TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #3631
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post
I am trying to monitor how long my tivo has been running without rebooting. Is there a screen or a way to tell how long your Tivo has been on for?
I activate the clock. If that's gone I know the tivo rebooted. It's not elegant but it is a way of telling if it has or hasn't rebooted.
I think there is another way- maybe by monitoring network connections?? I'm trying to drudge up 3 year old memory's & not being very helpful.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 09-21-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #3632
jbrady3324

How do you activate the clock?
jbrady3324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #3633
alyssa

oh, sorry.
while you're playing back a recorded show press the following sequence;
select, play, select, 9, select

you should see two clocks, one is elapsed time of the recording (I think) the other is the actual time. Both of these will be in the lower right corner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #3634
jbrady3324

Big Grin

Thanks Alyssa!
jbrady3324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #3635
evanborkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Sounds good. Let us know how things go.
re. wiredzone.com; smooth transaction and a smooth upgrade.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #3636
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanborkow View Post
re. wiredzone.com; smooth transaction and a smooth upgrade.
Sweet!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:36 AM   #3637
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

I decided after multiple attempts to bring my original TiVo drive back to life to quit messing with it.
I switched out the CDROM drive to an older one, and finally got IC to recognize/mount the drive.
I hooked up the 1TB drive and was able to get the drive working in less than 10 mins.
Finished Guided setup (OTA only ATM) and I'm seeing 131 HD/1244 SD hours in Sys Info.

Can I use WinMFS to supersize this drive to even more?
I turned off TiVo Suggestions and would like to claim some of the space used for the ads.

Thanks for the support Alyssa and Rich!

Last edited by SC0TLANDF0REVER : 09-22-2009 at 12:50 AM.
SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 AM   #3638
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post
I decided after multiple attempts to bring my original TiVo drive back to life to quit messing with it.
I switched out the CDROM drive to an older one, and finally got IC to recognize/mount the drive.
I hooked up the 1TB drive and was able to get the drive working in less than 10 mins.
Finished Guided setup (OTA only ATM) and I'm seeing 131 HD/1244 SD hours in Sys Info.

Can I use WinMFS to supersize this drive to even more?
I turned off TiVo Suggestions and would like to claim some of the space used for the ads.

Thanks for the support Alyssa and Rich!
I can't say for sure if you can use winMFS to supersize your new 1TB drive if you used IC to image it. I don't see any reason you couldn't, but no guarantees of course. Supersize doesn't affect anything else so you could give it a try. Worst case is that you'd have to re-image it again, but I don't think that will be needed.

Glad to hear that it's working again though...and that you can image a brand new 1TB drive with IC and not have to mess around with the original.

Let us know what happens.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #3639
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1 View Post
yes, i used a Seagate 1.5Tb drive in my S3. It only uses 1.35Tb of the space with the stock S3....The 1.35Tb usable space gives me 213 HD hours with the one internal drive, it's quiet and has worked just fine so far...
Dssturbo, that is something I want to do. I am wondering if you started from an already upgraded drive when you moved to 1.5(1.35)TB? I have 1TB now and need a few more hours but I want to keep all current recordings. Did you just copy and then add the extra space from an upgraded drive or did you start with the original drive? I am not sure what I am worried about but I seem to vaguely remember there being some sort of limit to how many times a drive can be expanded. Is that notion obsolete now?
Well, let me answer my own question since this is not common knowledge: No, you can't upgrade twice (if you used MFSLive initially).

Another reason to get the very largest drive possible from the beginning.

Last edited by jlib : 09-24-2009 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #3640
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
I can't say for sure if you can use winMFS to supersize your new 1TB drive if you used IC to image it. I don't see any reason you couldn't, but no guarantees of course. Supersize doesn't affect anything else so you could give it a try. Worst case is that you'd have to re-image it again, but I don't think that will be needed.

Glad to hear that it's working again though...and that you can image a brand new 1TB drive with IC and not have to mess around with the original.

Let us know what happens.
Rich,

I hooked up the 1TB drive up and hit 'supersize' - success!!!
I now have 157 HD/1367SD hours of recording space

Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #3641
alyssa

nice!!
welcome to the 157 club

Old 09-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #3642
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post
Rich,

I hooked up the 1TB drive up and hit 'supersize' - success!!!
I now have 157 HD/1367SD hours of recording space
Very cool! The last step is the secret handshake.

Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #3643
davidmcd

After reading everything here (yes, all 122 pages) several times, I upgraded my HD to a 1500 gig Seagate internal drive. Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful posts - reading some of the problems faced by others helped me avoid the same!

I was about to do the same to my 2nd HD when it froze and then reset on its own this morning. It is about 9 months old - would it be worthwhile to wait and see if this problems continues or worsens? It has an external WD and wireless adapter connected. I set the clock to see if it resets while I am not watching...how long should I wait before proceeding with the HD upgrade (I am worried about warranty issues)? Thanks!

Last edited by davidmcd : 09-23-2009 at 09:37 AM.
davidmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #3644
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcd View Post
After reading everything here (yes, all 122 pages) several times, I upgraded my HD to a 1500 gig Seagate internal drive. Thanks to everyone for all of the helpful posts - reading some of the problems faced by others helped me avoid the same!

I was about to do the same to my 2nd HD when it froze and then reset on its own this morning. It is about 9 months old - would it be worthwhile to wait and see if this problems continues or worsens? It has an external WD and wireless adapter connected. I set the timer to see if it resets while I am not watching...how long should I wait before proceeding with the HD upgrade (I am worried about warranty issues)? Thanks!
Congrats and welcome to club! I'd go ahead and upgrade your second TiVo now. Rebooting can be caused by a number of issues. It could have simply been an electrical interruption (be sure to have your TiVo's on a UPS). Folks with eSATA drives are particularly vulnerable (loose or bad SATA cables, failing drives, enclosures, etc.).

If you've read through this entire thread (what a trooper!) you've probably noticed that the highest failure component in TiVo is the hard drive...by far. So if your internal drive is going you have a couple of choices. You can upgrade now and put the original on the shelf as a backup or see if TiVo will exchange it ($49) before the one-year warranty is up. Quite honestly if this is the first time something has happened, odds are everything is okay, and again, I'd just upgrade now.

Worst case, if you upgrade and it turns out to be something else, you can always slip the original hard drive back in and ask for an exchange (not mentioning the upgrade to the CSR of course). Although TiVo knows when you've upgraded by their logs, only a couple of folks in the past few years have been denied an exchange as long as everything is put back to normal and they don't find left over PB&J crumbs inside.

Enjoy your "new" TiVo(s)!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #3645
davidmcd

That's what I was thinking - plus I might as well do the second upgrade while everything is still fresh in my mind! Thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #3646
davidmcd

Well, swapping the HD in the second unit went much more quickly - under 20 minutes from the time I unhooked the Tivo until it was hooked up again. Now I have 198HD hours and 1,733SD hours on this unit as well.

I have noticed there is a slightly longer lag between the time a press a button (i.e., the Tivo button) and when the next screen appears (about 3 seconds of black screen). Did I mess up in my haste or is that a by-product of a larger drive?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #3647
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmcd View Post
I have noticed there is a slightly longer lag between the time a press a button (i.e., the Tivo button) and when the next screen appears (about 3 seconds of black screen). Did I mess up in my haste or is that a by-product of a larger drive?
Under Settings -> Video -> Video Output Format, make sure your TiVo is set to fixed 1080i or fixed 720p to eliminate resolution changing delays.

When you do a backup and restore, all the guide data must be re-downloaded and indexed. This indexing is done in the background and it slows responsiveness. After ~48 hours, your TiVo should be back to normal.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #3648
davidmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Under Settings -> Video -> Video Output Format, make sure your TiVo is set to fixed 1080i or fixed 720p to eliminate resolution changing delays.
You hit the proverbial nail on the head. When I was hooking it up I pressed the output format button on the front. When I just pressed it to 1080i Fixed, delay is gone!

Thanks again for all the help everyone here has provided!!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #3649
keenanSR

Quote:
When you do a backup and restore, all the guide data must be re-downloaded and indexed. This indexing is done in the background and it slows responsiveness. After ~48 hours, your TiVo should be back to normal.
I know it's the wrong thread, but on this subject of remote responsiveness, should a TiVo HD respond to remote commands as quickly as the Series 3 does? Both machines have had internal drive upgrades and plenty of time for any housekeeping(3weeks). I can't seem to get the HD to respond as quickly as the S3 - tried all the right/recommended settings for the Harmony remote.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #3650
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
I know it's the wrong thread, but on this subject of remote responsiveness, should a TiVo HD respond to remote commands as quickly as the Series 3 does? Both machines have had internal drive upgrades and plenty of time for any housekeeping(3weeks). I can't seem to get the HD to respond as quickly as the S3 - tried all the right/recommended settings for the Harmony remote.
I just tried various commands with our Series3 and TiVo HD (both upgraded) and both seem to respond about the same. Response really depends on what I'm asking it to do. Normal commands like moving through the Now Playing list, etc. is quick. Anything that requires network communications is slower of course. How much lag time are you experiencing?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #3651
keenanSR

Quote:
I just tried various commands with our Series3 and TiVo HD (both upgraded) and both seem to respond about the same. Response really depends on what I'm asking it to do. Normal commands like moving through the Now Playing list, etc. is quick. Anything that requires network communications is slower of course. How much lag time are you experiencing?
It's hard to put a number to, I guess the best way to explain it is that when using the skip(30sec) ahead function on the S3 it's practically instantaneous whereas with the HD there a perceptible lag, I hit it 3 times on the S3 and I'm there, I hit 3 times on the HD and I have to wait a very small amount, probably not more than a sec. The problem is when moving from the S3 to the HD and back you have to adjust how you use the remote to the machine. I had a lot of trouble setting up the Harmony for use on the HD, many of the commands would not take, timing/delays were off... with the S3, after an initial trial and error period, it works literally as fast as the TiVo peanut remote and I haven't had any problems with it in 3 years.

I realize they are 2 different machines, so to expect identical behavior may be a lot to ask, but based on your comments it seems as if it is a possibility. It's just somewhat annoying to have a "cadence" you use on one machine and not be able to use that same cadence on the other. Put another way, I know I'm on a different machine when using the HD without even looking at the remote, the response to the commands tells me I'm on the HD.

I'm thinking of contacting Harmony to see if my S3 setup can be cloned to the HD, but the remote address thing I'm a bit unsure of as it would need to be changed from the S3 commands. S3 is on 1 and the HD is on 2.

Is there a section here that discusses setup of Harmony remotes with TiVos? Maybe there's something I've overlooked.

I apologize for the off topic discussion, I saw davidmcd's comments about remote response and though I'd take shot.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #3652
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR View Post
It's hard to put a number to, I guess the best way to explain it is that when using the skip(30sec) ahead function on the S3 it's practically instantaneous whereas with the HD there a perceptible lag, I hit it 3 times on the S3 and I'm there, I hit 3 times on the HD and I have to wait a very small amount, probably not more than a sec.
My FF, etc. is about the same on both machines, but it may be a little apples and oranges. I use a Harmony with the Series3 and an HD LCD TV. I'm using the standard peanut remote with The TiVo HD which is currently connected to an SD TV. So that might have an impact, not sure.

I do think there's a Harmony remote thread around here somewhere. A search should turn up some info.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #3653
keenanSR

Quote:
My FF, etc. is about the same on both machines, but it may be a little apples and oranges. I use a Harmony with the Series3 and an HD LCD TV. I'm using the standard peanut remote with The TiVo HD which is currently connected to an SD TV. So that might have an impact, not sure.

I do think there's a Harmony remote thread around here somewhere. A search should turn up some info.
Yes, I searched earlier and it pretty much returned everything I already know, maybe I'll dig a little deeper on the Harmony site. It's definitely not a major issue at all, just a bit of an annoyance, especially if they are if fact, supposed to work the same, which so far I'm not even sure of that.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #3654
DaveHigh

Well, after 18 months my external Expander croaked. It was a 500GB one. Question is - can I buy a WD10EVVS (Western Digital 1TB) that was recommended at the very beginning of this thread and replace the 500GB from the Expander with the new drive? I.e. open the "book" looking case, pull out the existing drive and put in this new one? The warranty on the Expander was only a year so it is out of warranty, but I can buy this drive for $90.00 whereas a 1TB Expander is considerably more.

Thanks very much.

dave
DaveHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #3655
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHigh View Post
Well, after 18 months my external Expander croaked. It was a 500GB one. Question is - can I buy a WD10EVVS (Western Digital 1TB) that was recommended at the very beginning of this thread and replace the 500GB from the Expander with the new drive? I.e. open the "book" looking case, pull out the existing drive and put in this new one? The warranty on the Expander was only a year so it is out of warranty, but I can buy this drive for $90.00 whereas a 1TB Expander is considerably more.

Thanks very much.

dave
Sorry to hear about your Expander going south. There are a couple of things to know and consider. The first thing to understand is that recordings are striped across both the internal and external hard drive. Secondly TiVo recognizes hard drives by the exact model number.

That said, did you properly divorce your Expander yet? If not, you may be able to save your recordings. Based on a number of posts the WD My DVR Expander enclosures are more likely to fail than the actual hard drive inside. Some folks have successfully removed the hard drive from the WD enclosure and placed them into a new one such as the recommended Antec MX-1.

If you've already disconnected and divorced your eSATA drive you may still be able to use the hard drive in another enclosure. You can test the hard drive by connecting it directly to a computer and running WD's Lifeguard diagnostic program. If it passes an extended read/write/read test it's a good candidate to be re-used.

Otherwise, again, based on numerous posts, I would not recommend re-using the WD My DVR Expander enclosure...too many have failed. Plus IIRC several people have said that removing the drive damaged the enclosure beyond use.

If you have a TiVo HD you could purchase a new 1TB WD My DVR Expander or you could consider upgrading the internal hard drive (using the WD10EVVS). All the info you need is in the first post.

If you have a TiVo Series3 you could consider using one of the other recommended eSATA drives such as the Fantom 1TB ($92 AR w/free shipping)...but that will only work via plug and play with a Series3, not a TiVo HD.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #3656
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Have I messed up?
I just bought a Seagate 1.5TB 5400LP drive knowing that I can use 1.3TB of it in my TivoHD, however I'm concerned that something has gone awry in the full disk copy process.

I know the 750GB drive was full, but using WinMFS I'm 7 hours in, and it still is sitting at around 130 Hours as an ETA and nothing has moved in 4 hours. I know there are plenty of places where the interface stops responding and I should just wait it out, and I wanted to check with those with more experience on this.

Usually I just do a backup and then restore on to the new drive, but in this case I really wanted to keep the recordings.

Any thoughts? should I give it 24 hours?

Diane
Old 09-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #3657
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Have I messed up?
I just bought a Seagate 1.5TB 5400LP drive knowing that I can use 1.3TB of it in my TivoHD, however I'm concerned that something has gone awry in the full disk copy process.

I know the 750GB drive was full, but using WinMFS I'm 7 hours in, and it still is sitting at around 130 Hours as an ETA and nothing has moved in 4 hours. I know there are plenty of places where the interface stops responding and I should just wait it out, and I wanted to check with those with more experience on this.

Usually I just do a backup and then restore on to the new drive, but in this case I really wanted to keep the recordings.

Any thoughts? should I give it 24 hours?
Make sure you've disabled any antivirus or security software that scans I/O traffic. If nothing has moved in 4 hours, I'd restart the process.

It is possible that WinMFS just can't backup and restore a 750GB drive to a 1.26TB drive. Support for >1TB did not even exist until the last WinMFS version, and it's possible that the software was not updated to allow expansion of already expanded TiVos past 1TB.

If you are unsuccessful with the backup and restore, I would use original image from your stock 160GB TivoHD. We know for a fact that image can be expanded to 1.26TB.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #3658
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Make sure you've disabled any antivirus or security software that scans I/O traffic. If nothing has moved in 4 hours, I'd restart the process.

It is possible that WinMFS just can't backup and restore a 750GB drive to a 1.26TB drive. Support for >1TB did not even exist until the last WinMFS version, and it's possible that the software was not updated to allow expansion of already expanded TiVos past 1TB.

If you are unsuccessful with the backup and restore, I would use original image from your stock 160GB TivoHD. We know for a fact that image can be expanded to 1.26TB.
Thanks!
I am down to 28 hours! that's an improvement.
I realized after that it would have made a ton of sense to have deleted the suggestions and recently deleted before starting this project. I really didn't think this one through.

If I do have to bail, I have no issues putting the 750GB back in, offloading some of the more desirable items back to the PC, then starting fresh with the 160GB to get up to 1.26TB, this is my secondary Tivo, I have an S3 with 2x750GB that's my primary since it has CableCARDs and the TivoHD does not.

Diane
Old 09-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #3659
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks!
I am down to 28 hours! that's an improvement.
Diane! Just wanted to say "hello"! Hadn't seen your name pop up for quite a while. It's good to know you're still pushing the TiVo envelope. Hope all is well.

BTW, bkdtv's advice is right on as aways. Some folks have opened task manager right before upgrading so they can watch their PC's activity. winMFS can appear to be stalled sometimes when in fact it's chugging away. With task manager open you can see if it's actually running or not. You could try that if you have to start over.

Anyway, happy upgrading and enjoy!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #3660
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Have I messed up?
I just bought a Seagate 1.5TB 5400LP drive knowing that I can use 1.3TB of it in my TivoHD, however I'm concerned that something has gone awry in the full disk copy process...
Are you connecting the 2 drives directly to the computer SATA ports or are you using USB->SATA adapters? Last week I copied a completely full 1GB drive directly to the same Seagate drive you have (5900 RPM, by the way) via WinMFS and it took a little over 6 hours for the copy process on a 4 or 5 year old low-end computer. So, for your copy procedure to take appreciably longer than that if directly connected is cause for alarm.

There have been multiple reports of success going to the big Seagate from the stock drives but none from a previously upgraded one. If you used WinMFS originally it may work, you will have to let us know. That would be a valuable data point. If you used the mfstools on the MSFLive CD originally it will not work correctly in the end and the better procedure is to reinstall the 750GB drive, copy off the portable recordings, and then have a weekend viewing marathon to exhaust the remainder. Then use the stock original drive as source to the Seagate.