TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
robertivo99

Need some advice from Tivo experts

My first post here, I think.

I bought a used TCD648250B with lifetime sub on eBay. I use OTA antenna input, then out to a nice Sony SD TV that has both S-video and Component video available.

I hooked up the Tivo and started setup and almost immediately said "uh-oh." The picture has what I would describe as a background, diagonal wavy effect to it. I mean, the image is essentially fairly strong and stable, lines straight, text readable, etc., but the constant wavy effect is not tolerable. I had hoped that after completing setup and going to live TV the effect would go away, but it did not.

I tried both S-video and the Component output, but it made no difference.

With my digital converter box, using S-video, the picture is superb--crisp and natural, actually better than the Tivo, discounting the wavy effect.

Any input would appreciated. (Other than, why do I still have a SD TV. Easy. Superb picture and I'm happy with it.)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by robertivo99; 01-08-2016 at 12:14 PM.
robertivo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
worachj

I would play a round with the TiVo's video settings. Set the aspect ratio to 4:3 for your standard TV and set the video output format to 480P. There's also a video smoothing options.

Try different settings under Settings=>Video

Old 01-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
robertivo99

Yeah, tried all that, too. Went through the limited settings in the TV setup as well. Thanks, though.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertivo99 View Post
I hooked up the Tivo and started setup and almost immediately said "uh-oh." The picture has what I would describe as a background, diagonal wavy effect to it. I mean, the image is essentially fairly strong and stable, lines straight, text readable, etc., but the constant wavy effect is not tolerable. I had hoped that after completing setup and going to live TV the effect would go away, but it did not.

I tried both S-video and the Component output, but it made no difference.
We had a mild case of this a few years back that turned out to be caused by capacitors failing in the power supply. They finally failed to the point where the S3 OLED was stuck in reboot mode and after I replaced the capacitors the waviness was gone.

Check out this thread on the issue and this post for the replacement parts. As our S3's and HD's age this seems to eventually hit most of them.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9131293

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-09-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
pmiranda

If it's not power supply noise I've seen similar effects from ground loops. Do you have antenna going to both TV and TiVo? Try disconnecting one.
Also, do you have any connections to any other components (ie an amplifier)?

pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
robertivo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
If it's not power supply noise I've seen similar effects from ground loops. Do you have antenna going to both TV and TiVo? Try disconnecting one.
Also, do you have any connections to any other components (ie an amplifier)?
Well, being an older SD (non-digital) TV it wouldn't do me any good to connect an antenna to it, so just to the Tivo. No other gear hooked to the Tivo. The thing is, my Channel Master converter box with S-video works perfectly. I used the same cables and everything to hook up the TV. Also, the waviness is present in the Setup displays. That's what causes me to think the antenna must not have anything to do with it. I've had VCR's hooked up in the same spot, too. Never a problem.

I have a feeling it's probably the power supply.

Thanks to everyone who has commented!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Well, being an older SD (non-digital) TV it wouldn't do me any good to connect an antenna to it, so just to the Tivo. No other gear hooked to the Tivo. The thing is, my Channel Master converter box with S-video works perfectly. I used the same cables and everything to hook up the TV. Also, the waviness is present in the Setup displays. That's what causes me to think the antenna must not have anything to do with it. I've had VCR's hooked up in the same spot, too. Never a problem.

Yeah, I'm thinking about $10 worth of replacement capacitors are in your near future.

Start reading here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #8
Series3Sub

Quote:

If you can't find a fix or do it yourself, consider sending your TiVo to Weaknees for repair. It can be a bit costly, but you they most often can fix most problems with TiVo's, and you can start enjoying your TiVo and investment.

Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
pmiranda

I can solder but I was lazy and swapped my power supply for a new/reman one from weaknees a while back. It's working fine but now the drive is tossing some errors so I've stopped using that S3. I can't quite bring myself to sell it yet since I know it just needs a new drive and I've had it forever

pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #10
shwru980r

File an item not as described complaint with Ebay.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
File an item not as described complaint with Ebay.
In fairness to the seller, the power supply might have waited until the OP first plugged it in to start giving trouble, so the seller wouldn't have had any way to know it was going to happen.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
In fairness to the seller, the power supply might have waited until the OP first plugged it in to start giving trouble, so the seller wouldn't have had any way to know it was going to happen.
Technically, the buyer has 45 days to file a claim. The power supply could fail on day 45 and the buyer would be covered.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 01-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
robertivo99

Good news

Thanks to everyone who responded. Like, pmiranda, I can solder, too (a little), but, under the circumstances, it is not something I wanted to try.

I found an eBayer who refurbishes and resells power supplies. He offered to sell me one with a return privilege if it did not solve the video problem (which he calls "shadowing").

Well, I'm very happy to say that it solved the problem! The seller provides a prepaid return label and I just send the bad p/s back to him and he gives me a $10 refund for the "core." So, in the end, the p/s costs me $80.

Actually, it won't cost me anything if the eBay seller keeps his word and refunds the cost of the p/s back to me.

So, I hooked up the component video to my Trinitron and it looks really great. I hope the Tivo lasts for a while.

Last edited by robertivo99; 01-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #14
robertivo99

So, now that I have a working Tivo, it is time to do the lifetime subscription transfer. Now, do I do it, or should I ask the previous owner to do it? I thought I read in one thread that there might be a fee it I do it, but not of the previous owner does it. Does anyone have a definitive answer on that? I'm brand new to the Tivo world, so I don't know. Thanks again.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
HerronScott

Quote:
So, now that I have a working Tivo, it is time to do the lifetime subscription transfer. Now, do I do it, or should I ask the previous owner to do it? I thought I read in one thread that there might be a fee it I do it, but not of the previous owner does it. Does anyone have a definitive answer on that? I'm brand new to the Tivo world, so I don't know. Thanks again.
No fee to do transfer lifetime service since it's linked to the TiVo. You should be able to call TiVo, tell them that you purchased a used TiVo and have them transfer it to your account since it's presumably connecting/configured for a new zip code. Have you set up an account on TiVo.com?

Scott

S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #16
robertivo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
No fee to do transfer lifetime service since it's linked to the TiVo. You should be able to call TiVo, tell them that you purchased a used TiVo and have them transfer it to your account since it's presumably connecting/configured for a new zip code. Have you set up an account on TiVo.com?

Scott
Not yet. I can go ahead and do that before the transfer?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Not yet. I can go ahead and do that before the transfer?
If you don't have an account with TiVo, you can't transfer a TiVo to that account.

But you should be able to do both at the same time.

You can probably go to tivo.com and click on active and do it all from there.

You'll need to know the TiVo's TiVo Service Number, which is on a sticker on the back and also can be seen on the System Information page in Messages & Settings, Settings...

and you'll need to give them an email address to associate with the account, as well as your street address and phone number, and of course your name.

Since you won't be having to pay them any money you shouldn't have to provide any credit card info.

There's a chance, I suppose, that you'll wind up having to call them on the phone to do this since you don't already have an account history with them and you're trying to get a TiVo previously owned by someone else acknowledged as now belonging to you, but try it online first.

This is all presupposing that you've gone through Guided Setup and the TiVo is now using your Zip Code instead of that of the previous owner. That way they can be reasonably sure you have physical possession and if you'd stolen it you'd have to be an idiot to contact them and tell them that you have physical possession.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #18
robertivo99

I gotcha. OK, I'll give it a shot.

Hey, what about energy efficiency of these things? I don't see a power button on it, so is it on all the time, or does it power down when the TV is off or anything like that?

Old 01-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #19
HerronScott

Quote:

Hey, what about energy efficiency of these things? I don't see a power button on it, so is it on all the time, or does it power down when the TV is off or anything like that?
It's on/recording all the time (think of the 30 minute buffer). If you're concerned with energy efficiency upgrade to a Roamio or Bolt.

Scott

S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
Old 01-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
robertivo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
It's on/recording all the time (think of the 30 minute buffer). If you're concerned with energy efficiency upgrade to a Roamio or Bolt.

Scott
Thanks for all your help. When I get a chance I'll plug it into my KILL A WATT and see how much juice it consumes. But, I have a feeling I can buy a lot of electricity for the cost of a lifetime subscription for a new box.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:

Except maybe if it's connected via HDMI, it doesn't even know if the TV is on or if it's even connected to one.

It runs all the time, around the clock.

It's designed to do that, and it'll probably last longer that way than turning it off every night and back on every day.

Put it on an Uninterruptable Power Supply.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #22
robertivo99

I do have an extra UPS. I'll get some batteries for it. That's a good idea. THX.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #23
robertivo99

Well, I have applied most of the suggestions here, which have been immensely helpful. I got my account transfer done via chat, no problems, no costs. I got a battery for the UPS I had on hand and installed that.

Two glo remotes came with it and neither one seems to be 100% functional--almost, but each one has its own issues. Tried resetting them but it didn't help.

I installed the Android 2.0 'Classic' app on our tablets and those work to control the Tivo. Do I understand correctly that the Series 3 does not have the ability to stream to the tablets?

Old 03-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #24
shwru980r

Quote:
Do I understand correctly that the Series 3 does not have the ability to stream to the tablets?
You could install a plex server on a PC, then install the Tivo to go plex bundle on the PC and the plex client on your tablets.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA