TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
mike700

Question Dialup discontinued for programming guide

I have a Series 3 HD and get my TV signal free via a rooftop antenna - no cable TV for me. My Series 3 was using Internet dialup to download the programming guide however TIVO is discontinuing dialup service Oct 3rd. My wife has a Smartphone with a WiFi hotspot feature via 4G T-Mobile. Anyway I can get my series 3 TIVO to connect to her Smartphone to download the TIVO programming guide? THANKS!!

mike700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
Teeps

Maybe, but you will need a wireless adapter for the TiVo.

Do you have DSL or cable internet with a router?
If so it would be far more reliable to connect tivo to the router with a ethernet cable.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
cannonz

I wondered if they were about to end dial up, 3 of my tivo's were late to update, support email stated must be on internet for update (they were) figured that's their way of pushing those on dial up to find a way to use internet.

cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike700 View Post
I have a Series 3 HD and get my TV signal free via a rooftop antenna - no cable TV for me. My Series 3 was using Internet dialup to download the programming guide however TIVO is discontinuing dialup service Oct 3rd. My wife has a Smartphone with a WiFi hotspot feature via 4G T-Mobile. Anyway I can get my series 3 TIVO to connect to her Smartphone to download the TIVO programming guide? THANKS!!
You would need to have the Tivo brand Wireless G adapter to connect to the hotspot.
I have recently experimented with a hotspot and a hotspot through my cell and they both (Roamio and S3) were successful in connecting.
If you do not have home internet, you can get a hotspot from Freedompop, service is free for 500mb monthly.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)
(OTA)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to start streaming on Roamio/Bolt!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
cannonz

You can get an additional 500 free at Freedompop (bringing total to 1GB) by adding friends, let me know if you need friends, guy I know sells them set up he can friend you all you need.

cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Rowsdower
The Final Sacrifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would need to have the Tivo brand Wireless G adapter to connect to the hotspot.
The official TiVo adapter is the only USB-based option (because the DVR lacks drivers for other USB Wi-Fi adapters), but any Ethernet-based Wi-Fi adapter (example) or Wi-Fi router with a "bridge" mode should work, provided that it supports whatever security protocol the hotspot is set up to use (ideally WPA2).

Used routers running DD-WRT or Tomato firmware (example) are affordable and generally reliable.

Rowsdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
wml1950

Mike700,

Tivo is not discontinuing dial-up for series 3 in October. You should be able to use a land line. Dial up is ending for series 1 and series 4 (premiere). I do not think Roamio or Bolt has ever had dial up. Therefore, no need to get wireless adapter for series 3.

wml1950 is offline   Reply With Quote