TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #3661
cuyahoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If you do make the switch I know I and others would appreciate it if you'd post your results. TIA!
So, I swapped the WD drive into the Antec MX-1. The transfer went well. No booting problems. However, it didn't fix my problem. I think the freezing/blocking was actually a bit worse post-reinstall.

Guess the hard drive in the WD enclosure was bad after all.

So, I called the lawyers and divorced the Series 3 and the external drive. Things are better now.

And hey, that Antec enclosure is quite nice.

I might grab another drive and pop it into the enclosure since this is a Series 3 and not a TiVo HD.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #3662
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Are you connecting the 2 drives directly to the computer SATA ports or are you using USB->SATA adapters? Last week I copied a completely full 1GB drive directly to the same Seagate drive you have (5900 RPM, by the way) via WinMFS and it took a little over 6 hours for the copy process on a 4 or 5 year old low-end computer. So, for your copy procedure to take appreciably longer than that if directly connected is cause for alarm.

There have been multiple reports of success going to the big Seagate from the stock drives but none from a previously upgraded one. If you used WinMFS originally it may work, you will have to let us know. That would be a valuable data point. If you used the mfstools on the MSFLive CD originally it will not work correctly in the end and the better procedure is to reinstall the 750GB drive, copy off the portable recordings, and then have a weekend viewing marathon to exhaust the remainder. Then use the stock original drive as source to the Seagate.
Both ports are SATA, with the OS on the machine running off PATA, one of the best features of the Dell Optiplex GX270's we use for fleet machines, plenty of interfaces.
I'm pretty sure I used WinMFS to go from the tiny 160GB to the 750GB, but I did it with a truncated backup, not with all my recordings.
It's not the end of the world if I have to start over on this drive since it's my secondary Tivo. I just have to get a few things off it first.

Very VERY interesting data point, after 5 hours, the older Seagate 750GB drive was a bit toasty, but the new 5400RPM LP drive was cool to the touch.

Diane
Old 09-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #3663
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga View Post
So, I swapped the WD drive into the Antec MX-1. The transfer went well. No booting problems. However, it didn't fix my problem. I think the freezing/blocking was actually a bit worse post-reinstall.

Guess the hard drive in the WD enclosure was bad after all.

So, I called the lawyers and divorced the Series 3 and the external drive. Things are better now.

And hey, that Antec enclosure is quite nice.

I might grab another drive and pop it into the enclosure since this is a Series 3 and not a TiVo HD.
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. It does sound like the hard drive inside the WD My DVR Expander died.

You shouldn't have any problems dropping a new 1TB drive in the MX-1 and connecting it to your Series3. You'll get an "Unsupported drive" screen, but you'll be allowed to continue.

BTW, ProVantage has the recommended WD10EVVS for about $91 right now...a pretty decent price.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #3664
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Very VERY interesting data point, after 5 hours, the older Seagate 750GB drive was a bit toasty, but the new 5400RPM LP drive was cool to the touch.

Diane

I was amazed at the temp difference between a old Seagate & a WD10EVVS too.

On a side question;
Has anyone noted difficulties with MyBook drives/enclosures?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #3665
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

For those playing at home, yeah, no way this was going to work, the ETA numbers got wonky after 24 hours with a copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
If you are unsuccessful with the backup and restore, I would use original image from your stock 160GB TivoHD. We know for a fact that image can be expanded to 1.26TB.
Exactly where I'm going, I'm putting the stock 160GB back to get it to upgrade itself to 11.x, no recordings on it, then after that, I'll back it up, and restore it to the new 1.5TB with WinMFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
A.

There have been multiple reports of success going to the big Seagate from the stock drives but none from a previously upgraded one. If you used WinMFS originally it may work, you will have to let us know. That would be a valuable data point. If you used the mfstools on the MSFLive CD originally it will not work correctly in the end and the better procedure is to reinstall the 750GB drive, copy off the portable recordings, and then have a weekend viewing marathon to exhaust the remainder. Then use the stock original drive as source to the Seagate.
I hadn't realized the "can't upgrade 2x" bug was going to get me, I was remembering the old PATA S2s where you could upgrade after upgrade. So get the 160GB up to new software, swap out, put the 750GB in to get what I want off it, and then WinMFS from the 160GB with 11.x to the 1.5TB.
Everyone has been a huge help here, thanks!

Diane (old dog learning new tricks)
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #3666
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Question DVR Expander's drive in another enclosure w/TiVo HD?

Since I don't think I saw an answer to this in FAQ, if I marry a 1 TB My DVR Expander to my TiVo HD, if the enclosure dies/goes bad but the drive is fine, I should be able to put that drive in another enclosure and be good to go (not lose recordings made after marriage) if I don't divorce the drive, right? If I divorce them, it should still work fine except for the recording loss, right?

I'd use an enclosure on the recommended list.

People have succeeded in doing this on the Tivo HD (without resorting to tools like mfslive), right?

From what I've read here, TiVo HD only seems to look for the exact model and firmware rev of the supported drive and not the enclosure itself, right?

My Tivo HD is only a few weeks old and I don't think I can wait 90 days for the parts and labor portion of the warranty to go w/the too small stock drive and I'm really wary of voiding the warranty this early on. It seems that the My DVR Expander enclosures are real unreliable so I'm semi-ok w/putting the drive in another enclosure if it dies out of warranty.

If so, I'm going to pull the trigger today and place the order. It sorta sucks that I have to pay for a piece of seemingly unreliable hardware to avoid voiding my TiVo warranty.

Last edited by cwerdna : 09-26-2009 at 06:22 PM.
cwerdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #3667
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Since I don't think I saw an answer to this in FAQ, if I marry a 1 TB My DVR Expander to my TiVo HD, if the enclosure dies/goes bad but the drive is fine, I should be able to put that drive in another enclosure and be good to go (not lose recordings made after marriage) if I don't divorce the drive, right? <snip>
TiVo recognizes eSATA drives by the actual hard drive model number.

So I believe the answer to your basic question is yes. Providing you don't divorce the eSATA drive and disconnect and re-connect it properly, you should be able to remove the hard drive from a WD My DVR Expander and place it in another enclosure (one that will work/is recommended such as the Antec MX-1) and life will go on. The caveat would be that AFAIK no one has tried it with a 1TB WD My DVR Expander or with a TiVo HDXL (understood that you have an HD), but there's no reason to think that it wouldn't work.

Keep in mind that the WD My DVR Expanders have a one-year warranty. Removing the hard drive before the year is up would void the warranty of course. What you're proposing makes sense, but I'd just use the original enclosure until it stops working. Then you can make the decision to either get an RMA if it's under warranty or place the hard drive in a new enclosure to see if the problem is actually with the OEM enclosure or the drive itself.

Last edited by richsadams : 09-27-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #3668
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Exactly where I'm going, I'm putting the stock 160GB back to get it to upgrade itself to 11.x, no recordings on it, then after that, I'll back it up, and restore it to the new 1.5TB with WinMFS.
*sigh* this is not at all as smooth as I was hoping, the 160GB stock unit won't do a successful connect, i get an S02 error on loading data and that's it, even after rebooting.

Since you can't upgrade a drive twice, would a truncated backup of the 750GB restored to the 1.5TB be feasible? I was thinking the Instantcake method too, but I'm not finding that it works on a something in the 1.5TB range.

Any pointers to the right resource to be heading to in this, such as a link to a post in the upgrade forums is welcomed.

Diane
Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #3669
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Keep in mind that the WD My DVR Expanders have a one-year warranty. Removing the hard drive before the year is up would void the warranty of course. What you're proposing makes sense, but I'd just use the original enclosure until it stops working. Then you can make the decision to either get an RMA if it's under warranty or place the hard drive in a new enclosure to see if the problem is actually with the OEM enclosure or the drive itself.
Thanks! I plan to RMA the Expander if it craps out under warranty and only get a replacement enclosure once out of warranty.
cwerdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #3670
dlfl
Cranky old novice

When I expanded my THD internal to 1 TB recently using WinMFS, everything went smoothly and I've had no indication of a problem.

I did a truncated transfer and although I deleted all my programs from the original 160GB drive beforehand, I neglected to permanently delete the deleted programs. Thus with the new drive installed, all the deleted programs showed up (in the deleted folder). I didn't think that was a clean situation so I did some experimenting.

I could recover one of these programs but when I tried to play it, TiVo said something like it had failed to record (forgot the exact wording of the message). (Not that I expected it to play!)

I could then re-delete the program and it went back into the deleted folder.

So I just went through the deleted folder and permanently deleted all these "phantom" programs, which it let me do with no apparent problem.

Question: Have I built in some weird problem that will pop up in the future by this screw up? I'm a long way from filling the drive, so there's no way to tell if I've screwed up its total capacity yet. The system info says the normal value for a supersized 1 TB drive (157 HD hrs).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and

Last edited by dlfl : 09-29-2009 at 08:45 PM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #3671
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Question: Have I built in some weird problem that will pop up in the future by this screw up? I'm a long way from filling the drive, so there's no way to tell if I've screwed up its total capacity yet. The system info says the normal value for a supersized 1 TB drive (157 HD hrs).
No, you did nothing wrong. When you perform a truncated backup, you are always left with NPL entries for the recordings that you did not backup. It's safe to delete these recorded entries and this has no bearing on your capacity.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #3672
eochs

silly question (since I don't feel like digging through 184 pages of this thread), but I assume I can just use 2 external USB hard drive enclosures (instead of usb-sata conversion cables) to hook up my old tivo HD drive and new WD 750GB drive to my computer for the upgrade? Thanks!
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #3673
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by eochs View Post
silly question (since I don't feel like digging through 184 pages of this thread), but I assume I can just use 2 external USB hard drive enclosures (instead of usb-sata conversion cables) to hook up my old tivo HD drive and new WD 750GB drive to my computer for the upgrade? Thanks!
Yes, you can. A USB drive exclosure is no different than a USB->SATA adapter. It's just a USB->SATA adapter inside an enclosure.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM   #3674
eochs

Figured that, just didn't want to have to buy extra equipment for no reason...
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #3675
pgartung

Will any old sata drive work?

I have a 400GB SATA drive siting around. My TivoHD is still within the one year warranty period so I hesitate to do an internal drive upgrade. Can I put that 400GB drive in an eSata enclosure and have the Tivo recognize it?
pgartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #3676
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Only the My Expander drives are Plug-N-Play drives that will work on the Tivo HD/XL without having to open up the Tivo and hook to the Computer to 'prepare'.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #3677
jcthorne

These guys are selling a 2TB single drive upgrade for the TivoHD. They have 100% feedback so what do they know that we dont?

I would love to install a 2TB in my TivoHD but no one here or at mfstools has reported sucess doing so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TiVo-Drive-Upgra...d=p3286.c0.m14

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #3678
innocentfreak

The last post on this thread on MFSlive.org discusses it. It has something to do with creating additional partitions.

I believe Spike has said he doesn't have plans to implement it since it would require either a complete re-write and/or wouldn't be backwords compatible.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #3679
richsadams

That's my understanding as well. 2TB's can be done with some additional and complicated hard coding (beyond winMFS and MFSLive capabilities at this time). Looks like the ebay seller has taken the time to do that. IIRC someone here bought one but I can't remember who it was.

In any case $260 was what I paid for a 1TB a couple of years ago (on sale at BB) and it was sooo exciting to have soooo much space! With the price for 2TB HDD's being what they are (about $210 unless he's buying in bulk...and even then), he's working on a pretty slim margin after whatever he considers labor costs though.

Last edited by richsadams : 10-02-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typo...d'oh!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #3680
pgartung

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Only the My Expander drives are Plug-N-Play drives that will work on the Tivo HD/XL without having to open up the Tivo and hook to the Computer to 'prepare'.
OK. Since I have to open the Tivo, I might as well swap in the 400GB drive for the stock drive. I have used winmfs before with Series 2 Tivo's so this will be a no-brainer.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #3681
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgartung View Post
OK. Since I have to open the Tivo, I might as well swap in the 400GB drive for the stock drive. I have used winmfs before with Series 2 Tivo's so this will be a no-brainer.
You realize that you can get a compatible 1TB drive for as little as $80 shipped, correct? [TiVoHD-only WD10EADS, TivoHD/Series3-compatible Hitachi]
Old 10-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #3682
pgartung

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You realize that you can get a compatible 1TB drive for as little as $80 shipped, correct? [TiVoHD-only WD10EADS, TivoHD/Series3-compatible Hitachi]
Yes. I am just being cheap.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #3683
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgartung View Post
Yes. I am just being cheap.
Honesty! How refreshing.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #3684
haplo888

I'm planning to upgrade my internal drive in an HD with 1 .5gb drive, likely a Seagate, to get the 1.26gb internal limit. I want to leave the option open to later add an external drive and read under the FAQ IV.10 that I can later marry the upgraded internal drive to a new external drive using WinMFS.

When I marry the drives at a later date does it still preserve my recordings?

Thanks
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #3685
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post
I'm planning to upgrade my internal drive in an HD with 1 .5gb drive, likely a Seagate, to get the 1.26gb internal limit. I want to leave the option open to later add an external drive and read under the FAQ IV.10 that I can later marry the upgraded internal drive to a new external drive using WinMFS.

When I marry the drives at a later date does it still preserve my recordings?

Thanks
Yes.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #3686
haplo888

Everything seemed to go smoothly. I'm showing 198 HD hours or 1733 SD hours. Does this sound right for 1.26tb with SuperSize? Is there some other way that I can check if the SuperSize worked?

Thanks,
Haplo888
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #3687
lynnalexandra

Haplo's question reminded me of one I keep meaning to ask. In June, I upgraded to 1TB internal hard drive and 1TB external drive. I was able to see that the capacity was increased. I've been recording like crazy and have no idea how much space I have left. Is there a way I can see how much space I used and how much I have left? I don't want to fill it shows of lesser priority if I'm getting close to capacity.

On a slightly off-topic question - I loved using the winmfs program to copy the original hard drive onto the larger 1TB drive. Would that program work if I want to copy the 40GB hard drive in my daughter's pc to a larger (perhaps 200GB) hard drive? I don't have the original disks (like windows xp) bc. I bought it used. I've also set it up in other ways I'd like to preserve. Could I follow the same steps and program to do this? Or is that program specific for copying tivo drives?

last point - about the ebay seller selling 2TB drives for only $259. First - wow - what a great price. If I'd seen that when I did my upgrade, I might have gone for that instead. I did buy from that seller (dvr dude) to upgrade my Tivo 2 hard drive. And the product, instructions and support were excellent. I was very pleased.

Lynn.

Thanks.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #3688
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post
Everything seemed to go smoothly. I'm showing 198 HD hours or 1733 SD hours. Does this sound right for 1.26tb with SuperSize?
Yes.

1.00 TB w/ Supersize = 157 HD hours
1.26 TB w/ Supersize = 157 * 1.26 = 198 HD hours
Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #3689
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
Haplo's question reminded me of one I keep meaning to ask. In June, I upgraded to 1TB internal hard drive and 1TB external drive. I was able to see that the capacity was increased. I've been recording like crazy and have no idea how much space I have left. Is there a way I can see how much space I used and how much I have left? I don't want to fill it shows of lesser priority if I'm getting close to capacity.
Kmttg will tell you how much capacity you've used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnalexandra View Post
Could I follow the same steps and program to do this? Or is that program specific for copying tivo drives?
WinMFS is specific to TiVo drives.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #3690
lynnalexandra

bkdtv - thanks for the reply. I was afraid the winmfs was just for Tivo's. Such a cool program.

I'm afraid that looking at kmttg - it's way over my head and does more than I need or am able to learn at this time. The thread on it was too technical for me (at least at this early on in my dabbling with Tivo). Isn't there a way - without a multi-tasked software program - to just see how much of the hard drive is full? Short of that, is there one discrete, simple program that would just read available space (or amount of recorded space - either one).

Thanks again.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote