TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
stanbrager

Arrow Channel Unavailable

We've just made the switch to Time Warner Cable (TWC) in Los Angeles. When searching through the channels we receive, I get a message on the screen from TiVo saying "Channel is temporarily unavailable...". While this message is on screen there is also blue bar on the top of the screen showing the name of the channel and the channel number as Tivo would do for any channel.

This occurs with several channels.

What's happening and what can I do about it?

Thanks;

Stan

stanbrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbrager View Post
We've just made the switch to Time Warner Cable (TWC) in Los Angeles. When searching through the channels we receive, I get a message on the screen from TiVo saying "Channel is temporarily unavailable...". While this message is on screen there is also blue bar on the top of the screen showing the name of the channel and the channel number as Tivo would do for any channel.

This occurs with several channels.

What's happening and what can I do about it?

Thanks;

Stan
"We've just made the switch to Time Warner Cable (TWC)..."

My most sincere sympathies.

This is just a guess, but perhaps those are Switched Digital Video channels, and in addition to a cable card installed in your Series 3 or newer TiVo, you also need a Tuning Adapter from TWC that connects to the TiVo by plugging into one of its USB ports, over which it is told by the TiVo that a particular SDV channel is desired, and which connects to the cable as well so that it can signal to the TWC "head end" to actually put that channel on the cable (they have more SDV channels than places for them in the cable bandwidth, so they swap them in and out as people ask for particular ones).

I briefly had some sort of set top box from TWC to play with a couple of years ago (which have cable cards and tuning adapters 'built in') and tried to tune to an SDV channel just out of curiousity several times and always got that same "temporarily unavailable" message.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

unitron is probably right -- most TWC systems use SDV and thus you need a TA (tuning adapter) for your TiVo to receive all channels. It is quite common for TWC support and service people to NOT advise you of this, and in general to know almost nothing about TiVo's -- and care less. I add my sympathies to unitron's.

A LA-area poster can confirm you have SDV or you can probably determine it from their web site. Asking a local support person is the least likely way to find out -- most of them react with "SDV, what is that?" (because as unitron said the SDV functionality is built in to TWC set-top equipment).

TA's are furnished free by TWC. Your best bet is to go to a TWC store to pick one up. Requests for them to ship you one have frequently gone into limbo.

Here is the huge TWC thread where you can find thousands of problems posted related to CableCARD and TA issues:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=316313

Your best resource for CableCARD and/or TA issues (other than this forum) is the TWC national CableCARD help desk at: 866-532-2598. Most local support is clueless although you can give them a try.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
ej42137

Yes, you need a tuning adapter in Los Angeles if you subscribe to TWC. There are some channels here that are SDV.

However, the message I see when attempting to tune an SDV channel with no tuning adapter is:

Searching for signal on: Cable In.
See 'Message & Setttings'/'Troubleshooting' for info.

in a black box with a TiVo elf on the left side. OP seems to have some other problem besides a missing tuning adapter.

Last edited by ej42137; 06-26-2015 at 02:42 PM.
ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Yes, you need a tuning adapter in Los Angeles if you subscribe to TWC. There are some channels here that are SDV.

However, the message I see when attempting to tune an SDV channel with no tuning adapter is:

Searching for signal on: Cable In.
See 'Message & Setttings'/'Troubleshooting' for info.

in a black box with a TiVo elf on the left side. OP seems to have some other problem besides a missing tuning adapter.

"Channel is temporarily unavailable..." looks more like what TWC would send down the line, which kind of implies the OP may have a tuning adapter and there's just not an available slot for TWC to put the channel on at that moment.

That's the kind of thing I got when playing with their cable box without any TiVo in the chain.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
ej42137

I was looking at TiVo's SDV information and noticed OP's message identified as being sent when you've been watching the same channel for a long time. Here is the document I found: How-Switched-Digital-Video-Impacts-Me-FAQ

OP's problem sounds to me like his local TWC head end is having a problem with SDV channels, since his problem doesn't go away when he switches channels as the website directs.

I would suggest that OP call TWC for support if I didn't know how painful and fruitless that process usually turns out to be. A more likely suggestion would be for him to relocate his family to some part of the country where FIOS is available and not yet in the process of being sold to Charter.

ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote