TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #3241
innocentfreak

Dell has a bunch of drive deals right now on the Western Digital Green and Black series. The 1TB Green drive came to $69.29 with free 2 day shipping before tax. I know some people have had luck with them on the Tivo HDs.

You can read more at slickdeals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #3242
innocentfreak

Just a heads up for those looking for WD10EVVS, both buy.com and provantage have the drive back in stock. Provantage had 33 drives last time I checked and were $5 cheaper than buy.com but I know buy.com has free shipping.

WD10EVVS@provantage.com - 91.74 + shipping
WD10EVVS@buy.com - 96.99 with FS

Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 PM   #3243
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Just a heads up for those looking for WD10EVVS, both buy.com and provantage have the drive back in stock. Provantage had 33 drives last time I checked and were $5 cheaper than buy.com but I know buy.com has free shipping.
Nice finds...thanks for keeping track.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #3244
innocentfreak

Yeah I was surprised to find them in stock. I can't decide whether to buy them though since I have only had the Tivo HDs for 30 days. I am tempted to hold out for another month or two but as we creep towards the new fall season I may need to do it sooner rather than later.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #3245
richsadams

Quote:
Yeah I was surprised to find them in stock. I can't decide whether to buy them though since I have only had the Tivo HDs for 30 days. I am tempted to hold out for another month or two but as we creep towards the new fall season I may need to do it sooner rather than later.
Well the cost probably won't go up so holding out wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you can manage to deal with the space limitations for a little longer.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #3246
innocentfreak

True but then again they really haven't dropped in price either. I really would prefer to wait as long as I can before upgrading. I think I am just worried when I go from average recordings to a ton a night especially with how slow Tivo Desktop transfers are.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 AM   #3247
richsadams

Quote:
True but then again they really haven't dropped in price either.
Whadaya mean? I paid $259 for my first 1TB WD10EACS from BB...on sale!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #3248
gary622

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when I upgrade my drive, and I get to the following instructions "Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and connect only the original TiVo drive. You can open your computer and connect it with a SATA cable, or you can connect it externally with a SATA->USB adapter or a drive dock." when it says to connect only the original Tivo drive, does that mean I should disconnect my computer hard drive and only have the Tivo drive, or do I connect them both. I will be connecting the Tivo drive internally.
gary622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #3249
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary622 View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when I upgrade my drive, and I get to the following instructions "Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and connect only the original TiVo drive. You can open your computer and connect it with a SATA cable, or you can connect it externally with a SATA->USB adapter or a drive dock." when it says to connect only the original Tivo drive, does that mean I should disconnect my computer hard drive and only have the Tivo drive, or do I connect them both. I will be connecting the Tivo drive internally.
You should leave your computer drive(s) connected. If you don't, Windows won't boot.

When it says "connect only the original TiVo drive" that just means that you shouldn't [yet] connect the new replacement drive. If you know what you were doing, you could also connect the new replacement drive at the same time, but the instructions are written to be as idiot-proof as possible, so the backup and restore is described in two separate steps.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #3250
gary622

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You should leave your computer drive(s) connected. If you don't, Windows won't boot.

When it says "connect only the original TiVo drive" that just means that you shouldn't [yet] connect the new replacement drive. If you know what you were doing, you could also connect the new replacement drive at the same time, but the instructions are written to be as idiot-proof as possible, so the backup and restore is described in two separate steps.
That's what I thought, thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #3251
spocko
TiVo HD

I also had to stop and think when I got to that step in the instructions that Gary mentioned. The wording "connect only the original TiVo drive" is potentially confusing. It might be clearer to explicitly say something like "connect the original TiVo drive. Do not connect the replacement drive at this time. Do not disconnect your Windows boot drive."
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #3252
Sparty99

Recently placed an order for a couple of 1.5 TB drives from Newegg. Can anyone here tell me if these drives will be usable for a Series 3 upgrade?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152175

Thanks in advance.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 AM   #3253
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Recently placed an order for a couple of 1.5 TB drives from Newegg. Can anyone here tell me if these drives will be usable for a Series 3 upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
Everything you need to know about upgrading can be found on the first post of this sticky thread. Section 1, #16 is what you're looking for.

BTW Samsung Spinpoint drives have had mixed results and are not on the recommended hard drive list.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:07 AM   #3254
cuppingmaster

Future Compatibility

I'm down with doing this, I found appropriate Mac instructions and the WD drive I want is easy enough to come by. The trouble is, I'm worried that one of these auto downloaded SW updates will break my upgraded TiVo. Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of this?

Of course, I could just buy the 1TB myDVR expander, but that's not clean and no fun in doing it.
cuppingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:11 AM   #3255
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post
I'm worried that one of these auto downloaded SW updates will break my upgraded TiVo. Anyone care to speculate on the likelihood of this?
Nothing to speculate about...it's never happened.

Happy upgrading.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #3256
cuppingmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Nothing to speculate about...it's never happened.

Happy upgrading.
Thanks!
cuppingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #3257
Sparty99

Quote:
Everything you need to know about upgrading can be found on the first post of this sticky thread. Section 1, #16 is what you're looking for.

BTW Samsung Spinpoint drives have had mixed results and are not on the recommended hard drive list.
That's kind of what I was looking for. I'm going to be replacing a WD 1TB hard drive in my computer, so I'll probably just format that and put it in the TiVo.

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #3258
DixonAgee

Big Grin

I have a Series 3 Tivo and had purchased a WD10EVVS drive to upgrade. The last time I checked in I had tried to run MFS Copy and the process had stuck. I was told to use Backup/Restore (and lose my recordings?) or try a new PC for the Copy. I decided to wait for a new PC to try again - which is what I did today.

My first attempt seemed to freeze at the same point as the first try - but after first selecting MFS Supersize (I know - out of order) - the Copy seemed to work! However I was not satisfied with the final Partition Stats - the last media partition seemed very small.

So ... I decided to run the format on the new drive, then start from scratch. This time everything ran as expected and the Partition Stats looked much better. I installed the drive this evening and .... 157 HD hrs are now available - the predicted amount for the WD10 EVVS drive. Finally!

I'm not sure why the other PC didn't work - someone suggested an anti-virus or firewall program was to blame. That could be true. I didn't try the old machine with a clean boot. However, the new machine did not have any of these running - which made the issue moot. All's well that ends well.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #3259
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonAgee View Post
157 HD hrs are now available - the predicted amount for the WD10 EVVS drive. Finally!
Good Job

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #3260
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonAgee View Post
I installed the drive this evening and .... 157 HD hrs are now available - the predicted amount for the WD10 EVVS drive. Finally!
Welcome to the club!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 PM   #3261
gary622

Help!

I am trying to upgrade my Tivo HD with a WD 1TB. I connected the original Tivo drive to my computer and executed the MFS program. I went to file, select, and my original drive was listed first. I selected the 1 under the column where it says A drive and hit select (the drive info listed shows the model of my WD 160 hd, then format-Tivo series 2 or 3, size-160, sectors-***, Bus type-ATA, Drive Letter-Unmounted).

I then go to file, backup, Tivo Drive (Truncated)...and it brings me to a backup screen that has two boxes. The first box says steps. The first step is select backup file. I hit the select button and I only see information from my computer drive, not the Tivo drive. What am I supposed to select to backup?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #3262
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary622 View Post
Help!

I am trying to upgrade my Tivo HD with a WD 1TB. I connected the original Tivo drive to my computer and executed the MFS program. I went to file, select, and my original drive was listed first. I selected the 1 under the column where it says A drive and hit select (the drive info listed shows the model of my WD 160 hd, then format-Tivo series 2 or 3, size-160, sectors-***, Bus type-ATA, Drive Letter-Unmounted).

I then go to file, backup, Tivo Drive (Truncated)...and it brings me to a backup screen that has two boxes. The first box says steps. The first step is select backup file. I hit the select button and I only see information from my computer drive, not the Tivo drive. What am I supposed to select to backup?
I haven't done this myself yet, but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to select a backup file name on your Windows hard drive(s) where WinMFS will create the backup file. Thus it makes sense that you are seeing your computer drive at that point.

By the way, are you following the instructions given in the first post of this thread, Section IV, Item 18 ?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #3263
gary622

Thanks dlfl. Why I didn't figure that out, I have no idea! Thanks for the help, the backup and restore worked, now I will hook the Tivo backup and hope it really worked.

And yes, I am following the instructions you mentioned.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #3264
diskus

[quote=richsadams;7385496]I'd just go with the $79.99 WD10EADS. . The one thing that might make a difference to you personally, AAM, you can modify (de-tune to 128 for quieter seeks). So why wait?

Can someone explain exactly what that line means, Im not even sure which of the drives it refers to?

Thanks!!!
Mike
diskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #3265
dlfl
Cranky old novice

[quote=diskus;7412141]
Quote:
I'd just go with the $79.99 WD10EADS. . The one thing that might make a difference to you personally, AAM, you can modify (de-tune to 128 for quieter seeks). So why wait?

Can someone explain exactly what that line means, Im not even sure which of the drives it refers to?

Thanks!!!
Mike
I assume you are wondering what AAM is (the WD10EADS is a Western Digital Drive -- just Google or follow the link already given above).

AAM is an adjustment for trading off HD seek noise versus performance.

The first post in this thread discusses setting AAM with a Hitachi tool. However at least one user found that didn't work for the WD10EACS and found another tool that did work. See this post earlier in this thread and the following four or five posts for all the details.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #3266
Dssturbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post

Thanks in advance.
yes, i used a Seagate 1.5Tb drive in my S3. It only uses 1.35Tb of the space with the stock S3. you would need to have the Prom modded to use all the space with a 1.5 or 2 Tb drive.

The 1.35Tb usable space gives me 213 HD hours with the one internal drive, it's quiet and has worked just fine so far. Fry's had them on sale for $107 shipped a couple months ago but have not seen them that low recently.
Dssturbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #3267
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1 View Post
yes, i used a Seagate 1.5Tb drive in my S3. It only uses 1.35Tb of the space with the stock S3. you would need to have the Prom modded to use all the space with a 1.5 or 2 Tb drive.

The 1.35Tb usable space gives me 213 HD hours with the one internal drive, it's quiet and has worked just fine so far. Fry's had them on sale for $107 shipped a couple months ago but have not seen them that low recently.
It looks like it's going to be a moot point, as my brother's going to take one of the 2 I ordered. I'll take the 1 TB drive I'm currently using for my video archives and drop it into the S3.

Does anyone know if it's worth it to drop a 500 GB drive into a TiVo HD? I've got a few of those lying around and figured I'd go through the upgrade if it was worth it.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #3268
MPSAN

Quote:
Well the cost probably won't go up so holding out wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you can manage to deal with the space limitations for a little longer.
Rich, just got back from Westfir, OR...an RV Vacation.

Now I can buy an upgrade drive. I hate the fact that the EVVS is at least $20 more than the EADS, but if it runs cooler it may be worth it. My other concern is that I, too, have only had these 3 THD's running for a Month and want to be sure all is OK...maybe upgrade after the summer or when it becomes less than 100 degrees around here!!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #3269
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssturbo1 View Post
yes, i used a Seagate 1.5Tb drive in my S3. It only uses 1.35Tb of the space with the stock S3...

The 1.35Tb usable space gives me 213 HD hours with the one internal drive, it's quiet and has worked just fine so far...
Dssturbo, that is something I want to do. I am wondering if you started from an already upgraded drive when you moved to 1.5(1.35)TB? I have 1TB now and need a few more hours but I want to keep all current recordings. Did you just copy and then add the extra space from an upgraded drive or did you start with the original drive? I am not sure what I am worried about but I seem to vaguely remember there being some sort of limit to how many times a drive can be expanded. Is that notion obsolete now?
Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #3270
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Now I can buy an upgrade drive. I hate the fact that the EVVS is at least $20 more than the EADS, but if it runs cooler it may be worth it. My other concern is that I, too, have only had these 3 THD's running for a Month and want to be sure all is OK...maybe upgrade after the summer or when it becomes less than 100 degrees around here!!
Under the conditions TiVo operates I doubt you'd see much difference in temperature between the two drives. I had an EADS and it ran about the same as the EVCS and the EACS. The other nice thing about the EVVS though is that the AAM is set to 128 for quieter operation. You have to manually set it for the EADS...although they are very quiet to start with IMO.

Agreed, if you don't need the extra capacity now, I'd just wait to upgrade later.

I was "lucky" enough to be in Seattle yesterday...103...the record high of all time for them.