TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #3301
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
Hey guys, the WD10EADS 1TB drive is on sale at newegg for $79.99 with free shipping! About a $10 savings off the current going rate for this drive.
That's a good price. Keep in mind that the WD10EADS cannot be used as an internal hard drive upgrade in the TiVo Series3 due to a soft reboot issue (reason for excluding it from the recommended drive list on the first post).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #3302
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Hey Rich, since all my TiVo's are OK, can I now break one of them?
Live dangerous I always say!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #3303
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Live dangerous I always say!
Well, $72.99 seems like a great price and the WD10EADS should be just fine for my TiVo HD's! Actually, it seems to make the EVVS not very cost effective! It is a $30 premium, and for what, in a THD?

Also, we fell below 100 degrees so I guess it may be time!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #3304
richsadams

Quote:
That makes it time for another <insert ice cold beverage of your choice>. But if you're going to be upgrading, it's probably wise to save that six-pack for later.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #3305
MPSAN

Quote:
That makes it time for another <insert ice cold beverage of your choice>. But if you're going to be upgrading, it's probably wise to save that six-pack for later.
You mean save it if the upgrade goes without a hitch! I may do this as it has to be worth $72.99 and, although I never have ordered from ZZF, the packaging for HDD's has to be better than Newegg!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #3306
richsadams

Quote:
You mean save it if the upgrade goes without a hitch! I may do this as it has to be worth $72.99 and, although I never have ordered from ZZF, the packaging for HDD's has to be better than Newegg!
Agreed...on both counts, although to be fair I've purchased a number of OEM HDD's from newegg and they all worked fine. I've had good luck with ZipZoom too.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #3307
MPSAN

Quote:
Agreed...on both counts, although to be fair I've purchased a number of OEM HDD's from newegg and they all worked fine. I've had good luck with ZipZoom too.
I agree with that as well. Lots of HDD's from the Egg. I am amazed at the packaging, but they have all worked.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #3308
elkcum55

Quote:
Well, $72.99 seems like a great price and the WD10EADS should be just fine for my TiVo HD's! Actually, it seems to make the EVVS not very cost effective! It is a $30 premium, and for what, in a THD?

Are you sure it will work with the HD? I just tried one in mine a few days ago and I could not get past the Powering Up screen. I used Instantcake on my other WD green drive with only 16 cache and it worked with out a hitch.
elkcum55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #3309
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcum55 View Post
Are you sure it will work with the HD? I just tried one in mine a few days ago and I could not get past the Powering Up screen. I used Instantcake on my other WD green drive with only 16 cache and it worked with out a hitch.
Everything I have read says it will. Even the upgrade guide says it is OK for the THD. Rich, isn't the WD10EADS just fine with our TiVo HD's?

Last edited by MPSAN : 08-02-2009 at 09:36 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #3310
richsadams

Quote:
Sounds like something was either wrong with the image process or the drive itself. OEM TiVo hard drives have a miniscule 2MB of cache. Anything above that is icing; 16MB Vs 32MB won't make any difference.

Quote:
Everything I have read says it will. Rich, isn't the WD10EADS fine with our TiVo HD's?
Yes the WD10EADS will work just fine in a TiVo HD. As bkdtv notes in the FAQ (first post):

Quote:
The WD10EACS, WD10EADS, and retail WD "Green" drives are not listed, because
most revisions of those drives will not work as internal upgrades on the
TiVo Series3. They will work on the newer TivoHD model. For 1TB upgrades,
Series3 owners should stick to the WD10EVVS, WD10EVDS, ST31000322CS,
ST31000533CS, and ST31000424CS.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #3311
elkcum55

Quote:
Sounds like something was either wrong with the image process or the drive itself. OEM TiVo hard drives have a miniscule 2MB of cache. Anything above that is icing; 16MB Vs 32MB won't make any difference.

Yes the WD10EADS will work just fine in a TiVo HD. As bkdtv notes in the FAQ (first post):
Rich,

MY HD TIVO is new but it was manufactured in Sept. 07. Is this still considered a newer than the TIVO 3 model and then should not have a problem with the WD10EADS? Also,...thanks for answering the part about difference in 16 and 32 cache. I am new to this and really don't know about a lot of this stuff. That is why I come here for expert advice like yours.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #3312
janry

Something I noticed that seemed odd when I upgraded my HD was the absence of dust inside it. Our house is old with lots of dust. Each time I opened my old Series 1, I spent a few minutes getting rid of the dust inside it. There was so little dust in the HD till it wasn't worth spending any time trying to clean it. I wonder why.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #3313
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

MY HD TIVO is new but it was manufactured in Sept. 07. Is this still considered a newer than the TIVO 3 model and then should not have a problem with the WD10EADS?
That drive should work fine in your TiVo HD.

Quote:
That is why I come here for expert advice like yours.
Whoa there big fella...I wouldn't go tossing the word "expert" around so cavalierly. "Enthusiast" maybe...expert? Not so much.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #3314
wildcardd

Just wanted to say thanks for the very detailed instructions. I just added my new WD10EVVS to my Tivo and it went flawless. You guys rock.
wildcardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:17 AM   #3315
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardd View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for the very detailed instructions. I just added my new WD10EVVS to my Tivo and it went flawless. You guys rock.
Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #3316
mitchk

Thanks! Internal 1TB upgrade was an absolute breeze!
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #3317
wired4net

Thanks to All

I don't post much, but I just had to add my thanks to all of the contributors to this thread and others in the TivoCommunity.

After months of pondering alternatives and worrying about almost everything, we bit the bullet and canceled DirecTV (after some 5-6 years, mostly happy), mothballed our HR10-250 (we had thought it would have to be pried from our cold dead hands....) and went with FIOS TV and 2 brand spanking new TIVO HD's with MCards.

Today (and this is the reason for posting this in this thread), I continued the new wild and crazy lifestyle by upgrading one of our TIVO HD's from the 160GB original drive to a new 1TB WD10EVVS. I chose this slightly more expensive drive over the recently noted bargains for less expensive drives, just because the preponderance of advice on this thread seemed to suggest greater compatibility and good experience with that drive even though others may well have worked with our new TIVO HD. Besides, when we have later invested dozens of hours of desirable programming onto the chosen drive, what difference will the 30-40 buck difference matter, anyway?

So, today, we are as happy as pigs in slop. The drive upgrade went very smoothly -- thanks exactly to this thread and the WinMFS software by the good folks at mfslive.org. Thanks to you all for investing your time and energies to help other folks.

BTW, the features of the TIVO HD have blown us away. In comparison, our old, beloved HR 10-250 was forever stuck in the past. Now we are streaming DIVX, sharing recordings between rooms, watching YouTube, etc., etc.

Thanks to one and all!
wired4net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #3318
elkcum55

Someone just mentioned sharing shows between HD TIVO's. Do you need to do anything pecial to see the shows on the other TIVO? When I go to Now Playing List on the new TIVO, it sees the other TIVO. When I click on the name of the other TIVO, it says "the DVR has not recordings. Press LEFT to return to the Now Playing List." There are plenty of recordings on the other TIVO. It is teh TIVO I installed the 1TB drive in to.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #3319
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Someone just mentioned sharing shows between HD TIVO's. Do you need to do anything pecial to see the shows on the other TIVO? When I go to Now Playing List on the new TIVO, it sees the other TIVO. When I click on the name of the other TIVO, it says "the DVR has not recordings. Press LEFT to return to the Now Playing List." There are plenty of recordings on the other TIVO. It is teh TIVO I installed the 1TB drive in to.

Thanks
Do you have 'transfers' enabled in your Tivo Account, under DVR Preferences. If you just enabled it, have the Tivos make a connection.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #3320
bkdtv

If you just upgraded your TiVos using the backup and restore method, it may take a day or two (up to a few days) for the other TiVos to see the upgraded box. You may be able to speed the process by forcing a connection under Phone & Network.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #3321
Sparty99

Can anyone provide a quick review on the Hitachi in the OP for a S3? I've ordered one of the Western Digital drives, but it's pricier than I would have liked and it's on back order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #3322
MPSAN

WD10EADS, $67.87 AR and Free Shipping! Too good to pass up!

Ok, here is the deal. I went to MS Live Cash Back (BING?) and went to ZipZoomFly. I added the WD10EADS to the cart at $89.99 (free shipping, too) and there is a $15 rebate. Then, in the cart, add a code of ZZF8810 and it comes to this....

$88.99-$5-$15 rebate-$2.12 CashBack= $67.87. I have Never seen it for less.

OK, Rich, now I will break one of my new THD's in 5 days!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #3323
csell

Need help - I just upgraded my Tivo HD (using DVRUpgrades product). Anyway, all worked perfectly. Booted up correctly, setup correctly and was able to watch and record tv. It then did a software update and when it rebooted, it got stuck in the "Welcome! Powering up...." boot loop.

NOW WHAT?????
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #3324
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Did you try pulling the plug?
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #3325
csell

Yes, I tried unplugging - nothing, still stuck on the "Powering Up screen"....

So basically I successfully installed the new hard drive and it worked perfectly until it tried to do a software upgrade and now its back to the "Powering Up" reboot cycle....

Anyone have a clue???? I've spent a lot of money and have nothing to show for it. Anyone have a similar experience?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #3326
moxie1617

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
Yes, I tried unplugging - nothing, still stuck on the "Powering Up screen"....

So basically I successfully installed the new hard drive and it worked perfectly until it tried to do a software upgrade and now its back to the "Powering Up" reboot cycle....

Anyone have a clue???? I've spent a lot of money and have nothing to show for it. Anyone have a similar experience?
Did you e-mail or call DVRUpgrade. They should be able to help. Could have been damaged in shipping?
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #3327
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post
Did you e-mail or call DVRUpgrade. They should be able to help. Could have been damaged in shipping?
I did the installation myself (so thus no shipping). But as previously said, it worked perfectly - booted up and worked great until Tivo did a software update and then its back to not being able to get past that Powering Up screen... I have a hard time believing its the hard drive since its a brand new hard drive and worked perfectly until the reboot.... I also don't think its the motherboard because, once again, it worked perfectly. Is there any chance it could be power supply related? My initial thought is no because it worked with the new harddrive just minutes earlier...
Old 08-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #3328
moxie1617

I believe the process of the upgrade installs the new firmware to a new sector of the disk that has not been used before. This sector could be bad. Hopefully some more knowledgable folks will chime in but I would still call DVRUpgrade. Only they know how they preped the disk.
moxie1617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #3329
MPSAN

Is the original HDD still there? You could put that back in if it was OK before the upgrade.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #3330
csell

Quote:
Is the original HDD still there? You could put that back in if it was OK before the upgrade.
The reason I did this upgrade in the first place was because it stopped working - got caught in the Powering Up reboot cycle. So I assumed it was a bad harddrive, so I upgraded to the new one, which initially worked perfectly, until Tivo did its software update and then rebooted the system.