TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
eskovan

TiVo HDMI connected to PC monitor flashes on/off

I just got a new Roamio Plus box (my fifth TiVo!) and I moved my old Series3 (w/ WD ext disk) next to my computer so I could leave it hooked up to my network to transfer what I can to the new TiVo. After doing that I figured I could watch the non-transferable stuff on my computer monitor. My PC monitor has VGA and DVI-D inputs and I use the DVI-D with an HDMI to DVI-D cable for my PC.

But when I plug the HDMI end into my Series3 I do get a picture, but it flashes back & forth between the TiVo screen and white noise every second or so. Even so, I am able to control the Series3 so I tried every Video Output Setting, from Native to 1080i, resetting the monitor (power on/off) each time, but the picture keeps flashing. Every couple minutes it will stabilize for a few seconds but then go back to flashing (to be clear, this is just the Series3 and my PC monitor, my computer is not involved).

Anyway, being that it's a Series3 it has both RCA & RGB output jacks, so would the easiest thing be to get an RGB to DVI-D cable (do audio separate) so I can watch the non-transferred stuff at my computer? Being that it's flashing like that I assume it isn't an HDCP issue, and just an adapter cable will work? Anyone have a link to the right cable I should buy?

Thanks.

P.S.
This is my first post in quite a while, what can I say, a TiVo normally just works!!

eskovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
justen_m

First, I would try setting the Tivo output to a fixed, non-interlaced video mode. 720p. Not sure if it will affect anything, but it is a simple, quick experiment to try before trying new cables/adapters.

What are you doing for sound? (not that this would affect video, but just curious).

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

A DVI to HDMI cable is really the only way to connect those two things. As long as the monitor can handle a 1280x720 input, then 720p should work. Is this a widescreen monitor? Many 4x3 monitors won't sync right at 1280x720. Also, some older 16x10 widescreen monitors won't either, but that's uncommon.

You might be able to do component to VGA, but only if the monitor colorspace can be changed from RGB or YPbPr. VGA and component use two different color modes. If your monitor won't do that, you can buy a component video to VGA RGBHV converter, bu they aren't cheap.

You can't do component to DVI-D. The "D" means digital. Component video is analog.

Are DVI and VGA the only inputs on the monitor?

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
eskovan

For sound I just use an RCA to minijack cable and plug it into my PC's speakers. It is a 16:9 monitor but it only has VGA & DVI-D inputs. I tried 720p Fixed but it's still the same. Not gonna bother with converter boxes, be cheaper to just buy a small flatscreen TV!

Thanks for the quick advice, saved me the trouble of ordering & waiting just to have it not work.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskovan View Post
For sound I just use an RCA to minijack cable and plug it into my PC's speakers. It is a 16:9 monitor but it only has VGA & DVI-D inputs. I tried 720p Fixed but it's still the same. Not gonna bother with converter boxes, be cheaper to just buy a small flatscreen TV!

Thanks for the quick advice, saved me the trouble of ordering & waiting just to have it not work.
It crosses my mind that perhaps the TiVo is expecting but not getting a message back up that HDMI cable that all of the conditions of HDCP have been met and that you have permission to watch the TiVo's HDMI output on that display device.

Did you want to have the TiVo's output displayed in a window on your PCs' monitor (while still being able to see any PC stuff going on), or did you have in mind letting the TiVo have the monitor all to itself when watching it?

What's the brand and model number of the HDMI to DVI-D adapter that you tried that didn't work?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
telemark

Could also just be a bad cable. Hook up some other HDMI device in place of the Tivo to find out.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
eskovan

Just a quick update: Turns out it was an HDCP issue. After rebooting my old Series3 I was able to see the screen! But the moment I try to play any recorded programs I get TiVo's 'Don't have HDMI permission' message. So my PC monitor just isn't compliant.

As I said above my monitor has both DVI-D and VGA inputs, isn't VGA analog? Would an RGB to VGA cable work?

Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
telemark

Quote:
As I said above my monitor has both DVI-D and VGA inputs, isn't VGA analog? Would an RGB to VGA cable work?
Seems to exist as a box.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=7113

What's the native panel resolution on the monitor?

PS. RGB is something else, so don't go searching for RGB->VGA convertors.

Last edited by telemark; 03-22-2015 at 12:05 AM..
Old 03-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
eskovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Seems to exist as a box.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=7113

What's the native panel resolution on the monitor?

PS. RGB is something else, so don't go searching for RGB->VGA convertors.
Thanks for the info. If that box were just a little cheaper I'd get it, but I won't have much long term use for it. Still gonna see if I can just borrow a small TV from someone...

Old 03-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
poppagene
User

What about something like this? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/monopric...uId=1310945517

poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #11
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
So that says:
Quote:
This cable is intended for use with projectors that use a VGA connector for its component (YPbPr) video connection. This cable DOES NOT CONVERT VGA signals to component video or vice versa - it functions only with devices that use the VGA connector for component video.
What model monitor are we talking about anyway?

Old Today, 02:20 AM   #12
eskovan

For what it's worth my monitor is an Acer G235H.