Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
ThomC

Series 3 No Longer Supported By Amazon

Received the following email today...

Hello,

As someone who has used the Amazon application on your TiVo Series 3, we want to let you know the application will no longer be available on your TiVo after April 15, 2015. This means you won’t be able to download videos to your TiVo after this date. You can however continue to watch the movies and TV episodes you purchased and downloaded on your TiVo prior to this date by following the instructions below.

**Important - To keep your downloaded videos:

1. Download all purchased videos you want to save to your TiVo by April 15, 2015. After this date, you won't be able to download videos from Amazon on your device.

2. To make sure your downloaded videos remain saved to your device, check the "Keep Until" settings for each one. Use your remote to open TiVo Central, then go to your "Now Playing" list. Select a video, open the "Keep Until" option, and choose "Keep Until I Delete" or specify a date.

If you don’t download your purchased videos onto your TiVo Series 3 and check the "Keep Until" date for each, you won’t be able to watch them on your device after April 15, 2015.

You can also stream your purchased movies and TV episodes on hundreds of compatible devices including TiVo Roamio, Smart TVs, game consoles, iOS, Android, and Fire devices. For more information about ways to watch, go to: https://www.amazon.com/watchnow

As a TiVo Series 3 customer, you're eligible for $100 off a TiVo Roamio sold by Amazon.com so you can stream Amazon Instant Video.

You can redeem this offer on the Amazon website:
1. Go to: https://www.amazon.com/TiVo5
2. Add a qualifying TiVo Roamio device to your Cart and proceed to checkout.
3. On the "Select a Payment Method" page, enter XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX under "Gift Cards & Promotional Codes."
4. Place your order.

You'll see the promotional credit reflected in your order details. This offer is available until April 30, 2015. See the following link for the full terms and conditions:

https://www.amazon.com/TiVo5OfferTerms

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

ThomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

So much for "owning" the videos.

DRM is teh suckage.

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
So much for "owning" the videos.

DRM is teh suckage.
You still "own" these purchased videos. They are tied to your Amazon account. It's just that the Series 3 TiVo hardware won't be able to download them in the future. There are many other devices that'll remain able to play these purchases.

DRM sucks, but this change on TiVo's end doesn't take access to these videos away from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
You still "own" these purchased videos. They are tied to your Amazon account. It's just that the Series 3 TiVo hardware won't be able to download them in the future. There are many other devices that'll remain able to play these purchases.

DRM sucks, but this change on TiVo's end doesn't take access to these videos away from you.
But is this TiVo changing something, or Amazon changing something?

Who's the villain here?

Or did they team up to screw S2, S3, and S4 owners, despite there being no real technical necessity to do so?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You still own the videos. They are in your Amazon account. If you have Amazon Prime on a newer TiVo or other device, you can stream the videos from your library.

It appears they are just killing the download portion of the Amazon service, which is the only thing S3 boxes supported.

I think $45 for a Roamio is a pretty good deal.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
You still own the videos. They are in your Amazon account. If you have Amazon Prime on a newer TiVo or other device, you can stream the videos from your library.

It appears they are just killing the download portion of the Amazon service, which is the only thing S3 boxes supported.

I believe older TiVo's were the only devices that used downloading. How many downloads were being sold? Probably pretty few. I suspect most such TiVo owners already have other, better Amazon video clients.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Folks with crappier internet connections liked the benefit of downloading though. Made for a better viewing experience after the download was done. They don't have the same result with streaming (lots of buffering, etc.)

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
gespears

If somebody has a code they aren't going to use can you please PM me? I need another TiVo for my wife's exercise room but really can't afford one.

Thanks,

Gary.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
fpp777

Quote:

For those of us with a lifetime subscription, buying a Roamio is costly. I like Amazon, looks like a Roku will be the next purchase.

fpp777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpp777 View Post
For those of us with a lifetime subscription, buying a Roamio is costly. I like Amazon, looks like a Roku will be the next purchase.
When the cable company switches to MPEG-4, your TiVo HD will lose a lot more than Amazon downloads...

Old 03-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
bciocco

I got that message today. It was right on time.
I was on the fence about trying for a $99 lifetime for my TiVo HD, going with an htpc or looking for a deal on a Roamio. I figured for $45 this is a no brainer for me. Better yet, I had enough Amazon points to get it free.
I have a 1 Gig drive in the HD. I'll either move it, get a larger one for the Roamio, or just not put movies on the Roamio and use the blu ray player to access my server.

bciocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:

When the cable company switches to MPEG-4, your TiVo HD will lose a lot more than Amazon downloads...
I dont understand what you mean.
Please explain. Thank you.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
I dont understand what you mean.
Please explain. Thank you.
Some cable companies are switching their feeds from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 compression. Series 3 and older cannot record or tune MPEG-4. Some markets are only doing this with new channels. Some have moved existing channels. A very few markets have moved all channels.

Once a channel goes to MPEG-4, your Series 3 will no longer be able to receive it. The Series 4 and 5 boxes can tune these channels just fine.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
dcrowell77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Folks with crappier internet connections liked the benefit of downloading though. Made for a better viewing experience after the download was done. They don't have the same result with streaming (lots of buffering, etc.)
I have a decent internet connection and I still prefer downloads to streaming. I specifically rent movies from Amazon (vs Vudu, etc) for this feature. I get better quality with no worries about my neighbors' Netflix habits affecting my experience. I hope they don't drop downloads completely.

dcrowell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
That's true. Downloads also work better with trick play, fast forward, rewind, etc. Much better for scrubbing quickly through the timeline.

Unfortunately for those who like that, it seems like the whole world is moving to streaming from the cloud instead. Hopefully streaming UI will improve along with bandwidth speeds to support it.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #16
HerronScott

I also received this e-mail. Sorry to see another service gone from the S3 but won't really impact me as I hadn't really used it in a long time.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
bobdec01

Amazon sells the Roamio Plus for 310.00 applied the code at checkout and cost was $210 with free prime shipping. Not a bad deal except for the Service costs..

Old 03-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #18
abeagler

Huh, I've used Amazon Instant Video on my TiVo HD, but have not received an email about this. Would love one of these codes, though. Hoping the emails are going out in waves.

abeagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:26 AM   #19
rlcarter

I can think of 3 reasons off the top of my head for these new restrictive rules, none of which provide better, cheaper service or more convenience for the consumer. Like many I download because streaming results in dropped video, audio, audio / video out of synch, large blotchy patches on the video screen. so I queue content to download after 10pm when bandwidth is more available and can pause without loss of quality.

1. Growing band width utilization is forcing ISP and content providers to look for higher compression video/audio to keep costs in check.

2. Content providers are still concerned over the loop holes which exist that allow consumers to capture downloaded video for personal use, in violation of digital content laws.

3. Planned obsolescence has long been a way to force consumers into purchasing products before their useful life span has expired.

The final reason is to everyone's benefit except the consumer, so the silent conspiracy of higher revenue and profits is something every provider will agree to without any planning or collusion with other groups.

Assuming this impact 250,000 Amazon consumers, whose average annual purchases were in the $3,000 range, then a boycott of Amazon by those consumers would cost Amazon $750 million dollars. If your unhappy with the new useless rules which have no benefits for consumers vote with your pocket book. They will get that message loud and clear.

rlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #20
Sportsnut

Quote:
Some cable companies are switching their feeds from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 compression. Series 3 and older cannot record or tune MPEG-4. Some markets are only doing this with new channels. Some have moved existing channels. A very few markets have moved all channels.

Once a channel goes to MPEG-4, your Series 3 will no longer be able to receive it. The Series 4 and 5 boxes can tune these channels just fine.
Does anyone know if this is happening with Comcast anytime soon? I have a friend who I've been trying to get to buy a used Tivo HD XL off Craigslist and I don't want him to buy it and be unable to use it soon thereafter.

Sportsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #21
poppagene
User

You can still record amazon content on your tivo, if you're using playon on your windows pc and serving it to tivo using pytivo. This should continue to work on the series 3 tivos. If pytivo works on series 2 then it should work for them as well.

poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #22
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsnut View Post
Does anyone know if this is happening with Comcast anytime soon? I have a friend who I've been trying to get to buy a used Tivo HD XL off Craigslist and I don't want him to buy it and be unable to use it soon thereafter.
I haven't seen any new information on this for Comcast. They moved Augusta, GA entirely to mpg4 last October I think. If I were to get another used TiVo, I'd probably lean toward a Premiere to be safe.

Scott

Old 03-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #23
Mike Richardson

I would be a lot more upset if Netflix stopped working.

I was already kind of upset that the Amazon prime videos never worked at all on the S3, but at least it's not something that was added and then removed.

Mike Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #24
shwru980r

Amazon is firing customers who don't have the bandwidth to stream video.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #25
doconeill
Unix Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeagler View Post
Huh, I've used Amazon Instant Video on my TiVo HD, but have not received an email about this. Would love one of these codes, though. Hoping the emails are going out in waves.
Any luck? My HD drive died and I'm getting it working again, but $100 off intrigues me - but we never got such an email either, and we're prime members.

Retired:
HDR312 Standalone (128 hour, on loan)
SD-DVR80 (Zipper/160GB), DSR708 (Zipper/120GB), HDVR2 (Zipper/80GB)

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
javabird

Quote:

Is there any resource available online to find out which markets have done this?

javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeagler View Post
Hmm, I never received the email and I've still got a TivoHD registered on my Amazon account.

javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #28
Connor

Anyone have a unused code? I have 2 Series 3, and I will be upgrading them to Roamio's. I just have 1 code though. Thanks.

Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #29
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Anyone have a unused code? I have 2 Series 3, and I will be upgrading them to Roamio's. I just have 1 code though. Thanks.
I thought I read somewhere here that the code could only by the person it was sent to?

Scott

Old 04-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #30
ROMAN1

MPEG 4 the end of Series 3?

I think it was said the MPEG4 was not supported by Series 3.... Does anyone have more info on which companies are deploying MPEG 4?

ROMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote