Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #301
jgerry
save vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcamille
Can anyone verify if the "all video and backgrounds" vanishes bug has been fixed with 9.2? What i am referring to is the dreaded black screen where all you get is the TiVo menus, no video on cable channels and no playback on now playing list. Only way to rectify is a reboot.

I am not sure if that is what people are referring to when they say the menu bug is fixed.

Thanks
I've got this bug too. I'm sitting here dealing with it right now actually. It's happened to me once before already. Reboot fixed the issue. Right now my TiVo is recording and I don't want to reboot it until it's done. I'm curious to see if the current recording will be playable.

Anyone have updates on this issue, or any more info? I haven't been able to find any info in other threads on this. Is it cablecard related? I have a single M card, from Comcast.

EDIT: I just found a thread on this issue. Seems the key word to search for was "background".

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ght=background
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #302
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry
I've got this bug too. I'm sitting here dealing with it right now actually. It's happened to me once before already. Reboot fixed the issue. Right now my TiVo is recording and I don't want to reboot it until it's done. I'm curious to see if the current recording will be playable.

Anyone have updates on this issue, or any more info? I haven't been able to find any info in other threads on this. Is it cablecard related? I have a single M card, from Comcast.
This issue seems to be fixed in 9.2, but 9.2 is still new so we can't be sure yet.

I've seen this under the public 9.1 release but not under 9.2.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #303
LisaD

I have no 30 second skip unless I'm doing it wrong. I just got this Saturday and post 9.2 is the first time I tried to program it. I heard the 3 good tones but when I hit the forward or advance - it jumps to the end of the show.
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #304
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaD
I have no 30 second skip unless I'm doing it wrong. I just got this Saturday and post 9.2 is the first time I tried to program it. I heard the 3 good tones but when I hit the forward or advance - it jumps to the end of the show.
Did you do a restart yet? Try that, and then re-enter the code SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-30-SELECT Do this during a show you have previously recorded for best results. That oughta fix it.

The good news is, with 9.1 onward you never have to enter the code again. It's non-volatile now. The bad news is that 9.1 introduced a bug into 30SS so that it doesn't work as well as it used to. Still works though, you just have to get the code to stick.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:04 AM   #305
LisaD

Bareyb - Nice to hear there's hope. I restarted and will try again in the morning. TY
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:33 AM   #306
TiVoPO

Angry expensive mistake or have a little faith???

I have had a S3 for about a month now. I have had a S2 for years. I was waiting for the MRV and TiVo Desktop features. Both turn out to have limited use to me, I find, because Cox is blocking most channels from downloading, and my other TiVo is a S2 version.

But I have to double record everything because the S3 unit is experiencing the reliability issues described in this thread. I didn't even realize it wasn't working until one day I looked at a channel in the process of recording. It was grey. I talked to TiVo customer support two times for about an hour regarding this. I was also freaking out a little about the switched digital video that will be going into effect in the next couple of months here in Phoenix. This is supposedly a super high priority for them.

Anyway, I have experienced numerous failed to record, and I have the 9.2a software. I also have seen some weird things. I am currently recording Tin Man now. When I went to look at it shortly after it started the screen was grey. I also am recording it on the other TiVo so I didn't worry about it until the closed caption appeared on the S3 screen. I couldn't see or hear the program but could see the CC?? So I blipped back to the menu and went in thought the main menu, and it finally started playing. This is a first.

I don't use the 30 second skip. But I have notice that the 8 second rewind does goofy things like take you all the way to the end of the show you are watching. It has also forgotten the resume place from a show I had previously started and was returning to watch.

And I experience serious pixilization/ cubism effect on high action sequences. I was blaming Cox, but am I reading correctly that the TiVo is causing this? I guess I could hook up a high def STB and see if it has the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.
TiVoPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #307
bweeston

Dropped Channels

I got my TivoHD on November 23rd. I powered it up and forced it to download the firmware update people were talking about. Mine ended up being 9.2a. That update allowed me to connect the Tivo approved eSata My DVR Expander. Nothing different since then. After getting my cablecard installed on November 28th, I have come home after work to find only my basic cable lineup viewable. Rebooting brought all of my premium channels back but I had missed several recordings that I had scheduled on-line. The next day it happened again, so I called Tivo support. They immediately went to the cablecard menu to show me that the "failed to load" messages were an indication that the cablecards were faulty. I called Cox and they did some testing from their end and sensed that the cablecards were not responding correctly. This was from the current state of the TivoHD where nothing but basic cable was being display. Tonight I have a service appointment with Cox to replace the multistream cablecard. I hope that really is the problem, because trying to deal with two different companies to get reliable broadcast reception so I can record will be a big pain in the butt.
bweeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #308
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweeston View Post
I called Cox and they did some testing from their end and sensed that the cablecards were not responding correctly.
That's just BS. There is no way to test it remotely because there is no signal sent from the TiVo back to Cox.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #309
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
That's just BS. There is no way to test it remotely because there is no signal sent from the TiVo back to Cox.
I'm not certain about that. I originally thought so, but got corrected by somebody who should know (I've forgotten who). There's nothing sent back from the TiVo software (it's one-way), but the cablecards themselves are two-way and can reply to a signal from the head end. Whether they do on any particular franchise is evidently up to the franchise.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #310
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
the cablecards themselves are two-way and can reply to a signal from the head end.
Based on what I understand (which could be wrong), the TiVo hardware does not have a transmitter, so there is no signal path from the CableCard back to the headend.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #311
c3
TiVoholic

http://www.opencable.com/primer/cablecard_primer.html

"Products built to the Plug & Play or Digital Cable Ready (DCR) FCC requirements are unidirectional only, and do not include these transmitters and are unable to support two-way services."
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #312
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
http://www.opencable.com/primer/cablecard_primer.html

"Products built to the Plug & Play or Digital Cable Ready (DCR) FCC requirements are unidirectional only, and do not include these transmitters and are unable to support two-way services."
I'll see if I can find the messages. There are several different layers of communication going on here, and I can very easily imagine that there is two-way communication on a low layer and only one-way communication on a higher layer.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #313
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I got my TivoHD on November 23rd. I powered it up and forced it to download the firmware update people were talking about. Mine ended up being 9.2a. That update allowed me to connect the Tivo approved eSata My DVR Expander. Nothing different since then. After getting my cablecard installed on November 28th, I have come home after work to find only my basic cable lineup viewable. Rebooting brought all of my premium channels back but I had missed several recordings that I had scheduled on-line. The next day it happened again, so I called Tivo support. They immediately went to the cablecard menu to show me that the "failed to load" messages were an indication that the cablecards were faulty. I called Cox and they did some testing from their end and sensed that the cablecards were not responding correctly. This was from the current state of the TivoHD where nothing but basic cable was being display. Tonight I have a service appointment with Cox to replace the multistream cablecard. I hope that really is the problem, because trying to deal with two different companies to get reliable broadcast reception so I can record will be a big pain in the butt.
I have seen the 'failed to load' message before. It was solved with a reboot of the TiVo.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #314
SoonerOrLater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcamille View Post
Can anyone verify if the "all video and backgrounds" vanishes bug has been fixed with 9.2? What i am referring to is the dreaded black screen where all you get is the TiVo menus, no video on cable channels and no playback on now playing list. Only way to rectify is a reboot.

I am not sure if that is what people are referring to when they say the menu bug is fixed.

Thanks
I have the same problem on a new Tivo HD DVR (652-0001-8032 batch) with the new update 9.2a-01-2-652.

--------------------
TiVo user since 2000
Current setup:
* TiVo HD DVR v9.2a
* M-Card from Time Warner Cable (California)
* HDMI out @1080i fixed

Last edited by SoonerOrLater : 12-08-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: signature
SoonerOrLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #315
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I'll see if I can find the messages. There are several different layers of communication going on here, and I can very easily imagine that there is two-way communication on a low layer and only one-way communication on a higher layer.
As I understand it, the cablecards are happy to talk two-way protocols, but they depend on the host to physically have the hardware to transmit the signal upstream on the cable. And current one-way devices like the S3 TiVo don't have that hardware. That is what the "tuning resolver" for SDV provides. Cable company set-top boxes have this hardware, so they can conduct a two-way conversation with the head end, but there is no way for the head end to know anything about the cable card state in a TiVo. All the head end can do is blindly send commands to the cable card, and a human looking at the TV screen attached to the TiVo has to provide the upstream communication.

Don't cable cards just take the digital output from the tuners, and do the appropriate transformations on it? I don't think that they have any physical connection to the cable to enable them to send their own signal upstream without the host's help.

Last edited by CharlesH : 12-08-2007 at 04:55 PM.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 PM   #316
bweeston

Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
I have seen the 'failed to load' message before. It was solved with a reboot of the TiVo.
Yes. It could be fixed with a reboot. However, I was having to reboot every evening when I came home from work.

There's another thread talking about vanishing video and audio. I had recently switched from component video and optical audio to HDMI video/audio. Once I was on an HDMI connection, I started experiencing the lost of all channels except the basic over night or the next morning. I believe this was occuring because I had turned off my TV (connected by HDMI) and my receiver (the middleman for my HDMI from Tivo to TV).

I went back to component and optical connections and have gone all day without experiencing any channel losses. I believe there is something in the HDMI circuitry that interferes with the cablecard's communication with my cable provider's equipment once the HDMI link is broken.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #317
bweeston

Only Component Video and Optical Audio Work Consistently

Quote:
Yes. It could be fixed with a reboot. However, I was having to reboot every evening when I came home from work.

There's another thread talking about vanishing video and audio. I had recently switched from component video and optical audio to HDMI video/audio. Once I was on an HDMI connection, I started experiencing the lost of all channels except the basic over night or the next morning. I believe this was occuring because I had turned off my TV (connected by HDMI) and my receiver (the middleman for my HDMI from Tivo to TV).

I went back to component and optical connections and have gone all day without experiencing any channel losses. I believe there is something in the HDMI circuitry that interferes with the cablecard's communication with my cable provider's equipment once the HDMI link is broken.
I cancelled my Cox trouble ticket. Two days in a row without losing any channels after turning off my TV and receiver. Of course I'm still using component video and optical audio. My problems began after switching to HDMI connections for my TivoHD. I'm pretty close to convinced the HDMI functionality of the TivoHD is somehow interlinked to or interfering with the cablecard bus. The software that manages a broken HDMI link (once the TV is turned off) seems to also send instructions to the cablecard bus to either disable the bus or disrupt communication on the bus for anything that requires decryption (like premium channels).
Old 12-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #318
richsadams

Quote:
I cancelled my Cox trouble ticket. Two days in a row without losing any channels after turning off my TV and receiver. Of course I'm still using component video and optical audio. My problems began after switching to HDMI connections for my TivoHD. I'm pretty close to convinced the HDMI functionality of the TivoHD is somehow interlinked to or interfering with the cablecard bus. The software that manages a broken HDMI link (once the TV is turned off) seems to also send instructions to the cablecard bus to either disable the bus or disrupt communication on the bus for anything that requires decryption (like premium channels).
The problem sounds more like an HDCP (content protection for digital media) handshake issue. The signal/link which is carried by the HDMI cable can be broken by turning off some components and not re-established when you turn them back on. If the HDCP handshake is not re-established by the component there's nothing TiVo can do to correct that. Rebooting TiVo simply causes a new connection and resets the HDCP handshake.

Unless you really need HDMI, your component video connection (which doesn't carry the HDCP signal) and an optical (TOSlink) audio connection should serve you very well.

Here's a link to a good article on the subject:

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?

Here's a link to a very good article about HDMI and why it is or isn't always the best choice:

Connecting A Home Theater - HDMI

We have both HDMI and Component out from TiVo directly to our HD LCD TV and optical audio to our HT. Just for fun I switch between HDMI and Component now and then just to see if there's a difference...at this point it’s barely noticeable either way.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:20 PM   #319
leeherman

I had HDCP related problems with my old SA 8300HD

I used to use a ReplayTV with my SA 8300HD DVR/cable box.

I would use the ReplayTV to record SD stuff and would only record HD stuff on the SA box.

My initial setup had the cable box going HDMI to the TV. I'd get a message (don't remember exactly) implying HDCP issues when the TV was off.

At a later point I upgraded my A/V receiver to an HDMI unit, connected the cable box and TV to it. Once I did that, the receiver satisfied the cable box HDCP handshake, even when off, and I never had the HDCP error again.

My S3 now replaces the ReplayTV AND SA 8300HD and I have no problems with HDCP issues. It's connected HDMI to the receiver.

Hope this helps!
leeherman is online now   Reply With Quote