TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 AM   #3211
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4me2 View Post
After spending many hours over the past several days reading posts here, a few suggestions:
Some good ideas. And welcome back to the family!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #3212
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I added section linking to the first post. This should make FAQ navigation much easier / faster.
Oh, cool. I think I see how it is implemented. One creates an "aname" tag for a link location, then one can sprinkle "jumpto" tags throughout the post to take the user instantly to the link location, right?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #3213
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
I don't know why every computer tech person on the planet doesn't have ulcers.
No, I did hear about one somewhere who doesn't. For the rest of us, it's pretty much a given.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #3214
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Adjusting the AAM down to 128 takes the seek noise from about 27/28 dBA to about 24/25 dBA which is equal to the recommended WD10EVVS or WD10EVCS AV GP drives.
Note that a 3dB change in audio level is considered barely perceptible to human ears. An actual doubling of audio intensity is about 7dB, but human ears are non-linear, so a psychoacoustic doubling of audio intensity is about 10dB. At the threshold, however, 3dB can make the difference between "barely audible" and "inaudible".
Old 07-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #3215
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Oh, cool. I think I see how it is implemented. One creates an "aname" tag for a link location, then one can sprinkle "jumpto" tags throughout the post to take the user instantly to the link location, right?
Correct.

I would redo the other FAQ too, except TCF still maintains an eight-image-per-post limit.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #3216
lrhorer

3TB Hard Drives?

Has anyone heard anything further on the release date for 3TB hard drives? I still have about 1.5T free on my RAID server, and that should hold me for a few more months. I also have two slots left on the RAID chassis, so if need be I can buy a 1T drive or two in the mean time, but it would be very nice if the 3T drives were out and falling a bit in price before I had to spend any more on 1T drives. At a minimum of about 11.5 cents per G, the 2T drives are still a bit pricey compared to about 7.9 cents per G for a 1.5T drive or as little as 7.4 cents per G for a 1T drive, but they are not outrageous. Of course, instead of 3T drives, I could purchase twice as many 1.5T drives and save a good little bit of cash, but the extra $1200 or so for a RAID chassis and additional drive controller should easily be offset by the premium for the 3T drives, given the much smaller number of drives to be purchased initially.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #3217
richsadams

Quote:
Has anyone heard anything further on the release date for 3TB hard drives? I still have about 1.5T free on my RAID server, and that should hold me for a few more months. I also have two slots left on the RAID chassis, so if need be I can buy a 1T drive or two in the mean time, but it would be very nice if the 3T drives were out and falling a bit in price before I had to spend any more on 1T drives. At a minimum of about 11.5 cents per G, the 2T drives are still a bit pricey compared to about 7.9 cents per G for a 1.5T drive or as little as 7.4 cents per G for a 1T drive, but they are not outrageous. Of course, instead of 3T drives, I could purchase twice as many 1.5T drives and save a good little bit of cash, but the extra $1200 or so for a RAID chassis and additional drive controller should easily be offset by the premium for the 3T drives, given the much smaller number of drives to be purchased initially.
Show off.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #3218
Michael Gwynn

Quote:
Show off.

snicker.... so true!

however, when 'pc archaeologists' read this post 100 years from now (or even 100 months from now), they'll still be amused, but for a different reason.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #3219
bellaireroad

Hello to all. Hopefully someone can answer a couple of questions for me.

1) Is TIVO based on LINUX?

2) IF #1 is true, can ghost for linux (G4L) be use to clone the drive, and gparted be used to expand the data partition

3) Why the limitation for the internal drive size , is this a limitation of the bios?
bellaireroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #3220
lrhorer

Quote:
Show off.
Hey, I have yet to find anyone else who will blow my horn, so if I don't do it, no one will!

I do really want to know about the 3T drives, though. If I buy 2T drives, I'll just wind up replacing all of them sooner rather than later. With 3T drives, I'm pretty sure I can put together large enough arrays to last me several years.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #3221
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad View Post
Hello to all. Hopefully someone can answer a couple of questions for me.

1) Is TIVO based on LINUX?
Yes.

Quote:
2) IF #1 is true, can ghost for linux (G4L) be use to clone the drive
Probably not, but I don't know for certain. Most such utilities balk at unknown partition types.

Quote:
and gparted be used to expand the data partition
Definitely not. There is not a single data partition, and gparted hasn't a clue about MFS partitions. Read through the first post in this thread. WinMFS and MFS_Live both do the job admirably and quickly, relatively speaking.

Quote:
3) Why the limitation for the internal drive size , is this a limitation of the bios?
No. The TiVo does not really have a BIOS, in the way you are thinking of it. The S3 TiVo is limited to 2.2 TB by the fact it employs a 32 bit file system (MFS). The THD is currently limited by a bug in the 3rd party tool sets used to upgrade the drives. I'm not sure what the THD XL's limit is at this point, but I think it is much higher than the THD. I expect probably 4T or so.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #3222
richsadams

Quote:
The THD is currently limited by a bug in the 3rd party tool sets used to upgrade the drives.
I thought the TiVo kernel has a bug that wont let it work with partitions larger than 1TB? Also isn't MFS a Linux/Apple hybrid of sorts (or is that a bit redundant)?

Last edited by richsadams : 07-13-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 AM   #3223
lrhorer

Quote:
I thought the TiVo kernel has a bug that wont let it work with partitions larger than 1TB?
Yes, but even if we limit the drive to 16 partitions (there's some question in my mind whether this is a real limitation, or not), and pair the application and media regions, that still leaves up to 3TB for the internal drive. I'm not sure what the limitations on an external drive are in terms of the maximum number of partitions.

Quote:
Also isn't MFS a Linux/Apple hybrid of sorts (or is that a bit redundant)?
I don't really know what the structure is. The first partition on a TiVo drive is an Apple partition, but I don't know any of the details of the MFS partitions.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #3224
brettatk
Thread Killer

I've been away from the upgrade scene the last few years. My previously upgraded Tivo HD (WD10EACS) has started locking up about once a day so I'm guessing it's a hard drive issue. Just purchased the WD10EADS from ZipZoomFly for $89.99 with $15 mail in rebate. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer all recordings and settings once it arrives. Only the 3rd problem I've ever had with any of my Tivo's and a new drive has always taken care of the problem. Hopefully the result will be the same this time.
brettatk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #3225
richsadams

1TB Fantom eSATA $79.99

Noted that the 1TB Fantom Green Drive is $79.99 AR w/free shipping at buy.com through July 15th. Several TCF folks are successfully using it as an expansion drive.

NOTE: Please read the first post of this thread for detailed applications and options. in particular, Section IV, "Unsupported External Drives" .
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #3226
richsadams

1tb Wd10eads $79.99

Noted that newegg.com has the 1TB WD10EADS drive on sale for $89.99 less $10 with promo code EMCLVMR33 making it $79.99 w/free shipping.

NOTE: This drive is good for internal upgrades to TiVo HD's only and does NOT work in TiVo Series3's due to a soft reboot issue. It will work as an eSATA drive (with an enclosure) with either model. See the first post on this thread for more upgrade details.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #3227
HD4me2

The TivoHD arrived last Friday along with a WD expander (500GB).
Setup went smoothly. Luckily, my brain was able to retrieve the Tivo knowledge acquired in 2007. That, along with the extensive reading of posts on the TCF, avoided the need to read the manual.

Acronis Trueimage, installed on my computers, has a special backup function, sector by sector copy. The next time The Tivo needs to be powered down, I will make a backup of the WD and restore to a spare WD 1 TB green drive - WD10EAVS, and boot the Tivo with that drive connected in place of the WD expander. Sector copy does not care about file formats, partitons etc. I will first boot to PCLinuxOS 2009 on this computer and examine the 1TB drive to see what if any info shows up.

Should be an interesting experiment, but no plan to use winmfs untill the Tivo warranty expires.

If any posters know if this has been tried, let me know.

BTW, found a copy of winmfs on another computer, the one used to expand the Tivo (returned at that time) in 2007.

Last edited by HD4me2 : 07-14-2009 at 12:22 PM.
HD4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #3228
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
...Should be an interesting experiment, but no plan to use winmfs until the TiVo warranty expires...
Your warranty expires as soon as you open the case to do your experiment.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #3229
HD4me2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
Your warranty expires as soon as you open the case to do your experiment.
Yes I know. The experiment only involves the WD expander. No need to open the Tivo or the expander. Just plug the expander into one of the ESATA ports on the computer and make the backup.

Last edited by HD4me2 : 07-14-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #3230
richsadams

Quote:
The TivoHD arrived last Friday along with a WD expander (500GB).
Setup went smoothly. Luckily, my brain was able to retrieve the Tivo knowledge acquired in 2007. That, along with the extensive reading of posts on the TCF, avoided the need to read the manual.

Acronis Trueimage, installed on my computers, has a special backup function, sector by sector copy. The next time The Tivo needs to be powered down, I will make a backup of the WD and restore to a spare WD 1 TB green drive - WD10EAVS, and boot the Tivo with that drive connected in place of the WD expander. Sector copy does not care about file formats, partitons etc. I will first boot to PCLinuxOS 2009 on this computer and examine the 1TB drive to see what if any info shows up.

Should be an interesting experiment, but no plan to use winmfs untill the Tivo warranty expires.

If any posters know if this has been tried, let me know.

BTW, found a copy of winmfs on another computer, the one used to expand the Tivo (returned at that time) in 2007.
I'm all for trying new things but I'm confused by the nature of your experiment and I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with the results because as outlined you've made some incorrect assumptions.

First thing to know is that when an expansion drive is connected TiVo stripes recordings across both drives, essentially handling the internal and external drives as one large hard drive.

Secondly TiVo recognizes external hard drives by the exact hard drive model number. Having a bit-for-bit copy of the external drive's data would only be useful in an exact drive replacement.

In addition TiVo HD's and HDXL's only accept WD's 500GB and 1TB My DVR Expander eSATA drives via plug and pray. Using any other eSATA drive requires pulling the internal hard drive and employing one of the MFS programs to marry the two. (Most people simply replace the TiVo HD's internal hard drive instead).

Hope that helps and perhaps saves some time!
Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 PM   #3231
HD4me2

Quote:
Secondly TiVo recognizes external hard drives by the exact hard drive model number. Having a bit-for-bit copy of the external drive's data would only be useful in an exact drive replacement.
Aware of that. That is why it is an experiment.
Really do not expect that to succeed but no harm in trying..
BTW before I married the WD expander, the WD 1Gb was tried and as expected the "drive not supported message' appeared..

Call me nuts, but experimenting is the spice of life.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #3232
richsadams

Quote:
Aware of that. That is why it is an experiment.
Really do not expect that to succeed but no harm in trying..
BTW before I married the WD expander, the WD 1Gb was tried and as expected the "drive not supported message' appeared..

Call me nuts, but experimenting is the spice of life.
Okay, in that case, yes it's been tried a number of times over the past couple of years. There's a good deal of documentation about it on Spike's MFSlive.org's Forum.

But what the heck? Report back when you find time.

Options = good.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #3233
bkdtv

Just about anything that could be tried, has been tried...at least 20x in the past 24 months.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #3234
lrhorer

Quote:
Just about anything that could be tried, has been tried...at least 20x in the past 24 months.
We're talking about TiVos aren't we, not sex?
Old 07-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #3235
richsadams

Quote:
We're talking about TiVos aren't we, not sex?
D'oh! Good one!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #3236
MPSAN

So, who is buying all the 1TB WD10EVVS/EVCS drives? They are OOS almost everywhere or a 2-4 week wait. I have had my TiVo HD's for several weeks now so it must be time to kill at least 1 of them! I must live up to my SIG.

I know the WD10EADS will work in my THD ( have one in an MX-1 as an eSATA Backup to our PC's), and the egg has it cheap, but should I just wait? Perhaps the low volume of the EVxS will always make it more $$ than the EADS, but it is getting to be a bigger and bigger gap now!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #3237
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
So, who is buying all the 1TB WD10EVVS/EVCS drives? They are OOS almost everywhere or a 2-4 week wait. I have had my TiVo HD's for several weeks now so it must be time to kill at least 1 of them! I must live up to my SIG.

I know the WD10EADS will work in my THD ( have one in an MX-1 as an eSATA Backup to our PC's), and the egg has it cheap, but should I just wait? Perhaps the low volume of the EVxS will always make it more $$ than the EADS, but it is getting to be a bigger and bigger gap now!
I'd just go with the $79.99 WD10EADS. The architechture is almost identical and the differences won't make any difference to TiVo. The one thing that might make a difference to you personally, AAM, you can modify (de-tune to 128 for quieter seeks). So why wait?

EDIT: Just noticed that if you use PayPal for the first time, Newegg will give you an additional $10 off...making the 1TB WD10EADS $69.99! Whadya waitin' for??

Last edited by richsadams : 07-15-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #3238
HD4me2

Quote:
Yes. true.
Recalling my experience in 2007 when I had to return a Tivo HD due to the repeated "total loss of video" problem and marrying and external drive via winmfs, I should know better.

My new Tivo HD and WD expander are running perfectly and exhibit none of the glitches and problems seen on many posts on this forum. So it seems prudent to leave well enough alone for now. 80 hours HD on the Tivo plus 40 hours HD on the HDD250 are more than enough for auto racing and golf tournaments.

BTW it seems bkdtv and bfdtv on the avsforum are the same person. On the avsforum, where I spent far more time, your FAQ's on the Tivo and dtvpal dvr are very helpfull. Thanks.

One last question, which thread is appropriate for Tivo to PC transfer problems. As yet most transfers start but fail to complete and that with a hardwired Gbit home network and a 4-core CPU loafing at < 10% transferring to a 1TB drive. Both Tivo desktop and kmttg behave this way. This happens with HD shows like CSI but not with the Tivo user lessons. And yes, the bkdtv FAQ has been read many times. Is it because I run on these on Vista 64 bit and on win7 RC 64 bit?. All on the same computer (wich boots 6 OS's using System Commander)
Old 07-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #3239
richsadams

Quote:
One last question, which thread is appropriate for Tivo to PC transfer problems.
The folks over at the Home Media Features & TiVoToGo forum can be very helpful.

BTW, bkdtv and bfdtv are actually brothers...bfdtv is bkdtv's evil twin. Kidding.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #3240
MPSAN

Quote:
EDIT: Just noticed that if you use PayPal for the first time, Newegg will give you an additional $10 off...making the 1TB WD10EADS $69.99! Whadya waitin' for??
Do you mean use PayPal on NEWEGG for the first time? I may have to wait as I do not think I can get it in time. We may be gone next week!

OH, I see, they want a new PayPal account.