TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
mbundrick

Question Missing sound effects?

I've had an S1, then an S2 for many years. I just got a TiVo HD last week and got the CCs installed on Saturday. Last night I sat down to watch my very first recorded program on it and noticed something very strange - when I hit FF there was no "bloop" sound effects. I checked and they are there for the menu selection sounds. Have they removed these effects on the FF/RW? I miss them!
mbundrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbundrick
I've had an S1, then an S2 for many years. I just got a TiVo HD last week and got the CCs installed on Saturday. Last night I sat down to watch my very first recorded program on it and noticed something very strange - when I hit FF there was no "bloop" sound effects. I checked and they are there for the menu selection sounds. Have they removed these effects on the FF/RW? I miss them!
I think they don't work via Dolby Digital or something like that.
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
demon
BURNINATOR

If you're watching a program with Dolby Digital audio (digital OTA and digital cable programming both fall into this category), then you won't ge any of the TiVo sound effects. Unfortunately TiVo found it not feasible (or at least not affordable) to mix them into the Dolby Digital audio streams. You can downconvert to PCM, but that'll be stereo only - even if you're connected via HDMI, the TiVo doesn't do multichannel PCM via its HDMI interface, so you won't get the full benefit of Dolby Digital 5.1 audio if you have a surround system.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
mbundrick

That would be the issue then. Thank you!!

Oh well, no more bloop-bloop-bloop for me. I'll just have to make my own little sound effects and annoy my fiance.
mbundrick is offline   Reply With Quote