TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
adam013

No Digital Audio HD w/Fios Cable Cards

I got a new HD box to replace my 7 year old series 1 (with original lifetime service-woo hoo). Connected with 2 Fios Cable cards. Had some issues with getting it to pass digital PCM or Dolby 5.1 to my Bose through the optical cable. Called Bose and got a softare upgrade. All worked fine for about a month. Now all I get is analog signal. No digital audio at all, not even PCM let alone Dolby 5.1

Tested the Bose by hooking up a DVD player with optical and Bose plays digital fine. Called Verizon and tested the cable cards and all seems to work fine. Got a new optical cable and still does not pass digital audio.

Any way to test the audio output on the TivoHD? Am I going to have to return the box and lose all my recorded programs? Any help would be great!
adam013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
demon
BURNINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam013 View Post
I got a new HD box to replace my 7 year old series 1 (with original lifetime service-woo hoo). Connected with 2 Fios Cable cards. Had some issues with getting it to pass digital PCM or Dolby 5.1 to my Bose through the optical cable. Called Bose and got a softare upgrade. All worked fine for about a month. Now all I get is analog signal. No digital audio at all, not even PCM let alone Dolby 5.1
Do you have both optical digital audio *and* analog audio connected? Perhaps it's getting confused by that - you should really only hook one up, or the other, both are *never* necessary and only serve to clutter and confuse.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
bkdtv

Many cheaper A/V receivers and HTIBs prioritize analog input over digital input, so you want to make sure you disconnect those analog cables as demon says. Otherwise, you can't get digital audio.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
adam013

Originally I only had the optical cable hooked up but when I had problems TiVo support "insisted" that I had to have both analog and digital.

I was getting the digital signal for a while but then it dropped. I'll try just the optical cable and let you know.

Thanks demon
Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
adam013

Tried disconnecting the analog cables but got no sound at all. Seems that there is something wrong with the connection.

Any ideas as to how I can test the optical cable?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
jrm01

On many Bose systems they have to have the digital optical connection reassigned after they lose power. Was it disconnected recently, or had a power outage. If so, you may need to go into it's setup and reassign the digital optical input.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally I only had the optical cable hooked up but when I had problems TiVo support "insisted" that I had to have both analog and digital.
Weird. My S3's audio has only ever been hooked up via optical. Never hooked up the analog outputs. Works great with my Sony receiver; I get 5.1 output from some OTA HD and some FiOS-originated HD.

(I assume you've found the preferences setting which lets you downgrade the digital audio output to stereo PCM and are sure it's off..)
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
adam013

Sommerfield - Yea. Checked that and it is set correctly. Trying to think of a way to check the output from the optical connector without actually getting a cable box or another receiver.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
jrm01

Did you check the Bose setup to be sure the optical is still assigned to the proper input. As I said before, Bose has a tendency to forget the assignment on the optical everytime it is powered off.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #10
adam013

jrm01 - yes. Double checked that again but still correct at cbltv.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
adam013

Problem Solved

To all - Finally resolved the problem by purchasinng another optical cable. All works fine now and I get the Digital sound.

Seems the $55 cable I bought at Best Buy (dear God, why do I still shop there?) was bad. I feel so foolish. Should have known better and just gone out and gotten another cable first! Next time I'll know better.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Everyone on this board isvery helpful and I really appreciate the time and effort.

Last edited by adam013 : 12-08-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #12
Generic
Now in Dolby Digital

Quote:
Seems the $55 cable I bought at Best Buy (dear God, why do I still shop there?) was bad. I feel so foolish. Should have known better and just gone out and gotten another cable first! Next time I'll know better.
$55? What a rip off. Last week I received my S3 and needed a DVI to HDMI cable so I went to http://www.monoprice.com. I paid less then $5 where if I were to purchase it from Best Buy or other outlets, it would have been around $35. Your audio cable would have been under $5 also.
Generic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

The cable is one of the first things to check. It can save many hours of trouble shooting by trying a different cable.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
adam013

Aaronwt. I did check the cable first. Replaced the cable with a new one but it was bad. Once I got a 2nd cable everything worked out fine.

Good to see about a cable website. I did not knwo they were so cheap. When you buy retail I guess you have to pay 1000% more!