TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #3271
janry

OK, now make sure I have this straight. I upgraded a couple of series 1's in years past. I'm non techinical so making a bootable disk and figuring out all that hda and hdb and hdwhatever really had me going. Unconnecting the computer boot drive, connecting this that and the other but connecting them in random order etc had me swearing I'd never do it again.

But, if I have the instructions in the first post of this thread right, it really looks like a piece of cake now.

Come on! Where are the real instructions? You know, the confusing ones?
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #3272
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
OK, now make sure I have this straight. I upgraded a couple of series 1's in years past. I'm non techinical so making a bootable disk and figuring out all that hda and hdb and hdwhatever really had me going. Unconnecting the computer boot drive, connecting this that and the other but connecting them in random order etc had me swearing I'd never do it again.

But, if I have the instructions in the first post of this thread right, it really looks like a piece of cake now.

Come on! Where are the real instructions? You know, the confusing ones?
Been there, done that, remember the pain.

winMFS by comparison is not just a piece of cake, but includes icing and sprinkles too. Let the ghosts of upgrades past RIP. You should have zero problems.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #3273
diskus

Thanks for the info. I have it all straight now
I downloaded the hdscan exe and played with the AAM setting WOW what a difference it makes on my desktop!!

Ordered the EVVS from above time to upgrade!!

[quote=dlfl;7412418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskus View Post

I assume you are wondering what AAM is (the WD10EADS is a Western Digital Drive -- just Google or follow the link already given above).

AAM is an adjustment for trading off HD seek noise versus performance.

The first post in this thread discusses setting AAM with a Hitachi tool. However at least one user found that didn't work for the WD10EACS and found another tool that did work. See this post earlier in this thread and the following four or five posts for all the details.

diskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #3274
richsadams

Keep in mind that reducing the AAM reduces the seek times as well. For TiVo there is zero impact, but you may notice it with your computer. If not...silence is golden!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #3275
Dssturbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Dssturbo, that is something I want to do. I am wondering if you started from an already upgraded drive when you moved to 1.5(1.35)TB? I have 1TB now and need a few more hours but I want to keep all current recordings. Did you just copy and then add the extra space from an upgraded drive or did you start with the original drive? I am not sure what I am worried about but I seem to vaguely remember there being some sort of limit to how many times a drive can be expanded. Is that notion obsolete now?
i upgraded to the Seagate 1.5Tb from the stock S3 drive. used WinMFS and copied over the info/recordings

not sure about how many times a drive can be expanded. maybe rich, bdftv spike or someone else can answer that for ya.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #3276
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Under the conditions TiVo operates I doubt you'd see much difference in temperature between the two drives. I had an EADS and it ran about the same as the EVCS and the EACS. The other nice thing about the EVVS though is that the AAM is set to 128 for quieter operation. You have to manually set it for the EADS...although they are very quiet to start with IMO.

Agreed, if you don't need the extra capacity now, I'd just wait to upgrade later.

I was "lucky" enough to be in Seattle yesterday...103...the record high of all time for them.
Thanks, Rich. Where I want to put the 1TB is in a room where I would probably not hear it anyway even if I left the EADS as is. The house has full A/C so heat would be OK too. I may as well wait 'til the end of the summer, however, and see what, if anything, happens to the prices.

Stay cool,

Dave
Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #3277
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
The first post in this thread discusses setting AAM with a Hitachi tool. However at least one user found that didn't work for the WD10EACS and found another tool that did work. See this post earlier in this thread and the following four or five posts for all the details.
I'm that "other user". To clarify, I don't think my problem was with the Hitachi tool not supporting the WD10EACS. The problem was that it just didn't see the drive when it was connected via a USB to SATA adapter. hddscan did recognize the drive when it was connected that way. The Hitachi tool would probably work fine if the WD10EACS was directly connected via SATA.

Last edited by spocko : 07-31-2009 at 04:14 PM.
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #3278
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
I'm that "other user". To clarify, I don't think my problem was with the Hitachi tool not supporting the WD10EACS. The problem was that it just didn't see the drive when it was connected via a USB to SATA adapter. hddscan did recognize the drive when it was connected that way. They Hitachi tool would probably work fine if the WD10EACS was directly connected via SATA.
It's worth noting that the latest version of Hitachi Feature Tool removed support for third-party AAM configuration. You can't set AAM on a Western Digital drive with the latest version. You have to download the older version linked in the first post.

I'll update the FAQ in the next day or two with the suggestion of Hddscan for USB-connected drives.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #3279
spocko
TiVo HD

Impact of drive upgrade on system temperature

Just thought I'd share that upgrading my Tivo HD from the stock 160GB WD1600AVJS to a 1TB WD10EACS did increase the Tivo's internal temp by few degrees. Previously it was running about 42-43 C, and now it's about 44-45. This is the temp reported on the System Information screen. The ambient temp is about 78 F. I don't think this temp is a problem, I was just a little surprised to see that much difference. I guess that little stock drive runs very cool.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #3280
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
Just thought I'd share that upgrading my Tivo HD from the stock 160GB WD1600AVJS to a 1TB WD10EACS did increase the Tivo's internal temp by few degrees. Previously it was running about 42-43 C, and now it's about 44-45. This is the temp reported on the System Information screen. The ambient temp is about 78 F. I don't think this temp is a problem, I was just a little surprised to see that much difference. I guess that little stock drive runs very cool.
I wonder if the AAM setting has any significant effect on temperature? If you tell it to seek slower (quieter) would it create a little less heat?

My stock 160GB HD frequently runs 44-45C degrees with ambient of 75F. It is in a cabinet and the ambient is the temp outside the cabinet. It always labels those temps as normal. How high does it have to get before it says above normal, I wonder?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #3281
richsadams

Quote:
How high does it have to get before it says above normal, I wonder?
IIRC over 65C for TiVo. Once in a while there's a post about a TiVo shutting down due to heat...usually because the internal fan quit...and usually on a S2.

The hard drives themselves are rated to run well over 70C now.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #3282
diskus

Completed the upgrade on the WD EVVS 1TB with WinMFS checked the soft restart, no probs. 142 HD hours !!!

Thanks for the help

Mike

[quote=diskus;7415090]Thanks for the info. I have it all straight now
I downloaded the hdscan exe and played with the AAM setting WOW what a difference it makes on my desktop!!

Ordered the EVVS from above time to upgrade!!

diskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 AM   #3283
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
I wonder if the AAM setting has any significant effect on temperature? If you tell it to seek slower (quieter) would it create a little less heat?
That's possible, but probably not a significant difference. My drive already has AAM set to the lowest value.

The stock 160GB drive is probably single platter, while the 1TB drives are 2 or 3 platters depending on the model. Drives with fewer platters generally run cooler if all else is the same. On the other hand, according to the specs on the WD site, the 160GB drive is 7200 RPM, while the WD Green drives reportedly run at 5400 RPM. The 160GB drive also lists higher power dissipation specs than the EACS drive that I'm using, so those things in theory would tend to make the 1TB drive run cooler. In practice though, it appears that the EACS drive runs warmer. Perhaps there is some magic in the "AV" series drives that helps them run cooler? Has anyone who has upgraded using an EVVS/EVCS/EVDS noted a temp increase?

I'm not trying to make a big deal of this, a few degrees doesn't matter, I'm just curious. If the AV series drives do run cooler, that could help justify their higher cost.

Last edited by spocko : 08-01-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #3284
Sparty99

Alright guys, I'm officially dumbstruck and looking for help. I've connected multiple drives over multiple ways on 2 computers. If I connect the SATA drives via external drive enclosures using my laptop, the devices are found in Disk Management but WinMFS does not see the TiVo drive. If I connect it on my desktop via SATA connector, WinMFS finds the original TiVo drive but does not see any destination drive. I've tried a 500 GB, 1 TB and 1.5 TB drive on these (admittedly, these are drives I have leftover and are not on the list in the OP).

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Sparty99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #3285
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Alright guys, I'm officially dumbstruck and looking for help. I've connected multiple drives over multiple ways on 2 computers. If I connect the SATA drives via external drive enclosures using my laptop, the devices are found in Disk Management but WinMFS does not see the TiVo drive. If I connect it on my desktop via SATA connector, WinMFS finds the original TiVo drive but does not see any destination drive. I've tried a 500 GB, 1 TB and 1.5 TB drive on these (admittedly, these are drives I have leftover and are not on the list in the OP).

Can anyone provide some guidance?
Did you enable the internal sata port (in the BIOS) you are using on your desktop? Some PCs do not autodetect...
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #3286
bkdtv

Quote:
In each case, did you run WinMFS as administrator? WinMFS won't see the USB drives without administrative privileges.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #3287
csell

I'm looking to replace my dead internal harddrive for my Tivo HD. I noticed several of the hard drives listed on the recommended list are 5400 RPMs. I checked the specs on the one that came with the Tivo (the now dead one) and it is 7200 RPMs. Is putting in a new hard drive with lower RPMs really a good idea? Or is the a good reason why it doesn't really matter???
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #3288
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I'm looking to replace my dead internal harddrive for my Tivo HD. I noticed several of the hard drives listed on the recommended list are 5400 RPMs. I checked the specs on the one that came with the Tivo (the now dead one) and it is 7200 RPMs. Is putting in a new hard drive with lower RPMs really a good idea? Or is the a good reason why it doesn't really matter???
From the first post:

Quote:
Any 5400rpm drive sold in the past few years will provide the necessary performance. A MPEG-2 HD stream consumes no more than 2.42 MB/s (same as 19.4 Megabits/s). Recording two different HD channels while watching a third, while also transferring another HD program with MRV, would consume around 10 MB/s. Modern 5400rpm drives can sustain at least triple that.
TiVo uses the 5400rpm Western Digital WD10EVVS in its TivoHD XL.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #3289
csell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
From the first post:

TiVo uses the 5400rpm Western Digital WD10EVVS in its TivoHD XL.
Thanks - that was the type of convincing argument I was looking for! To me, the following seems like an awesome deal (I haven't looked for a new hard drive in years, so it may not be that great!):

WD5000AVVS (500 GB) for $56.82 at Amazon
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:02 AM   #3290
Airhead315

Quote:
Thanks - that was the type of convincing argument I was looking for! To me, the following seems like an awesome deal (I haven't looked for a new hard drive in years, so it may not be that great!):

Just to let you know I always use camelcamelcamel to determine whether I found a good deal on amazon or not. If you check out this link:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B001DNSZAK

You will see that the average price for this drive on Amazon is 54.86. This price is about $2 more than that. The lowest price recorded is $48.11.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #3291
bkdtv

Quote:

If you settle for 500GB now, you may regret that you didn't spend the extra $35-$45 for 1TB.

Storage fills much faster than you'd think.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #3292
richsadams

Quote:
If you settle for 500GB now, you may regret that you didn't spend the extra $35-$45 for 1TB.

Storage fills much faster than you'd think.
Absolutely agree. Spend a little bit more for double the space. You won't regret it.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #3293
janry

Did my upgrade last night. Now have 157 hours. Pleased as punch. Biggest problem was disconnecting the TiVo and reconnecting it in the AV rack.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #3294
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by janry View Post
Biggest problem was disconnecting the TiVo and reconnecting it in the AV rack.
Some have to suffer for the cause.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #3295
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Did you enable the internal sata port (in the BIOS) you are using on your desktop? Some PCs do not autodetect...
Quote:
In each case, did you run WinMFS as administrator? WinMFS won't see the USB drives without administrative privileges.
Once I deleted the partition on the drive in question WinMFS was able to find the drive. However, I was doing this with what are essentially leftover hard drives and the performance on the 500GB drive I swapped in wasn't up to par, so I went back to the stock drive.

It was a really easy process and I've been running out of space a lot lately, so I'm seriously considering buying an approved drive for an upgrade.

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #3296
richsadams

Quote:
...the performance on the 500GB drive I swapped in wasn't up to par, so I went back to the stock drive.
Curious...what performance issues did you see? What kind of drive? TiVo's hard drive demands are relatively minimal compared to normal computers so was just wondering what problems you noticed.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #3297
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Curious...what performance issues did you see? What kind of drive? TiVo's hard drive demands are relatively minimal compared to normal computers so was just wondering what problems you noticed.
It was a WD5000KS (like I said, I was just using leftover drives). The drive was noticeably louder and it would click at various points (normally this would correspond to a freezing of the screen. I could have lived with it, but in the end it really wasn't worth it to me.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #3298
richsadams

Quote:
It was a WD5000KS (like I said, I was just using leftover drives). The drive was noticeably louder and it would click at various points (normally this would correspond to a freezing of the screen. I could have lived with it, but in the end it really wasn't worth it to me.
Ah, got it. Sounds like some sector issues.

So a great excuse to pick up that shiny new 1TB you've had your eye on.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #3299
Airhead315

Hey guys, the WD10EADS 1TB drive is on sale at newegg for $79.99 with free shipping! About a $10 savings off the current going rate for this drive.
Airhead315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #3300
MPSAN

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead315 View Post
Hey guys, the WD10EADS 1TB drive is on sale at newegg for $79.99 with free shipping! About a $10 savings off the current going rate for this drive.
Yeah and it was $69 at Dell with coupons but I could not order it as we went away for a week. Now I am waiting to see if I can get it for less than $79. ZipZoomFly has it with free shipping for $88-$15 rebate so it is $72.99 delivered...maybe that is good enough!

Hey Rich, since all my TiVo's are OK, can I now break one of them?