TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
dslunceford

If you set up cable cards on one HDT, can you pop them in another?

If you set up cablecards in an HD TiVo, but need to swap out the actual TiVo box for another HD Tivo, can you simply plug and play the cards, or will you have to go through full setup on the new box (including calling in info to your provider, in this case, VZ FiOS)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
demon
BURNINATOR

That depends on how your provider is using their head-end gear. Some actually fully pair them, which would prevent the cards from working in any other device. However, it seems there are plenty of providers who keep the pairing info *on file*, but don't actually lock the cards to the host device. You can pull the cards and try, but it may not work depending on your provider's procedures. If they don't work, you'll have to call up your provider and see if (a) you can just call in the new pairing information (which would be preferred), or (b) you can have a technician visit scheduled.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

FIOS pairs the cards so they won't work in another TiVoHD until the tech installs them properly. When I had two cards moved recently from a TiVoHD to a Series 3 the Fios tech first had to remove the cards from my account and then add them again before going through the normal CC installation.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
FIOS pairs the cards so they won't work in another TiVoHD until the tech installs them properly. When I had two cards moved recently from a TiVoHD to a Series 3 the Fios tech first had to remove the cards from my account and then add them again before going through the normal CC installation.
So you had to schedule a service visit with FiOS?, you couldn't self-install and call in the info?

I may be returning a unit that has the gray screen problem, and wanted to just swap out and call in info without having a truck roll....

Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
So you had to schedule a service visit with FiOS?, you couldn't self-install and call in the info?

I may be returning a unit that has the gray screen problem, and wanted to just swap out and call in info without having a truck roll....

FIOS policy is to have a truck roll for cable card installations. The two people I know that were initially told they could do a self install was later called and told they needed a truck roll. The last FIOS tech I had here was the one that told me it is their policy to do a truck roll for CC installation.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
litkaj

Quote:
If they paired the cards to your THD then that was a local thing because they don't do it here (PA) and both the field techs and the Fiber Solutions phone reps admit that they activate but don't pair.

litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by litkaj View Post
If they paired the cards to your THD then that was a local thing because they don't do it here (PA) and both the field techs and the Fiber Solutions phone reps admit that they activate but don't pair.
I guess it's just my area. They definitely got the info generated from the cable cards that is specific to the box/CC combo. And the cards didn't work properly until the info was entered. It would be nice if they didn't pair them here, especially with the truck roll rate going up to $80 in January. $80 for a cable card install is an outrageous price.
ANd when they get the multistream cards I'll have to wait to get them until the S3 can use them. If I'm going to have to pay $80, it won't be until I'm able to replace all 8 cable cards with 4 multistream cards.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Gregor

Quote:
I guess it's just my area. They definitely got the info generated from the cable cards that is specific to the box/CC combo. And the cards didn't work properly until the info was entered. It would be nice if they didn't pair them here, especially with the truck roll rate going up to $80 in January. $80 for a cable card install is an outrageous price.
ANd when they get the multistream cards I'll have to wait to get them until the S3 can use them. If I'm going to have to pay $80, it won't be until I'm able to replace all 8 cable cards with 4 multistream cards.
The S3 can use multistream cards now. It just needs 2 of them.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 01:31 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
The S3 can use multistream cards now. It just needs 2 of them.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
litkaj

Quote:
Well, they get all of the info, they just don't lock the cards to the boxes here. I assume they will eventually, probably when they start rolling out STBs with CCs in them.

litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
alexandchau

FYI-
I just swapped boxes myself yesterday from a Tivo HD to a Tivo Series 3 and it works just fine with the same cable cards. I have Verizon FiOS and live in Northern VA.
alexandchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandchau View Post
FYI-
I just swapped boxes myself yesterday from a Tivo HD to a Tivo Series 3 and it works just fine with the same cable cards. I have Verizon FiOS and live in Northern VA.
Interesting....I ask because I recently bought two THDs and then won a THD in a TiVo contest. I was going to return one of the purchased THDs to Amazon (I'm assuming I have to return the same box/SN I purchased from them -- or perhaps they don't track?)

Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandchau View Post
FYI-
So I'm getting ready to do this this weekend; although this box hasn't exhibited the gray screen anymore, I do need to switch out to return actual product I bought from Amazon....do I simply follow the typical CC install instructions, just popping card from Slot 1 in the old THD to the same slot in the new THD and then the same with card from slot 2?

If it doesn't work (ie., it's paired like mentioned earlier), can I just put the cards back in the old THD after removing them, and they'll work until I can get a truck roll out to switch them/re-pair to the new THD box?