TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Carlton Bale

New $200 Rebate for Series 3 Units

The $200 TiVo Series 3 Rebate is out and can be downloaded here from TiVo.com or here from TiVoLovers.com .

It is a $200 mail-in rebate on the TiVo Series3 - this is only the original Series3 and not the TiVo HD. Purchase the Series3 between September 16th, 2007 and January 26th, 2008. The rebate must be postmarked by March 26th, 2008. You should also be able to submit your rebate online at http://www.tivorebates.com/

The key advantages of the Series 3 vs. the TiVo HD are:
  • 250GB drive vs. 160GB drive
  • TiVo Glo (backlight) remote
  • OLED Display on the Front (displays show info, etc.) and better overall appearance

A Series 3 can can be found for around $600, so $400 after rebate. This is about $100 more than what a TiVo HD will set you back.

Thanks to TiVoLovers.com for the info.

Original Post:
Quote:
At CEDIA, TiVo announced TiVoToGo and MRV for the TiVo HD / Series 3 (as Pony did here last night). In addition, they also announced a new $200 rebate on Series 3 units. I'm guessing the Series 3 model is selling very slowly since the release of the (cheaper, nearly identical) TiVo HD.

Here is the info: http://www.twice.com/article/CA6476504.html

Quote:
TWICE, 9/7/2007 6:53:00 AM
TiVo announced at CEDIA a $200 rebate on the $899 Series 3 HD model.

TiVo said retail placement for the TiVo HD box has been very strong, and the Series 3 continues to be a popular seller with custom installers and A/V specialty accounts.

TiVo platform and product management director Andrew Morrison said the company plans to upgrade both units in November to support the TiVo2Go and Multi-room Viewing feature supported in its standard-definition Series 2 devices. Firmware updates are handled remotely using a broadband connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo

Last edited by Carlton Bale : 09-17-2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Included Rebate Details
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Crap. Circuit city had the S3 for $600 and with a 10% off coupon and the $200 rebate I would have purchased one instead of another TiVoHD.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

I wonder how long until we start seeing rebates on the TiVoHD units.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:25 AM   #4
keenanSR

$899?? When was it ever $899? Is that the retail price now? I thought it was $799 from the day it was released(other than various deals here and there).

Doesn't look like such a great deal to me.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
bicker
Gruff

I suspect that was a typo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Price drops to ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Crap. Circuit city had the S3 for $600 and with a 10% off coupon and the $200 rebate I would have purchased one instead of another TiVoHD.

As of the first of Sept Circuit City, Castleton, had 75 S3's in their warehouse, none in store...

CC can drop ship to your door, if you pre-pay...

At $599 that is far better then $799, with that money you can pickup a decent sata drive... I did

But went to Best Buy, Washington Sq. that same day and they price matched with CC, had three in store... Castleton BB had one S3...

Pixelats same as the Tivo HD, AFTER the cable cards were introduced...

I think the S3 just doesn't like the SA SS cards...

Mine have gone south after 10 days, hope this the exception and not the norm
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Carlton Bale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty
I wonder how long until we start seeing rebates on the TiVoHD units.
Seeing as they are being sold below costs (info from the past earnings call), I'd say the chance of a TiVo HD rebate is pretty much zero.

: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #8
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
I suspect that was a typo.
I see Megazone left a comment about that at the Twice site.

I'd love to get a 2nd S3, or even the HD, almost did when the S3 could be had for $400, but I need to know what's happening with SDV first.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
Ishma

I saw the same thing at CEDIA. It looks like it doesn't start until 9/16. I think they were only making the announcement early so they get the word out at CEDIA.
Ishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Dropped by CC this afternoon, the pricing for the Tivo's was still at $299.00 and $599.00 respectively... Had both in stock as well... That was a first for CC...
Old 09-09-2007, 02:03 AM   #11
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
OK, now I need to find that "S3 vs. HD" thread...
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #12
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman
OK, now I need to find that "S3 vs. HD" thread...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...light=s3+vs+hd
Old 09-09-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
davezatz
Funkadelic

The S3 is a dying platform. I assume they're just clearing inventory at this point. I would rather spend my money on a T-HD and Glo Remote. In fact there's a good chance I will - once we find out what the new TTG/MRV looks like.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
puckettcg

Rebate Info

Other than the link from the OP, I can't find any reference anywhere to the reported $200 rebate on the S3. I did find the great price from CC, but if you can get an extra $200 back, it would put the price of a 32 hour S3 at the same price that you can get a 32 hour THD from Weaknees.

Anyone know where the details of the rebate are? There is no information on the CC or Tivo websites that I can find.

Thanks
puckettcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #15
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

TiVo confirmed to me that there is a rebate coming. Since it is the weekend my contact in marketing didn't have the details, but they promised to get them from sales and send them to me. So I'll post them when I get them.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #16
F4Boy

Of course a rebate is coming. Two weeks ago I thought I got a great deal from CC for $599 less 10% ($540), so I'm sure there will be a $200 rebate soon.
F4Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #17
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
The S3 is a dying platform. I assume they're just clearing inventory at this point. I would rather spend my money on a T-HD and Glo Remote. In fact there's a good chance I will - once we find out what the new TTG/MRV looks like.
I'd hardly call it a dying platform, especially considering it's only about a year old. It's just been superceded by a less expensive model. I'd consider SA Tivos as dying before the S3, yet people are still buying them and Tivo is still providing software updates for them. I'd guess Tivo doesn't consider any of them as dead or dying, and that's what really counts.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
riddick21

The series 3 in much better looking the the THD. I think there is definitely a market for it and they can easily get away with $100 markup. They should upgrade the internals but keep the case, OLED, THX, and remote for those who also want a good looking TiVo.
riddick21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #19
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

I have to wonder if this will be the usual "$200 rebate if you buy it direct from Tivo" deal. That's been their preferred model in the last couple of years, UIM. Seems that the S3 is still $799 direct from Tivo, meaning this will drop the price to $599, which is competitive with all of the third party retailers.

I'm guess that, rather than clearing inventory, they were noticing that their retail partners were dramatically undercutting them; and since selling direct at retail is going to be more profitable than selling them wholesale to those same partners even at $200 off, they're adopting a conditional price cut (e.g., jump through the hoops to get the lower price) to more effectively compete.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary
I have to wonder if this will be the usual "$200 rebate if you buy it direct from Tivo" deal. That's been their preferred model in the last couple of years, UIM.
All of their rebates in recent memory have been available for retail purchased units, not just from TiVo.com. I can't remember any rebates that were through their site only. Now, they will do *instant* rebates on their site, where the retail version is mail-in. But same end result.

The only pricing exclusive to their site has been the web specials on refurbished units.

|
|
|
Old 09-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #21
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
All of their rebates in recent memory have been available for retail purchased units, not just from TiVo.com. I can't remember any rebates that were through their site only. Now, they will do *instant* rebates on their site, where the retail version is mail-in. But same end result.

The only pricing exclusive to their site has been the web specials on refurbished units.
There was the lifetime transfer offer which was supposed to be for TiVo.com purchased units only... but that changed.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #22
Hexerott

If S3 gets the $200.00 rebate, that may just be the trigger for me to ditch DirecTv and go to cable.

I just can't pay $580+ for a tivo, $50 for a wireless network adapter and then do a 3 year agreement @ $300. That's just too much dang $$$ to lay out.

That's $930!!!! No way. Until it comes down, we wait.
Hexerott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #23
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexerott
That's $930!!!! No way. Until it comes down, we wait.
You could always go with the TiVo HD.

|
|
|
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #24
F4Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddick21
The series 3 in much better looking the the THD. I think there is definitely a market for it and they can easily get away with $100 markup. They should upgrade the internals but keep the case, OLED, THX, and remote for those who also want a good looking TiVo.
I agree! The Tivo HD is butt ugly. I know we get these things mainly for function, but the S3 is such a nice unit compared to the THD. Better remote, great display, >50% capacity over the THD, was an easy decision to get the S3 which I paid $540. If there's a $200 rebate coming, I'll pick up another one.
F4Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #25
d_anders
Sr Legacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Boy
I agree! The Tivo HD is butt ugly.
TiVo should make the TiVoHD more scalable in terms of add-ons, that could potentially be sold to all makes (S2 and above).

In a future update, here are some ideas that I would be willing to pay extra for.

1) some type of detachable face architecture would be great to add an OLED screen to the front...or

2) some type of usb add-on that place in front of the TiVo HD (could be made to work with the S2s as well).

3) Better yet, a new full RF based remote with a USB host that could connect to the S2s and S3s that would allow for 2 way communication to the remote...So I could see immediately what's recording, and playing on the remote...and once Rhapsody integration occurs, I could see the artist, album, and track info on the remote as well....logitech and TiVo could partner on that one....maybe an enhanced Harmony remote?

Tip 2 - Use hard wired ethernet or MOCA adapters

2 Premieres - Current
Series 1 - Retired
Series 2 - Retired
Series 2 DT - Retired
TiVo HD - Retired
d_anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #26
net114
Tivolitic Guru

It seems a lot of s3 users still have some cable card issues and were complaining a bit when the THD got its issues pretty much fixed recently. This would still point me in the direction of the THD since I have SA cable cards I will be using.
net114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #27
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Just to follow up, the $200 Series3 (NOT TiVo HD) rebate is out.

|
|
|
Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #28
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I sure wish someone from TiVo would make a statement about the hardware differences and where the future may lead in terms of exploiting what the TiVoHD chipset may be able to do versus the Series3 design. I've gotta figure out in the next week or two which one to buy, and I'm really leaning towards the Series3 simply for the OLED display and larger hard drive... well, and that the front panel actually looks nice... oh and because there's less delay in the graphic decoding path in the Series3 so trick play features don't feel sluggish. But I wonder if there isn't some grand plan that allows the TiVoHD hardware to be exploited further than the Series3 hardware can be.

For that matter, I'd also really like to know if the SA CableCARD macroblocking issue fix is going to be ported into the Series3 software release. That's probably the one thing making me reticent to get another Series3 right now. With the TiVoHD as a second unit, at least I'm more likely to not suffer the same problems on all receivers, if there's any problems around to suffer from.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #29
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow

I sure wish someone from TiVo would make a statement about the hardware differences and where the future may lead in terms of exploiting what the TiVoHD chipset may be able to do versus the Series3 design.
I could be wrong, but I'd venture to guess that we will never see any significant differences in capabilities between the two machines.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 AM   #30
gweempose

Quote:
This rebate is obviously intended to apply only to the original S3, but I can't for the life of me find wording that specifically excludes the Tivo HD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Tivo HD have the "Series 3" logo printed on both the outer packaging and the actual unit itself? This has the potential to cause a lot of confusion.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote