TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #3421
cuppingmaster

Lol

I kinda thought so, but just checking. Thanks for the clarification!

On a related note, has anyone tried this one

Seagate 1.5 TB Serial ATA/300, ST315005N1A1AS-RK

On sale at Fry's right now.
cuppingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #3422
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

Seagate 1.5 TB Serial ATA/300, ST315005N1A1AS-RK

On sale at Fry's right now.
Remember, the TivoHD can only use a maximum of 1.26GB.

The linked drive will work to give you 1.26TB usable on a TivoHD, but I think you'd be better off with the Seagate ST31500541AS or the Western Digital WD15EVDS. Both produce noticeably less noise.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #3423
kingmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
157 HD hours capacity now, and it preserved all my recordings and settings from the original stock drive.
Were you also able to preserve the recordings that were split between the stock drive and the Expander?

My Expander also seems to be failing, so I'm about to do this upgrade myself. Reading the forums here and at mfslive.org, it seems that using the MFSLive Boot CD is required to copy the internal drive and Expander to a new internal drive, if it can be done at all.

I'd be very glad to hear that it's possible using WinMFS, and that it can be done using Fusion, since that's my plan, as well.
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #3424
fidget13a

Help Again...... I am trying to copy to a 1TB using and external drive ..sata to usb. I copied the original drive and shut down and started back up. I picked run as administrator and then file. What drive do I check,. It shows the original drive up top and then a drive "B" at the bottom. But that drive above it says if you want to add a second drive or have two drives in the TIVO. Over to the right there is a little box where you can check show drive or something. I did not see anything that said select the new replacement SATA drive.

When it was done, it did not ask me if I wanted to supersize it. But I did go to tools and clicked on supersize it.

Thanks

Guess I need to look back through this thread. I took a chance and clicked that box. It said done so I put it in my TIVO. It booted up but only shows the 21 hours of HD and not the 157.????

Last edited by fidget13a : 08-16-2009 at 01:57 PM.
fidget13a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #3425
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget13a View Post
Help Again...... I am trying to copy to a 1TB using and external drive ..sata to usb. I copied the original drive and shut down and started back up. I picked run as administrator and then file. What drive do I check,. It shows the original drive up top and then a drive "B" at the bottom. But that drive above it says if you want to add a second drive or have two drives in the TIVO. Over to the right there is a little box where you can check show drive or something. I did not see anything that said select the new replacement SATA drive.

When it was done, it did not ask me if I wanted to supersize it. But I did go to tools and clicked on supersize it. That is just before the supersize step.

Thanks

Guess I need to look back through this thread. I took a chance and clicked that box. It said done so I put it in my TIVO. It booted up but only shows the 21 hours of HD and not the 157.????
After mfscopy, you should have been asked if you wish to expand the drive, where you then click yes.I think this is Step 15. It is just before you would do a supersize.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #3426
fidget13a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
After mfscopy, you should have been asked if you wish to expand the drive, where you then click yes.I think this is Step 15. It is just before you would do a supersize.
Thanks

For some reason it did not ask me that. It was working in the TIVO but only said 21 hd hours and then it just powered up again on it's own. It got stuck in the powering up screen and then grey screen.
I tried the program again on a different computer.It froze the first attempt but worked the second time. This time it did ask me if I wanted to expand. When I put it in the TIVO, the first attempt to boot up it went to powering up to the grey screeen. I figured I would try again and it WORKED! :-)157 hours

Now I have to unplug it and actually screw everything in like it should be. That is now two TIVO's down and one more to go when my other hard drive arrives.

THANKS everyone for your help. I do like this program better than instantcake since I do not need to get the cable card re-hit again.

oh oh...as I was typing this teh TIVO screen froze. :-(
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #3427
fidget13a

I hit the live TV button on the remote and the TIVO is working :-)

It is having some kind of problem still. There is some hesitation or stuttering . It does not pixillate but it is briefly hesitating. It did freeze one more time also.any suggestions??/thanks

Should I run guided setup again?

Last edited by fidget13a : 08-16-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #3428
bkdtv

Quote:
I hit the live TV button on the remote and the TIVO is working :-)

It is having some kind of problem still. There is some hesitation or stuttering . It does not pixillate but it is briefly hesitating. It did freeze one more time also.any suggestions??/thanks

Should I run guided setup again?
If you performed a truncated backup and restore, the TiVo will have to reindex the guide data. The TiVo does this in the background, so it will slow responsiveness for 48-72 hours. After that, your TiVo should be back to normal.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #3429
fidget13a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
If you performed a truncated backup and restore, the TiVo will have to reindex the guide data. The TiVo does this in the background, so it will slow responsiveness for 48-72 hours. After that, your TiVo should be back to normal.
Thanks..................that makes me feel a lot better. :-)
Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #3430
fidget13a

Me again :-(
The TV kept stuttering and freezing so I turned the TV off and went in the other room to watch TV. When I cam back in and turned on the TV, the TV started to power up again. It quickly went to a gray or black screen and did not go any further. I tried to unplug and restart 3 or 4 more times and the powering up screen comes on for a few seconds and then it goes to the grey or black screen. Guess I may not be fixed yet. Any suggestions???
Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 AM   #3431
richsadams

Quote:
Me again :-(
The TV kept stuttering and freezing so I turned the TV off and went in the other room to watch TV. When I cam back in and turned on the TV, the TV started to power up again. It quickly went to a gray or black screen and did not go any further. I tried to unplug and restart 3 or 4 more times and the powering up screen comes on for a few seconds and then it goes to the grey or black screen. Guess I may not be fixed yet. Any suggestions???
I had the same experience once. It sounds like some data corruption during your upgrade process. Best bet would be to start from scratch...re-image the drive and be sure to follow all of the steps correctly. You won't need to do anything to the new drive to start again, winMFS will overwrite everything. It's kind of a PIA, but it'll be worth the peace of mind even if it does start acting normally.

Since you initially had problems with your drive using IC, it's also quite possible that your new drive has some bad sectors or other problems. If re-imaging doesn't work you might want to run a diagnostic on it such as WD's Lifeguard. Note that it might pass the "quick test" so you should run the extended test (read/write/read) which takes about 12 hours IIRC. If it fails you can process the exchange on your own by going to the Western Digital Product Replacement site OR you can call Western Digital Customer Support at 1-800-ASK-WDC (275-4932) to have an agent process the exchange.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #3432
Dssturbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

Seagate 1.5 TB Serial ATA/300, ST315005N1A1AS-RK On sale at Fry's right now.
yes, I used that Seagate 1.5Tb hard drive model in my Tivo S3. with the limits it only uses 1.35Tb in the S3 but that's cool and it works fine, no noise and gives me 213 HD hours.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #3433
fidget13a

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I had the same experience once. It sounds like some data corruption during your upgrade process. Best bet would be to start from scratch...re-image the drive and be sure to follow all of the steps correctly. You won't need to do anything to the new drive to start again, winMFS will overwrite everything. It's kind of a PIA, but it'll be worth the peace of mind even if it does start acting normally.

Since you initially had problems with your drive using IC, it's also quite possible that your new drive has some bad sectors or other problems. If re-imaging doesn't work you might want to run a diagnostic on it such as WD's Lifeguard. Note that it might pass the "quick test" so you should run the extended test (read/write/read) which takes about 12 hours IIRC. If it fails you can process the exchange on your own by going to the Western Digital Product Replacement site OR you can call Western Digital Customer Support at 1-800-ASK-WDC (275-4932) to have an agent process the exchange.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.
I just tried to run the extended test in WD and I guess I received a bad harddrive from Dell. It was only 18 minutes in to the test and it stopped running and gave teh message of too many back sectors.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #3434
richsadams

Quote:
I just tried to run the extended test in WD and I guess I received a bad harddrive from Dell. It was only 18 minutes in to the test and it stopped running and gave teh message of too many back sectors.
Sorry to hear that...but kind of what I suspected. Dell (at least in my previous experience) is very good about replacing things so you might want to start with them. Otherwise WD should be able to handle it...they also get high marks for warranty service from others here.

At least when you get a new drive you should be able to find some joy. Might be a good idea to run the diagnostics on the replacement drive before you do anything else though.

Keep us posted.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #3435
fidget13a

Quote:
Sorry to hear that...but kind of what I suspected. Dell (at least in my previous experience) is very good about replacing things so you might want to start with them. Otherwise WD should be able to handle it...they also get high marks for warranty service from others here.

At least when you get a new drive you should be able to find some joy. Might be a good idea to run the diagnostics on the replacement drive before you do anything else though.

Keep us posted.
I didn't think about calling Dell until after I called WD for an RMA. WD is sending out a new drive. The only problem is I heard they may send out a refurbished drive. If so, I wish I called Dell instead.

And now I know it was not me screwing up and it was the drive instead.

I tried to call Dell and have been bounced back and forth between departments. Everyone says they can not handle it in their department. Last person said.....Can you go online and try to get help from online? I was afraid WD may send a refub and figured Dell would send a new one. I figured I would cancel the WD if Dell took care of the problem but it looks like I will need to stick with WD. At least WD is taking care of it without a problem. :-)

Last edited by fidget13a : 08-17-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #3436
Kyrian
Glen Lantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmob View Post
Were you also able to preserve the recordings that were split between the stock drive and the Expander?

My Expander also seems to be failing, so I'm about to do this upgrade myself. Reading the forums here and at mfslive.org, it seems that using the MFSLive Boot CD is required to copy the internal drive and Expander to a new internal drive, if it can be done at all.

I'd be very glad to hear that it's possible using WinMFS, and that it can be done using Fusion, since that's my plan, as well.
Sorry if that wasn't clear. I didn't try salvaging my recordings from the Expander. There wasn't anything on the Expander I couldn't really live without, so I didn't want to add that complication to my first time attempting the HD upgrade.) The recordings I was able to keep were the ones recorded to the original HD before I added the Expander about 18 months ago.
Kyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #3437
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmob View Post

Successfully combining drives depends on how they were "married". See my post here including a link to Spike's MFSLive forum responses on the subject.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #3438
jmanca

I added the certified 1TB WD drive to our TiVo HD and now everything is super slow - the menus basically freeze and the commands get backed up..... uggh. Suggestions?
jmanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #3439
innocentfreak

How did you do the drive? Did you use Instantcake or did you copy from your original drive? If you used Instantcake it will have to redownload and index all the guide data again as if you were opening the Tivo for the first time. I would give it 48 hours and see if that fixes the issue.

If you copied everything from your original drive I don't believe you should see any slowdown but I may be wrong since I have yet to upgrade my drives on the series 3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #3440
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanca View Post
I added the certified 1TB WD drive to our TiVo HD and now everything is super slow - the menus basically freeze and the commands get backed up..... uggh. Suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
How did you do the drive? Did you use Instantcake or did you copy from your original drive?
He didn't do the internal drive, he added the Expander.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #3441
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanca View Post
Power off your TiVo and then double-check your connections -- make sure the cable is inserted firmly as possible on both the TiVo and the My DVR Expander.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #3442
kingmob

Quote:
Successfully combining drives depends on how they were "married". See my post here including a link to Spike's MFSLive forum responses on the subject.
Thanks, Rich.

I've been through a number of the threads here and at mfslive.org researching the issue, and understand Spike's statements are pretty much conclusive. But there are posts like the one I responded to in which someone isn't completely clear about what they did, but it seems like they might have gotten an original internal drive + Expander to new drive transfer to work, so I keep asking for clarification, just in case.
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #3443
fidget13a

Good morning again,
I figured I would ask ths before my replacement drive arrives. It says:

Drives marketed for DVRs come preconfigured with firmware settings to minimize noise. Most other drives, including the Western Digital WD10EADS and WD10EACS, come configured for best desktop performance, not the lowest possible noise.

Do I adjust the AAM settings on the WD10EADS before or after I install the TIVO program on it?

Thanks again
Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #3444
bkdtv

Quote:
Do I adjust the AAM settings on the WD10EADS before or after I install the TIVO program on it?
It shouldn't matter. If you want to be safe, do it first.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #3445
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
It shouldn't matter. If you want to be safe, do it first.
Yup and I did mine after without an issue. I did use HDDSCAN, however, as the Hitachi tools did not like my newer ICH10R SATA controller. HDDSCAN is a Windows app and it found the drive. It does not install anything, you just click the .EXE.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:42 AM   #3446
siratfus

My 4 months old tivo HDXL is stuck in the "powering up" screen. I'm planning on doing an upgrade to a 2tb hard drive. I want to save all settings and recordings. I would like to know is it a requirement to follow those exact instructions from page 1 of this thread that involves downloading winMFS? Or is page 1 simply offering 1 of many methods? Because the way that I know how to clone a hard drive involves a software called called Apricorn EZ gig II.

If anybody can give some advice. Thank you!
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #3447
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
My 4 months old tivo HDXL is stuck in the "powering up" screen. I'm planning on doing an upgrade to a 2tb hard drive. I want to save all settings and recordings. I would like to know is it a requirement to follow those exact instructions from page 1 of this thread that involves downloading winMFS? Or is page 1 simply offering 1 of many methods? Because the way that I know how to clone a hard drive involves a software called called Apricorn EZ gig II
You need to follow the instructions in the first post. WinMFS and MFSLive are your options. Other cloning methods do not work.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #3448
Sebjar

Acomdata 1TB Drive with esata cable

Hi there,

I'm new to the group but wanted to find out if an Acomdata 1TB drive works with a TIVO Series 3 unit?

I read that the Acomdata drives do work with DVR's but I can't seem to get mine working with our TIVO. It keeps telling me there aren't any external devices connected.

So I was wondering if the drive had to be formatted a certain way or these drives just don't connect to TIVO with the esata cable.

Any advice or help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Seb
Sebjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #3449
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
My 4 months old tivo HDXL is stuck in the "powering up" screen. I'm planning on doing an upgrade to a 2tb hard drive. I want to save all settings and recordings. I would like to know is it a requirement to follow those exact instructions from page 1 of this thread that involves downloading winMFS? Or is page 1 simply offering 1 of many methods? Because the way that I know how to clone a hard drive involves a software called called Apricorn EZ gig II.

If anybody can give some advice (and is responsible for the awesome FAQ). Thank you!
bkdtv offers sound advice. Follow the instructions exactly and you should be fine.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #3450
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebjar View Post
Hi there,

I'm new to the group but wanted to find out if an Acomdata 1TB drive works with a TIVO Series 3 unit?

I read that the Acomdata drives do work with DVR's but I can't seem to get mine working with our TIVO. It keeps telling me there aren't any external devices connected.

So I was wondering if the drive had to be formatted a certain way or these drives just don't connect to TIVO with the esata cable.

Any advice or help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Seb
Welcome to the forum. AFAIK the drive you're trying to use in an unknown. There are a few other drives that do not work, hence the recommended drive list in the first post of this sticky. You do not need to (and should not) format an eSATA drive to use w/TiVo.

First, do you actually have a TiVo Series3 (http://i37.tinypic.com/4lhmiq.jpg)? Or is it a TiVo HD (http://i43.tinypic.com/2nqy554.jpg)? The TiVo Series3 is capable of utilizing an "unapproved" eSATA drive via plug and play (providing the internal drive has not been upgraded and again, some eSATA drives do not work). The TiVo HD can only utilize the approved WD My DVR Expander (www.tivo.com/expand) via plug and play.

That said there are a number of things that can go wrong when adding an eSATA drive. The eSATA hard drive itself may not be working, the enclosure may have problems (chipset, bridge, etc.) or the eSATA cable may not be working (usually due to faulty/short connectors). Or it may just not be compatible due to the hardware and/or firmware configuration.

Have another read through the first post on this sticky thread and see if you're doing everything right. Bottom line is that if you are, that drive just may not work. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by richsadams : 08-20-2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Add URL links for first poster.