TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
benbarton

Component Output via RG-6 Cable

I have a Tvio Series 3 HD in my main viewing room. I'd like to find a way to use the component output to a single RG-6 cable going back into my attic for distribution to other TV's. I'd like to be able to have the same thing on in whichever room I was in. Can anyone recommend a suggestion?
benbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
wtkflhn

If you can sacrifice picture quality (big time), you can get an analog modulator from radio shack, and use that. Even with "Composite" output you would still need audio cables to run to the other TV's. I had a recent problem like that. I had and S2DT that i needed to record from my cband satellite dish. There was no way to hook my dish to the unit as it didn't have audio/video in jacks that worked. I was surprised that the modulator did capture the widescreen format and pass it thru to the TIVO. But, to be sure, it isn't HD. But it does work.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
cannonz

Not RG6 but cat5/6 1 for SD 2 lines for HDMI, will also give you remote control on other TV's. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-AV-...item339a26af12 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-30M-HDMI...item4addb7046e available for one additional TV or multiple.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
pmiranda

I don't remember where I got it anymore, but I found a C labs modulator that brings in composite (not component) video plus stereo audio and modulates it onto any channel you choose. I set it for channel 77 above the analog cable channels. That way I get the regular 70 or so analog channels plus my "TiVo channel" on all the other TVs in the house. The house already had an amplifier for driving all the TVs.
I installed a notch filter to remove channels 76-78 (Or something like that) from the incoming cable, and hooked up the modulator output and the notch filter output to a normal splitter (they work both ways unless specifically designed not to), and then drove the amplifier with that.
I don't have a good solution for controlling TiVo, other than the app on my phone.
If you have multiple TiVos or cable boxes you can get a multichannel modulator, which range in price considerably from reasonable all the way up to the dozens of channels used by hotels. I imagine the HD ones are getting reasonable now as well but I haven't looked.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
I don't remember where I got it anymore, but I found a C labs modulator that brings in composite (not component) video plus stereo audio and modulates it onto any channel you choose. I set it for channel 77 above the analog cable channels. That way I get the regular 70 or so analog channels plus my "TiVo channel" on all the other TVs in the house. The house already had an amplifier for driving all the TVs.
I installed a notch filter to remove channels 76-78 (Or something like that) from the incoming cable, and hooked up the modulator output and the notch filter output to a normal splitter (they work both ways unless specifically designed not to), and then drove the amplifier with that.
I don't have a good solution for controlling TiVo, other than the app on my phone.
If you have multiple TiVos or cable boxes you can get a multichannel modulator, which range in price considerably from reasonable all the way up to the dozens of channels used by hotels. I imagine the HD ones are getting reasonable now as well but I haven't looked.
Those are called agile modulators Channel plus and Channel vision brand ones can be found cheap on ebay for SD, HD ones are still very expensive. Could control Tivo with a Powermid if using modulator and some modulators have IR control as well with IR engine.

Last edited by cannonz : 12-10-2014 at 01:31 PM.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote