TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #3391
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Well, no such luck...now I have 157Hours of HD space with my WD10EADS!

3. Anyway, I could not find the option in WinMFS to expand MY time so I could actually watch the shows I record!
Congrats on the upgrade...and apparently your ability to see again!

With regard to #3...it's easy to miss. It's the second option under the "Fantasy Formatting" drop down menu, right after "Create Free TiVo Subscription - Y/N".

Thanks for the tool time tip. I'll have to find that Harbor Freight place.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #3392
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I have a stock TivoHD.

Bummer that I can't just hook up an external! Is there a different thread I should be in for upgrade instructions?

Thanks for your help,
Robin

ETA: I don't have a computer w/ SATA, so where does that leave me w/r/t upgrade options? Just the WD My DVR expander?
I feel like a loser bumping my post, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Anyone? Bueller?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #3393
moxie1617

The upgrade instructions are in the 1st post. Even how to do it with no SATA connections in your PC.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #3394
Airhead315

Quote:
I feel like a loser bumping my post, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Anyone? Bueller?
My advice would be to go to Best Buy and "Rent" a SATA hard drive enclosure...Dont go until you are ready as thier "Rental" policy states you must return the item within 30 days to get your "Deposit" back.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #3395
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
The upgrade instructions are in the 1st post. Even how to do it with no SATA connections in your PC.
Can you tell me where? The only options I'm seeing for a TiVo HD are the my DVR expander, or pulling the original drive and 'marrying' it to the new one.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #3396
bkdtv

Quote:
Can you tell me where? The only options I'm seeing for a TiVo HD are the my DVR expander, or pulling the original drive and 'marrying' it to the new one.
Only the My DVR Expander works with the "plug and play" external drive expansion on the TivoHD. You cannot use a USB drive with the TivoHD.

If you want to use a different eSATA drive with the TivoHD, you must always pull the internal drive and marry it with a computer. If you don't have available SATA ports, you can marry the drive on your computer using USB->SATA adapters. The process is the same, except the drives are connected to your computer with USB->SATA (or USB->eSATA) adapters instead of SATA. Once done, you connect them with SATA/eSATA to the TiVo.

If you are going to open the TiVo, I think you might as well upgrade the internal with a 1TB drive ($80-$100). As above, you would connect the drive to your computer with a USB->SATA adapter ($10-$20) to perform the upgrade.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #3397
kingmob

The FAQ says that the WD10EADS will work on "the newer TivoHD model." Does "newer" in that case mean "as compared to the S3" or "as compared to older versions of the TivoHD"? I originally read it as the latter, but the former makes more sense. Obviously, I'd like to install it in a TivoHD, but if it's likely to have problems, then I'll look at a different drive.

Also, are the DOA reports at Newegg limited to WD10EADSes coming from Newegg, or is the issue more widespread?
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #3398
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmob View Post
The FAQ says that the WD10EADS will work on "the newer TivoHD model." Does "newer" in that case mean "as compared to the S3" or "as compared to older versions of the TivoHD"? I originally read it as the latter, but the former makes more sense. Obviously, I'd like to install it in a TivoHD, but if it's likely to have problems, then I'll look at a different drive.
It means "as compared to the Series3." TiVo continued to sell the Series3 for about a year after the TivoHD was released, so many don't realize that it predated the TivoHD by about 15 months.

TiVo has not updated the hardware on the TivoHD (aside from the larger drive in the TivoHD XL) since it was released in July, 2007. They updated the firmware a few times, but that doesn't have any affect on upgrades.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #3399
kingmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
It means "as compared to the Series3." TiVo continued to sell the Series3 for about a year after the TivoHD was released, so many don't realize that it predated the TivoHD by about 15 months.

TiVo has not updated the hardware on the TivoHD (aside from the larger drive in the TivoHD XL) since it was released in July, 2007. They updated the firmware a few times, but that doesn't have any affect on upgrades.
Thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and got it.

For anyone interested in the drive, ZipZoomFly has it right now for $94.99. There's a $15 mail in rebate, and they offer 20% cash back if you go through Bing. So, that takes it down to $61 before tax (if applicable in your state).
kingmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #3400
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmob View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and got it.

For anyone interested in the drive, ZipZoomFly has it right now for $94.99. There's a $15 mail in rebate, and they offer 20% cash back if you go through Bing. So, that takes it down to $61 before tax (if applicable in your state).
Yes, I had posted that same deal, but I did not try to add the couipon code of ZZF-8810 to this new deal...it may save you even more. I got mine (and installed it yesterday) before the BING 20% cash back so I paid $67...still a great deal and all went well with the upgrade!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #3401
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

With regard to #3...it's easy to miss. It's the second option under the "Fantasy Formatting" drop down menu, right after "Create Free TiVo Subscription - Y/N".

Must be my bad eyes as I just can not find those options. Perhaps I used a downlevel WinMFS.

Rich, just go to Harbor Freight on the web and put your ZIP in. There are several around here and we went to the one in Cedar Mill.

P.S. I am glad this all works as I get my eyes broken again next Wednesday.

OH, on a serious note...

Since I have 3 THD's and only intend to upgrade the one I did yesterday to 157 hours, I wonder why it is not suggested that you remove the HDD from the THD even if you are not going to upgrade, and even leave it on its cradle and perform a backup before the HDD goes bad. If this is done, you can buy a new HDD and loose only some shows, but you save yourself from having to deal with cable cards again if you did not have a backup image to restore to a new drive!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #3402
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I bought this specific drive at Amazon. The drive itself was packaged in an OEM brown box. No problem there. Unfortunately, this OEM box was placed in a much larger shipping container along with an air pillow, when it really needed about ten more air pillows to keep the inner box from bouncing around in the shipping box.

I seem to recall another poster that received the drive in the OEM box with a shipping label slapped on it. I'm not sure which method is worse...

Amazon has great customer service, so you should be able to easily sort out any problems you may run into (shipping damage, etc.).

Let us know how it goes.
Received the drive today. Came in a small brown box with some sealed air packets to secure it. They could have done a bit better job on that as the drive was a bit loose in the box. The drive itself was sealed in the anti-static bag. The shipping address on the packing slip showed Amazon .com Return Center, Lexington Kentucky. That concerned me a bit, but the drive actually came from City of Industry, CA per FedEx tracking.

Anyway, installed the drive and everything seems to be running fine.

Thanks to bkdtv for the perfect instructions and to spike for the WinMFS software, the whole procedure went smooth as silk.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #3403
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
If you don't have available SATA ports, you can marry the drive on your computer using USB->SATA adapters.
Ahhh, that's the missing piece of the puzzle. I didn't know such a beast existed. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #3404
drhankz

Quote:
Ahhh, that's the missing piece of the puzzle. I didn't know such a beast existed. Thanks!
There were referred to in STEP 11 of the 1st Post.

Probably in some other steps as well.

I used them to do my upgrade because all my SATA ports are in
use on my desktop PC. They are SLOW - but they work fine.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #3405
fidget13a

Good morning,
I tried instantcake on my !B WD10EADS drive but did not have success. Can I now try to use the WinMFS program? If so, do I need to do anything to the drive first since I already tried the instantcake program?

thanks
fidget13a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #3406
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
There were referred to in STEP 11 of the 1st Post.

Probably in some other steps as well.

I used them to do my upgrade because all my SATA ports are in
use on my desktop PC. They are SLOW - but they work fine.
Thank you! I missed that. Multiple times, apparently.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #3407
drhankz

Quote:
Thank you! I missed that. Multiple times, apparently.
There is a lot there. I had to PRINT out the instructions
and Yellow Highlight everything that applied to my project
and equipment.

It is easy to miss.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #3408
Kyrian
Glen Lantz

Upgraded stock Tivo HD drive with WD10EADS on Mac running VMWare Fusion

I upgraded my stock Tivo HD drive last weekend after my MY DVR EXPANDER seemed to be failing (with constant lockups and rebooting while watching certain recorded programs). I opted for the WD10EADS 1TB drive as my replacement and followed the instructions provided in the Drive Expansion sticky. I was a little reluctant to do the upgrade myself, since I've never done a hard drive swap before, and I couldn't really find any instructions pertaining to Mac users upgrading their drives with WinMFS and a PC emulator (such as VMWare Fusion). This was my experience, which I hope is helpful to someone out there:

I first tried using a my wife's PC laptop to image the drives, but because she didn't have administrative privileges on the machine (it's her work device), WinMFS didn't show the stock and replacement drives while they were connected with SATA-USB adapters. I then decided to try WinMFS on my Mac using WMWare Fusion. Luckily for me the drives were both recognized by Windows XP and within WinMFS, so I followed the instructions and began to image the new drive. It took 9 or 10 hours to complete imaging the new drive (from the 160GB stock drive), but once it finished, I closed out WinMFS and disconnected the drives. After installing the new drive, my Tivo got stuck in a reboot loop. I tried a Kickstart 57, but that exacerbated things and ended in the GSOD.

I decided to reimage the new drive overnight a second time, but this time after the imaging was complete I made sure I shut down VMWare Fusion before disconnecting the hard drives. I'm not sure if that made the difference or not, or if my first failed attempt to image the new drive was a fluke, but once I reconnected the new drive to my Tivo, everything was up and running perfectly-----157 HD hours capacity now, and it preserved all my recordings and settings from the original stock drive.

Moral of the story for Mac users looking to upgrade their Tivo drives with WinMFS using a PC emulator such as VMWare Fusion------Follow the FAQ instructions exactly, and especially make sure you shut down your PC emulator (whether VMWare Fusion, Boot Camp, etc.) completely before disconnecting your drives (whether from SATA connections or USB-SATA cables).

I wish I would have realized that the first time around, as I probably could have saved myself some time. Special thanks to the authors of WinMFS and the Drive Upgrade sticky. I couldn't have done it without you!
Kyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #3409
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
I upgraded my stock Tivo HD drive last weekend after my MY DVR EXPANDER seemed to be failing (with constant lockups and rebooting while watching certain recorded programs). I opted for the WD10EADS 1TB drive as my replacement and followed the instructions provided in the Drive Expansion sticky. I was a little reluctant to do the upgrade myself, since I've never done a hard drive swap before, and I couldn't really find any instructions pertaining to Mac users upgrading their drives with WinMFS and a PC emulator (such as VMWare Fusion). This was my experience, which I hope is helpful to someone out there: <snip>
That's excellent information! Although I used to build computers I ran screaming from Windows machines a while ago and have never looked back. I couldn't be happier with my Mac's but I've kept one of my PC's just for TiVo upgrades (plus it was my "ultimate" custom-built machine and I just can't part with it ).

In any case I run VMWare Fusion on my MacBook to test some work with server and design programs in a Windows enviroment and always wondered if it would handle a TiVo upgrade. You've answered my question! (But I still don't think I can part with my precious )

Again, good info and thanks very much for posting.

bkdtv: I think it might be worthwhile to insert a little blurb using Kyrian's notes in the FAQ for those Mac users that follow. What do you think?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #3410
richsadams

Quote:
Since I have 3 THD's and only intend to upgrade the one I did yesterday to 157 hours, I wonder why it is not suggested that you remove the HDD from the THD even if you are not going to upgrade, and even leave it on its cradle and perform a backup before the HDD goes bad. If this is done, you can buy a new HDD and loose only some shows, but you save yourself from having to deal with cable cards again if you did not have a backup image to restore to a new drive!
That's not a bad idea...would certainly save some hassles down the road if a drive does fail. I don't think most "normal" folks would be up for it though. We enthusiasts are a little twisted when it comes to such things (or so I'm told).
Old 08-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #3411
fidget13a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget13a View Post
Good morning,
I tried instantcake on my !B WD10EADS drive but did not have success. Can I now try to use the WinMFS program? If so, do I need to do anything to the drive first since I already tried the instantcake program?

thanks
Sorry but I figured I would ask this again. I would like to try the WinMFS program and hope for more luck with the harddrive. I do not know if I have to reformat or anything before I try to load it on this drive after already tried to put instant cake on it. Thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #3412
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget13a View Post
Sorry but I figured I would ask this again. I would like to try the WinMFS program and hope for more luck with the harddrive. I do not know if I have to reformat or anything before I try to load it on this drive after already tried to put instant cake on it. Thanks
You can format the new drive (don't format the original Tivo drive!), but that shouldn't be necessary. WinMFS should be able to overwrite the old partition.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #3413
fidget13a

Quote:
You can format the new drive (don't format the original Tivo drive!), but that shouldn't be necessary. WinMFS should be able to overwrite the old partition.
Thanks....I will give it a try a little later :-)
Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #3414
MPSAN

Quote:
That's not a bad idea...would certainly save some hassles down the road if a drive does fail. I don't think most "normal" folks would be up for it though. We enthusiasts are a little twisted when it comes to such things (or so I'm told).
Well, I think I will do that. The advantage is that we do not have to remove the original drive from the cradle and will not void the warranty. It sure could save us from a lot of trouble in the future especially for non-uprgaded TiVo's. Why? Because for upgraded TiVo's we always have the original to put back in to see if that was the problem.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #3415
richsadams

Quote:
The advantage is that we do not have to remove the original drive from the cradle and will not void the warranty.
Well...sort of. If you open TiVo at all, for any reason, it technically voids the warranty. But as long as you don't leave any bread crumbs behind, it's not likely anyone would know.

Good idea though...glad you thought of it.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #3416
MPSAN

Quote:
Well...sort of. If you open TiVo at all, for any reason, it technically voids the warranty. But as long as you don't leave any bread crumbs behind, it's not likely anyone would know.

Good idea though...glad you thought of it.
It is amazing what I can do when I can see!
I guess the key is to do the backup before there is a problem...kind of like the TrueImage Backups I do on our Windows systems!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #3417
cuppingmaster

Quote:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but...

Increase MY time? Fantasy Formatting? What are those things and what do they allow you to do?
cuppingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #3418
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but...

Increase MY time? Fantasy Formatting? What are those things and what do they allow you to do?
Sorry...notice the faces...it was a joke. I said I now did the upgrade and had 157 hours but how do I expand the free time in my life to ever watch that much...just a joke that's all and Rich tried to "play along" by suggesting that there were options in WinMFS that I missed!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #3419
richsadams

Quote:
Sorry...notice the faces...it was a joke. I said I now did the upgrade and had 157 hours but how do I expand the free time in my life to ever watch that much...just a joke that's all and Rich tried to "play along" by suggesting that there were options in WinMFS that I missed!
Nope...dead serious. I'm sure, really sure you missed those menus.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #3420
MPSAN

Quote:
Nope...dead serious. I'm sure, really sure you missed those menus.
...but my eyes!!!