TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #3331
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
The reason I did this upgrade in the first place was because it stopped working - got caught in the Powering Up reboot cycle. So I assumed it was a bad harddrive, so I upgraded to the new one, which initially worked perfectly, until Tivo did its software update and then rebooted the system.
OK, sorry I did not see that.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #3332
innocentfreak

Has anyone seen any updates on the 1.5tb WD AV drives, WD15EVDS, yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #3333
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

First, may I just say: WOW. This guide is a masterpiece, should be printed, bound, and sold at Borders. Wow.

Now I have one quick question about upgrading with an external drive only. The guide says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
[*] Add an unsupported 1.0 TB external drive (165 HD hours total)

Pros: Cost effective at $110-$130 for external 1.0 TB. Preserves all settings and recordings.

Cons: Takes 35-45 minutes. Requires you to open the box and void the TiVo warranty. Introduces potential second source of failure, since all recordings are split across both drives; if either drive goes bad, you lose all recordings made since the drive was added. Adds another device to your TV room. No technical support is available for TiVos using external drives other than the My DVR Expander.

See Section IV for more information.
*snip*
Quote:
[*]How do I add an eSATA drive to an unmodified Series3?

1. Disconnect power to the TiVo.

2. Connect the eSATA drive to your TiVo with the eSATA cable. Confirm that the eSATA cable is firmly inserted on both the TiVo and your eSATA drive.

3. Connect the power to your eSATA drive. Then reconnect power to your TiVo.

4. Enable the eSATA drive through the Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, and Devices -> External Storage menu. Screenshots: #1, #2, #3.

These instructions also apply when adding Western Digital's My DVR Expander to an unmodified TivoHD.
The first quote says this method requires you to open the box, but I don't see anything about opening the box in the actual instructions. The warranty's not a problem (mine's a refurb and is out of warranty anyway) and I don't mind opening the box if necessary (I upgraded my s1 and dtivo) but I feel like I'm not understanding the instructions. It sounds like it should just be "buy drive enclosure and drive, plug in, put in remote code".

What am I missing?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #3334
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It sounds like it should just be "buy drive enclosure and drive, plug in, put in remote code".

What am I missing?
That depends on a couple things. Do you have an original S3 or a TivoHD? Have you already upgraded the internal drive? BTW, the remote code was obsoleted awhile ago.

If you have an original S3 running the original internal drive, you can just add pretty much any external drive. Just plug it in. You enable it through the menus now (no longer with a KickStart remote code).

If you have a TivoHD (regardless if original drive or modified internal drive) or an original S3 (only required if it is has a modified internal drive), then you must remove the internal drive and connect it and your new external to a PC to "marry" them using WinMFS.

Does that answer your question?
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #3335
bkdtv

I updated the FAQ, "How do I reduce the seek noise on my new hard drive?" as suggested to include instructions for HDDScan.exe.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #3336
Airhead315

Thanks for this FAQ. Just upgraded my TivoHD with a WD10EADS.

I ran into one issue but it was my color-blind eyes that were at fault. I turned the Tivo on and only the green light was on and my TV said No input, then after a minute or two it said not supported mode. I looked up what it means when just the green light is on and people were reporting it as a classic sign of a catasrophic HD failure. It turns out that the component inputs on the Tivo HD are in the reverse order as all of my other components. All of my others are Y,Pb,Pr but the tivo is Pr,Pb,Y and since im color blind I screwed up the order(green and red are very close in color for me). lol
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #3337
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
Thanks for this FAQ. Just upgraded my TivoHD with a WD10EADS.

I ran into one issue but it was my color-blind eyes that were at fault. I turned the Tivo on and only the green light was on and my TV said No input, then after a minute or two it said not supported mode. I looked up what it means when just the green light is on and people were reporting it as a classic sign of a catasrophic HD failure. It turns out that the component inputs on the Tivo HD are in the reverse order as all of my other components. All of my others are Y,Pb,Pr but the tivo is Pr,Pb,Y and since im color blind I screwed up the order(green and red are very close in color for me). lol
Glad it worked. My WD10EADS will be here from ZZF on Tuesday! Did you copy shows or did you do the 1 drive at a time upgrade? Did you set the AAM to 128?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #3338
Airhead315

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Glad it worked. My WD10EADS will be here from ZZF on Tuesday! Did you copy shows or did you do the 1 drive at a time upgrade? Did you set the AAM to 128?
I copied all of the shows and did the AAM setting. Everything was very easy. I ran into difficulty due to my hardware however, I have 6 sata ports on my motherboard but when I went plug everything in I realized that my power supply only has 2 sata power plugs. Unfortunately my primary hard drive that runs windows also needs a sata power plug. To do the transfer of all of my shows I had to goto bestbuy and purchase (Rent...) a Hard Drive enclosure (USB) so I could hook everything up at once.

The easiest part was the AAM setting. It also looks like now that the process was simplified about 2 hours after I did it. The FAQ changed to use a windows utility to do it. I used a boot CD.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #3339
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
I copied all of the shows and did the AAM setting. Everything was very easy. I ran into difficulty due to my hardware however, I have 6 sata ports on my motherboard but when I went plug everything in I realized that my power supply only has 2 sata power plugs. Unfortunately my primary hard drive that runs windows also needs a sata power plug. To do the transfer of all of my shows I had to goto bestbuy and purchase (Rent...) a Hard Drive enclosure (USB) so I could hook everything up at once.

The easiest part was the AAM setting. It also looks like now that the process was simplified about 2 hours after I did it. The FAQ changed to use a windows utility to do it. I used a boot CD.
Yeah, I have both AAM utils. I think I will do AAM last. Might as well take advantage of fast seeks during the copy. However, with sequential seeks as in a copy it would probably not matter.

I too have a new system I built for my wife, and she has 8 SATA ports (ASUS P5QPRO) and have the PS that will power it, but I believe I did a careful lacing to get the extra plugs out of the way. But I may be OK. Will know Tuesday...or Wednesday as I am having my eyes checked Tuesday and will not be able to see for a while.

I know Rich will think that I should be able to do this blind by now!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 AM   #3340
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post
I'm down with doing this, I found appropriate Mac instructions and the WD drive I want is easy enough to come by. The trouble is, I'm worried that one of these auto downloaded SW updates will break my upgraded TiVo. Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of this?
'Exceedingly unlikely. The drive expansion is not a user space artifact, and any OS module which broke the partitioning of a multi-drive system would almost surely break TiVo's own systems.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #3341
lrhorer

2T Prices coming down

The prices for 2T drives are starting to get reasonable. Newegg has this 2T drive on for $199 until Sept 1. At $99.50 per Terabyte, it not quite as inexpensive as this 1.5T drive, which comes in at $76.66 per Terabyte, but 6T of storage using this drive will only cost $137 more than using 4 of the 1.5T drives. Given the cost of power and space in a PC or RAID system, that's not too bad.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #3342
richsadams

Quote:
I know Rich will think that I should be able to do this blind by now!
Depends on how you got that way...wine or tequila?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #3343
VinceA

Did my upgrade Friday night. Picked up a WD10EVVS for about $100. Used WinMFS to do the copy but didn't know about the Windows version of the AAM util so I used the MFSLive version. The only 'issue' I had was that my screwdriver had a little trouble reaching one screw but I dealt with it. Started the process around 5PM and finished at about 8:30PM. We went out for dinner in the middle so it probably would have been quicker if I'd been home the whole time.
VinceA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #3344
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Depends on how you got that way...wine or tequila?
Just eyedrops!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #3345
MPSAN

OK, for those with MSLIVE Cash Back (BING now) ZZF has a 20% cashback deal NOW.

So, the WD10EADS would be $94.99 - $19 Cashback - $15 rebate or $60.99!!!

I just paid $67 and thought it was good!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #3346
richsadams

Quote:

Nice find!

Caveat: the WD10EADS only works as an internal hard drive upgrade for TiVo HD's. It does NOT work as an internal hard drive upgrade with Series3's due to a soft reboot issue.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #3347
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Nice find!

Caveat: the WD10EADS only works as an internal hard drive upgrade for TiVo HD's. It does NOT work as an internal hard drive upgrade with Series3's due to a soft reboot issue.
I could not believe the BING cash back of 20% or $19. You sign up free, of course, and I thought that $67 was good! For $61 it seems to not make sense to use an EVVS for the TiVo HD!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #3348
sweez

Quote:

thanks... just in time. planning to upgrade new tivo hd.
sweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #3349
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweez View Post
thanks... just in time. planning to upgrade new tivo hd.
No problem. Be SURE to get on BING and select ZZF and then Go To Store. In that way, whatever you buy gets the cashback! If you already have a BING account you already know this!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #3350
sweez

Quote:
No problem. Be SURE to get on BING and select ZZF and then Go To Store. In that way, whatever you buy gets the cashback! If you already have a BING account you already know this!
how soon does it show up in the bing account?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #3351
MPSAN

Quote:
how soon does it show up in the bing account?
Mine only took 9 minutes for me to get an email from BING, however, YMMV for sure. I see the pending in my BING account and am not sure when it was added. Did you get an email or didn't you order yet?

I got 2% cashback but today it is 20%!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #3352
sweez

Quote:
Mine only took 9 minutes for me to get an email from BING, however, YMMV for sure. I see the pending in my BING account and am not sure when it was added. Did you get an email or didn't you order yet?

I got 2% cashback but today it is 20%!!!
no email from bing, only zzf. the status on zzf says "processing" still. on bing, nothing under pending. i guess i'll wait and see. the bing faq says i can contact support in a day or two if nothing appears. thanks again!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #3353
MPSAN

Quote:
no email from bing, only zzf. the status on zzf says "processing" still. on bing, nothing under pending. i guess i'll wait and see. the bing faq says i can contact support in a day or two if nothing appears. thanks again!
OK, you should not have any issues as long as you went to BING first and went to the ZZF site from BING. I expect that with this new BING promo they are getting busy!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #3354
richsadams

Quote:
I could not believe the BING cash back of 20% or $19. You sign up free, of course, and I thought that $67 was good! For $61 it seems to not make sense to use an EVVS for the TiVo HD!
I actually bought a Macbook on ebay during a 20% "Live cash back" offer a while back. Imagine that. Bill Gates was giving me more than $100 for buying a Mac. You have to love it!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #3355
richsadams

Quote:
Sometimes it takes a while to show up...all dependent on the merchant's account activity/interaction. Once it's in the Cash Back account there is a waiting period before they pay it out though. IIRC I had to wait 60 days...but as mentioned above, it was worth it!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #3356
mumpower

I notice that there is absolutely no mention of Iomega external storage on the first page (which is truly exceptional work, by the way). Is this in and of itself an indictment? Amazon has the Iomega 34508 for $123.99, which is $45 less than the TiVo-supported Western Digital unit. I'm not a fan of paying 36% more if it's avoidable, but I presume this drive just doesn't work well as an eSata add-on. Is that correct?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #3357
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpower View Post
I notice that there is absolutely no mention of Iomega external storage on the first page (which is truly exceptional work, by the way). Is this in and of itself an indictment? Amazon has the Iomega 34508 for $123.99, which is $45 less than the TiVo-supported Western Digital unit. I'm not a fan of paying 36% more if it's avoidable, but I presume this drive just doesn't work well as an eSata add-on. Is that correct?
AFAIK no one has tried it...at least the newer 1TB version is all. Two things that might be of importance: it must have a hard on/off switch and the fact that the transfer rate is 1.5GB/sec rather than the standard 3.0GB/sec. may or may not have an impact. Also the specs indicate that it has an "Energy Star qualified adapter" for power. I've no idea what that means with regard to using it with TiVo but as long as it never spins or powers down it may work.

If you have a Series3 it may work via plug and play. Only the WD My DVR Expander will work via P&P with TiVo HD and HDXL's. Anything else has to be "married" to the internal drive (see the first post/FAQ for more).

An alternative is the Fantom 1TB GP drive which has proven itself (Section IV, #27 in the FAQ) and is on sale for $69.99 at MacMall AR at the moment. (Again, will work via P&P w/Series3's only). BTW the Fantom eSATA drives (which use a WD Green drive) are warranted for two years Vs the Iomega's one-year warranty.

But if you give the Iomega drive a try, let us know how it goes!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #3358
elkcum55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Do you have 'transfers' enabled in your Tivo Account, under DVR Preferences. If you just enabled it, have the Tivos make a connection.
Thanks for the answer. I was out of town for a few days and did not see it. I just checked the TIVO boxes and they both have transfer enabled checked. When I go to both TIVO's, they see the other TIVO by name but say the DVR has not recordings. Press LEFT to return to the Now Playhing list. They both have been connected to the router for about 2 weeks. One is listed on my account and the other is on my daughter's account. Does that make a difference? Thanks again
elkcum55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #3359
Airhead315

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcum55 View Post
Thanks for the answer. I was out of town for a few days and did not see it. I just checked the TIVO boxes and they both have transfer enabled checked. When I go to both TIVO's, they see the other TIVO by name but say the DVR has not recordings. Press LEFT to return to the Now Playhing list. They both have been connected to the router for about 2 weeks. One is listed on my account and the other is on my daughter's account. Does that make a difference? Thanks again
This is definitely your issue. Tivo uses a Media Access Key(MAK) to link tivos together. If the MAK's are not the same then they wont be able to share shows. You could call Tivo and see if you can transfer one of the boxes to the other account. Someone on here might have a different work around.

Without this security if you were to hook your tivo up to a colleges network anyone else with a Tivo on the colleges network would be able to view your shows(assuming your college isnt very good about setting up thier routing correctly).
Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #3360
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcum55 View Post
Yes, all Tivos must be on the same network, same Tivo account, have the same Media Access Key to be able to transfer.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote