TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #151
Robo1234

network blow out

good thought thank you ......Tried static ip on all network computers runs better but seems to blow out after playing cut to cut often maybe a thread problem to many open or left open could be a clean up problem who knows but really woud be nice if they could get the thing running stable.....they should extend the trial till the bugs are killed a bit more so more users will endure the pain and supply info

Last edited by Robo1234 : 11-21-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Robo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #152
shady
We have chickens!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstatman View Post
Can you private message me what logon you're using? I'll check to see if our servers are doing the right thing.
Thanks for sorting this out for me

When I got back last night, everything was working again
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #153
okarim

Is it possible to select an album from the screen saver?

It seems many users are unhappy with the current Rhapsody on Tivo screen saver and would prefer the "Now Playing" info to show instead.

Personally, I love the current version since it reminds me of all the great stuff I have saved in my library over the years. Quite often I will see an album in the screen saver and want to switch to it. Is there currently a way to begin playing an album directly from the screen saver or open it in the guide?
okarim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #154
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I've just started playing with this, WOW, awesome. I've never used Rhapsody.

I think I'm in, I'll pay the monthly fee.

Some people have mentioned $12/mo? Isn't it $15? Is there a special deal?:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:29 PM   #155
heidismiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
I've just started playing with this, WOW, awesome. I've never used Rhapsody.

I think I'm in, I'll pay the monthly fee.

Some people have mentioned $12/mo? Isn't it $15? Is there a special deal?:
Should be $12. I think the $15 is for "Rhapsody to Go," for portable devices.

TiVo S3
TiVo HD
heidismiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #156
sstatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by okarim View Post
Is there currently a way to begin playing an album directly from the screen saver or open it in the guide?
I don't think there is, currently. Maybe the Tivo guys will add it, if it's possible.
sstatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #157
Sebaztian

I would just like to add that I'm in the last couple of days of my 30 day trial. I really love the idea of Rhapsody on TiVo. I've never used the service before, but many times in the last month a band or song would come up in conversation and we could just zip right to it. I've found quite a few new artists that I enjoy, whose albums I will probably end up buying now that my trial is over.

Why, if I enjoy it so much would I buy albums instead of using that money to continue a subscription you may ask? Because like many in this thread, Rhapsody fails with a service error or exception <i>every time I use it.</i> Every time. I've read the posts that say Rhapsody knows what the problem is and is rolling out a fix, but still every time I have used it over my 30 day trial it has been for less than 20 total minutes of listening and always fails in a way which requires a reboot of my TiVo to regain use of my home network.

The details of the issues are documented by others in this thread, so I won't repeat them here for fear of sounding too negative. The only point I'm trying to make is that A) essentially, we users are still beta testing this software and B) trial memberships are supposed to entice you to purchase a service. I may very well have been enticed, but the service -- in my limited experience-- performed so poorly that I can't imagine paying for it.

If you want my feedback, I think that once the service is stable (and not a day sooner) then there should be a complete do-over of 30 day trials. You have convinced me of the idea but not the implementation and I would be willing to give it another shot. I'm sure others feel the same way.
Sebaztian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #158
shady
We have chickens!

I had issues last night on one of my TiVo's, I kept getting error --- unable to check status, or something like that half way through an album, and after that I couldn't play anything.

The really annoying thing was that it happened during my workout, and the last thing I want to do while running on the treadmill is to mess around with getting it working. It's bad enough that when this happens it doesn't save the playlist so there is no easy way to carry on where you left off.

I've been a real supporter of Rhapsody and from the trial I became a paying customer, but I can understand the previous poster's point of view. This stuff has to be rock solid, because there is a point where it becomes more trouble than it's worth.

I was lucky during the trial that I didn't experience too many problems, but last night, there was definately swearing!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #159
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
I had issues last night on one of my TiVo's, I kept getting error --- unable to check status, or something like that half way through an album, and after that I couldn't play anything.

The really annoying thing was that it happened during my workout, and the last thing I want to do while running on the treadmill is to mess around with getting it working. It's bad enough that when this happens it doesn't save the playlist so there is no easy way to carry on where you left off.

I've been a real supporter of Rhapsody and from the trial I became a paying customer, but I can understand the previous poster's point of view. This stuff has to be rock solid, because there is a point where it becomes more trouble than it's worth.

I was lucky during the trial that I didn't experience too many problems, but last night, there was definately swearing!
I've had the same experiences as Sebaztian and you, only I've had it go down, taking the network with it, in front of company who hate their cable dvr. That was not a great selling point for a TiVo or the Rhapsody service.

Real and TiVo: I'd really like to get the service, but the issues persisted throughout the 30-day trial. Just fix it enough not to crash and burn, and to keep the music playing as long as the network is available and you've got me as a happy customer. I'd deal with all the interface flaws and missing features others have reported, for just those two improvements. Once the trial ran out, I kept waiting for "bad" and "ugly" reports to dry up, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I really do want to subscribe to this service, the price more than suits my music consuming habits(since I'm almost always at my pc or within listening range of the tivo) and it gives my wife a chance to try out new music she might want to purchase for her ipod.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #160
ufo4sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
I've had the same experiences as Sebaztian and you, only I've had it go down, taking the network with it, in front of company who hate their cable dvr. That was not a great selling point for a TiVo or the Rhapsody service.

Real and TiVo: I'd really like to get the service, but the issues persisted throughout the 30-day trial. Just fix it enough not to crash and burn, and to keep the music playing as long as the network is available and you've got me as a happy customer. I'd deal with all the interface flaws and missing features others have reported, for just those two improvements. Once the trial ran out, I kept waiting for "bad" and "ugly" reports to dry up, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I really do want to subscribe to this service, the price more than suits my music consuming habits(since I'm almost always at my pc or within listening range of the tivo) and it gives my wife a chance to try out new music she might want to purchase for her ipod.
+1000
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #161
shady
We have chickens!

Thumbs down

It's broken again tonight!

I got half way through the 5th random track in my library and the music just stopped. I could still use the interface to find other tracks etc. but as soon as I tried to play any of them, it just sticks on "Loading"
Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #162
BarryD99

>I really do want to subscribe to this service, the price more than suits my music consuming habits(since I'm almost always at my pc or within listening range of the tivo) and it gives my wife a chance to try out new music she might want to purchase for her ipod.>

For those of you that really enjoy the concept, a short term workaround might be to use rhapsody from your pc or laptop. Obviously you will have to have a way to connect your computer to your audio system(I've been doing this for years). There are bunches of ways to do that. In this way you can enjoy the service and cancel at any time if the Tivo problems aren't solved.
BarryD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #163
RickNY

Does anyone else experience huge delays/failures when accessing their Rhapsody library through the Tivo? Im getting stuck with "Please Wait..." on the screen until it eventually times out and returns me to live tv.. Occasionally it will respond before that, but when it does, continuing actions are slow (skipping tracks, etc). Tivo has been rebooted, problem persists.. Rhapsody desktop client is behaving properly, so network can be ruled out. Also, I can access streamed content that isnt in my library just fine (featured albums, etc)
RickNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #164
tommy275

is TiVo kidding with this? I've never dealt with such an unstable application in all my life. I asked my wife if she thinks Tom Rogers pulls up the Rhapsody app and says "isn't this great?"

i love rhapsody and i love tivo, but i can't imagine a new user experiencing this application (and TiVo's sluggishness in general) and not feeling that they just bought a piece of crap.
tommy275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #165
Adam1115
20,000!!!

So now I'm pissed.

I went to the link it told me because my trial is up. I put in my credit card. They charged me.

Now I get this stupid error. Maybe they could at least proofread the errors?

"TiVo application doesn't supported for this account."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Adam1115 : 12-09-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #166
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Ok, got back in. Apparently it cleared all of my playlists and saved channels after converting from the trial to the full membership.

I had some stuff I really wanted to keep in there! TIVO DON'T YOU TEST THIS STUFF???

Old 12-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #167
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
Ok, got back in. Apparently it cleared all of my playlists and saved channels after converting from the trial to the full membership.

I had some stuff I really wanted to keep in there! TIVO DON'T YOU TEST THIS STUFF???
I didn't expect anything to be carried over to my new account after the trial ended. After all, it's a new account
Old 12-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #168
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
I didn't expect anything to be carried over to my new account after the trial ended. After all, it's a new account
No it isn't, I went to the link my tivo told me to, clicked existing member, and put in the same username and password I used for the trial.

Why would it be a new account?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 AM   #169
BarryD99

The sort of good.

For what it's worth, I think the platform is becoming more stable as time goes by.

The really good.

I showed a friend Rhapsody on Saturday and he introduced me to three new (to me) artists. In a matter of minutes, I had five new albums to listen to. On Sunday, I added six albums to my holiday play list.

Eleven new albums (retail cost of over $125) for the weekend, acquired almost instantly without leaving my couch.

To me, thats the potential of Rhapsody.
BarryD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #170
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
No it isn't, I went to the link my tivo told me to, clicked existing member, and put in the same username and password I used for the trial.

Why would it be a new account?
They must have changed things. I signed up for the trial on day 1, and at that time you never got a password, just a very long computer generated username. You could only use that account on the tivo (because you didn't know the password)
Old 12-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #171
sstatman

If you use the 30 day Tivo trial (which shouldn't expose any logon or password information to you) and then upgrade to a full subscription account, it should migrate your play history, ratings, playlists, and library to the full account.

We're also aware of some of the library performance issues; most of those are just interface implementation problems that will go away over time. It would be a good idea to be specific about any problems you're seeing, though, so that we can figure out if you're just encountering bad design (the way playlists are loaded up on the Tivo app is not implemented well in the layer between the UI and the Rhapsody service) or an actual bug.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #172
tommy275

Quote:
If you use the 30 day Tivo trial (which shouldn't expose any logon or password information to you) and then upgrade to a full subscription account, it should migrate your play history, ratings, playlists, and library to the full account.

We're also aware of some of the library performance issues; most of those are just interface implementation problems that will go away over time. It would be a good idea to be specific about any problems you're seeing, though, so that we can figure out if you're just encountering bad design (the way playlists are loaded up on the Tivo app is not implemented well in the layer between the UI and the Rhapsody service) or an actual bug.
i assume being stuck forever on "please wait..." and "loading..." would both fall under the "bug" umbrella?

i'm looking forward to using the interface more to be able to come up with actual design issues, rather than broken app issues. but as it is now, getting stuck for 10, 15 minutes, going out and back in, just isn't worth my time. TiVo could pay someone whose time is worth a lot less than mine to uncover these issues. my guess is they didn't pay anyone.

i'd also like to have the "shuffle" option stick, so i don't have to go in and set it every time i run the app.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #173
sstatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy275 View Post
i assume being stuck forever on "please wait..." and "loading..." would both fall under the "bug" umbrella?

i'm looking forward to using the interface more to be able to come up with actual design issues, rather than broken app issues. but as it is now, getting stuck for 10, 15 minutes, going out and back in, just isn't worth my time. TiVo could pay someone whose time is worth a lot less than mine to uncover these issues. my guess is they didn't pay anyone.

i'd also like to have the "shuffle" option stick, so i don't have to go in and set it every time i run the app.
Under what circumstances do you get the very long "please wait..." and "loading..." messages?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #174
PaJo

Still too buggy on our S2DT, still need to reboot almost every time . I also found many errors in music itself, such as Colby Colliat being #1 Key artist for Thrash/Speed Metal. This morning I put on the "Unleashed memories" album by Lacuna Coil and all the tracks were truncated to 3 minutes. If they don't soon get it working as advertised I will have to cancel the service. If it worked "as advertised" it would be worth keeping. Some are looking for more features, I would just like to have it work as advertised.
PaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #175
tommy275

Quote:
Under what circumstances do you get the very long "please wait..." and "loading..." messages?
at various points front-to-back.

"loading" will come up when a finally get to the point where i click on "play all", or "top tracks", or i try to play a saved playlist and the app ostensibly starts to load the first track...and of course just sits there instead.

"please wait" various times during the user experience. usually towards the front. once i get in and start looking for artists and albums it probably happens a bit less. but then the "loading" issue presents itself. however, make no mistake about it i get stuck on "please wait" a little more often than one would think you should in 2007 with broadband connections and fast servers and whatnot.

the biggest hiccup recently seems to be the "Loading". The app simply will not load the songs and play. after 10 minutes of wrestling with it to finally get to that point, and then have it get stuck on "Loading...", well, i've come close to throwing the remote through the screen. lucky for my TV i know that won't help.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #176
sstatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy275 View Post
the biggest hiccup recently seems to be the "Loading". The app simply will not load the songs and play.
The next time this happens, could you send me a private message with the track you were trying to play, the time you tried to play it (including timezone), and your logon? And, just to keep my logs clear, could you *not* try to play that track again? It'll make it easier to find the event ...

I want to see if I can hunt down what this looks like from the service side, to see if the problem exists inside of the Rhapsody systems or not.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #177
sstatman

In a more general vein ... we've noticed a few problems with people losing their libraries, and then not being able to add tracks to their library afterwards. We've identified the issue, and will be releasing a fix for it tonight (Pacific time). If you've suffered through that, you should even get your library data back.

(The short reason why : for whatever reason, two different member IDs were created for you, likely because of a partial failure during one step of the account creation that was then retried and succeeded. Multiple ID mappings shouldn't exist for one logon, and if it does, the system just arbitrarily grabs one of them. Complexity kills predictability, yet again.)

If you're one of these folks, we're sorry that this happened. Thanks for working with us to help us diagnose the issue. If you've lost your library and it doesn't come back tonight, please message me to let me know.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM   #178
YazooWho

OK.. Here are my thoughts after playing with it for a few weeks...

It's much more stable than first rolled out, especially in starting the app.
It still freezes occasionally when playing a song and you are doing something else in the app such as search, etc. It does recover, but I can tell when the time stops in the song (audio is still going), I then stop everything and have it catch up.
With the performance still not quick, I still get frustrated with all the freezes.
Takes a really long time to pull up my playlists (about 20). Usually a few minutes. This is mainly where I start playing my songs and getting here takes a while.

Overall, not too bad and I can tell work has been done.

Thanks.
YazooWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #179
sstatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YazooWho View Post
Takes a really long time to pull up my playlists (about 20). Usually a few minutes. This is mainly where I start playing my songs and getting here takes a while.
This is actually a problem with the client app that is, I believe, getting fixed very soon. Basically, when the app wants to get your playlists (or channels) it actually grabs your entire library instead, and then plucks the playlists (or channels) out.

The service provides a mechanism for just requesting playlists, and the client app should be switching to that soon. That should speed up this request to near instant, from the service side.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #180
sstatman

The fix for the disappearing library (in which no tracks can be added to the library after it disappears) has been released.

If you've experienced this issue, could you let us know if it's resolved?