TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #3451
fidget13a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget13a View Post

I tried to call Dell and have been bounced back and forth between departments. Everyone says they can not handle it in their department. Last person said.....Can you go online and try to get help from online? I was afraid WD may send a refub and figured Dell would send a new one. I figured I would cancel the WD if Dell took care of the problem but it looks like I will need to stick with WD. At least WD is taking care of it without a problem. :-)
I emailed Dell about how I got bounced around on the phone. They apologized and sent me a $50 online coupon. :-)
fidget13a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #3452
fidget13a

Here I am again looking for more advice. :-( I got one of my new WD 1TB harddrives in and tried to install again. I tried three times but it does not ask me if I want to expand the drive. Any suggestions why it is not asking me? Thanks
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #3453
MPSAN

Quote:
Here I am again looking for more advice. :-( I got one of my new WD 1TB harddrives in and tried to install again. I tried three times but it does not ask me if I want to expand the drive. Any suggestions why it is not asking me? Thanks
Is it possible that it is behind the main window? Also, are you running anything else while you are doing this? WinMFS is known to not update if you switch over to other running tasks like Browsing the web to kill time.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #3454
fidget13a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Is it possible that it is behind the main window? Also, are you running anything else while you are doing this? WinMFS is known to not update if you switch over to other running tasks like Browsing the web to kill time.
I closed the window and did not see anything there either. I started form scratch again and put it n the TIVO to see for sure and it only shows 21 hours HD. When the computer reboots there are a few things running like AIM and I shut them down before I go any further. last week when I tried the other drive...the first time this happened but then I did it again and everything was OK. Maybe I will try the computer in the other room. :-(

Thanks

I just noticed that Norton Antivirus was still running in back ground. I think it worked last time when I disabled it. Will try that and try to redo the drive again.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #3455
MPSAN

Quote:
I closed the window and did not see anything there either. I started form scratch again and put it n the TIVO to see for sure and it only shows 21 hours HD. When the computer reboots there are a few things running like AIM and I shut them down before I go any further. last week when I tried the other drive...the first time this happened but then I did it again and everything was OK. Maybe I will try the computer in the other room. :-(

Thanks

I just noticed that Norton Antivirus was still running in back ground. I think it worked last time when I disabled it. Will try that and try to redo the drive again.
YES, the instructions state to turn off NAV, etc. I know I DID!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #3456
fidget13a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
YES, the instructions state to turn off NAV, etc. I know I DID!
Still no luck getting the expand question. would it anything to do with me running WD diagnostics on the drive before I started to do anything? It also ask me a different question the first time I tried it but unfortunately I can not remember the pop up that came on the screen. :-(
Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #3457
bkdtv

Quote:
Still no luck getting the expand question. would it anything to do with me running WD diagnostics on the drive before I started to do anything? It also ask me a different question the first time I tried it but unfortunately I can not remember the pop up that came on the screen. :-(
If it does not ask you the question, you can always select Tools -> Mfsadd to expand manually.

You should then use Tools->Mfsinfo to verify that you have 144-157 HD hours on the new drive.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #3458
fidget13a

I did it on the other computer and IT WORKED!!! :-) It is showing 157 hours HD. What is crazy is.....last week it did not work on the other computer but worked on this one. Just the opposite. Now I will try it out a while before I screw everything back together to make sure drive is not defected like one last week.

thanks everyone for your patience and help.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #3459
kingmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
Sorry if that wasn't clear. I didn't try salvaging my recordings from the Expander. There wasn't anything on the Expander I couldn't really live without, so I didn't want to add that complication to my first time attempting the HD upgrade.) The recordings I was able to keep were the ones recorded to the original HD before I added the Expander about 18 months ago.
Thanks for the clarification--I missed your reply earlier. I had quite an adventure trying to save my recordings and wasn't successful anyway. I finally just accepted it, divorced the Expander, and copied the original internal drive to a new WD10EADS.
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #3460
mooneydriver

MFSSuperSize question

I have a Tivo S3 with an upgraded internal drive and an external drive. When I upgraded these drives a couple of years ago, the MFSSuperSize option was not turned on. Is it possible to turn on this option on BOTH of these drives now, or would I be playing with fire?
mooneydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #3461
sweez

Upgraded to WD10EADS

Just wanted to report that I successfully upgraded my Tivo HD using the WD10EADS drive. The instructions were perfect and exact. Thanks OP.

I had two USB2/SATA enclosures for the transfer. Didnt bother doing the backup, but it still took about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

Also, went to set the AAM option using HDDScan. Curious, I checked the drive's information via Identity Info and said AAM was already Enabled, but the current value was still 254. Decided not to change the value for now to see if drive works quiet enough without changing the value.

Update: drive is pretty quiet even without changing setting.

Last edited by sweez : 08-22-2009 at 08:02 PM.
sweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #3462
TiVoToo

WD7500AACS S3 Internal Upgrade?

Just recently upgraded my home NAS from 1.5TB to 2.0TB due to a good deal on a pair of 1TB HDD. This left me with a pair of WD7500AACS-00ZJB0 HDD that were originally installed in the NAS. One idea i had to utilize these 'leftover' HDD is to use them for an internal drive upgrade on a pair of S3 that I own. Reading through the forums, I see that there is a soft reboot problem using WD GP 1TB for S3 internal upgrade. However, I am unable to find a definitive answer as to whether this problem extends to the older WD GP 750GB model above. I'm hoping someone in this forum can provide an answer.
If I install these drives and they do cause a hang on a soft reboot, I assume hang can be corrected when it occurs by cycling power to the S3? If that is the case, I might be willing to live with it. The only downside appears to be that no scheduled recordings would occur after a soft reboot and a soft reboot should only happen after a firmware upgrade (can't recall last time I commanded a restart/reboot). Firmware upgrades on S3 are infrequent.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #3463
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweez View Post
Also, went to set the AAM option using HDDScan. Curious, I checked the drive's information via Identity Info and said AAM was already Enabled, but the current value was still 254. Decided not to change the value for now to see if drive works quiet enough without changing the value.
An AAM value of 255 means disabled. Anything less means enabled, I believe.

On the WD10EADS, there is a significant difference between an AAM of 128 and 254 from one foot away. You may or may not hear the difference from your seating location; that would depend on your distance, hearing, and room's ambient noise level.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #3464
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoToo View Post
Just recently upgraded my home NAS from 1.5TB to 2.0TB due to a good deal on a pair of 1TB HDD. This left me with a pair of WD7500AACS-00ZJB0 HDD that were originally installed in the NAS. One idea i had to utilize these 'leftover' HDD is to use them for an internal drive upgrade on a pair of S3 that I own. Reading through the forums, I see that there is a soft reboot problem using WD GP 1TB for S3 internal upgrade. However, I am unable to find a definitive answer as to whether this problem extends to the older WD GP 750GB model above. I'm hoping someone in this forum can provide an answer.
The 500GB and 1TB versions of the AACS-00ZJB0 exhibit the "soft reboot" problem on the TiVo Series3, so it's probably a good bet that the 750GB version does too.

Quote:
If I install these drives and they do cause a hang on a soft reboot, I assume hang can be corrected when it occurs by cycling power to the S3?
That's correct, but I would not discount the issue.

If you your power goes out briefly, or TiVo installs a software update, then your TiVo will be stuck on the boot screen until you pull the plug. Unless your TiVo is connected to a UPS, I would probably just spend the $80-90 to buy a 1TB drive that works without that issue.

Last edited by bkdtv : 08-22-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #3465
TiVoToo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The 500GB and 1TB versions of the AACS-00ZJB0 exhibit the "soft reboot" problem on the TiVo Series3, so it's probably a good bet that the 750GB version does too.

If you your power goes our briefly, or TiVo installs a software update, then your TiVo will be stuck on the boot screen until you pull the plug. Unless your TiVo is connected to a UPS, I would probably just spend the $80-90 to buy a 1TB drive that works without that issue.
Thanks for info. You confirmed my suspicions. Both S3 are on UPS, so I might try the upgrade on 'his' S3 and leave 'hers' alone (I wouldn't be able to tolerate the grief I'd get if 'her' TiVo missed some recordings 'cause I messed with it. ) I wouldn't buy a new drive just for this upgrade. Only reason I considered to begin with is that I hate to see good drives go unused and I have some drives to re-purpose.

[Update] Can confirm that the WD7500AACS-00ZJB0 HDD, when installed as internal drive in S3, will cause TiVo to hang at Welcome screen upon soft restart/reboot. For now, I've decided to leave the drive installed to see if I can live with this anomaly. Since the S3 is on a UPS, I would expect only time the hang should occur is when TiVo pushes a firmware update (fingers crossed).

Last edited by TiVoToo : 08-23-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Update
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #3466
mchief
Morey

NewEgg has the 1TB WD10EADS on sale for 74.99 with promo code EMCLWNS37 until 11:59pm PDT today and free shipping.

Last edited by mchief : 08-25-2009 at 09:48 AM.
mchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #3467
Big Boy Laroux

Long time lurker, occasional poster...

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this thread. I just upgraded my TiVo HD to 1 TB and these instuctions could not have been more easy to follow. I do have experience with computer components, but this is a great FAQ for ANYONE.

I did have my TiVo hooked up with the DVR expander, but i had one of those fail on me last year. It was still under warranty, so i got a replacement - but i'd much rather NOT have that extra point of failure. I'm just going to use the DVR expander for a backup PC drive (which i was in the market for anyway).
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #3468
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Long time lurker, occasional poster...

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this thread. I just upgraded my TiVo HD to 1 TB <snip>
Welcome to the club!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #3469
fidget13a

Well......................my replacement drive from Western Digital finally arrived and I tried to install the program on it again. Guess What !

I guess three is a charm because it seems to be working great on my FIRST attempt.

Thanks again everyone for all your patience and help.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #3470
richsadams

Quote:
I guess three is a charm because it seems to be working great on my FIRST attempt. .
Finally! Phew! Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #3471
innocentfreak

Has anyone compared speed of the drives after upgrading? I know when I upgraded my Series 2 Directivos they seemed to get faster but that may have just been due to the jump to Sata with an adapter.

I keep going back and forth about upgrading. I keep hoping the EVVS drives will drop in price so I am tempted to use the EADS since they are so much cheaper but I know I can tell the difference on my computer based on which drive I am accessing so I am afraid it will be the same on the Tivo HD. It already feels slower than the series 2 to me but it is tolerable. I can't imagine them much slower though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #3472
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Has anyone compared speed of the drives after upgrading? ...I know I can tell the difference on my computer based on which drive I am accessing so I am afraid it will be the same on the Tivo HD.
It is fairly well accepted now that having a high performance drive gets you nothing with the TiVo. Some people still do it but they are also those who put premiun in their Civic. Even when recording 2 channels and playing back another recording the drive is actually doing nothing for the majority of the time. A modern hard drive is so fast, even when acoustically detuned or when running at 5400RPM, that the the TiVo is not a challenge. It is not intuitively apparent but when you calculate the actual throughput requirements and the read/write burst speeds of the drive to/from cache it is the TiVo that can't keep up with the drive not the other way around.

Last edited by jlib : 08-28-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #3473
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweez View Post
...Also, went to set the AAM option using HDDScan. Curious, I checked the drive's information via Identity Info and said AAM was already Enabled, but the current value was still 254. Decided not to change the value for now to see if drive works quiet enough without changing the value.
Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) is more of method than a state. Since it is an optional feature of the ATA standards it has to be enabled by the manufacturer. So, if you have a drive with AAM enabled that means you can use software tools to adjust the setting. 254 is the default performance setting. 128 is the detuned setting desired for the TiVo. As you mentioned, that drive is particularly quiet compared to most drives in its default state but it can be quieted even further.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #3474
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...Can confirm that the WD7500AACS-00ZJB0 HDD, when installed as internal drive in S3, will cause TiVo to hang at Welcome screen upon soft restart/reboot. For now, I've decided to leave the drive installed to see if I can live with this anomaly.
Back when 1TB drives were much, much more expensive than now I intentionally installed a WD drive in my S3 even after it was known it had a soft reboot problem because I was able to get the drive for free (sort of like your situation). I agree with bkdtv, though, that with current prices as low as they are it is not the best path to follow. However, since we have both done it I can tell you it is very manageable, at least for someone who lurks on these message threads because you will pretty much be alerted to pending new software upgrades by discussions here so when I notice that I just start checking the system information menu before closing down for the night and if I notice a "Pending Restart" message (auto reboots happen in the wee hours of the morning when the TiVo is least likely to be used) I manually power down and restart. And even if I do miss it I will notice it the next morning (the S3 LED display will tell you it is trying to reboot even with TV off). This mysterious problem has no other repercussions. So, in my case the annoyance was worth several hundred dollars but I wouldn't do it again now.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #3475
alyssa

Amazon has the Western Digital WD10EVVS for $92.29 w/free ship

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #3476
innocentfreak

I may have to jump on one since I do have a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #3477
keenanSR

That's a decent price, I just paid $101 for it from Amazon a few weeks ago.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:15 PM   #3478
alyssa

Yeah, I've been reluctant to jump because I'll have to lose all my recordings to upgrade. However at that price and since I had a $25 coupon burning a hole, I just *had* too.
Or so goes the expiation to the hubby <grin>

Interestingly, I used supersaver shipping & the order entered the preparing faze almost as soon as I placed it. That says to me their warehouse is slow. I've had it take 5 days to enter the preparing faze before.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #3479
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
Yeah, I've been reluctant to jump because I'll have to lose all my recordings to upgrade. However at that price and since I had a $25 coupon burning a hole, I just *had* too.
Or so goes the expiation to the hubby <grin>

Interestingly, I used supersaver shipping & the order entered the preparing faze almost as soon as I placed it. That says to me their warehouse is slow. I've had it take 5 days to enter the preparing faze before.
With WinMFS you should be able to copy over your recordings and season passes unless there is some limitation on the series 3/Tivo HD I am unaware of.

EDIT: oh and where did you get a $25 coupon or did you mean gift certificate?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #3480
lrhorer

Quote:
Well......................my replacement drive from Western Digital finally arrived and I tried to install the program on it again. Guess What !

I guess three is a charm because it seems to be working great on my FIRST attempt.

Thanks again everyone for all your patience and help.
Any attempt to do something one has never done before can be daunting prior to the attempt. There is little more frightening than the unknown. When one has made a moderate investment in an item and seeks to make modifications which it is known can result in causing the unit to cease to function, there is definitely a natural, "Oh, my!" response. With that in mind, I applaud anyone who decides to take the plunge, and have no criticism of anyone of limited technical expertise who decides the process is just too risky for them. That said, the whole process is really quite simple in execution. There are indeed several variables one must consider when upgrading and a handful of different actual paths one may take depending on one's preferred outcome, but once one has properly assessed one's situation and chosen an appropriate upgrade method, the actual process is really quite straightforward. In addition, while any process, and in particular any upgrade process can go awry, the number of ways a TiVo upgrade can fail are comparatively limited, and recovery from a failure in all but the most unusual cases is similarly straightforward. If one reads the first post in this FAQ carefully, posts any questions here to clarify anything which is unclear to the reader, understands fully all the prerequisites, and sticks to the process closely, then one is all but assured of success.

I strongly suggest anyone of any level of technical expertise choose an upgrade path which includes a reliable and handy backup strategy. Indeed, my best suggestion is to remove and copy the primary drive to whatever primary medium is being used for the upgrade, then set aside the original drive for backup and safekeeping. Then if one manages to trash the other drive(s), or eventually suffers a drive failure, one can be back online in a matter of a few minutes.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote