TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 PM   #3481
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
[Update] Can confirm that the WD7500AACS-00ZJB0 HDD, when installed as internal drive in S3, will cause TiVo to hang at Welcome screen upon soft restart/reboot. For now, I've decided to leave the drive installed to see if I can live with this anomaly. Since the S3 is on a UPS, I would expect only time the hang should occur is when TiVo pushes a firmware update (fingers crossed).
I did that very thing with the WD15EADS in one of my S3 TiVos for a while. I had already purchased the WD15EADS before I realized it may suffer from the same issue as the 1T drive. I installed it, and surely enough, it does. I knew I would be purchasing some additional 1.5T drives to upgrade a RAID array sooner or later, so I just left the WD in the S3 for a few weeks. Outside of my testing it, I never had a problem, because the unit did not require any reboots. A few weeks later, I did indeed purchase some additional 1.5T drives, ordering Seagate drive this time, rather than WD. I swapped the WD for one of the Seagates, and put the WD drive into the array along with the Seagates. 'No big deal, really.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #3482
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneydriver View Post
I have a Tivo S3 with an upgraded internal drive and an external drive. When I upgraded these drives a couple of years ago, the MFSSuperSize option was not turned on. Is it possible to turn on this option on BOTH of these drives now, or would I be playing with fire?
I'm not completely certain, but I think the supersize option only affects the primary drive. I suggest you ask Spike in his forum. To answer your question, however, I don't think there is any significant risk in supersizing the drive system now.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #3483
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Any attempt to do something one has never done before can be daunting prior to the attempt. There is little more frightening than the unknown. When one has made a moderate investment in an item and seeks to make modifications which it is known can result in causing the unit to cease to function, there is definitely a natural, "Oh, my!" response. With that in mind, I applaud anyone who decides to take the plunge, and have no criticism of anyone of limited technical expertise who decides the process is just too risky for them. That said, the whole process is really quite simple in execution. There are indeed several variables one must consider when upgrading and a handful of different actual paths one may take depending on one's preferred outcome, but once one has properly assessed one's situation and chosen an appropriate upgrade method, the actual process is really quite straightforward. In addition, while any process, and in particular any upgrade process can go awry, the number of ways a TiVo upgrade can fail are comparatively limited, and recovery from a failure in all but the most unusual cases is similarly straightforward. If one reads the first post in this FAQ carefully, posts any questions here to clarify anything which is unclear to the reader, understands fully all the prerequisites, and sticks to the process closely, then one is all but assured of success.

I strongly suggest anyone of any level of technical expertise choose an upgrade path which includes a reliable and handy backup strategy. Indeed, my best suggestion is to remove and copy the primary drive to whatever primary medium is being used for the upgrade, then set aside the original drive for backup and safekeeping. Then if one manages to trash the other drive(s), or eventually suffers a drive failure, one can be back online in a matter of a few minutes.
I have yet to do anything with my Series 3 regarding it's harddrive. It is well past the warranty, so cracking the case open shouldn't be a problem. I do have a 500GB MyDVR Expander installed, and as far as I know, the only thing that would remain on the internal drive is the HDNet test pattern I recorded lo so many moons ago. Since I'd lose all of my recordings (besides the test pattern), I've been hesitant to make an "insurance" drive. Ultimately it's up to me to decide what to do, but what would the recommendations be in my case? InstantCake? WinMFS?
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #3484
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
With WinMFS you should be able to copy over your recordings and season passes unless there is some limitation on the series 3/Tivo HD I am unaware of.

EDIT: oh and where did you get a $25 coupon or did you mean gift certificate?
Yes, Gift Cirt. because I use their CC.

I've also got an external hooked up to my stock S3. I don't know if spike has enabled transferring from both sources yet. Last I knew a few months ago it was not possible. I'm on TimeWarner cable so MRVing isn't possible either.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #3485
husky55

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Amazon has the Western Digital WD10EVVS for $92.29 w/free ship

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
This is the recommended drive but I wonder what the difference between this drive and other WD Green 1 TB drives besides what I note below.

Some works with S3 and some don't, but all will work with HD and with the lower 5400 rpm. Some have 8 MB cache some have 16 MB cache.

Tivo Premiere Lifetime with M-Card, WD20EADS
Tivo HD Lifetime with M-Card
Samsung Ecogreen F4 HD204UI
husky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #3486
alyssa

What problems are there with this drive & an S3?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #3487
richsadams

Quote:
What problems are there with this drive & an S3?
If you're referring to the WD10EVVS there are none. It's one of the recommended drives listed on the first post of this sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky55 View Post
This is the recommended drive but I wonder what the difference between this drive and other WD Green 1 TB drives besides what I note below.

Some works with S3 and some don't, but all will work with HD and with the lower 5400 rpm. Some have 8 MB cache some have 16 MB cache.
The WD10EVVS works with all models. The firmware and/or chipset in some others is different and cause a soft reboot issue in Series 3's (and are not listed as recommended drives on the first thread of this sticky). TiVo OEM drives are 5400 RPM w/2MB of cache. Anything equal to or above that is icing

Last edited by richsadams : 08-30-2009 at 01:56 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #3488
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I have yet to do anything with my Series 3 regarding it's harddrive. It is well past the warranty, so cracking the case open shouldn't be a problem. I do have a 500GB MyDVR Expander installed, and as far as I know, the only thing that would remain on the internal drive is the HDNet test pattern I recorded lo so many moons ago. Since I'd lose all of my recordings (besides the test pattern), I've been hesitant to make an "insurance" drive. Ultimately it's up to me to decide what to do, but what would the recommendations be in my case? InstantCake? WinMFS?
If you're comfortable with connecting a hard drive to a PC, use your existing drive to image a new internal hard drive (1TB to 1.5TB) with winMFS. Put the original on the shelf for insurance and use your eSATA drive for something else. Follow the drive recommendations (Section IV, #28) and directions (Section V, 18a) in the first post of this thread .
Old 08-30-2009, 06:27 AM   #3489
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If you're referring to the WD10EVVS there are none. It's one of the recommended drives listed on the first post of this sticky.
Yes, I was referring to the WD10EVVS. I checked both Spikes page & page one which was why I was surprised to hear there might be a problem.
Thanks Rich! <again>

Last edited by alyssa : 08-30-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #3490
richsadams

Quote:
Yes, I was referring to the WD10EVVS. I checked both Spikes page & page one which was why I was surprised to hear there might be a problem.
Thanks Rich! <again>
Unfortunately WD makes two drives, the WD10EACS and the WD10EADS, both of which work as internal upgrades for TiVo HD's but exhibit the soft reboot problem if used as internal upgrades for the Series3 (hence their exclusion from the recommended drive list on the first post). It can be confusing sometimes! The WD10EVVS is a DVR dedicated drive (quiet, etc.) and works with both models (inside and out).
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #3491
innocentfreak

Quote:
Yeah, I've been reluctant to jump because I'll have to lose all my recordings to upgrade. However at that price and since I had a $25 coupon burning a hole, I just *had* too.
Or so goes the expiation to the hubby <grin>

Interestingly, I used supersaver shipping & the order entered the preparing faze almost as soon as I placed it. That says to me their warehouse is slow. I've had it take 5 days to enter the preparing faze before.
Wow must be nice . Mine is expected to ship the 4th with supersaver shipping. Then again I never thought Amazon liked me. I ended up ordering two so that must be why lol.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #3492
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
The recommendation would be to use TiVo Desktop to transfer any unprotected shows to a PC. Then have a weekend viewing marathon to exhaust the remaining saved shows. Then do an internal hard drive upgrade using WinMFS and then put your original internal drive on a shelf for safekeeping. Your external drive can be used as a computer drive or reapplied to the TiVo if you need even more space than the 1TB internal.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #3493
mchief
Morey

Got the Newegg WD10EADS for 74.99 and free shipping, installed and working like a charm. I was wondering about the packing after reading some horror stories. The drive was an OEM in silver static envelope, well wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in peanuts. So no bouncing around. Saw no problem with the packing.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #3494
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If you're comfortable with connecting a hard drive to a PC, use your existing drive to image a new internal hard drive (1TB to 1.5TB) with winMFS. Put the original on the shelf for insurance and use your eSATA drive for something else. Follow the drive recommendations (Section IV, #28) and directions (Section V, 18a) in the first post of this thread .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
The recommendation would be to use TiVo Desktop to transfer any unprotected shows to a PC. Then have a weekend viewing marathon to exhaust the remaining saved shows. Then do an internal hard drive upgrade using WinMFS and then put your original internal drive on a shelf for safekeeping. Your external drive can be used as a computer drive or reapplied to the TiVo if you need even more space than the 1TB internal.
Sounds like a winner - Thanks!
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #3495
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief View Post
Got the Newegg WD10EADS for 74.99 and free shipping, installed and working like a charm. I was wondering about the packing after reading some horror stories. The drive was an OEM in silver static envelope, well wrapped in bubble wrap and packed in peanuts. So no bouncing around. Saw no problem with the packing.
I have gotten many drives from Newegg and have had NO ISSUES. That said, however, I have had some that were in the antistatic envelope and with bubble wrap, but then just thrown in a rather large box with very little more packing material. As I said, they have all worked, it is just that it seemed strange that they SOMETIMES shipped that way. Yours seems fine. My TiVo drive (WD10EADS) came from ZZF and I must say that they had a foam container made for these dirves! Very nice, and in my case, the price was great as well!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #3496
sampsas

Ok so tihs weekend I said what the heck i will upgrade my 2 series 2 Tivos. So i put in the drives into my puter.. fired up MFSLive CD went on my laptop to thje site did the MFSLive ICG and now i have 1 Tivo with 282 hours and the other with 1138 hours of recording time!!! Took more time for the units to bootup then the upgrade did!!! WOW was that ever easy!!!!!! I highly recommed the MFSLive CD option and the MFSLive ICG tool as it is really easy!!!!
sampsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #3497
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampsas View Post
...and now i have 1 Tivo with 282 hours and the other with 1138 hours of recording time!!!
Nice!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #3498
alyssa

from IV sec 18
Quote:
Can I upgrade the built-in hard drive with a larger model without affecting my eSATA drive?

You can do that with the MFSLive bootCD if you are still using the original, factory-installed TiVo drive. You cannot do this if the internal drive was previously upgraded. Note this capability is not yet supported in WinMFS, but it could be added in a future version. Credit to spike2k5 for this answer.
Just looking for a read on the possibility of doing the following;
I have an unmodified S3 with an eSATA, Antec & WD 750GB.

I want to upgrade the internal hd to a 1T. From the above quote, it seems as tho I can swap out my factory internal drive from my S3 for a 1T and maintain the marriage between the internal & external hard drives. Do I read this right?

I assume if I maintain the marriage then I will maintain the recordings?

Are the instruction for the bootCD pretty well laid out? Is the process using the bootcd the same as the process using winmfs? For example can I follow section IV #11 instructions without the divorcing? Basically?
I've had some problems in the past using a much older version of winMSF, 5+ years ago hence my concern. I found winMSF a breeze a year or so ago.

The bootCD says it has support for Tivo Hd, does it support S3's? I assume I can run a linux BootCd on a vista machine?

And on a side note;
I assume I can adjust the acoustics of the eSATA without effecting the marriage?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #3499
jlib
Lean Forward

Yes, you can adjust the AAM anytime without affecting contents.

Yes, S3 is supported by MFSlive boot CD.

MFSlive uses command line entries that have to be typed in something like this:
backup -qTao - /dev/sda /dev/sdb | restore -s 128 -r 4 -exzi - /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
So, it is not for the faint of heart and you need to know how to identify which drive is which and where to find the pipe character on the keyboard so it helps to have some Linux/Unix background or a friend who does who can look over your shoulder. The command line mfstools assume you know what you are doing and will happily overwrite your source drive if you get it backwards. That snippet is from the online manual but as you can see there are 4 hard drives attached simultaneously as if upgrading your external drive at the same time. It sounds like you want to just upgrade the internal and preserve the external.

Since spike2k5 says it is doable you should go to his site and see if there are any relevant posts and if not just post what you want to do with which model TiVo and particularly ask for the precise command line. It will probably look like the above but without the 4th drive. Things to find out: if there is only one destination drive does it copy the eSATA drive to the destination along with the original internal or does it just preserve the marriage. Actually either way will work for you. If the external drive ends up on the single destination you could always marry the eSATA drive later as if it were a newly attached drive. So, go visit spike. Some of us here have done the old school method but with WinMFS being so easy to use most of us are quite rusty. Better to go direct to the source. I do seem to remember someone mentioning doing what you want so there should be a trail already blazed.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #3500
alyssa

Quote:
Series 3:
This section of the guide assumes that your internal TiVo drive is on 1st SATA port, eSATA drive is on 2nd SATA port, new drive is on 3rd SATA port, and cdrom is on primary slave(hdb). If you don't have 3rd SATA port, you can use USB port using USB to SATA adapter. If your eSATA drive has an USB port, you can use that as well. Refer to Computer Setup guide for more details on how to setup drives. This guide does not cover every scenario so try ICG if you are confused.

Disk to Disk Copy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slow way but preserves recordings: (avg 2GB/min)

Option 3.20 To copy everything from original capacity (250GB) internal drive and eSATA drive to bigger single drive and expand capacity. If you get "Backup target not large enough" error, chances are you will need to use this command. This option works only if your internal drive is never been expanded with restore -x option.

This option is built into WinMFS so give it a try.
This quote is from Spikes faq, here;
http://www.mfslive.org/softwareguidep3.htm

I'm wondering if Spike has enabled WinMFS for consolidating an unmoded internal & an eSATA. That would be soooo cool!

I don't need the eSATA right now could add after all the orginal infor is on the upgraded internal.

Assuming this won't work out, I'll have to fine that comand line. If I decide to do that I've got to set a side a bunch of time for the learning curve!! Thank you Jlib. I'm at work so I've got to dive deeper when I get home.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #3501
TiVoToo

External Drive Installed Help

I have installed a WD7500AACS-00ZJB0 HDD into a Vantec NexStar3 enclosure. Tested that I could access hard drive using USB port to connect to PC. Moved enclosure over to my unmodified Series 3 TiVo. Turned off TiVo, connected eSata cable, powered on external drive, then powered on TiVo. Once TiVo, completed reboot, I went to External Storage page where I received notification that "External Storage Not Detected", etc. Turned everything off, checked connections, repeated process with same result. Turned everything off, turn eSata cable around, repeated process with same result. Swapped eSata cable. Same result. I am unable to get the S3 TiVo to detect the attached eSata external drive.
Any suggestions?
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #3502
alyssa

I think you need to do the Kickstart procedure. I'm at work so I can't do the search but it's simple, a matter of button pushes while the light is green.... or something like that. there should be a *much better* howto in this thread somewhere.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #3503
TiVoToo

Quote:
I think you need to do the Kickstart procedure. I'm at work so I can't do the search but it's simple, a matter of button pushes while the light is green.... or something like that. there should be a *much better* howto in this thread somewhere.
In Section IV(9) of the FAQ on first page of this thread it states that the "kickstart62" method is no longer available. It was replaced with the External Storage menu in 9.2, and later versions of firmware. This is section for install of unsupported external drives so I assumed no Kickstart needed. I'll give Kickstart62 a try anyway, see what happens.

[Update] Same result. I wish I had another device in the house with eSata support. I'm beginning to wonder if eSata port on the NexStar or the S3 is kaput. Only way to break the ambiguity is to try with another device.

Last edited by TiVoToo : 09-04-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #3504
alyssa

There use to be some problems with the eSata cables. I wouldn't go out and get another cable on my say so, especially since my last advice was sooo spot on. Sorry about that.

I've got a post on the MFSlive (spike's) site that's getting no response, due, I suspect to the holiday wkend. I can't help but think, the people who are really in the know about such stuff are on vaka.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #3505
innocentfreak

Well my two drives arrived from Amazon today. I had great packaging since it was the box that WD used to ship the drives to Amazon so now I have a nice 10 slot WD box for storing old drives.

I upgraded my living room Tivo HD but now only show 142 hours for HD not the 157 so I wonder if it didn't supersize or if something else happened. Everything went quickly since the drive was empty and worked fine. I am just shorter on space than I expected.

I may upgrade the other Tivo tomorrow just to make sure the Living Room runs fine for 24 hours.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #3506
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
In Section IV(9) of the FAQ on first page of this thread it states that the "kickstart62" method is no longer available. It was replaced with the External Storage menu in 9.2, and later versions of firmware. This is section for install of unsupported external drives so I assumed no Kickstart needed. I'll give Kickstart62 a try anyway, see what happens.

[Update] Same result. I wish I had another device in the house with eSata support. I'm beginning to wonder if eSata port on the NexStar or the S3 is kaput. Only way to break the ambiguity is to try with another device.
Although I don't have another device with an eSata connection, my primary PC has pair of internal SATA that are connected as a RAID. The Vantec came with a eSATA extender, so I bit the bullet, took my PC apart, detached the RAID, and attached the external drive to the PC using the extender. Booted with BART PE. Saw the drive and could peruse the files on it. This indicates that the external drive and cable work when attached to a PC. Still trying to figure out why won't work when connected to the S3.

[Update] Who woulda thunk. A Box Cutter fixed the problem.

Last edited by TiVoToo : 09-04-2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #3507
innocentfreak

I noticed the blue light was off for the Tivo I had just upgraded earlier so I turned it on to check to see if it finished transferring a bunch of shows I had queued up. Well apparently it reset so now it is supposedly booting up. I guess I may need to pull the drive tomorrow and run diagnostics on it to make sure it is good before I do anything else with. None of my other Tivos rebooted though they are on battery backup and this one isn't since there isn't room for one.

EDIT: Well it came up and then when I went to browse the stuff on my computer to transfer shows, it sat there forever at please wait so I left it alone. I came back about 10 minutes later and it is booting up again. Ugh this is not what I wanted to deal with this weekend.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 09-05-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #3508
Dssturbo1

Quote:
....I upgraded my living room Tivo HD but now only show 142 hours for HD not the 157 so I wonder if it didn't supersize or if something else happened. Everything went quickly since the drive was empty and worked fine. I am just shorter on space than I expected....
you should be able to go back and supersize it.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #3509
alyssa

Quote:
I noticed the blue light was off for the Tivo I had just upgraded...... snip..... Ugh this is not what I wanted to deal with this weekend.
At least you've got time to deal with this before the fall season starts.
I'm still wondering at the Amazon shipping thing, your drives must have been shipped from the east coast, & mine from NV.
Good luck!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #3510
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Anybody know if the Western Digital HDD diagnostics (Windows Version) will run at reasonable speed (or at all) if the HDD is connected via a USB-to-Sata interface?

I'm thinking it might be good to run them on my new WD10EADS before using it for an internal upgrade.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote