update was 9/29/2009.
Thanks I should learn to look better. I just got from a work out which I hate to do but I guess when you are a diabetic with minor heart condition and over weight I have to go.

Last edited by caddyroger : 10-07-2009 at 04:42 PM.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #3697
lynnalexandra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 107
DLFL - thanks. the Tivo Playlist worked great. I had filled up the 2TB of space - Yikes. I'm glad to have found that out before it started erasing programs I wanted to keep. (Turns out I need to be more careful in selecting which channel to record my season passes. I had it recording from the HD channels and it doesn't take that long to fill up 190 hours - with a bunch of movies thrown in. From now on, I'll try to reserve HD only for those things where high definition matters.)

Rich - I understood that explanation - thank you. And maybe when I get ready for more functionality I will try the kmttg program (if you say it's not that comlicated, I believe you - you were a tremendous help when I upgraded my drives in June.)

Thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #3698
lynnalexandra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 107
Oops. I posted too soon. I do have a problem. I just went to delete unnecessary recordings and checked Tivo Playlist to see the freed up space. It's recording 695 GB used,and 199GB free space. What about the external 1TB drive I married to this Tivo's internal drive. I'm supposed to have 2TB of space. When I check my Tivo settings, it shows 2TB capacity (320 hr.s hd, 2777 hours of sd capacity).

Is it possible that I have the 2TB of space, but Tivo playlist is only recognizing the internal drive? When I checked yesterday through my programs and Tivo playlist said it was full (no free space), I hadn't paid attention to how much space it said was used (it probably mentioned more like 900GB - bc. I didn't delete over 1TB or programming - just a small portion - 20% sounds about right). I also noticed that when I went to delete unwanted programs, it didn't appear as though anything had been deleted to make new space - suggesting that it wasn't completely full - it had shows from when I first got the Tivo that were set to be deleted if space was needed).

Any ideas about how I can get the Tivo playlist to recognize the full 2TB of space?

Might as well also ask if there's a way for it to also show my other Tivo's space - a Tivo 2 with 500 GB (this is far less important to me though than accurately reading the space on my Tivo HD).

Thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #3699
lew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,255
Tivo playlist doesn't know the size of your hard drive(s). Size of your hard drives is a user inputed field. Some people leave that field at zero. Tivo playlist will increase that number as the number of recordings on your unit increase. That number will become accurate when 100% of your drive is filled with recordings (recently deleted folder is zero).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
Oops. I posted too soon. I do have a problem. I just went to delete unnecessary recordings and checked Tivo Playlist to see the freed up space. It's recording 695 GB used,and 199GB free space. What about the external 1TB drive I married to this Tivo's internal drive. I'm supposed to have 2TB of space. When I check my Tivo settings, it shows 2TB capacity (320 hr.s hd, 2777 hours of sd capacity).

Is it possible that I have the 2TB of space, but Tivo playlist is only recognizing the internal drive? When I checked yesterday through my programs and Tivo playlist said it was full (no free space), I hadn't paid attention to how much space it said was used (it probably mentioned more like 900GB - bc. I didn't delete over 1TB or programming - just a small portion - 20% sounds about right). I also noticed that when I went to delete unwanted programs, it didn't appear as though anything had been deleted to make new space - suggesting that it wasn't completely full - it had shows from when I first got the Tivo that were set to be deleted if space was needed).

Any ideas about how I can get the Tivo playlist to recognize the full 2TB of space?

Might as well also ask if there's a way for it to also show my other Tivo's space - a Tivo 2 with 500 GB (this is far less important to me though than accurately reading the space on my Tivo HD).

Thanks.
Lynn.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #3700
hearncl
Registered User
 
hearncl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 150
Question about WinMFS upgrade of 750GB TiVo HD

I previously did a 750GB internal drive upgrade on my TiVoHD using an upgrade drive from WeaKnees. The TiVo recently began showing signs of a bad drive (freezing requiring a reboot), so I'm thinking of another upgrade to 1 TB before the present drive fails completely. This time I thought I'd purchase a bare 1 TB drive and use WinMFS. My computer is a Mac Pro with four internal drive bays, and I have Windows XP installed on a Boot Camp partition. It will be no problem to use two of the bays for the present and replacement drives.

I've read bkdtv's excellent drive upgrade instructions in this thread, and plan to use the instructions under the TiVoHD section for "Replace the built-in 160GB drive with a 1.0 TB model (157 HD hours)". I would probably use the option to copy both the settings and recordings to the new drive. My question (probably a stupid one) is--does it make any difference that the present internal drive is 750 GB and not the 160 GB drive that was originally in the TiVoHD?
hearncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #3701
drey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearncl View Post
I previously did a 750GB internal drive upgrade on my TiVoHD using an upgrade drive from WeaKnees. The TiVo recently began showing signs of a bad drive (freezing requiring a reboot), so I'm thinking of another upgrade to 1 TB before the present drive fails completely. This time I thought I'd purchase a bare 1 TB drive and use WinMFS. My computer is a Mac Pro with four internal drive bays, and I have Windows XP installed on a Boot Camp partition. It will be no problem to use two of the bays for the present and replacement drives.

I've read bkdtv's excellent drive upgrade instructions in this thread, and plan to use the instructions under the TiVoHD section for "Replace the built-in 160GB drive with a 1.0 TB model (157 HD hours)". I would probably use the option to copy both the settings and recordings to the new drive. My question (probably a stupid one) is--does it make any difference that the present internal drive is 750 GB and not the 160 GB drive that was originally in the TiVoHD?
No, it doesnt' make a difference whether you have 160GB or 750GB for the original drive. The process for the upgrade is identical in both cases and will work just as well.
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #3702
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 934
The other thing I like about TiVoPlaylist is that it sees programs that I copy to another TiVo. The TiVo.com site does not see these. ie: if I copy a show from tivo1 to tivo2 only tivo1 shows the program online on tivo.com.

I told TiVo Playlist that I had a 1000GB drive, but it is showing too much recording time left. I may lower it.
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #3703
lynnalexandra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 107
Lew - Ah. That makes sense. That's how the playlist could have registered close to 900 gb of programming and said there was no free space (but nothing had been deleted). As long as I know to just pay attention to how much space has recordings, from now on I'll ignore if it tells me there's no free space. I'll just subtract from the 1.8 TB size that I know I have.

This TivoPlaylist is great. Thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #3704
CraigK
(unspecified)
 
CraigK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North of Seattle
Posts: 942
I have a WD 1TB drive on the way to upgrade my TiVo HD from 160 GB and have been reading this thread and threads on the MFSLive.org forum in preparation.

I'm going to do the "TiVo Internal Upgrade: Preserve Settings Only" on my TiVo HD since it only has a few recorded programs on it now that I can offload to my PC. My TiVo's upgrade should go relatively quickly.

If this trial run goes well I'll be doing an upgrade to my wife's TiVo HD to 1TB. I'm thinking about doing a "TiVo Internal Upgrade : Preserve Settings and Recordings" on hers because it typically has more unwatched recordings on it. This will take longer since I'll be copying the recordings also.

I'll be using SATA->USB adapters and was wondering if what is in the Recently Deleted folder will make any difference on how long Mfscopy takes to run? Will really deleting the deleted shows in the folder make the copy take less time or is the whole 160GB copied from the old drive no matter what's on there (deleted or otherwise)?

Thanks for any help.
__________________
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!"
CraigK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #3705
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
I'll be using SATA->USB adapters and was wondering if what is in the Recently Deleted folder will make any difference on how long Mfscopy takes to run? Will really deleting the deleted shows in the folder make the copy take less time or is the whole 160GB copied from the old drive no matter what's on there (deleted or otherwise)?
With "TiVo Internal Upgrade : Preserve Settings and Recordings" method, everything is backed up from your TiVo, including the recordings in the Recently Deleted folder.

The "TiVo Internal Upgrade: Preserve Settings Only" method does not backup anything in the Recently Deleted folder.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #3706
moxie1617
Registered User
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Metro area
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by peretparker View Post
I read all points .After this
Make sure you read the 1st post also. It is current and incorporates all the successes and problems encountered by contributors to this thread.

bkdtv has maintained the 1st post and it contains a ton of useful info.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #3707
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
........
I'll be using SATA->USB adapters and was wondering if what is in the Recently Deleted folder will make any difference on how long Mfscopy takes to run? Will really deleting the deleted shows in the folder make the copy take less time or is the whole 160GB copied from the old drive no matter what's on there (deleted or otherwise)?
...........
USB-SATA adapters are considerably slower than a SATA interface. Thus I believe it would be well worth your time to "Permanently Delete" all the recordings in the Deleted folder.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #3708
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
Make sure you read the 1st post also. It is current and incorporates all the successes and problems encountered by contributors to this thread.

bkdtv has maintained the 1st post and it contains a ton of useful info.
I think that post was spam.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #3709
moxie1617
Registered User
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago Metro area
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I think that post was spam.
They got me.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #3710
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
They got me.
D'oh! And wow...the moderators already pulled it! Gooooo moderators!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #3711
hearncl
Registered User
 
hearncl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 150
WinMFS drive selection question

I'm trying to anticipate any problems that might come up using WinMFS to copy my TiVoHD drive settings and recordings to a blank WD10EVVS drive. I will be using a Mac Pro with WinXP installed on a Boot Camp partition. I plan to use two of the Mac Pro's four internal SATA drive bays for the original TiVo drive and the new drive.

My question is, in the two WinMFS "Select Drive" steps (first for backing up the original TiVo drive, and second for specifying the drive to copy to) is it going to be obvious which drive is which? In other words, will WinMFS know which drive is the original and which is the new blank drive?
hearncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #3712
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearncl View Post
My question is, in the two WinMFS "Select Drive" steps (first for backing up the original TiVo drive, and second for specifying the drive to copy to) is it going to be obvious which drive is which? In other words, will WinMFS know which drive is the original and which is the new blank drive?
Yes, the drive model is listed and if it is formatted as a "TiVo" drive or not. Your new drive will not be listed as a "TiVo" drive.

That said, I've always used a PC I built to do my upgrades. I'll be interested to hear how things go using your Mac. Since I have an iMac, MacBook and Mini I couldn't do what you're doing so I'd have to use an adapter to connect the HDD's, but it'll be good to know that it works. (Although I'll probably never give up my "creation" for sentimental reasons )

TIA for posting!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #3713
eaayoung
Registered User
 
eaayoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 150
My DVR expansion drive finally bit the dust today. Finally had to divorce it. I got around 2 1/2 years out of the drive, so I consider myself lucky. When the TIVO rebooted, I only had 5 suggestions still on the S3's drive. Watched most of my favorites since I kinda expected this to happen.

Next step is install a bigger drive in my S3.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #3714
DaveL1981
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
So I'm from Australia, and it turns out the WD15EVDS is impossible to buy - and Provantage won't ship it to Aus.

I was considering a Seagate ST31500541AS - however there have been some comments about the noise. The specs claim a maximum of 28dB compared to 26 dB for the WD.

Has anyone got any experience with this drive and any solid feedback on the noise?

I would have thought that anything under 30 dB would be near enough to silent anyway.

If all else fails - I suppose I'll just go for a WD10EVDS.
DaveL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #3715
pyee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 10
What am I doing wrong?

Sigh. I must be doing something wrong. But what?

I have a Series 3 and bought a WD10EVVS to upgrade it. Snagged WinMFS 9.3f and connected both drives to my Windows XP SP2 PC (a Dell 530) using SATA cables. Made a backup of the original drive, as recommended, just in case. I followed the steps in the first post (with preservation of recordings option). That seemed to go all right as the operation completed (an hour later) and WinMFS now recognized the second drive as a Tivo drive. For obvious reasons, I elected to expand the space on the drive. Took the new WD, put it into the TiVo and powered it up. Got the "Welcome! Powering Up" screen. Which never went away.

I'm now at my wits end. I've tried:
  1. Copying the backup to new drive without preserving the recordings
  2. Boot repair, both options 1 and 2 (didn't expect that to work, but it was quick to try)
  3. Another try at copying the original drive with recordings (and another hour waiting)

Still nothing. The drive appears to work for purposes of writing to it. I can hear it spin up in the Series 3 and make seeking noises for a few seconds, but that's it. When I put the original drive back into my TiVo, the things boots up fine, so I know the system hardware is still functional.

Would some kind soul give me some other ideas I can try out? I've been crawling my way through the posts in this thread but have not yet come across one that describes my situation.

Thanks in advance.

-Peter
pyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:56 AM   #3716
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyee View Post
Sigh. I must be doing something wrong. But what?

I have a Series 3 and bought a WD10EVVS to upgrade it. Snagged WinMFS 9.3f and connected both drives to my Windows XP SP2 PC (a Dell 530) using SATA cables. Made a backup of the original drive, as recommended, just in case. I followed the steps in the first post (with preservation of recordings option). That seemed to go all right as the operation completed (an hour later) and WinMFS now recognized the second drive as a Tivo drive. For obvious reasons, I elected to expand the space on the drive. Took the new WD, put it into the TiVo and powered it up. Got the "Welcome! Powering Up" screen. Which never went away.
Hi Peter. I don't think I qualify as a kind soul, but I do feel your pain. Hmmm...it does sound like you've done your homework. When TiVo cannot get past the Welcome! Powering up screen it means that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive.

I have seen this exact complaint before and this may seem insulting but it's not meant to be...are you sure you've actually fully connected TiVo's hard drive SATA cable to your new drive when installing it? A loose connection can cause what you're seeing. You did? Okay then.

You didn't mention trying to do a basic upgrade (w/o preserving recordings) using the original hard drive (not the backup). It's possible that some of the info is corrupted in your saved image (which I'd delete and re-save again while you're at it). That would be Section V, #18a in the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ.

Also if you have any virus protection (at all) did you fully disable it during the upgrade process?

If that doesn't do it I wouldn't give up, but now and then these kinds of things happen...not only to TiVo but "normal" computers as well. For whatever reason(s) the drive just doesn't want to play nice. You may have to claim that it doesn't work (bad sectors or whatever) and get an RMA to get a replacement.

If you're following all of the steps properly I can't think of much else you can do. Perhaps I missed something and someone else will chime in.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #3717
davidmcd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL1981 View Post
So I'm from Australia, and it turns out the WD15EVDS is impossible to buy - and Provantage won't ship it to Aus.

I was considering a Seagate ST31500541AS - however there have been some comments about the noise. The specs claim a maximum of 28dB compared to 26 dB for the WD.

Has anyone got any experience with this drive and any solid feedback on the noise?

I would have thought that anything under 30 dB would be near enough to silent anyway.

If all else fails - I suppose I'll just go for a WD10EVDS.
I have the Seagete drive in 2 Tivos. It is definitely noisier then the stock HD. While I do not hear it at all in the family room I do hear it in the bedroom. If I were to do it again I would use it for non-sleeping rooms. Hope that helps.
davidmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #3718
davidmcd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 10
Help!

I upgraded 2 Tivos to the 1500 gig Seagate several weeks ago. I thought all went smoothly. One works fine. The other one lets me watch TV for a few minutes then resets. When it resets it hangs on the powering-up screen. If I unplug it and plug it in again it boots up and I am good for another 10 minutes or so of TV. It worked fine for a couple of weeks... Would this be a result of my install? The HD? Something unrelated? Thoughts on how to fix it? Thanks in advance!!
davidmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #3719
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcd View Post
Help!

I upgraded 2 Tivos to the 1500 gig Seagate several weeks ago. I thought all went smoothly. One works fine. The other one lets me watch TV for a few minutes then resets. When it resets it hangs on the powering-up screen. If I unplug it and plug it in again it boots up and I am good for another 10 minutes or so of TV. It worked fine for a couple of weeks... Would this be a result of my install? The HD? Something unrelated? Thoughts on how to fix it? Thanks in advance!!
It could be the new Seagate (??). When I upgraded to a 1 TB Western Digital, I first ran their "Extended" diagnostic test. It took 9+ hours using a USB-SATA adapter but to me the added security was worth it.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #3720
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcd View Post
Help!

I upgraded 2 Tivos to the 1500 gig Seagate several weeks ago. I thought all went smoothly. One works fine. The other one lets me watch TV for a few minutes then resets. When it resets it hangs on the powering-up screen. If I unplug it and plug it in again it boots up and I am good for another 10 minutes or so of TV. It worked fine for a couple of weeks... Would this be a result of my install? The HD? Something unrelated? Thoughts on how to fix it? Thanks in advance!!
The second Seagate could be defective. Or you could've selected the wrong option in WinMFS. See FAQ #14 in the Internal Drive Upgrade section.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |